Photographers - please help!

I am a novice photographer. I have a Canon Rebel 3i that I love. I have the basic lens and have learned how to use most of the standard settings. For our cruise, I would like to get a new lens that has more zoom power. For example, I would like to be able to zoom in for glacier photos at Hubbard Glacier or get closer shots on our whale watchint tour in Juneau. Could you recommend a new lens for me? I'd like something that won't break the budget and that can handle taking photos from a moving cruise ship or a bumpy excursion ship.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Check out this site

http://www.dpreview.com/

They have a lot of info on lenses. Also, if you go on the specific forums, you can ask your question of people own the type of camera that you have, You might also post your question on the Travel Photography forum. I should point out that many of the people on DP do not look kindly on identical multiple posts of the same message so pick you best forum and give it a shot.

DON

I use a Canon T2i and I have a couple of "L" lenses but I like the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 as a walk around do everything lens. When I can I carry my bag with all 5 of my lenses but sometimes that is not possible. Around $450 at Amazon.

I use a Canon T2i and I have a couple of "L" lenses but I like the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 as a walk around do everything lens. When I can I carry my bag with all 5 of my lenses but sometimes that is not possible. Around $450 at Amazon.

This is the same lens that my wife uses on her Nikon 5100. She loves it and doesn't use the other lens that came with her camera bundle.

My wife made a slideshows from the pictures she took on our Alaska southbound cruise last August and posted them on her website. If you are interested in seeing them you can click on the link below. She took some amazing shots of the Hubbard Glacier as it "calved" and humpback whales in Juneau and Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) as well as bears.

Each slideshow will play as soon as the page opens, but you can also go through the pictures by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

Here is the link

http://nancysoasis.com/alaska2012/alaska2012.html

A lens is no place to skimp. :) It will be very worthwhile to spend your money on a "faster" lens, lower f stop, should be a priority, with your wildlife priority.

Good point. You will always buy a new body but lenses last forever.

DON

I also have a Conon DLSR and am very happy with the Tamron 18 - 270.

When looking for a long lens, make sure it has an image stabilization feature: vibration reduction (VR) Nikon, vibration compensation (VC) Tamron, or optical stabilization (OS) Sigma. A couple of general things to keep in mind for your budget vs quality is that the longer the lens the more expensive it will be. Also the faster a lens is (F/2.8 vs F/4 - 5.6) the more expensive it will be.

For me, I like a long lens that goes out to at least 200mm. My everyday walking around lens is a 18-200mm which I love. I am looking for a longer lens and have my eye on a couple of Sigma telephoto lenses. I'd love to get the Sigma 150-500mm but it is a very heavy and expensive lens.

In addition to wmjivey's suggestion to rent (Google rent lenses), I agree with Budget Queen that a lens is no place to skimp, so you might want to consider buying used. I recently bought a used pro lens from B&H for my Nikon and saved a lot over new. I'm saving up for a Sigma 150-500mm and when I have the money, I will again look for it used.

Check out the following for used equipment:

B&H Photo

KEH Camera

ADORAMA

And of course there is always eBay and Craig's List.

Thank you guys so much for the help! Since I already have an 18-55mm that came standard, I'm considering a 55-200mm with image stabilization. It looks like Canon has one that's on a pretty good sale right now. We don't travel much, so although I want a good lens, I hate to spend a whole lot. I'll check out the places to rent as well.

I've been playing with the continuous mode, which I think will be useful for catching whales and glaciers calving. Any other tips?

I have the 55-200 with IS and it worked fine for me when I did a whale watch in California a couple years ago. The waters were pretty rough, but my pictures still turned out well. I have the Canon T3.

When looking for a long lens, make sure it has an image stabilization feature: vibration reduction (VR) Nikon, vibration compensation (VC) Tamron, or optical stabilization (OS) Sigma. A couple of general things to keep in mind for your budget vs quality is that the longer the lens the more expensive it will be. Also the faster a lens is (F/2.8 vs F/4 - 5.6) the more expensive it will be.

