You are not going to believe this!

BillC

Just learned that Azamara has decided not to renew the contracts for the onboard harpists. Don't know the exact reason why but I suspect the "bean counters" had a hand in this decision. One of our favorite parts of our cruise days was to have a cocktail, or two, and enjoy the lovely and talented harpists, particularly Jacqueline Dolan and Mary Amanda. For a line that advertises itself with such phrases as "onboard experience that exceeds all expectations" this seems to be a move in the wrong direction.

Just learned that Azamara has decided not to renew the contracts for the onboard harpists. Don't know the exact reason why but I suspect the "bean counters" had a hand in this decision. One of our favorite parts of our cruise days was to have a cocktail, or two, and enjoy the lovely and talented harpists, particularly Jacqueline Dolan and Mary Amanda. For a line that advertises itself with such phrases as "onboard experience that exceeds all expectations" this seems to be a move in the wrong direction.

Sad news indeed. We will very much miss the harpists on our 'Journey'

cruise later this year.

That was one of the reasons that made Azamara amazing and special.

I wish 'they' would stop changing things on Azamara - especially as so often it seems not for the better.

I agree. We very much enjoyed listening to the harpist Elisabeth on Quest. My American partner was enthralled by her playing....he'd never heard a harpist before.

Azamara Management.....please stop messing about with the things that make you special! :(

I endorse everything that has been said about the harpists. We always enjoyed our pre dinner drinks listening to the harpist, it is such a melodic instrument, and created a really special ambience.

Another bad move from Azamara, it seems they are determined to shoot themselves in the foot!

I really do hope they reconsider.

Even assuming the poster is correct about the contract not being renewed, it does not necessarily mean they are eliminating the harpists altogether. Maybe they are getting different ones.

Seems a tad premature to bash Azamara about their "bad" decision when we do not even know if such a decision was made. Maybe they have some other entertainment in mind that they want to try? How can we hope to know these things?

For the record, I like the harpists.

Best,

Bruce

What sad news! My favorite entertainer on the Quest last year was Meta Goldberg, a very talented harpist who added a lot to my enjoyment of the cruise. I was looking forward to more harp music on my cruises aboard the Journey this October. I would have gladly traded a group of musicians if they retained a harpist. It added a lot of class to a cruise.

Just to set the record straight - all the harpist contracts on both the Journey and Quest are not being renewed.

Just remembered seeing Jacqueline's photo being displayed by the gangway as employee of the month last December.She's been on holiday at her home in Banff and was planning on joining Journey in several weeks.

I do hope this isn't true...we so enjoyed the harpist...so relaxing during the cocktail hour. We are just about to book a cruise for 2014 (I know I said we probably wouldn't at the new prices, but we loooove Azamara) and hope this isn't the start of a lot of changes.

To the good people at Azamara: Please, Please, Please reconsider this decision! The wonderful harpists are such an important part of the Azamara family. From the moment we board the ship when the sounds of the harp welcome us from the stairwell to such special events as an emotional Rememberance day service or perhaps the time we followed Jaqueline Dolan and Eric Degray up a narrow mountain pathway to a little church in Portofino where they performed the most awesome rendition of "Amazing Grace"....these people are all so special and have provided us with wonderful music and memories.

I am feeling badly now that perhaps I did not mention this often enough on our comment cards at the end of each cruise. Like Bill C., we have come to know and to enjoy the beautiful music and friendship of Jaqueline and Mary Amanda.

I cannot stress enough how important these unique people are to the enjoyment of our Azamara" experiences.

I also would greatly want the harpists to stay on Azamara. What elegance they add to the atmosphere, that one does not get on another cruise line.

I love to listen to their music and the harpists whom I have met on both Journey and Quest were very lovely people.

Please, Azamara, keep the harpists!!!

Hello BillC and others -

I have passed on your message and the comments from the other readers to our Vice President of Hotel Operations to verify if your assertion that we have decided to eliminate the onboard harpists is indeed accurate.

I'm curious about how you came to learn this "news." I'm assuming from someone onboard. Often comments that are generated from someone onboard might be the result of their speculation generated by conversations that might have been taken out of context.

I'm hoping to receive a quick response; however, most of our operation and shore excursion teams have been attending the 2013 Cruise Shipping Conference in Miami from March 11-14 and meeting with various technical companies and land destination representatives.

I'll respond on this thread when I receive the answer.

I appreciate your loyalty to our experience and for taking your time to share your thoughts about the value that our harpist add to the Azamara experience.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

If true, this is sad news indeed. Am waiting with bated breath for the 'official line'. The harpists add soooo much to the onboard experience, both as performers and as people (ambassadors for Azamara).

If true, this is sad news indeed. Am waiting with bated breath for the 'official line'. The harpists add soooo much to the onboard experience, both as performers and as people (ambassadors for Azamara).

I agree, if this is correct it is yet more bad news from Azamara.

We had decided that our cruise on Quest in Dec 2012 would probably be our last with Azamara mainly because of the changes that are about to take effect..

Recently I have been reconsidering that decision because we would miss the Azamara experience so much.

It looks as if that experience is about to be changed again & not for the better..

Mr. Leiber has formally acknowledged notice of the concern and apparently is doing his best to find out what in fact has occurred. It seems only fair to give him some time to find out and respond.

To be fair, I think everyone is very appreciative of Bill's efforts. This is about Azamara senior management, and their cavalier attitude to their customers.

Bill should not have to ask day after day for information which should have been provided when these changes were announced.

I have no doubt that Bill is as much in the dark as we are.

To be fair, I think everyone is very appreciative of Bill's efforts. This is about Azamara senior management, and their cavalier attitude to their customers.

Bill should not have to ask day after day for information which should have been provided when these changes were announced.

I have no doubt that Bill is as much in the dark as we are.

Apologies, I was referring to the AI aspect and obviously thought I was in the thread dealing with that.

With reference to the harpists, of course we should wait for confirmation that this is correct, but I think we all wanted to put our view across so that management realise how much enjoyment they gave.

We too really enjoyed Mary Amanda on our recent Journey cruise. Not only was her playing beautiful, but her excellent discussions about the harp and its history brought a whole new awareness about the instrument. She was a better enrichment speaker than some the "official" ones on the cruise.

Just heard Azamara is considering the removal of the Harpists, Mary and Jacqueline...due to cost considerations. That would be very disappointing.

We consider their music an integral piece to the ambiance of cocktail hour, dining and many of the special functions. We often requested a table just on the other side of the wall just to enjoy them during dinner. They are a signature, a classic touch of the "Azamazing Experience".

Archived