If Princess had more Drink Packages?

dmwnc1959

Which would you be interested in?  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you be interested in?

• Unlimited Sodas, fountain or can ($7 per night)
    • Add unlimited non-premium coffees, teas, canned juices, all non-premium bottle water ($14 per night)
    • Add premium waters, non-alcohol smoothies, specialty coffees (w/alcohol), ($18 per night)
    • Add beers, and any wine, spirit, or cocktail up to $8 per glass ($44 per night)
    • Add beers, and any wine, spirit, or cocktail up to $12 per glass ($54 per night)
    • None of the above, I don't buy drink packages
    • Don't like the idea of drink packages, encourages excess drinking
    • Other (comment below)

I think the unlimited soda and more package they have at the moment with soda fountain, juices, hot choc and mocktails is fantastic, I do think if they were to change this to punches it wouldn't be as popular due to value for money not because some people abuse it. I think I've read that P&O have a soda package that is just 20 punches for the same price as Princesses unlimited soda package. Neither I or my wife drink so we always both purchase an unlimited soda and more package.

Wow, Princess can't be far behind having drink packages. I think Princess is now the only mainstream line without one if HAL is rolling them out.

As long as Princess doesn't lump the coffee card in with the soda package. I like that you can just purchase it seperately. Celebrity the prices for coffees are very expensive and you have to buy the soda package at $14 per day. Wayyy too expensive if you don't want to drink soft drinks.

Edited by icat2000

While I used to purchase the fountain soda card, I found that a) I don't drink that much soda in a day any longer, and b) I prefer cans as there are options for decaffeinated drinks not available in fountain drinks, plus canned Diet Coke just tastes better to me than fountain Diet Coke. I also believe the "unlimited" card lends itself to abuse.

I think I'll stick with buying the beverage I feel like at the time I feel like having it - no card covers it all.

Edited by Times Prince
added detail

HAL has a drink card that's essentially a pre-paid debit card. You pay $45 for $50's worth of any beverage, whether it's a soda, mocktail, beer, wine or martini. The server debits the card for the cost of the drink. It's sharable and, I think, it's fair.

For me, none of the current plans are a good value to me and except for this plan, the ones offered by other cruiselines wouldn't work either, as I'm not much of an alcoholic beverage drinker (when not on a cruise, I never have a drink -- and if hubby has a glass of wine at a restaurant, I'm the designated driver), and even hubby might have a glass of wine or two every few days of a cruise. Or less.

I'm a big soda drinker, but not Coke products (I can tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi) and not ones from a can (I usually can taste a metallic taste). My daughter might get an occasional soda, but she can always go back to the cabin and pour herself a Sierra Mist or Mountain Dew from what we bring on (she doesn't have a preference Coke v Pepsi). But not enough to warrant buying a soda sticker for her based on the whole cruise.

So I think for us, getting a card with punches, or even better having an account that the three of us can buy discounted drinks against really sounds like a great idea. It's shareable, the ship will undoubtedly make money especially if people are getting sodas, which they have a huge make up on, and for those of us who want to try a drink or two (booze or not), it may be a great deal.

We recently took a Celebrity cruise (our first) and I looked long and hard at the alcohol packages. Decided it was way too much for the amount we drink on a cruise. Spent a lot of time at the wonderful Molecular Bar and still came out for lots less than the package would have cost us.

So, no, I would not go for an equivalent package on Princess if offered.

I would NOT buy an alcohol package if both cruisers in the cabin were required to buy one. My husband doesn't drink alcohol at all. Making us buy a second card for him would essentially double the cost for me, and I wouldn't do that. He doesn't drink any of the other items on the cards, but does buy a coffee card for the brewed coffee.

I voted for other option. For those of us who do not drink everyday I think the option of an alchoholic (glass of wine, rum & coke, beer, etc.)drink punch card like the coffee card be implimented. Lets say 12 punches for $85 - $95 amd that includes gratuity.

I voted for other option. For those of us who do not drink everyday I think the option of an alchoholic (glass of wine, rum & coke, beer, etc.)drink punch card like the coffee card be implimented. Lets say 12 punches for $85 - $95 amd that includes gratuity.

I think this idea is not too bad actually. My Wife rarely drinks so buying two cards would be an absolute wage of money.

HAL has a drink card that's essentially a pre-paid debit card. You pay $45 for $50's worth of any beverage, whether it's a soda, mocktail, beer, wine or martini. The server debits the card for the cost of the drink. It's sharable and, I think, it's fair.

I'd be in favour of something like this.

