Splendor is almost "home"

Cyber Kat

Genoa Italy and Long Beach twice.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for pink frosted donuts.

Genoa - awesome! I knew about Long Beach, but not Genoa. And as long as those pink frosted donuts are taking me to the Caribbean, they're my new favorite flavor! Time to make the donuts!

LOL - we did Canada in June and we had brought some warm stuff with us but not enough. First day out you couldn't get in the clothes shop. Everyone on the ship was looking for sweatshirts. They sold out. My sister and I were lucky to get long sleeved t-shirts.

I watched the Splendor sail out. It was a super duper gorgeous day here, just perfect for sailing out of NY, but it was COLD and I saw pax on the top decks and I thought, man...they must be freezing their arses off.

Okay I have some questions for my Splendor pros ...

We do late seating dining, but we don't like to stand in the lines that form when it's close to dinner time. On the Legend and the Miracle there was a really nice bar just outside the MDR. We would grab a seat (if you could find one!) and have a cocktail while waiting.

Since our cabin is an aft, we're hoping to get assigned to the Gold Pearl. In looking at the deck plans, there is the Robusto not-a-cigar bar on deck 4. It's a big space. What do they use it for? Is it open before dinner? I'm also looking at the El Mojito Wine bar on deck 5. I love a wine bar - is that what they use it for?

I'm also wondering how they use the Cool Lounge and the El Morocco aft lounge. Our cabin is just above this on deck 6. I'm not worried about noise so much, because we stay up late, but again I'm wondering how they use it.

And where are the ice cream stations? I must have my daily fix of chocolate yogurt - it's healthy, right? :D

Still getting conflicting info about the Mongolian Wok and the Burrito bar. I was told the Burrito bar replaced the Mongolian Wok, but someone else posted pics of both in a review ... I'm so confused and I'm hoping for Spring rolls (which they may not even have at the Mongolian Wok!) I do like both woks and burritos :)

I'm studying the deck plans so I have some idea where I'm going when I get on board! And I know there's an "All things Splendor," thread, but I'm afraid some of that information is no longer valid.

We do late seating dining, but we don't like to stand in the lines that form when it's close to dinner time. On the Legend and the Miracle there was a really nice bar just outside the MDR. We would grab a seat (if you could find one!) and have a cocktail while waiting.

Since our cabin is an aft, we're hoping to get assigned to the Gold Pearl. In looking at the deck plans, there is the Robusto not-a-cigar bar on deck 4. It's a big space. What do they use it for? Is it open before dinner? I'm also looking at the El Mojito Wine bar on deck 5. I love a wine bar - is that what they use it for?

I'm also wondering how they use the Cool Lounge and the El Morocco aft lounge. Our cabin is just above this on deck 6. I'm not worried about noise so much, because we stay up late, but again I'm wondering how they use it.

And where are the ice cream stations? I must have my daily fix of chocolate yogurt - it's healthy, right? :D

Still getting conflicting info about the Mongolian Wok and the Burrito bar. I was told the Burrito bar replaced the Mongolian Wok, but someone else posted pics of both in a review ... I'm so confused and I'm hoping for Spring rolls (which they may not even have at the Mongolian Wok!) I do like both woks and burritos :)

I'm studying the deck plans so I have some idea where I'm going when I get on board! And I know there's an "All things Splendor," thread, but I'm afraid some of that information is no longer valid.

I swear I hate being a beginner! I read posts such as these and I'm like HUH!? LOL! I am a visual learner which means I need to SEE the ship, feel it and then understand the questions regarding layout/bars/restaurants/etc. I get all this advice and I'm like WHAT?! LOL! Its a nice problem to have since I love exploring as well.

We do late seating dining, but we don't like to stand in the lines that form when it's close to dinner time. On the Legend and the Miracle there was a really nice bar just outside the MDR. We would grab a seat (if you could find one!) and have a cocktail while

What used to be the Cigar bar on deck 4 is your best bet. Big comfy chairs. If you are on the upper level you can walk out and right into the DR.

El Morocco is the Comedy Club. It is also used for Karaoke. The Cool lounge is usually where the house band plays.

several locations on the Lido

I believe they have both ... me I prefer the Tandoor.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Yes - Don, thanks, that was very helpful! I'm hoping the house band is Music Unlimited. They have been the house band on every ship I've sailed on from NY but our cruise to Canada (probably because they were on the Legend headed for the Caribbean)

Glad to hear about the Robust - sounds like our kind of spot.

