You are not going to believe this!

BillC

I hope there is more to Azamara than above, although nicely pleaded, because all the things (apart from laundry) that you mention, we have experienced on NCL, no night time turn down treats on celebrity even though in concierge class. NCL has lovely chocs and sometimes other things everynight and they are a very reasonably priced cruise, with a harpist!

I am expecting substantially better than NCL from Azamara :)

We always receive chocolates on Celebrity, but they are awful and ended up unwrapped and left in a big pile. HAL still has the best chocolates.

Where have the harpists slept at night?

Assuming the harpists each stayed in a cabin that could be sold to the public, my guess would be that was the logic. An extra $6,000 to $10,000 per cruise for both ships? Double that if they each had the stateroom to themselves. If they stayed in the crew quarters I really doesn't understand.

As i understand it, the harpists are members of the entertainment staff and are therefore crew - only guest entertainers ( those that arrive for a few days for big shows) occupy resale able rooms. That is why duos, harpists, the orchestra etc all take roles in things like safety drills, excursions etc

Therefore the maths must be contract costs, and if they are replaced by other entertainment, it was not cost that was the driver but a view from somewhere they wanted to change the ambience.

I would also get rid of the canapés for a cost saving measure

All I can say is I am glad our next month cruise on Azamara is our last.

I will miss the great service on board but really feel Azamara is going in a questionable direction that I find difficult to understand. I remember Larry P saying something on his post that there are other cruise lines out there and you know what he is right, we are taking his advice.

As I understand it, unless things have changed Mary Amanda is on Journey until mid April

If Larry P truly wants to make Azamara a "de luxe bespoke" cruise experience then getting rid of one of the major reasons that would qualify them to be described thus is surely a big mistake. The passionate response from all Azamara fans here is "please keep the Harpists".

You can definitely get rid of the horrible chocolates at turndown and the Nespresso though! :D

...... NCL has lovely chocs and sometimes other things everynight and they are a very reasonably priced cruise, with a harpist!

I am expecting substantially better than NCL from Azamara :)

I have to disillusion you regarding turn down treats, Azamara don't supply a pillow chocolate either, just a chocolate flavoured cake square (don't know how else to describe them) which IMHO are horrid:(

On other cruise lines I usually take the pillow chocs home for the grandchildren as a little treat, but if you like chocolate i suggest you take your own on-board.

I haven't sailed on NCL for over 10 years but i have fond memories of their wonderful chocolate extravaganzas, simply the best.

Agree that losing harpist is a BAD move.

As they double up as guides etc. and are housed in "crew" accommodation" then presumably someone else will have to do that so no real saving.

I doubt if their wages are a great deal more than £500 per week so a saving of £1 per passenger.

Is it really worth upsetting regulars for that extra bit of STYLE which might encourage the $200,000 /$3000,000 passengers Larry wants?.

Obviously somebody thinks so.

Who was it said " accountants know the cost of everything but the value of nothing!!!"

ANOTHER BAD MOVE AZAMARA

I am sure when the figures come in for inclusive drinks we will see prices reducing.

I have already been offered flight hotel and balcony for 8 day cruise at £1400 which is pretty good for me.

I believe that they may drop all inclusive but allow those who have paid up front to get that deal to be used via their in pass card.

They really do not seem to know what to do.

At the end of the day the ships are relatively old with small cabins.

It is only the Azamara experience that keeps us regulars going and penny pinching does not improve the feeling we all have towards the company.

I will not say "BRAND" as I do not sail a brand but a SHIP!!

Not directly relevant to the harpist, but as this thread has spread somewhat and Oceania has been mentioned a couple of times I decided to do a little experiment this morning and looked at two fairly similar Asia itineraries in February 2014. One on Azamara Journey, the other on Oceania Nautica. The Journey cruise is 14 nights and the Nautica is 16 nights. Taking a V2 equivalent category the price on Azamara is £3400 per person and the Nautica is £5498 per person (I've adjusted the Azamara price as originally it doesn't include taxes and fees and Oceania does). I have to say that after reading many posts on this board about Oceania as competition and not having done a price up like this before I was shocked at how much more Oceania is, even allowing for an extra couple of days at maybe £500. Promotions along the way muddy the waters somewhat, but considering the Oceania price is marked as a "special promotion" they would seem a lot more expensive.

Incidentally I checked my invoice from my February 2012 14 night Asia trip and comparing it to the Azamara cruise next February the price has gone up about £900 per person for a category N1. In all the talk of the prices going up I don't think I have seen any actual comparative figures. As was said earlier it is down to individuals to work out if this rise is worth it and indeed what else is out there for the price and similar experience, the bean counters at work notwithstanding.

