Hapag-LLoyd Europa 2.

English Voyager

Thank you for responding quickly.

Are there loyalty levels? By booking a b2b cruise we were moved up to a level with free laundry on Ponant! Very convenient. Does H-L offer such loyalty levels with privileges? I didn't see that on the website.

Edited by Floridiana

They do have a club you can join (for a fee). You will collect miles for your cruise (360 per night) which you can then exchange for discounts, on-board credits (700 miles for 50 Euro), free cruises or upgrades. We recently used our miles for a 1.750 Euro discount per person on our cruise.

No free extras though.

Edited by cathaana

They do have a club you can join (for a fee).

For a fee? :eek:

What is the fee? I wish their website were more informative.

While I am at it: Can we book excursions online from home before the cruise like we do on American ships? On Ponant, we had to book on the ship. Their excursion desk was totally overwhelmed when all passengers tried to ask questions and book at the same time.

While I am at it: Can we book excursions online from home before the cruise like we do on American ships? On Ponant, we had to book on the ship. Their excursion desk was totally overwhelmed when all passengers tried to ask questions and book at the same time.

Hapag -Lloyd request that they be notified of bookings for excursions at least six weeks before departure.

About three months before departure one will receive a booklet containing details of the excursions on offer, together with a Booking Form.

Additionally, for my cruise in September, I received a JPM illustrated guide book to the Eastern Mediterranean.

There are two options for booking excursions.

Either, using the supplied form which can be returned to either one's Cruise Agent, or direct to Hapag-Lloyd.

Or, booking on line using the 'My Booking' facility, for which instructions are provided on the Booking Form.

Edited by English Voyager

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my most recent cruise on the Europa 2 was mid July from Barcelona to Civitavecchia - it was nearly a full house and it seemed there were 52 passengers from non German speaking countries ( despite being Belgian i am listed as " German speaking" it seems;) not needing all the info in English.

i had no problems with the smoking policy - the only place it can be annoying is maybe aside on the counter of the pool bar -

there were quite some youngsters but they all behavied very well - there are special hours that the pool is reserved for children and also for adults

the international hostess and the guest relations manager are very easily to contact

i heard some moaning about the late embarkation time however Hapag Lloyd did provide a lounge in a Barcelona hotel. Welcome aboard is with real - French - champagne and not by "some sparkling stuff " as on Crystal or SS or a glass filled "one inch level" as on SB

all inclusive would not work on such a ship and i prefer to pay a few euro's for a decent mineral water instead of ice water out of a carafe ( sometimes with a chlorine taste )

on the other companies i very occasionnaly drink complimentary wines - the prices on Hapag Lloyd ships are very pleasant

and the service is simply the best ...

Weltmeere is usually closed for lunch unless there is a port function or similar- and then Tarragon is closed.

contrarely to the other 5 starred companies there is a vast selection of cold cuts an cheeses for breakfast and at least 3 freshly juices aside several others

i even once had gourmet breakfast in my cabin with gooseliver and orange confit

enjoy your cruise and maybe try a different gin every day :)

was intending to do another Europa 2 in fall but i am not so crazy of the flights ex Turkey - Istanbul airport is maybe one of the most severe on security i ever saw

be there well in time ! 5 security checks

- one before entering the airport

- one before going to the counter

- traditional passport control + xray

- one before the gate

-one before entering the plane

enjoy your cruise and maybe try a different gin every day :)

was intending to do another Europa 2 in fall but i am not so crazy of the flights ex Turkey - Istanbul airport is maybe one of the most severe on security i ever saw

be there well in time ! 5 security checks

- one before entering the airport

- one before going to the counter

- traditional passport control + xray

- one before the gate

-one before entering the plane

And I thought UK Airports were bad enough!

Fortunately, I will avoid Istanbul Airport as my cruise is back to back, Athens-Athens.

Although I have been assured by my Travel Agent that a Turkish Visa is not required for the two days in Istanbul, I decided to be on the safe side and obtain a Visa from the Embassy in London.

Complete on-line a simple form, pay $20, and the Visa is supplied in pdf format.

I was very surprised how simple, and quick it was to obtain.

37 different Gins.

In England, Gin is nicknamed 'Mother's Ruin'.

http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Mothers-Ruin/

Some years ago we stayed in an hotel in Scotland that boasted that it's bar stocked over 100 different whiskeys.

It was very enjoyable working our way through them.

my TA did inform me that you have to buy your visa for Turkey in advance now and that you cannot obtain it in a port or airport anymore ...

i like 3 of the German gins Monkeys , the Duke and Adler as well aside the UK ones .

Do either of you belong to the H-L Cruises Club? If yes, has it been a decent value for you?

At the moment I do not belong to the Club, but I intend to join during my forthcoming cruise.

In terms of perceived value, it really depends on whether or not one intends to continue cruising with Hapag-Lloyd, as any benefits accrued during one cruise can only be applied to a subsequent cruise.

In my case I am doing a back to back cruise, so benefits from the first can either be applied to the second, or saved for a future cruise.

The terms of the scheme are as follows:

The one-off sign-up Fee to 'The Club' is 150 Euros per person, with an annual Club Fee of 50 Euros per person with effect from the second calendar year of membership.

In respect of the Europa, and Europa 2, amongst other benefits, one collects 360 bonus miles per night.

The acquired bonus miles remain valid for five years.

Bonus miles can be converted into credit:

Bonus miles --Credit

700 --50 €

1.400--100 €

2.100--150 €

2.800--200 €

3.500--250 €

... and so on in corresponding increments. Bonus mile credits are not limited.

So the cost of joining will be recouped after day six of one's first cruise.

I have been a club member for a few years. We've been saving our miles and just used 15,000 of them for a 1,500 Euro discount on our upcoming cruise. So it's definitely been worth it for us.

They also offer quite interesting short cultural/event trips (but mostly within Germany).

• 2 weeks later...
Do either of you belong to the H-L Cruises Club? If yes, has it been a decent value for you?

i joined during my first hapag lloyd in 2007 / i knew for sure i found something extremely good in the declining luxury market

and did receive platinum early this year / but you do not get a special gift or so by reaching gold or platinum

they should give a small reward like giving a full bottle of house champagne instead of the usual half upon embarkation

i spent on drinks / wines on board, once a discount of 1200 eur . and i try to save for some free cruise next year

I just got off SB Odyssey and found the bed matresses as well as the couch in the PH suite very hard. The stewardess got me an egg crate mattress topper for the bed, which helped, but the couch remained a rock. My muscoloskeletal condition predisposes me to mattress problems. :mad:

I am planning ahead for my next SB cruise July 2016 to prereserve an egg crate.

I am wondering what people think about E2's mattresses, are they hard, soft, or did not notice. Same Q RE the room couches.

I am booked on E2 in December and want to plan ahead if there are rock hard mattresses on beds and couches.

Sorry for the cryptic abbreviations.

SB Odyssey is the Seabourn Odyssey ship

Q RE means I have a question regarding . . .

I am trying to get a sense if the mattresses on Europa2 are perceived as hard, soft, or no one noticed, given I had a problem on Seabourn