I don't care for any of the poll options because they build on a soda package, and I do not drink soda. Or juice or beer. So that's four tiers up before you get to a liquid I'll consume. That's why the "debit card" approach as Pam outlines is a good idea, as it then doesn't have people paying for what they don't want to drink, without costing the cruise line an arm and a leg to institute a bazillion different kinds of drink packages (soda; soda + juice; soda + juice + coffee; soda + juice + coffee + wine: soda + coffee; soda + coffee + wine -- the permutations are endless).

I have no idea how difficult the revenue accounting/inventory management would be for such system. If HAL used to have it and now doesn't, maybe it isn't actually workable. I think the last thing any of us want is for Princess to miscalculate on ordering and run out of Cabernet or Bombay Sapphire halfway across the Atlantic [shudder].

I think the last thing any of us want is for Princess to miscalculate on ordering and run out of Cabernet or Bombay Sapphire halfway across the Atlantic [shudder].

Yikes!:eek:

I can't imagine such a horrible scenario.;)

Mike:)

I would NOT buy an alcohol package if both cruisers in the cabin were required to buy one. My husband doesn't drink alcohol at all. Making us buy a second card for him would essentially double the cost for me, and I wouldn't do that. He doesn't drink any of the other items on the cards, but does buy a coffee card for the brewed coffee.
I believe the Carnival package requires everyone 21 and over in the cabin to purchase it. Not sure about Celebrity. If it's unlimited, they would have to implement something like that. Otherwise, have a debit or punch card system.

My issue with the Celebrity package is that you have to drink a lot, every single day, whether you're at sea or in port, in order for it to pay. If your cruise is port intensive, I think you'd have to average something like five drinks a day. That's a lot (IMHO). It was far cheaper for me to purchase a soda when I wanted one and a drink at night.

Depends on sea days or port days whether it is worth it or not.I might have 8 or10 beers and 2 tropical mixed drinks on a sea day,(worth it)while on a port day maybe 2 beer,1 mixed drink,(not worth it) only on vacation.If I visit an all inclusive island,I probably have up to 20 beer from 10 am till 10 pm(then it's worth it)if i'm with a bunch of men fooling around and acting up like a 20 year old.At home,I have beer in the garage that is still there from Christmas not open.So it depends on a lot of factors.If they had this then Princess may get like Carnival or an island all inclusive.Might not be a good idea!!!:D

I'd prefer the current soda package without cans for $4.50 per day. I don't drink sodas-I drink seltzer water- so adding cans does nothing for me. As for any package with alcohol (including the current wine packages), we just wouldn't be interested.

I do wish they'd bring back happy hour or power hour drinks. And I wish they'd get the correct amount of alcohol in the drinks. The only drinks I had on the Emerald Princess that had any noticeable alcohol in them were at the Most Traveled Party.

I do not like HAL's soda card. The beauty of Princess's sticker is that I don't have to finish a drink or carry it around the ship. On HAL, I feel like I have to, even if it's warm or gone flat.

I like the idea of a drinks package that includes alcoholic drinks and soft drinks and coffee etc. In other words it would include anything else that you might want to drink. A bit like going on an all-inclusive holiday - you know what it will cost beforehand. I have only cruised once before and that was 2 years ago wilh Celebrity and purchased the Ultimate Drinks package, this was expensive, but it was definitely worth it. I like a couple of capuccino's each day, maybe 3 canned soda'a, possible a glass of wine with lunch, an aperatif or 2 before dinner and wine with dinner. Occasionally, we went to the sunset bar late afternoon, before getting washed and dressed for dinner and enjoyed a glass of Chamapgane, which was a lovely and indulgent part of the holiday. It was because we knew we could without having to think about the cost. Some of you might think this is a lot, but its surprising just how much this adds up.

This year, in fact 6th April we will be on the Emeral Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruise, so it will be interesting to see how the cost of drinks compares. I have a funny feeling though, that we will not drink as much because we will be much more aware of the cost.

Why have"packages" at all, there is a simple solution....charge reasonable prices for drinks....Prices that you pay back home(wherever that may be)..ergo...more people will buy drinks from the bar....more profit for cruise line.....Why try to rip people off?

That definitely wouldn't work. When I'm on a cruise, I drink wine every day. My husband may have two or three beers over the course of a seven day cruise.

The only way a "drink package" will work fairly is to do it like the coffee card -- It's not unlimited, but you get "X" number of punches and then you're out. That would also help with Princess' liability in serving an unlimited amount of alcohol for idiots that feel like they have to overindulge in order to get their money's worth! That way, sharing wouldn't even matter.

This is my preference. Would love to see a cocktail punch card. I feel on a port intensive cruise, a traditional package doesn't seem worth it. On our last cruise, I only purchased 2 alcoholic beverages. I had the soda and more sticker, and got my money's worth out of it. But if I felt I was getting a bit of deal on cocktails, I would be more inclined to enjoy a few more.

