Hapag-LLoyd Europa 2.

English Voyager

My thoughts on the soft goods on Europa 2 from July 2015.

No complaints at al...

Mattress had a firm (not hard) base with a plush soft top.

Like sleeping in a well supported pillowy wonderland.

I slept well despite sharing with my 6' 12 year old snoring son.

I enjoy the joined twins with the European duvets - each get their own space.

The lounging couch was quite comfortable- so much so that my 6'1, 220# spouse chose to sleep there most nights versus sharing the bed with a 10 year old who likes to lie sideways across both sides of the bed.

My thoughts on the soft goods on Europa 2 from July 2015.

No complaints at al...

Mattress had a firm (not hard) base with a plush soft top.

Like sleeping in a well supported pillowy wonderland.

I slept well despite sharing with my 6' 12 year old snoring son.

I enjoy the joined twins with the European duvets - each get their own space.

The lounging couch was quite comfortable- so much so that my 6'1, 220# spouse chose to sleep there most nights versus sharing the bed with a 10 year old who likes to lie sideways across both sides of the bed.

This is good to hear (especially the part about the "pillowy wonderland" :). I will therefore skip bothering to ship ahead some kind of soft bed topper or thermarest for our trip out of Capetown. I just got the excursion information, final payment is in, and I look forward to experiencing the Europa2 for the first time at Christmas!

It will be interesting to compare my recent very positive first Seabourn experience (other than the mattresses) with the Europa 2.

I also look forward to hearing more comments by English Voyager after he returns from his September cruise.

. . . .

Weltmeere is usually closed for lunch unless there is a port function or similar- and then Tarragon is closed.

contrarely to the other 5 starred companies there is a vast selection of cold cuts an cheeses for breakfast and at least 3 freshly juices aside several others

i even once had gourmet breakfast in my cabin with gooseliver and orange confit

I just got my cruise info packet for my December Capetown cruise.

A few questions not answered in the general Europa2 brochure or on the website, for either vistman or English Voyager or anyone else who has been on:

1. Which restaurants other than Yacht Club are open for breakfast and lunch, and roughly what hours, or does it depend on if it is a sea day?

I am happy to hear about the cold cut array for breakfast. Hopefully also herring in cream sauce :)

2. Did you have a Nespresso machine in your suite, and if so was it a normal veranda or ocean suite? The website shows a Nespresso machine on the German site in what used to be called the spa suite and I guess is now the ocean suite , but is silent on the English site about whether the simple ocean and veranda suites have Nespresso (we will be in an ocean suite, i.e., not a high end suite) -- easy coffee access is important!

3. Was it difficult to get specialty restaurant and spa reservations? As one cannot book these online in advance, I imagine there may be a mad rush the first day to do choice time bookings. Were you able to get into all the restaurants you wanted to get into?

4. were you able to get into the shows you wanted? f21 who wrote a bad review said he could not for a big show.

5. I noticed just within one week of receiving our brochure 3 months ahead of the cruise some excursions were already booked up when I tried to book on-line. Though you did not do excursions, did you hear others on board complain about not getting their choices?

6. What did you like LEAST about E2?

Thanks in advance!

Here are a few answers for Catlover 54, based on a 7-day port intensive voyage.

1. Which restaurants other than Yacht Club are open for breakfast and lunch, and roughly what hours, or does it depend on if it is a sea day?

The Weltmeere ( MDR) was not open on any day for lunch, but several of the speciality restaurants were (and did not require booking) I don't recall the opening hours. Breakfast is served in the Weltmeere as well as the Yacht Club.

I am happy to hear about the cold cut array for breakfast. Hopefully also herring in cream sauce :)

2. Did you have a Nespresso machine in your suite, and if so was it a normal veranda or ocean suite? The website shows a Nespresso machine on the German site in what used to be called the spa suite and I guess is now the ocean suite , but is silent on the English site about whether the simple ocean and veranda suites have Nespresso (we will be in an ocean suite, i.e., not a high end suite) -- easy coffee access is important!