Phil

Agree that losing harpist is a BAD move.

As they double up as guides etc. and are housed in "crew" accommodation" then presumably someone else will have to do that so no real saving.

I doubt if their wages are a great deal more than £500 per week so a saving of £1 per passenger.

Is it really worth upsetting regulars for that extra bit of STYLE which might encourage the $200,000 /$3000,000 passengers Larry wants?.

Obviously somebody thinks so.

Who was it said " accountants know the cost of everything but the value of nothing!!!"

ANOTHER BAD MOVE AZAMARA

I am sure when the figures come in for inclusive drinks we will see prices reducing.

I have already been offered flight hotel and balcony for 8 day cruise at £1400 which is pretty good for me.

I believe that they may drop all inclusive but allow those who have paid up front to get that deal to be used via their in pass card.

They really do not seem to know what to do.

At the end of the day the ships are relatively old with small cabins.

It is only the Azamara experience that keeps us regulars going and penny pinching does not improve the feeling we all have towards the company.

I will not say "BRAND" as I do not sail a brand but a SHIP!!

I think you have put your finger on it Proctor. The Azamara marketing folk and bean counters are concentrating too much on 'the brand ' and too little on the ship experience, which incidentally is becoming less and less 'bespoke'!

Bill,

In your response regarding the removal of the harpists, you stated:

"Although the harpists will be absent, I believe you know that you will be served an exceptional onboard experience by our team that performs at consistently high levels."

From the volume and emotional responses expressed on this board to the news on the harpists, its clear that they provided a significant amout of ambiance and entertainment; plus just general goodwill with passengers.

My question is: What specifically is Azamara replacing them with to provide a similar experience? In other words, with this loss, how is the "exceptional onboard experience" going to be maintained?

Not directly relevant to the harpist, but as this thread has spread somewhat and Oceania has been mentioned a couple of times I decided to do a little experiment this morning and looked at two fairly similar Asia itineraries in February 2014. One on Azamara Journey, the other on Oceania Nautica. The Journey cruise is 14 nights and the Nautica is 16 nights. Taking a V2 equivalent category the price on Azamara is £3400 per person and the Nautica is £5498 per person (I've adjusted the Azamara price as originally it doesn't include taxes and fees and Oceania does). I have to say that after reading many posts on this board about Oceania as competition and not having done a price up like this before I was shocked at how much more Oceania is, even allowing for an extra couple of days at maybe £500. Promotions along the way muddy the waters somewhat, but considering the Oceania price is marked as a "special promotion" they would seem a lot more expensive.

Incidentally I checked my invoice from my February 2012 14 night Asia trip and comparing it to the Azamara cruise next February the price has gone up about £900 per person for a category N1. In all the talk of the prices going up I don't think I have seen any actual comparative figures. As was said earlier it is down to individuals to work out if this rise is worth it and indeed what else is out there for the price and similar experience, the bean counters at work notwithstanding.

Phil

Phil, we are taking an 18 night transatlantic cruise to Rio on Oceania Marina in November, the lowest priced balcony (which is now waitlisted) is £2772pp inclusive of flights & taxes (approx £3020pp with grats), a similar cruise in November in the lowest priced balcony on Azamara Journey to Rio for 16 nights with flights, taxes and grats is £4291pp.

These prices are booking direct with the cruise companies.

Sorry for going off topic :o

Phil, we are taking an 18 night transatlantic cruise to Rio on Oceania Marina in November, the lowest priced balcony (which is now waitlisted) is £2772pp inclusive of flights & taxes (approx £3020pp with grats), a similar cruise in November in the lowest priced balcony on Azamara Journey to Rio for 16 nights with flights, taxes and grats is £4291pp.

These prices are booking direct with the cruise companies.

Sorry for going off topic :o

I'm going to start a separate thread and this is the sort of thing that is really useful to see rather than vague reference to Azamara's "huge" price increases and "at these prices I am going to look at the luxury lines" which at the end of the day doesn't really help much. Thanks for posting this.

Phil

Sometimes I wonder why I read cruisecritic. With the issues on EVERY cruise line, the complainers on each cruiseline's board will make you question why you're doing what you're doing, and the rampant company-can-do-no-wrong cheerleaders on each cruiseline's board will make you think that cruiseline is the only way to travel. :rolleyes:

Of course, there are pieces of information that can be gained here on cruisecritic. It's a way to learn things you might not otherwise learn, or at least learn them way earlier. But wow, comments such as the ones in this thread really make me question cc's value.

