Post Cruise Tour of Roman Countryside

travellovers2

We are looking for a tour that will take us around the Roman Countryside. We have already spent one week in Rome and saw all the highlights. We are only spending one day post-cruise so we would like to see something else. Our hotel is near the airport so we're looking for a tour company that will pick us up at the port (Civi) and drop us off at the hotel after the tour.

Any suggestions? :)

I'll be the first one to pop in and say "rent a car for the day." You could drive from Civi to your hotel, drop off your bags, and set out for all sorts of places. Orvieto isn't that far of a drive, and you'd be in some very nice hill country. Renting the car would be less expensive than a tour and you could set the pace, AND get back to the hotel when you want.

I am not sure I want the responsibility and hassle of driving in a foreign country where we don't know the language, well we sort of do, but not fluent.

We have been to Orvieto, Assisi, Naples and Pompei.

We are looking at areas outside Rome. We saw a tour to Ostia Antica and Cerveteri? We also saw some tours to different small towns, but since we have 1 day, we want to hear some advice on how to use our 1 day to really enjoy the countryside and see a medieval village or something historic.

If Ostia Antica interests you, you could save a lot of money by hiring someone for transfer from the port to Ostia, with a quick stop at your hotel to drop off your luggage. When you're done at the site you can get a taxi back to your hotel.

For an entire day, what about Tivoli? You can visit Villa Adriana and Villa d'Este with a nice break in between for lunch.

taking the Leonardo Express to Termini and using a company called enjoyrome dot com and doing one of their tours to the Appian, Way, Aqueducts, Catacombs, etc. We took that our and enjoyed it very much! You can explore the museum near Termini also.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

There's a lot you could do.

If you're into archaeology, Ostia Antica is amazing! When we went there, it was overwhelming in the sense that I had no idea how big it was. We spent 8 hours there and enjoyed it! There's plenty to see.

I visited Tarquinia a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. The town was really charming and the Etruscan tombs were very interesting. Would love to go to Cerveteri, but haven't done so yet. (A difference in the ruins: Tarquinia tombs are below-ground. Cerveteri: above-ground).

The Castelli Romani are lovely towns in the hill country surrounding Rome. I went there by train, but if you have a driver you would have lots of options. See http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/lazio/castelliromani.html for more info. I remember their beautiful views!

Bracciano is also a lovely town with a beautiful lake and castle.

I 2nd those who recommended the Appian Way and Tivoli excursions. They make for great days out!

Enjoy your time back in Italy!

Edited by syesmar

I recommend All Around Italy. I have used them three times in Italy and have also reserved them for two tours in October. They are also highly rated on Trip Advisor. They have several different tour suggestions for the Roman countryside on their website and all their tours are fully customizable. The website is http://www.allarounditaly.net

A lot of great suggestions have been posted already.

You have three basic options:

1) Go South toward Naples, Capri, Pompeii, Sorrento and Amalfi Coast.

2) East and somewhat NE to see Orvieto, Assisi, and Perugia.

3) Go North to Sienna, Pisa and Florence.

They are all good. Also, you could stay close to Rome and go to Ostia Antica and Tarquinia.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

If you're into archaeology, Ostia Antica is amazing! When we went there, it was overwhelming in the sense that I had no idea how big it was. We spent 8 hours there and enjoyed it! There's plenty to see.

Enjoy your time back in Italy!

I see you enjoyed Ostia. Did you do it on your own? We have no problem getting to the site but I wondered if we needed a guide?

I just happened to see Ostia Antica on some site and started to research it. I am very excited about going there!

We are looking for a tour that will take us around the Roman Countryside. We have already spent one week in Rome and saw all the highlights. We are only spending one day post-cruise so we would like to see something else. Our hotel is near the airport so we're looking for a tour company that will pick us up at the port (Civi) and drop us off at the hotel after the tour.

Any suggestions? :)

One day post-cruise, I would highly recommend you to go to Tivoli and Castel Gandolfo, where is Pope's summer house.

I see you enjoyed Ostia. Did you do it on your own? We have no problem getting to the site but I wondered if we needed a guide?

I just happened to see Ostia Antica on some site and started to research it. I am very excited about going there!

I just got back from spending 5 days in Rome; one of those days was spent on a full day visit to Ostia.

It's a huge site (like Pompeii). I don't think you need a guide, but you will probably need a map (I believe they sell one at the ticket desk for 2 euros; I already had one with me so I didn't need to purchase it) and some information about the site. Signage is spotty; some places had good signs with information (in English) but in other areas not so much.

At the official website (on the linked page below), there is a good, introductory level guide to the site that you can print out and take with you:

http://www.ostia-antica.org/visiting.htm

We have done quite a few, "out of town" tours from Rome/Civitavecchia

The BEST was a day tour to Orvieto, Civita di Bagnoregio and Lake Bolsano.....if you want the tour operator, would be happy to supply...FABULOUS day.

Another time, we went to Tarquinia, Etruscan tombs, lunch at Agri-turismo.

Another day trip was Villa d'Este, Tivoli and Hadrian's Villa (ruins).

All are wonderful areas, but the first was magical!

Edited by CJcruzer

I just got back from spending 5 days in Rome; one of those days was spent on a full day visit to Ostia.

It's a huge site (like Pompeii). I don't think you need a guide, but you will probably need a map (I believe they sell one at the ticket desk for 2 euros; I already had one with me so I didn't need to purchase it) and some information about the site. Signage is spotty; some places had good signs with information (in English) but in other areas not so much.

At the official website (on the linked page below), there is a good, introductory level guide to the site that you can print out and take with you:

http://www.ostia-antica.org/visiting.htm

Great, thank you. We are also spending five days in Rome. I plan on spending one day in Ostia also. I have a guide I got online and a Rick Steves guide book. I have also watch a set of educational videos on Youtube that were really good. I wish I had the professor to guide us.

Thanks for the info!

I'm excited, 22 days....woo hoo!

Edited by Melozone

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Melozone,

In response to your question, "yes," we did Ostia on our own. Took the train from Rome once on a non-cruise trip. We went at our own pace and really enjoyed it! I echo cruisemom42, you'll need a map to fully appreciate the site.

Rick Steves has a 1 page info sheet that sums the site up: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/ostia.htm

Be SURE to wear a comfortable set of shoes for the ancient pathways!:)

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

• 7 months later...
We have done quite a few, "out of town" tours from Rome/Civitavecchia

The BEST was a day tour to Orvieto, Civita di Bagnoregio and Lake Bolsano.....if you want the tour operator, would be happy to supply...FABULOUS day.

All are wonderful areas, but the first was magical!

I would really appreciate information about the tour operator that you used for Orvieto, Civita di Bagnoregio and Lake Bolsano. We will have an extra day in Civitavecchia in 2014. Many thanks.

I would really appreciate information about the tour operator that you used for Orvieto, Civita di Bagnoregio and Lake Bolsano. We will have an extra day in Civitavecchia in 2014. Many thanks.

I am very interested in this very same thing so hope that the earlier poster will come back and give an answer. Debating lots of options for our pre-cruise days in June.