Onboard open booking rules changed?

Mary Ann 2

I just finished a wonderful Panama canal cruise on Princess last Sunday. Of course, I purchased an open booking for our next cruise. Today I found a cruise on sale that we called our TA about booking. But I was shocked and upset to hear that for this sale, our onboard booking credit would not be refundable if we used it to book a room for this sailing.

Did I miss a change in terms?? I have done this for years and the terms were always that we could use the open booking and change our minds and still keep our credit to use on another booking. I get that the terms of the sale say non-refundable, don't like it at all,think it's fine for other rooms we were booking for relatives, but what I am upset about is changing the terms of the open booking. Has this been happening before? This is the first time I have ever experienced this!

Even the rep at Princess was surprised when he read the terms. He said that he had never seen that for a Caribbean cruise, but had seen it for an Alaskan cruise. He even said that he understood why I would be upset, but of course, nothing he could do. When requested, he gave the e-mail for Customer Relations and said to let them know I was upset about this.

New? or been going on?

In the past year Princess has had several sales and one of the conditions in those sales was that if the cruise was cancelled, the deposit would not be refunded. This is true if it was a normal deposit or one made with a Future Cruise Certificate.

So it looks as if the sale you are looking at has this restriction. If you do not want to book with this restriction, wait until a future sale that does not have this restriction or for a non-sale price you are willing to accept.

Often the same pricing in a sale with this restriction can be found later without this restriction.

The benefit of booking with a FCC is that the deposit is only $100.00. I have a very conservative TA who always warns me that the fare I call her about is a non-refundable depost/cruise. Most often, I stay away from them.

One day, I will learn that she does a much better job than I do.

Renee

Princess has been running these specials for the past 2 years or so. It doesn't matter if you use a FCC or not.

You can have the agent look for "non-special prices" and have a refundable deposit or wait until the special is over. Some of these specials are not that great - you often get the same price but they include some OBC. Plus, one can always do better with an agent who discounts.

The benefit of booking with a FCC is that the deposit is only $100.00. I have a very conservative TA who always warns me that the fare I call her about is a non-refundable depost/cruise. Most often, I stay away from them.

You have a very good TA. This is often missed by many booking online.

I would stay away from them also (non-refundable deposits).

That's how we booked our upcoming Hawaii cruise. We bought FCC's while on the Emerald TA in September and booked the Hawaii cruise while onboard. We got a very good sale price with a non-refundable deposit. We wouldn't have booked with a non-refundable deposit without a FCC because we wouldn't have risked the 20% deposit. We wouldn't want to lose $100 either, but it's an acceptable risk.

I booked an Alaska cruise with a Future Cruise Deposit with the normal refundable deposit. Princess then offered a sale with my cabin at a lower price with a non-refundable deposit. When my travel agent contacted Princess, they said I could get the lower price if I wanted but it would make the deposit nonrefundable.

I don't have any complaints about the nonrefundable Future Cruise Deposit. It was my choice. I could have kept the refundable deposit if I had wanted. However, the price break was worth it to me to make the deposit nonrefundable, and it was only $100 per person at risk - not the normal deposit.

Okay, so they have done it before... Next time that I am onboard, I am still going to ask if the terms have changed.

We would have probably risked the $100 but we were booking 3 rooms for a family cruise, so not worth it for them.

We ended up booking regular price and I will watch for a sale in the future without these restrictions. But we wanted a balcony with 2 insides across from it, so I thought we needed to jump on rooms now as Thanksgiving out of Houston will fill up.

You have a very good TA. This is often missed by many booking online.

I would stay away from them also (non-refundable deposits).

Yes, I have a fantastic TA that I came upon under the most exasperating conditions. She has always looked after me. I did "over-ride" her wisdom when I booked a HAL $249 Vancouver to San Diego (4 days). It was for a HH (fully obstructed view) cabin guarantee, completely non-refundable, and no insurance purchase possible. But since I was cruising in less than a month, I thought it was too good to pass up. She probably confirmed with me several times before I asked her to charge my account. She wanted to be absolutely sure we were on the same page.

It worked out wonderfully, but most often, I heed her advice. I talk to her by phone and email but have yet to meet this wonderful person. I have brought her a lot of business the last year and will continue to have her book my cruises. I really did find a gem.

Everyone should be so fortunate to have a good TA.

Renee

This is very good info that is new, at least, to me. I do have one side question. I've been of the opinion that there are many out there who will book and ultimately cancel many cruises. I think the thought process is I'll book this or that cruise just in case I can make it but will utimately cancel those that don't pan out. Just curious. Is this a common practice?

This is very good info that is new, at least, to me. I do have one side question. I've been of the opinion that there are many out there who will book and ultimately cancel many cruises. I think the thought process is I'll book this or that cruise just in case I can make it but will utimately cancel those that don't pan out. Just curious. Is this a common practice?

Most of the cruises I book I intend to go. Having said that, I just booked the Regal Princess maiden voyage, but haven't decided if I want to spend so much money on her or wait till her prices drop to more normal levels...

I just finished a wonderful Panama canal cruise on Princess last Sunday. Of course, I purchased an open booking for our next cruise. Today I found a cruise on sale that we called our TA about booking. But I was shocked and upset to hear that for this sale, our onboard booking credit would not be refundable if we used it to book a room for this sailing.

Did I miss a change in terms?? I have done this for years and the terms were always that we could use the open booking and change our minds and still keep our credit to use on another booking. I get that the terms of the sale say non-refundable, don't like it at all,think it's fine for other rooms we were booking for relatives, but what I am upset about is changing the terms of the open booking. Has this been happening before? This is the first time I have ever experienced this!

Even the rep at Princess was surprised when he read the terms. He said that he had never seen that for a Caribbean cruise, but had seen it for an Alaskan cruise. He even said that he understood why I would be upset, but of course, nothing he could do. When requested, he gave the e-mail for Customer Relations and said to let them know I was upset about this.

New? or been going on?

This has nothing to do with the future cruise deposit, it has to do with the sale/promotion that you are trying to book.

Most of the cruises I book I intend to go. Having said that, I just booked the Regal Princess maiden voyage, but haven't decided if I want to spend so much money on her or wait till her prices drop to more normal levels...

Thanks to you and SD Sue. We go on average twice per year. Knock on wood, haven't had to cancel any so far. I think I kind of side-tracked this thread. Sorry about that.

Okay, so they have done it before... Next time that I am onboard, I am still going to ask if the terms have changed.

The onboard rules did not change.

You get the same pricing and restrictions booking from your home as you can get onboard the same day.

So pricing with any restrictions is the same on land and at sea.

You can still purchase FCCs on board and wait to book until you see a deal you like when back home.

Archived