We judge for our own as best we can. We had a very wonderful cruise with Azamara and intend to stick with them until we don't have a good time (we don't cruise that often, so maybe that's why we're not as invested in the whole 'who's the best/who's too awful for words' debate). We have had great experiences on Royal Caribbean in the tropics in our younger days, but now we want to avoid the big ships. We have run into issues with other upscale cruises during/after booking, or were dissatisfied with their smoking policies. So Azamara it is, for us at least, and for now.

I can remember a string quartet on the Oceania Marina that was a delight and added greatly to the cruise experience.

Quick impressions, and I apologize for stating what might be the obvious.

First, Azamara's management has as its goal increasing materially profitability.

Second, Azamara is a boutique cruise line. It has, or soon will have, only 30 percent of the passenger capacity of Oceania to sell. If Azamara had more cabins to sell, the pricing would be lower.

Third, Azamara is doubling down on destination immersion--its occasionally different itineraries and its occasionally longer time in ports with its Azamazing evenings--as its big selling point, its way to distinguish its brand.

Appealing to those who like cruises that focus on the itineraries and the country club dress code, Azamara, whose ships are not special, is pushing the envelope with its pricing. Again, it has relatively few cabins to sell--it's almost as though Oceania consisted of a tad larger Marina or Riviera.

The next 12 months will tell, both with the occupancy rates on the 2013 cruises and the cruise reviews that address whether Azamara is good value.

One or two of you have mentioned that your speakers weren't great on Azamara.

On the Quest to Antarctica, ours were outstanding. Nigel Marven talked about the animals. Chuck Richardson talked about the local people, the history and the geography. Truly, they were outstanding. The audience of cruisers was very attentive and appreciative.

That having been said, I believe the ambience will be diminished, without a harpist on board. Only a string duo or quartet could serve the same purpose. Perhaps there will be more opportunity to hear the Azamara Orchestra. One can always hope.

Destination Immersion

Now if I was a cynic and was sitting in yet another meeting in Miami in how to save costs how about this for an idea.

Lets call it Destination Immersion.

We stay a lot longer in ports so we do not have to run those nasty engines polluting the atmosphere (we can present as a GREEN option) between ports and passengers can save us money on meals as they are all ashore (on our expensive excursions) and paying for their own food and drink.

Next we can offer them an EXCLUSIVE excursion (only another 694 people with you) which if you forget to cancel this FREE excursion will cost you $150.

Any body else any ideas ???!!!

Destination Immersion

Next we can offer them an EXCLUSIVE excursion (only another 694 people with you) which if you forget to cancel this FREE excursion will cost you $150.

Hi procter,

We will be on an Azamara cruise later this year. I have already seen what the Azamazing excursion is and we are not interested on going on it. Are you saying that if you book it but forget to cancel it will cost $150 or is everyone presumed to want to go on the tour UNLESS one says they do not wish to go on it?

Hi procter,

We will be on an Azamara cruise later this year. I have already seen what the Azamazing excursion is and we are not interested on going on it. Are you saying that if you book it but forget to cancel it will cost $150 or is everyone presumed to want to go on the tour UNLESS one says they do not wish to go on it?

Sorry to butt in;)

You have to book the event to be able to attend, however, if you just don't turn up (because its Free-ish) without cancelling you will be charged. Assumption they are treating the free-ish event like any other shore excursion. You must cancel if you are not going going only if you booked it in the first place!

Yvonne:)

Well, here's where I will respectfully disagree.

I would separate the recently announced "enhancements" from the overall "enhanced" experience we have enjoyed on the "same old" ACC. Certainly the experience was superior to our cruises on Celebrity and HAL and, as I've stated, underpriced.

Secondly, I am certain that onboard we will not be analyzing how head office at Miami operates, nor the means they use to convince us of the "value" of our cruise.

We will simply enjoy the experience, giving credit to that head office for the features we particularly appreciate, and, as you state, assessing how the recent "enhancements" impact that enjoyment.

But we will miss the harpists!

Thanks so much for your response. My husband and I will be taking our first cruise with Azamara this year. After reading some of the posts and threads, I began to wonder whether Azamara either has more than its share of complainers or that it is going "downhill." We have taken many cruises on other lines and know that there will always be those who for whatever reason (legitimate or otherwise) do not enjoy themselves. I am hoping that our experience with Azamara will be just as positive as our experiences with other lines. I think one of the problems I see on these negative threads is that change (especially cost increase) is always difficult to deal with. Perhaps, too, the people who are comimg across as more negative are simply disappointed with a much-loved cruise line. I do hope the actual cruise experience will not be a disappointment as well.