Yes - there is a Nespresso machine in all suites.

3. Was it difficult to get specialty restaurant and spa reservations? As one cannot book these online in advance, I imagine there may be a mad rush the first day to do choice time bookings. Were you able to get into all the restaurants you wanted to get into?

We were advised by a crew member to make restaurant bookings early 'as the Germans are very well organised'. I think we booked on day 3 and got the restaurants we wanted as long as we were flexible on days. So probably best to book on the first day if you can. The same applies to the spa.

4. were you able to get into the shows you wanted? f21 who wrote a bad review said he could not for a big show.

Only went to a couple and had no problems. But if in doubt, just get there early

5. I noticed just within one week of receiving our brochure 3 months ahead of the cruise some excursions were already booked up when I tried to book on-line. Though you did not do excursions, did you hear others on board complain about not getting their choices?

We didn't take any excursions.

6. What did you like LEAST about E2?

Paying for water in the restaurants takes a bit of getting used to, but it is a German tradition and we weren't too fussed about it

Thanks in advance!

I have just returned from my cruise, and hope to post detailed comments in due course.

In answer to the question on the times for breakfast, and lunch.

Breakfast:

Coffee, Tea, and Pastries at the Pool: 06.00-07.00

Weltmeere: 07.30-09.30.

Yacht Club: 07.00-10.30.

Sansibar: 10.30-14.00.

On a Sea Day, the Weltmeere is open 08.00-10.00.

Lunch:

Yacht Club: 12.30-14.00

Serenissima: 12.30-14.00.

Tarragon: 12.30-14.00.

Elements: 12.30-14.00.

On a Sea Day, the Lunch times remained unchanged.

The Tarragon was recently voted the best restaurant at sea, and this has impacted on the demand for an evening reservation.

This week there was a wait list of 50 suites for a dinner reservation, yet for lunch, albeit with a restricted menu, on occasions the restaurant was empty.

With regard to Theatre Shows.

The first of my back to back cruises was 7 days, and the Theatre entertainment was dreadful.

Only two acts, a female a cappella group during whose performances people were walking out, and a hard to describe performance called 'Adam und Eva'.

The second cruise was 12 days, and the breadth of theatre entertainment was really impressive.

It ranged from a six piece classical music ensemble from Vienna, a variety revue featuring a number of acts, an astounding magician, and an impressive singer called Kevin Tarte.

Here is an example of his voice:

On the questionnaire one is given to complete, I said that steps must be taken by whoever books the acts, to appear on the Europa 2, to ensure consistency of quality from one cruise to another.

I have just returned from my cruise, and hope to post detailed comments in due course.

In answer to the question on the times for breakfast, and lunch.

Breakfast:

Coffee, Tea, and Pastries at the Pool: 06.00-07.00

Weltmeere: 07.30-09.30.

Yacht Club: 07.00-10.30.

Sansibar: 10.30-14.00.

On a Sea Day, the Weltmeere is open 08.00-10.00.

Lunch:

Yacht Club: 12.30-14.00

Serenissima: 12.30-14.00.

Tarragon: 12.30-14.00.

Elements: 12.30-14.00.

On a Sea Day, the Lunch times remained unchanged.

The Tarragon was recently voted the best restaurant at sea, and this has impacted on the demand for an evening reservation.

This week there was a wait list of 50 suites for a dinner reservation, yet for lunch, albeit with a restricted menu, on occasions the restaurant was empty.

So for food between 10:30 and 12:30, a favorite time for us to eat on sea days after sleeping in, other than room service, it looks like the Sansibar is the only option ( but there is at least an option, unlike on Seabourn recently where between 10 and 12 the only option was little pastries in Seabourn Square, or on Silversea basically nothing between 10 and 12 besides room service).

As for the wait list of 50 for Tarragon, given that we know Germans "are organized", and boarding is reportedly quite late, I anticipate a mad dash to book dining there after boarding before heading off to Muster. Hapag may wish to consider allowing advance online dining booking, like you can do on Silversea and Holland America and other ships, to minimize the madness. "Organized" Germans, and planners, (including me) would do well with that, and decrease boarding day stresses on staff.

