Oceania Acquisition Rumour ???

wandrr

While on a recent HAL cruise, some of us were discussing Oceania as an alternative to another cruise on HAL. A RUMOUR came up about a possible acquisition of Oceania by Carnival Corp, the parent owner of HAL, Carnival, Cunard and a bunch of other lines. I stress that this was a rumour, but has anyone heard anything like that? :confused:

This has been discussed previously. First, PHC is owned by a hedge fund that is not interested in being a long- term player in the cruise industry. When the stars are aligned they will sell, make a handsome profit and move on to their next investment. That's the business of hedge funds. The sale will not take place until the investors believe they can maximize their profit. That will take a good market- which we now have thankfully. A good earnings report from both O and R for several quarters and good bookings looking forward at least a year. Plus other stars aligned that I won' bore you with.

Bottom line is a sale will happen. It may be this year, next year, 2015 or later. But it will happen as the owners of PHC are not long- term players.

This has been discussed previously. First, PHC is owned by a hedge fund that is not interested in being a long- term player in the cruise industry. When the stars are aligned they will sell, make a handsome profit and move on to their next investment. That's the business of hedge funds. The sale will not take place until the investors believe they can maximize their profit. That will take a good market- which we now have thankfully. A good earnings report from both O and R for several quarters and good bookings looking forward at least a year. Plus other stars aligned that I won' bore you with.

Bottom line is a sale will happen. It may be this year, next year, 2015 or later. But it will happen as the owners of PHC are not long- term players.

Is that why they've been hosing Regent and its passengers for years while sending all the good staff to O?

This pretty well states the case of BUSINESS 101. Having founded a business I know you take the bills payable and collectable and the bottom line to bed each night . Too many seem the think Oceania is just a nice expereince for them to enjoy. No welfare here just hard dollars and sense.

The last post is more than relevant from Carnival's side I think. When you have a lot of brands you want complimentary ones not competitive ones.

But my general reaction to the idea is "quel horreur" - I will not set foot on a ship owned by Carnival, thank you very much!!

THey would have to chop Seabourn ...they already have a full dance card.

Oceania and Regent dont fit at all.:cool:

Maybe!!! but things change. Windstar have recently (19 Feb 13) announced the purchase of Seabourn Pride, Legend and Spirit. They join Windstar starting April 14.

Maybe!!! but things change. Windstar have recently (19 Feb 13) announced the purchase of Seabourn Pride, Legend and Spirit. They join Windstar starting April 14.

Yes but that was just the three ships not the company..I dint think the boss will come on line about this (but he may) as far as I know NOTHING like this will happen!!

Jancruz1

What if anything does the "boss's" silence tell us?

He is a good Business Man. ;)

"For Seabourn's part, the sale of its smallest ships presents a new opportunity and the line will now focus on augmenting its fleet of larger vessels that currently includes the 450-passenger Seabourn Odyssey, Seabourn Sojourn, and Seabourn Quest. According to Richard Meadows, president of the cruise line, "Seabourn is already in discussion with shipbuilders and an order is likely to be announced within the current fiscal year. The new ship will allow Seabourn to maintain much of its current guest capacity." The fourth ship will be similar in design and capacity to Odyssey, Sojourn, and Quest."

Well that solves this post re Oceania's future.

http://www.fodors.com/news/windstar-expands-fleet-with-three-yachts-from-seabourn-6498.html

'

no matter how you slice it in my book, Seabourn is just an other version of Carnival : Carnival-Carnivan Carnival-Costa, Carnival- Princess, Carnival-Holland, Carnival-Cunard, and Carnival-Seabourn

To me, the carnival product is web of smoke and mirrors.

Seabourn... is just an over priced ( to me) carnival cruise a budget Silverseas or Crystal

If there is a sale, I predict inside investors with Regent and Oceania will with perhapse some loyal passengers, snap up the IPO when offered.

Please respect the boss's silence. I am new to Oceania and we are very much looking forward to our first cruise. In my opinion the "boss" seems an honourable man who has personally helped many an individual on this forum. If Oceania are involved in any "talks", believe me his tongue will be well and truly tied. One thing I have learned in business and indeed in life is that you can never say never!

Archived