Oceania Acquisition Rumour ???

wandrr

Boss;es silence tells us this is not worth his time and ..They are building new ships.. That I do know..

Jancruz1

I do hope ur right. A vehement denial along with a comment on the absurdity of the rumor would be comforting to many of us. Lol. Obviously if there is some truth to it he must stay silent. Of course he could choose to stay silent anyway. Lol

I do not know what building ships has to do with it.

The last post is more than relevant from Carnival's side I think. When you have a lot of brands you want complimentary ones not competitive ones.

But my general reaction to the idea is "quel horreur" - I will not set foot on a ship owned by Carnival, thank you very much!!

I wouldn't knock it until you've tried it. Carnival does own Seabourn and Seabourn is a far superior product to Regent IMO.

/and no I'm not suggesting you try Carnival itself or any of their lesser lines, just Seabourn.

It was not that long ago the rumour was it was RCCL buying Oceania :D

I agree with Jan

I am sure FDR is having a good chuckle over all these rumours people come up with

Lyn

no matter how you slice it in my book, Seabourn is just an other version of Carnival : Carnival-Carnivan Carnival-Costa, Carnival- Princess, Carnival-Holland, Carnival-Cunard, and Carnival-Seabourn

To me, the carnival product is web of smoke and mirrors.

Seabourn... is just an over priced ( to me) carnival cruise a budget Silverseas or Crystal

If there is a sale, I predict inside investors with Regent and Oceania will with perhapse some loyal passengers, snap up the IPO when offered.

Perhaps I'm not seeing it in your cruise history, or your posting history, but have you ever actually sailed on Seabourn and Carnival (or SilverSeas or Crystal) to have been able to formulate this comparison from actual first hand experience or are you following in the footsteps of another poster who shall not be named who will post negative comments about lines they've never been on.

Perhaps I'm not seeing it in your cruise history, or your posting history, but have you ever actually sailed on Seabourn and Carnival (or SilverSeas or Crystal) to have been able to formulate this comparison from actual first hand experience or are you following in the footsteps of another poster who shall not be named who will post negative comments about lines they've never been on.

Whoa, whoa, whoa big guy ... since when are empirical statements based on no facts, no actual experience and incorrect information discouraged on Cruise Critic? I thought that it was a must!

Please respect the boss's silence. I am new to Oceania and we are very much looking forward to our first cruise. In my opinion the "boss" seems an honourable man who has personally helped many an individual on this forum. If Oceania are involved in any "talks", believe me his tongue will be well and truly tied. One thing I have learned in business and indeed in life is that you can never say never!

Well said, Greenamber.

This has been discussed previously. First, PHC is owned by a hedge fund that is not interested in being a long- term player in the cruise industry. When the stars are aligned they will sell, make a handsome profit and move on to their next investment. That's the business of hedge funds. The sale will not take place until the investors believe they can maximize their profit. That will take a good market- which we now have thankfully. A good earnings report from both O and R for several quarters and good bookings looking forward at least a year. Plus other stars aligned that I won' bore you with.

Bottom line is a sale will happen. It may be this year, next year, 2015 or later. But it will happen as the owners of PHC are not long- term players.

That's good, sound, business 101. But, business 201 introduces another side. Instead of a sale, think IPO. FDR has mentioned it. Oceania (and Regent under PCH) are successful enough to stand on their own. And Apollo, the so-called "hedge fund", recently indicated their preference when they participated in the successful IPO of NCL.

I remember the rumors that RCCL, thriugh their Azamara subsidiary, would buy Oceania. I stated at the time it was more likely that Oceania would buy Azamara, and I stand by that.

PCH is a unique product, with it's original investors still owning 30% of the company, and I doubt they will ever be merged into someone else's common-place product.

That's good, sound, business 101. But, business 201 introduces another side. Instead of a sale, think IPO. FDR has mentioned it. Oceania (and Regent under PCH) are successful enough to stand on their own. And Apollo, the so-called "hedge fund", recently indicated their preference when they participated in the successful IPO of NCL.