And Maggie, somehow I thought the Mongolian Wok wasn't going to have my spring rolls :( - but I'll try it anyway, and the Burrito bar and maybe even the Tandoori! I've heard the Naan is very good.

I swear I hate being a beginner! I read posts such as these and I'm like HUH!? LOL! I am a visual learner which means I need to SEE the ship, feel it and then understand the questions regarding layout/bars/restaurants/etc. I get all this advice and I'm like WHAT?! LOL! Its a nice problem to have since I love exploring as well.

LOL - I'm very visual -which is why I like looking at the deck plans. I look at pictures of the ship and I can place the pictures on the deck plans in my mind. I find that it leaves me less disoriented on the first day or so. I will definitely explore - I want to see in person all these things that are, right now, only in my head!

If you missed the ships arrival into NY port yesterday You can find it on youtube.com arrival Carnival Splendor NY 2013 Very nice not only the ship but the City with the sunrise

Just watched it. Absolutely beautiful. It is amazing how SLOW the ship moves when it's in the harbor. Also amazing how they can park that boat. I can't even parallel park! :eek: Kath, I do the same thing when I lst get on a ship, EXPLORE. Course, we were on the Miracle 4x, so I knew where everything was by the 2nd cruise. But I found a book in the cabin during our lst cruise on her. I am not sure if the book is on all the ships or in all the cabins, but it details how the ship was made/designed. So I explored the ship the lst day (on the lst cruise) and then I read the book while sitting on the balcony and on the 2nd day I explored again and I was amazed at how much I had missed seeing just by reading the book. I will let you know if they have one on the Splendor since I will be going before you! (:D:D)

If you missed the ships arrival into NY port yesterday You can find it on youtube.com arrival Carnival Splendor NY 2013 Very nice not only the ship but the City with the sunrise

I just watched the video. It was beautiful. My son and I are going on her on June 26 and cant't wait.:):)

But I found a book in the cabin during our lst cruise on her. I am not sure if the book is on all the ships or in all the cabins, but it details how the ship was made/designed. So I explored the ship the lst day (on the lst cruise) and then I read the book while sitting on the balcony and on the 2nd day I explored again and I was amazed at how much I had missed seeing just by reading the book. I will let you know if they have one on the Splendor since I will be going before you! (:D:D)

I've never done it, but I've heard if you ask the steward they will give you a copy - FREE!

She's been telling us about this. She's not having too much luck with the Cabin Crawl thing, but we've had some new people join recently, so we'll see what happens. Sounds like fun.

Yeah, some roll calls are different than others. We had a good time, but I suppose it's not for everybody! I'm having the same difficulty trying to organize a cocktail party on 6/2 :cool:...not much interest.

Thanks. I'm waiting for a review and the Fun Times of a Puerto Rico, Grand Turk (maybe), St. Thomas itinerary.

Maggie

the splendor is only doing those routes about once per month. April 4, May 9, June 2, June 18,etc

I am on the June 2 sailing!!

I'm on the June 18th sailing. I hope you come back and post a review (quickly ;)).

Maggie

We are on the Splendor April 8th sooo looking forward to it. If i have time I will post a review and pictures.

Thanks. I'm waiting for a review and the Fun Times of a Puerto Rico, Grand Turk (maybe), St. Thomas itinerary.

Maggie

I've already done the itinerary we are sailing on the Miracle - Grand Turk, Half Moon cay and Nassau and I did San Juan, St Thomas and Tortola on the Legend. I can answer port questions, but I have tons of ship questions. I could wait until our sailing to have them answered, but I want to cruise vicariously until then! :D

Kath, I have to ask you something...I looked at your cruise history and you did the CTN on Triumph in 2002. I am not sure if there was more than one offered...but we went on that cruise 6/20-6/22/02. Do you know what dates you were on? Wouldn't that be a kick if we were on the same cruise almost 11 years ago! :eek:

Kath, I have to ask you something...I looked at your cruise history and you did the CTN on Triumph in 2002. I am not sure if there was more than one offered...but we went on that cruise 6/20-6/22/02. Do you know what dates you were on? Wouldn't that be a kick if we were on the same cruise almost 11 years ago! :eek:

I'll have to look. I usually save my S&S cards. It would definitely have been June. That was our first "Birthday cruise" My sister bought it as a combo Christmas/Birthday present. It was a beautiful cruise. The weather was perfect and the sea was like glass.

Take care of her for us. We'll be boarding the day you get off.

I see you are from Syracuse...i dont live too far from you. We'll be on splendor on may 25...cant wait for the reviews from these first few voyages from NYC! :)

Archived