For me, I like a long lens that goes out to at least 200mm. My everyday walking around lens is a 18-200mm which I love. I am looking for a longer lens and have my eye on a couple of Sigma telephoto lenses. I'd love to get the Sigma 150-500mm but it is a very heavy and expensive lens.

In addition to wmjivey's suggestion to rent (Google rent lenses), I agree with Budget Queen that a lens is no place to skimp, so you might want to consider buying used. I recently bought a used pro lens from B&H for my Nikon and saved a lot over new. I'm saving up for a Sigma 150-500mm and when I have the money, I will again look for it used.

Check out the following for used equipment:

B&H Photo

KEH Camera

ADORAMA

And of course there is always eBay and Craig's List.

One thing to consider. Based on what you want to photograph, I don't feel like Image Stabilization is a must have. IS is great for low light, static objects and really useful for composing using the LCD. However, outdoors with good sunlight and moving subjects, the value of IS is significantly diminished. Also, some IS systems are not useful for panning.

You had mentioned shooting whales and calving glaciers. I was able to get some good shots of whales and calving glaciers using high shutter speed with my 70-200 F4L non-IS. Hindsight, I could have probably backed off my shutter speed and closed down my aperture to increase depth of field. Because of the lighting conditions (overcast and drizzling) I was shooting at 1/1000, F4, ISO on auto, but around 100-200 most of the time...but I digress.

Im not sure of your budget, but I recently saw that Canon direct was selling refurbished 70-200F4Ls for around $500. 200mm may not be enough glass for you (in Alaska, you always want more), but if you want 'L quality', this is definitely the best bang for your buck.

In my experience, having the 70-200 with me was great, but there were times that I would switch to a wide angle lens to capture some of the wide open spaces that is Alaska. However, on a boat, switching lenses is not ideal. There may be some good value in getting a more all in one lens.

Some tips:

1. Leave your lens cap in your pocket/camera case. Get a lens hood and a UV filter if you are concerned about damage. Things happen in Alaska at nature's timing and it doesn't wait for you to take your cap off.

2. You won't need a tripod/monopod for shooting whales/glaciers. Most of the time, you will be on a moving boat and the tripod/monopod will just transfer the boat vibrations to your camera. Shoot at higher shutter speeds to compensate or use IS if you have it.

3. Get a good camera strap like a Black Rapid. Hanging your camera around your neck with a lot of glass can be very tiring.

4. If you do get IS, remember, IS uses a lot of battery. Take along a couple extras and a charger.

5. Dont forget to take video too. Some things are better experienced with video.

6. Shoot lots, shoot often! Have fun and post your pics!

Hello it depends on the budget I keep a 18 to 270 on my canon t3i and on my t4i i keep my canon 100-400 this is a very expensive lense. I use a battery pack and a hand grip on both of my cameras.. I also have a dual strap so the cameras hang on my sides... Ready to go...

You may want to look into renting a lense for the time in alaska. this can save money

Go to a local zoo shoot some animals so you can learn you settings

Good luck

Rent! I am renting the Canon L 70-200mm f/2.8 for my Alaska trip, w/ shipping and insurance for 10 days it was like $125. It retails for $1450 so for not even a 1/10th of the price I get to use it and the return it, haha. For the 200mm you might want a little more reach so you can rent the 2x teleconverter for the 70-200mm so it'll be a 140-400mm lens at f/5.6 which is what the 100-400mm L shoots at at 400mm anyway. If all of that sounds like greek (it did to me when I first got my DSLR) just google them or look them at dpreview.com. I tend not to trust "do it all zooms" like the 18-270mm, etc. They are either slow or not as sharp at the wide end, etc. I prefer a dedicated wide angle and a dedicated telephoto. Good luck w/ your decision!

• 2 weeks later...

Some tips:

1. Leave your lens cap in your pocket/camera case. Get a lens hood and a UV filter if you are concerned about damage. Things happen in Alaska at nature's timing and it doesn't wait for you to take your cap off.

2. You won't need a tripod/monopod for shooting whales/glaciers. Most of the time, you will be on a moving boat and the tripod/monopod will just transfer the boat vibrations to your camera. Shoot at higher shutter speeds to compensate or use IS if you have it.