I remember the rumors that RCCL, thriugh their Azamara subsidiary, would buy Oceania. I stated at the time it was more likely that Oceania would buy Azamara, and I stand by that.

PCH is a unique product, with it's original investors still owning 30% of the company, and I doubt they will ever be merged into someone else's common-place product.

Good point, Hondorner.

I would also note that a spy a the recently concluded Cruise shipping Miami Conference did not see hide nor hair of any O or R execs. Very strange that a major player in the industry would keep such a low profile at the industry's annual major conference. Makes one wonder if something might be brewing.

I have been on every cruise line out there except HAL. Every comment I make would only be MY opinion. Why are we tearing Oceania up on this board? Right now it appears to me that they not only have fine, fine management, but they have superior ships and a superior product. Yes, I plan to be very loyal. I have been there and done that on all of them. I guess as the old saying goes, "if people are not talking about you, you are not doing a good job". Well, I guess by the sound of this thread, Oceania is doing a superior job...since most of you seem intent of dragging them down. Right now--their ships are the best--their management is the best--and do I wish for a few changes, yes.l..but it not a decision that is for me to make. Go Oceania--you are doing great!

No one in the know can say anything specific about such a significant event that would effect an investment. A rumour is meaningless.

I heard a rumour that a Fellow Designated as Responsible was considering leaving Pizza Crust Holdings to take a new career as a Greeter at a local cruise terminal. In fact has unofficially tried out for the job already. But then I also heard they do not have such a position. Okay, those are not true.

But have you heard this one:

I've heard Oceania's fabulous chocolate croissants are actually made from scratch on ship every morning! From imported ingredients. By hand. By people working away in the wee hours of the morning. Quietly, in secret, 'below decks'!

But have you also heard the one about a duck that waddles into a bakery. The baker looks down at the duck. The duck looks up at the baker and asks ...

I have been on every cruise line out there except HAL. Every comment I make would only be MY opinion. Why are we tearing Oceania up on this board? Right now it appears to me that they not only have fine, fine management, but they have superior ships and a superior product. Yes, I plan to be very loyal. I have been there and done that on all of them. I guess as the old saying goes, "if people are not talking about you, you are not doing a good job". Well, I guess by the sound of this thread, Oceania is doing a superior job...since most of you seem intent of dragging them down. Right now--their ships are the best--their management is the best--and do I wish for a few changes, yes.l..but it not a decision that is for me to make. Go Oceania--you are doing great!

I am a bit confused as I don't see this thread as tearing down Oceania = more like everyone hoping that a great product is not going to be taken over so it can stay just as it is ??

and speculating on things that make newbies nervous. There are decisions that management should and can make and I feel that people who post should be more low key and less "in your face". Why start a rumor that might be detrimental to an excellent product. That's how I see it. I wish someone would take this thread off the board personally.

and speculating on things that make newbies nervous. There are decisions that management should and can make and I feel that people who post should be more low key and less "in your face". Why start a rumor that might be detrimental to an excellent product. That's how I see it. I wish someone would take this thread off the board personally.

Because not everyone is like you. As much as you wish to see this thread die (ironic that you post in it/bump it, isn't it?) there are others, including FDR who seem to see it as harmless or mildly amusing entertainment.

HawaiiDan,

Saying Seabourn is the same as Carnival is like saying Ritz Carlton is the same as Courtyard Inn just because they're owned by the same company. It's a statement based on no fact at all.

Carnival.., Seabourn and Crystal for several visits... Silver Seas too, Ritz, yup.. and Courtyard... Ditto Four Seasons, too..

In truth I did find similiarities in the Carnival products, just as with the Marriott product. That is my somewhat subjective personal opinion based on that which I have seen, felt and experienced comanalities.

You are free to differ, however, thats how I see it...as I dont wear rose colored glasses

Unlike some I dont see the necessity of posting everything I have ever done, seen or had experiences . I have been around the block in the past 40 years .

As for Carnival, I hear they are busy buying up old Russian submarines for their Costa line, so when they submerge it wont be bad PR.... They are having difficulties presently putting verandas on them however.

:o

Archived