As for the wait list of 50 for Tarragon, given that we know Germans "are organized", and boarding is reportedly quite late, I anticipate a mad dash to book dining there after boarding before heading off to Muster. Hapag may wish to consider allowing advance online dining booking, like you can do on Silversea and Holland America and other ships, to minimize the madness. "Organized" Germans, and planners, (including me) would do well with that, and decrease boarding day stresses on staff.

Boarding is only permissible after 16.00.

The mandatory Safety Drill is 18.30.

If, as was the case in Istanbul, boarding was on Day 1 of an overnight Port of Call, the mandatory Safety Drill was at 18.30 on Day 2.

Reservations for the Speciality Restaurants were to be made during the normal opening hours of the restaurants.

So, in effect, there was no mad rush to make reservations.

Our Capetown cruise departs at 10pm after we embark in December, so boarding at 16:00, if we could do that, would be great and allow time to settle in and get to the restaurants to make reservations for the days we want the specialty restaurants. I was thinking and misunderstanding from previous posts that you could only come on board two hours prior to departure, but that was apparently when ships were leaving ports 4 or 5 . My TA has not been able so far to get an official "ok to board" time yet for this late departure, or even the location of the preembarkation lounge hotel and luggage transport cost options, which are separate issues. The Hapag rep in the US, Lauren, has apparently been very friendly and easy for the TA to work with, which is encouraging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our Capetown cruise departs at 10pm after we embark in December, so boarding at 16:00, if we could do that, would be great and allow time to settle in and get to the restaurants to make reservations for the days we want the specialty restaurants. I was thinking and misunderstanding from previous posts that you could only come on board two hours prior to departure, but that was apparently when ships were leaving ports 4 or 5 . My TA has not been able so far to get an official "ok to board" time yet for this late departure, or even the location of the preembarkation lounge hotel and luggage transport cost options, which are separate issues. The Hapag rep in the US, Lauren, has apparently been very friendly and easy for the TA to work with, which is encouraging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boarding is a very civilised affair.

Check In is divided into Deck Number, one has one's photograph taken, and then is offered a glass of Champagne, and an opportunity to either chat to one's fellow guests, or be accompanied by a member of staff to one's suite, for which one will have received the combination boarding card/ key card prior to the cruise with preliminary documentation.

One does not even have to provide a credit card until a couple of days before the end of the cruise.

I don't understand the surprise that between 10:30 and noon there are only room service or small snacks available. This is not a typical meal time. Cruise lines do not offer six meals a day, only three .

You misunderstand, as I was not at all surprised there is no breakfast service beyond 10:30 ( but I am not surprised that you misunderstood, as a lot is commonly lost on email communication that is clear when made in person). I was simply commenting about the gap, common to small luxury ships ( though at least on E2 there is the nice Sansibar option for the late morning diners, and having read various forum comments on CC and other travel forums I am not the only one interested in late morning or odd hours food).

I am not interested in eating six sit-down meals per day, nor are my travel trousers capable of accomodating such an indulgence ( though they have elastic, there are limits :) ).Actually when cruising or leisure traveling, DH and I prefer two meals a day: we like to sleep in, ideally have a late morning "brunch" of some sort between 10 and 12, then rest a bit before heading off for the 1pm afternoon excursions, then have a big dinner later. On the Spirit a few months ago only morning room service could accomodate this, as all was closed between 10 and 12 and eating at 12 when the dining venues would open would rush the lunch, as we tend to be compulsively early for scheduled excursions.

Edited by Catlover54
typo

I hope you will consider posting your views on Europa 2 shortly. We leave for a cruise on her next Sunday and I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!

mpfund,

I have submitted my thoughts on my recent back to back cruises by way of a review which hopefully will appear shortly.

I have titled it 'It felt like coming home', which for me encapsulates my experience.

In essence, nothing appears to be too much trouble for staff.

