I need your help! Italy, France or Russia?

CrazyJess

I’ve never cruised before. More over – I don’t have any friends or relatives who did it. So, I really need your help!

I will go with my husband and a daughter (age 3). We plan our first cruise for this summer. For sure it will be Europe. For all three of us it will be the first chance to visit Europe and I’ve been dreaming about it for many years. The problem is – we even can’t choose the direction!!! I’ve always want to see France, my husband says that Italy is more important and we both are interested in Russia (some of our great grandparents both sides were from Russia). Question: is there any chance to combine at least two of these countries in one trip? If not –please, any suggestions - what is more important/interesting to see for the first visit? Thank you in advance.

If you want to see Russia, you will have to take a Baltic cruise, you're not going to be able to combine it with France and/or Italy. For France and/or Italy you need to take a Mediterranean cruise, but you're not likely to call at more than a couple of French ports at most. Cruises to the west Med tend to focus on Italy and there are good reasons for it. Apart from the fact that the coastline is much longer, so there are more ports available, it is as your husband says more important (historically). It is also a much more varied experience, because you can have the countryside of Cinque Terre (with its wine-tasting), the stunning coastal scenery of the Amalfi Coast, the ruins of Pompeii, the uniqueness of Venice etc etc all in one cruise. I'm afraid I'm with your husband on this one!

Hi, & welcome to Cruise Critic,

France plus Italy easy. Most cruises that include both also visit (or start in) Spain & may visit other Mediterranean ports. This would be the simplest for a number of reasons.

Russia can be visited via the Black Sea, usually starting in or including Istanbul & including eastern European countries like Bulgaria, Georgia, Ukraine, & the Russian port of Sochi. Limited choice of cruises, & some of the countries are an acquired taste and might be a bit more difficult with a three-year-old.

But most folk visit Russia by taking a Baltics cruise. Most start in the UK or Copenhagen or sometimes Amsterdam or Oslo, and visit places such as Stockholm (Sweden), Helsinki (Finland), Talinn (Estonia) and two days in St Petersburg (Russia). There are complications such as different currencies & a visa or organised tour is needed for St Petersburg, but its a really interesting cruise.

The Mediterranean is best in spring & fall, when temperatures are ideal. The Baltic is much further north & best in summer.

The three-year-old will get nothing out of the ports in Europe, most are chosen for the sight-seeing and the child may restrict what you can do. I've never cruised with a child but hopefully others can advise better. Especially about the ships that cater best for young children, which will be important to you. Because it's your first cruise, best to cruise with an American cruise line. So much simpler if you cruise on a floating piece of the US ;)

JB :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

For Russia, another option is a River Cruise. These are on smaller ships. Most go one way between Moscow and St. Petersberg. They generally have about 4 days on either end with about 6 days sailing and sightseeing in between.

Seeing France will be restricted to coastal areas unless you do a river cruise in France. You're not going to see Paris, at least not a lot of Paris unless you fly in a few days early or stay afterwards. Some cruises stop in LeHarve, from where you can get into Paris, but you won't have much time in that city. What you'll see is the South Of France, which is a good place to start, but it's not a whole lot.

An cruise in that takes in Italy will give you a really good look at that country as you can find cruises that go all around the country. That way you can see Florence, Rome, Naples, Sorrento and Venice. Of course, you'll be very limited in the amount of time in each city, but at least you'll get a quick look. Also know, for Rome and Florence, you'll not be anywhere near those cities from where the ship docks, so you'll have at least a 60 to 90 minute bus ride to get to the city centers from the ship.

Russia cannot be done combined with Italy and France. Russian cruises are part of Baltic cruises, so unless you do a back to back cruise, and switch ships, and have at least three weeks, it can't be done on one ship.

Now, as for the three year old, just realize you'll have to modify your expectations as it's not nearly as easy to do these kinds of cruises with a young child as it is if it was just the two of you. Also know that if you do this cruise in July/August, it will be terribly hot, humid and crowded, which are not things that bode well for a toddler. Twelve hour tours, which is how long most tours are for Florence and Rome, probably won't work with a 3 year old, especially on a ship's bus tour. And these tours are not set up for young kids, so there won't be any potty stops or anything else that's child friendly.

I would highly suggest taking this cruise in May or October when it's cooler and less crowded. I also suggest checking into private tours so that when the child gets tired and cranky you can go back to the ship. You can't do that on ship tours.

OP - I'd agree with the other posts. You can find cruises that will cover both Italy and France. However, be aware that these are very port intensive cruises at a very hot and crowded time of year, if you wish to go this summer. Many cities (Rome, Florence, etc.) can be quite far from the cruise port.

I don't know about your child, but any of mine, at age three would have been impossible to deal with on such a cruise. If you want to tour museums and historic sites, think about how your child will handle sitting/walking for hours, and if you are going to be happy if you have to cut short a tour, etc. to deal with the needs of your child.

If you take such a cruise, you definately should book private tours. No three year old wants to sit on a bus for hours and hours. I personally would not take such a cruise with a three year old. I'd pick an area I wanted to visit, perhaps Rome, and rent an apartment for a week. So much easier with a young child.

Cruising from Europe is going to involve airfare. And that can be ruinous, especially when you are looking relatively last minute. Take a look at that before you book your cruise. You may find it costs more than the cruise! EM

Thank you so much! Thank you all for such detailed information. I probably will have to take the side of my husband – at least this time - and make choice in favor of Italy. By the way is September (middle/second part) good for Italy? Not too hot in Venice?