We wouldn't be interested. We really only drink wine and occasionally beer with pizza or Mexican food. We get a mini-bar set up for being Elite and that usually lasts us for anything we want other than wine. We do trade in all of our soda for Perrier and switch out all of the liquor for vodka and scotch. The last two cruises we took the scotch home.

Why have"packages" at all, there is a simple solution....charge reasonable prices for drinks....Prices that you pay back home(wherever that may be)..ergo...more people will buy drinks from the bar....more profit for cruise line.....Why try to rip people off?
IMHO, Princess prices ARE reasonable. Heck, I pay $5 for a Diet Coke at nearby restaurants yet I can buy a mixed drink on Princess for $5.50.

Just noted in the above Poll - $44 and $54 have been quoted as "per night" when I think this should be per day. This cost takes on a whole new meaning if its per day!!

The text in the poll choices was taken directly from the Celebrity Cruises website. The length of the package description was edited due to the restrictions in the total number of text characters permitted, but here it is in full:

Soda Package

Enjoy unlimited sodas during the duration of your cruise. Simply present your SeaPass® Card at any bar, lounge, or restaurant to receive your canned or fountain soda of choice.

*Starting from: 7.00 USD Per Night

Classic Non-Alcoholic Package

In addition to enjoying your favorite Coca Cola can and fountain sodas selections such as Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and Coke Zero, you may also enjoy fresh squeezed and bottled juices, Premium Coffees and Teas and Non-Premium Bottled Water.

*Starting from: 14.00 USD Per Night

Premium Non-Alcoholic Package

Enjoy nearly our entire selection of sodas selections on board including all canned and fountain soft drinks from Coca Cola, Premium Bottled Water from Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino, Specialty Coffees and Teas, Non-Alcoholic Frozen Drinks and Smoothies, Red Bull Energy Drink and Specialty Waters from Vitamin Water.

*Starting from: 18.00 USD Per Night

Classic Package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all Beers up to $5 per serving, and spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 20% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

*Starting from: 44.00 USD Per Night

Premium Package

For the ultimate in value and convenience, our premium package provides all the benefits of our Premium Non-Alcoholic Package. In addition, you can enjoy our entire selection of Beers as well as Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $12 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Premium Package, you can enjoy a 30% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

*Starting from: 54.00 USD Per Night

*All prices are subject to change without notice. A 15% service charge will be added to Soda, Wine, Water, Classic and Premium Package prices at checkout. Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar, or room service, or the Enomatic® wine dispensing system. Ordered packages may be modified up to four days prior to sailing by canceling and reordering the package. Cancellations or refunds will not be issued onboard the vessel after embarkation day. Availability of beverage packages varies by ship. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions apply.

Edited by dmwnc1959

I don't think I would purchase a drink package on Princess at the Celebrity price. From what I have been reading on the Celebrity board all beverages from water to mixed drinks are more expensive than what Princess charges. I do plan on purchasing the classic alcohol package for my Celebrity cruise this month only because I know that on a Caribbean cruise I do tend to drink more of everything than I would at home. The bottled water is $5. I plan on bringing a lot of water with us when we are in port. On Princess I'm good with just purchasing the ultimate drink package. I wish it would include bottled water.

Although I really don't have a dog in this fight ( I don't drink and my wife might have a glass of wine occasionally at dinner), I would vote for an alcohol punch card. Say charge $100 for 15 punches, where a glass of wine, a beer, or a mixed drink would be 1 punch and a bottle of wine could range from 3 to 6 punches or more depending on the wine. That would stop people from trying to get their moneys worth from a $45 dollar a day charge for an alcohol package. As with the coffee card unused punches could be carried over to the next cruise (within a reasonable time, as liquor prices would likely go up over a long span of time)

Beachbum

That would stop people from trying to get their moneys worth from a $45 dollar a day charge for an alcohol package.

Beachbum

Are the demographics on Princess so different than Celebrity because I haven't read of any problem with drunkedness there with people who have the alcohol package. They seem to use it for alcohol, yes, but also specialty coffees, waters, sodas, juices, etc.\

Are the demographics on Princess so different than Celebrity because I haven't read of any problem with drunkedness there with people who have the alcohol package. They seem to use it for alcohol, yes, but also specialty coffees, waters, sodas, juices, etc.\

I'm not sure about demographics, but there are Princess cruisers who seem to have a concern that people might over indulge. Personally, on over 20 cruises with Princess I have never seen anyone overly intoxicated. I also think that a 15 drink a day limit is a bit high as some of the alcohol packages from other cruise lines state. I know if I consumed 15 drinks in a day, I wouldn't be on my feet, but that's just me, others may have no problem with it. Once again I have no dog in this discussion, just offering my opinion ( and you know what they say about those).

Beachbum