As an example, I happened to mention to the Hotel Manager that I had heard that the 'Tarragon' restaurant had been voted the best at sea.

He said that he would obtain for me a copy of the Press Release.

Later that day I was provided with an English translation, which had obviously been done on board the ship, of the German original.

Another example, on my second cruise I was the only guest from an English speaking country.

The Shore Excursion Office advised me that if I wished to join a German language guided tour they would provide me with a member of staff to translate for me.

All services normally available to English speaking guests were provided even down to the Captain's address from the Bridge in English.

It is such a relaxed, happy atmosphere on the ship that one cannot help but feel good.

My only real criticism was the inconsistency from the first to the second cruise in the quality, and variety of the Theatre Entertainment.

In the first seven day cruise it was poor, whereas in the following twelve day cruise it was superb.

All in all, the Europa 2 remains my favourite ship.

Have a very enjoyable cruise.

I very much look forward to reading your review, English Voyager, ( will probably take 6 days like my recent SB cruise review did) as I slowly gather up items and strategies to have a great vacation on E2 with DH Capetown-Capetown this Christmas. My planned excursions are also booked .Some in the excursion list I would have considered were surprisingly already booked up online at just under 90 days, a week after I got my materials, confirming the Germans traveling are indeed likely very well-organized ( or they just got the materials sooner than I did), but I found plenty of alternatives.

I very much look forward to reading your review, English Voyager, ( will probably take 6 days like my recent SB cruise review did) as I slowly gather up items and strategies to have a great vacation on E2 with DH Capetown-Capetown this Christmas. My planned excursions are also booked .Some in the excursion list I would have considered were surprisingly already booked up online at just under 90 days, a week after I got my materials, confirming the Germans traveling are indeed likely very well-organized ( or they just got the materials sooner than I did), but I found plenty of alternatives.

With regard to excursions, if one, or more, that are currently fully booked on-line, continue to attract interest, either Hapag-Lloyd, or the Shore Excursion Office on the Europa 2, may arrange additional capacity.

So, I would suggest continuing to check offered excursions on-line, or after embarkation checking with the Shore Excursion Office.

When we were on the Hanseatic on a bi-lingual cruise (but it turned out we were the only non-German speakers on the ship), we also had a staff member accompany us on tours. In Walvis Bay the tour was in English, translated into German by a staff member, and then translated back to English for us! We got that straightened out quickly.

We also found that the captain made announcements in English, and the plan of the day was translated (I think at night) just for us.

We are very much looking forward to our Europa 2 cruise

Thank you for your terrific review. I'll post one when we return from our mid-east voyage where we expect to be a tiny minority of non-German speakers!

Thank you.

For some reason, the opening, and closing, paragraphs as submitted by me, have been compressed into one paragraph, which I think spoils the appearance, and presentation.

Additionally, under the Heading, 'Entertainment', the word ensure has been omitted from the sentence

'Hapag-Lloyd do need to consistency from one cruise to another.'

Have a wonderful cruise, and I look forward to reading your thoughts on the Europa 2.

Edited by English Voyager

Thank you, English Voyager, for your recent review, ( I am surprised it got published so quickly) once again affirming your positive experience on the E2. With only 12 English-speaking pax on the first leg and just you on the second leg, it is good to hear that you were still treated well and had a good time. Perhaps your review will inspire more English speakers to try out this ship.

I look forward to MPfund's review as well, and am excited about our upcoming Capetown xmas cruise on E2.

Thank you from me also.

We may be looking around for a different cruise line in the New Year.

I've been interested in Europa 2 for quite some time now. Your very helpful posts and reviews are encouraging and have put my concerns to rest.

Thanks again.

and am excited about our upcoming Capetown xmas cruise on E2.

Catlover, I hope you decide to review your E2 cruise. As I mentioned on the SB board, I thought your Odyssey review was very helpful indeed, especially for cruisers new to Seabourn.

Either way, I look forward to hearing your thoughts about this ship after your cruise in December.