Thank you so much! Thank you all for such detailed information. I probably will have to take the side of my husband – at least this time - and make choice in favor of Italy. By the way is September (middle/second part) good for Italy? Not too hot in Venice?

Usually an ideal time of year for Italy. Some ships overnite in Venice - a great place to wander in the evening.

For your first cruise I would recommend the Mediterranean.

There are plenty that have a lot of Italy and some other ports.

Look at a 12 day cruise.

I would go in September as the weather would be nicer and far less crowded then the hot summer months.

Keith

Thank you! It looks like we’ve made a decision and go to Italy in September. I’ve always wanted to see Venice. I have one more question… Sorry to ask so many foolish questions... My husband is about to call a TA (the only one we know). Probably it will be the easiest way for us to book a cruise but isn’t it better to book a cruise directly from a cruise line? Where do you guys buy your cruises? Thank you in advance and sorry for so many questions.

I personally book my cruises through our insurance company (we get military discounts). Start doing research... Check numerous sites. I can give you a list if you'd like but I'm unsure if I am allowed to post them.

We cruise with Princess and they allow a travel agent to discount the fares (not all lines allow this). So I find a good discount TA and book with them.

Also, if possible, you want a cruise that at least sails into or out of Venice during the day. It is a beautiful sight. If you get a balcony, you want it on the Port (left) side going out or Starboard (right) going into Venice.

O! Thank you all! Actually I’ve never thought the side is so important. Good idea, thank you. What could you suggest for Venice (let’s say we have two days their) - to join the excursions or just to walk around? I’ve read about hop on hop off buses in Baltic ports. They are very much recommended on this forum. Are there such buses in Venice? Thank you in advance.

O! Thank you all! Actually I’ve never thought the side is so important. Good idea, thank you. What could you suggest for Venice (let’s say we have two days their) - to join the excursions or just to walk around? I’ve read about hop on hop off buses in Baltic ports. They are very much recommended on this forum. Are there such buses in Venice? Thank you in advance.

Ho-ho buses were tried in Venice but didn't work out.

Too many of them sank :D

Sorry, Jess, couldn't resist ;)

The tourist part of Venice has no road vehicles - too many canals & humpy little bridges. Even the garbage "trucks" are boats.

Easy enough & compact enough to walk around, though surfaces can be uneven.

There are ferries (vaporettos) on the Grand Canal & around the island, and across to other islands such as Murano. Like buses they're frequent & cheap.

Or water taxis or gondolas. Errrr, not so cheap.

Cruise ships normally lay on (at a charge) shuttleboats between ship & the St Marks Square area, though you can alternatively do this journey by people-mover tram, then vaporetto.

O, John, I’m not an experienced traveler J I’ve never been to Europe before… But I’m so much eager to see the world! I can’t wait for my first cruise. Thank you for the info. I think we will try to experience those “vaporetto”. Do they have a guide? An audio guide at least?

I think we will try to experience those “vaporetto”. Do they have a guide? An audio guide at least?

Not on those I've been on. They're like a local bus service, purely for transport, & used by locals & tourists alike.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLS_en-GBGB509GB509&q=Vaporetto+Venice&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=W_hjUeiiKIqU0QX64IGwCg&biw=1504&bih=669&sei=ZPhjUYemG6jM0AW3y4HQDQ

And they're way too big for all the canals except the Grand Canal. Most of those pictures are of the Grand Canal, plus some of the channel used by cruise ships, the Lagoon of Venice. Most canals are only about a dozen feet wide.

So most of our exploration has been on foot, with a little advance research done on the major points of interest such as the Rialto Bridge & the Bridge of Sighs.

I'm sure there are plenty of guided walking tours & you'd get much more out of Venice with a guide, but I can't help - perhaps others can offer suggestions.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your first cruise :)

Try to get ahold of some Rick Steves videos for these places to get a feel for what they offer and what it takes to get around (library or his website). He also has videos with general travel/attitude advice. Very helpful stuff!

I’ve never cruised before. More over – I don’t have any friends or relatives who did it. So, I really need your help!

I will go with my husband and a daughter (age 3). We plan our first cruise for this summer. For sure it will be Europe. For all three of us it will be the first chance to visit Europe and I’ve been dreaming about it for many years. The problem is – we even can’t choose the direction!!! I’ve always want to see France, my husband says that Italy is more important and we both are interested in Russia (some of our great grandparents both sides were from Russia). Question: is there any chance to combine at least two of these countries in one trip? If not –please, any suggestions - what is more important/interesting to see for the first visit? Thank you in advance.

Hi, I may have some personal experience that is unique..my husband and I took our girls to Europe starting at age 4. The trips weren't t as intense as our travel as a couple, but there were unique moments that made it worth the effort (we were not cruising, which would be much easier.

First, dogs and children give you an entree into local life..no one will suspect you of shop lifting or being a tourist, typically.

Secondly the Italians love children..several times our girls were removed from our dining table and taken to the kitchen to help the chef. The French are a liitledifferent in that they expect their child to sit quietly at the cafe, and if the kid raises a ruckus or tries to get attention, a parent pulls the child onto their lap and holds them close. If things get out of hand the child is taken out of earshot.

In northern Europe children are rarely taken out to eat, so for Germany and north, wait til the child is older.

Here is another choice: hire a baby sitter and leave kiddo on the ship on days where your touring could be intense..Florence comes to mind...but Pompei is ok, you can even take a carriage ride to the entrance.

You will need to be sure that kiddo gets plenty of rest, but remember that Europeans are taking their kids places, so why not you?

To keep our girls amused, I recorded fairy tales and took the books with me so that they could look at the pictures and hear the stories.

Archived