3. Get a good camera strap like a Black Rapid. Hanging your camera around your neck with a lot of glass can be very tiring.

4. If you do get IS, remember, IS uses a lot of battery. Take along a couple extras and a charger.

5. Dont forget to take video too. Some things are better experienced with video.

6. Shoot lots, shoot often! Have fun and post your pics!

Great tips. Thanks

In over 50 years as a pro photographer, I have used my 200 mm lens about half a dozen times. I shoot about 90% of my photos with a 28 mm lens. On rare occasions, I use a standard 55 mm lens with a "doubler." The longer the lens, the more chance of camera movement. Consider using a wide-angle or standard lens, then having an enlargement made if you get a really good shot. And yes, take lots of exposures.

In over 50 years as a pro photographer, I have used my 200 mm lens about half a dozen times. I shoot about 90% of my photos with a 28 mm lens. On rare occasions, I use a standard 55 mm lens with a "doubler." The longer the lens, the more chance of camera movement. Consider using a wide-angle or standard lens, then having an enlargement made if you get a really good shot. And yes, take lots of exposures.

Good advice for scenics and in-town walkabouts...not so much for Alaskan wildlife. Grizzlies are notoriously touchy about photographers running up to them for a good wide-angle shot and it's hard to tell a humpback from a sea slug in a 28mm shot from 200 yards out. I respect your 50 years of professionalism and to each their own when it comes to shooting style, but none of the major manufacturers would make long lenses if someone else's style or need didn't create a demand.

I just finished a Caribbean cruise with nothing longer than 55mm but Alaska is a very different story and one sometimes needs a longer reach to turn the pages.

Dave

First thing I recommend, if you are thinking of making a hobby and you think you might later upgrade your T3i camera body. Stick to the EF series lenses and not the EF-S lenses. The EF-S lenses can only be used on the crop series of cameras where the EF series can be used on all. If there is a possibility you might go to a full frame you will save yourself some bucks in the future. I just upgraded to the 7D from the T3i because I wanted the higher burst rate when taking pictures.

One thing with using the T3i which is a cropped sensor, multiply your lens distances by 1.6, a 70 - 200 lens becomes 112 - 320 on your body and a 70 300 becomes a 112 - 480

The best lens for distance would be the Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 IS USM II, however you are looking at some serious Dough ($2600.00 USD).

I started by buying the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC ($449.00 USD) which is a very good lens for a starter IMHO and got me some excellent pictures in Alaska and Mexico. It gets good reviews and it does not break the bank. The VC (Vibration Control) is very good.

Good advice for scenics and in-town walkabouts...not so much for Alaskan wildlife. Grizzlies are notoriously touchy about photographers running up to them for a good wide-angle shot and it's hard to tell a humpback from a sea slug in a 28mm shot from 200 yards out. I respect your 50 years of professionalism and to each their own when it comes to shooting style, but none of the major manufacturers would make long lenses if someone else's style or need didn't create a demand.

I just finished a Caribbean cruise with nothing longer than 55mm but Alaska is a very different story and one sometimes needs a longer reach to turn the pages.

Dave

I've photographed grizzlies in Yellowstone, but yes, in that case, it was with a 200 mm lens...and I was wearing my running shoes LOL. But as I noted above, camera jiggle made my photos a bit fuzzy. I didn't have time for a tripod or unipod.

Yes, most/all camera manufacturers make long lenses, but most pro photographers use them sparingly. I know some who use mainly 18-20 mm lenses, but those are a bit much for me.

I went on an Alaskan cruise last year with my rebel T3i and T2i. On one body I put my L series 24-105 lens and on the other body I had my L series 70-200 (IS absolutely necessary in my experience.) No tripod. It worked great. I could easily switch back and forth between cameras depending on the picture that I wanted to get.

If your Alaskan cruise leaves out of Seattle, Fly in a day early and check out Glaser Camera. It is absolutely HUGE and rents as well as sells new and used equipment. If you are a camera person and are in Seattle, it's a definite MUST SEE, imho.

• 2 months later...

The Tamron 18-270 is great lens for outdoor daylight photos. It's probably the most economic choice available.

Archived