Thanks so much for your response. My husband and I will be taking our first cruise with Azamara this year. After reading some of the posts and threads, I began to wonder whether Azamara either has more than its share of complainers or that it is going "downhill." We have taken many cruises on other lines and know that there will always be those who for whatever reason (legitimate or otherwise) do not enjoy themselves. I am hoping that our experience with Azamara will be just as positive as our experiences with other lines. I think one of the problems I see on these negative threads is that change (especially cost increase) is always difficult to deal with. Perhaps, too, the people who are comimg across as more negative are simply disappointed with a much-loved cruise line. I do hope the actual cruise experience will not be a disappointment as well.

We are in the same position. We've taken mainstream cruises (Celebrity) and high end ones (Regent, Silverseas). We were especially disappointed in the Silverseas cruise (even though we went for a song), especially the dress code and overall formality. So we decided to give Azamara a try. I do hope the "all-inclusive" aspect sticks, but other than that, I'm inclined to think lots of the griping is, in fact, a feeling of uncertainty as to how the "new" Azamara is going to turn out. At least, that's what we're hoping.;)

I don't feel I am griping when I say I will miss the harp. Although I still like Azamara, I think Azamara needs to know how thier customers feel about change. We all make decisions on where to cruise based on where we feel we get value for money. Market research is time consuming and expensive, and it appears that Azamara, with CBO Bill Leber and Larry Pimentel as CEO are interested in CruiseCritic and pay attention to these postings. I feel we have a responsibility to voice our opinion. Here is a youtube video of the harpist we had on the Quest last year.

I don't feel I am griping when I say I will miss the harp. It appears that Azamara, with CBO Bill Leber and Larry Pimentel as CEO are interested in CruiseCritic and pay attention to these postings. I feel we have a responsibility to voice our opinion.

I do not disagree. From what I can tell, the Azamara people do care what is said here, and I would have loved to see the harpists. My wife and I NEVER make it past dinner to see any of the shows, so what we do see is whomever is playing in the bars before dinner. A harpist would have fit the bill perfectly, and I'm sorry we will miss them.:(

Sorry to butt in;)

You have to book the event to be able to attend, however, if you just don't turn up (because its Free-ish) without cancelling you will be charged. Assumption they are treating the free-ish event like any other shore excursion. You must cancel if you are not going going only if you booked it in the first place!

Yvonne:)

Hi Yvonne,

Thank you for your post - I assumed that would be the answer, but, with so many things 'in the air' at the moment with Azamara I wanted to get an answer and not leave things to ones own interpretation. We have been on Azamara before but it was 2 - 3 years ago and so much has changed since then.

I don't feel I am griping when I say I will miss the harp. Although I still like Azamara, I think Azamara needs to know how thier customers feel about change. We all make decisions on where to cruise based on where we feel we get value for money. Market research is time consuming and expensive, and it appears that Azamara, with CBO Bill Leber and Larry Pimentel as CEO are interested in CruiseCritic and pay attention to these postings. I feel we have a responsibility to voice our opinion. Here is a youtube video of the harpist we had on the Quest last year.

Hi, captainmcd,

We too will miss the harpist. Let's hope the 'powers that be' watch the wonderful video you attached to your post. Lovely lady and massive talent. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to hear it. You never know, it may change some Miami minds!

Thank you for posting that link. I have just watched it and it just reinforces what an incredibly beautiful instrument the harp is. I do hope Azamara review their decision.

You are welcome.

As you discern, some posters are legitimately concerned about the "change" that might well negatively impact a "much-loved" cruse line. That may well mean that, especially in terms of price, choices may need revision. That will be disappointing but, since we bear none of the responsibility for, nor have any experience in, running a cruise line that is part of a larger corporation, we will simply do what's best for us with a minimum of cavilling. Others have a different approach.

It's also true that on other cruise line forums there are similar concerns about the dilution of the product: witness the return of the dreaded "art auction" on Oceania. All lines are seeking to improve revenue.

That being said, we will soon be on our third cruise on the Quest, and, if it is anything like our first two, we will have a wonderful time.

We consider the experiences memorable whether a "white night" at the port of Malta, a tenor entertaining us on open deck with Sorrento in the background, or simply enjoying the "sights" at ports by means of an inluded shuttle service. We will, of course, evaluate the impact of the recent "changes" when onboard.

My principle re: a "minimum of cavilling" allows me to continue to express regrets concerning the loss of the harpists. However, there is much else to enjoy.

Given your balanced approach, I really believe you will enjoy your itinerary, the crew, and the culture on board the ship. I also look forward to your assessment.

All the best.

Archived