Question about photography

GadgetRick

Ok, going on our first cruise in July (Carnival Fascination). I'm a photographer and wouldn't mind bringing one of my cameras (you'd be surprised how little I carry it with me--too much like work!). I know there's a safe in the room but not really big enough for the few things I'd bring. How safe is it to have hidden in the cabin somewhere when not in use? I realize nobody can say for certain but just want to get an idea of whether I should bring one.

Thanks.

I will never take anything with me that I would be devastated to lose. I'm sure your cameras are fully insured but would not take one that would be hard to replace.

For the most part I think the crew are pretty honest but you never know. Do you have any fairly small camera that might fit in the safe?

My wife is the photographer in our family. She uses a Nikon 5100 and a Tamron 18-270 lens when we travel. When she's not using it, takes off the lens and hides it, then hides the camera in a separate place.

I'm sure your equipment is much more expensive, but this idea might work for you as well.

Happy cruising!

Thanks. Other than my cell phone, I don't have a small camera. :)

Yes my gear is all insured but it would still suck having to go through replacing what was lost if that happened.

I also bring my iPad everywhere. I read every night before going to sleep and I read on my iPad so I'm used to hiding that.

I'll have to decide whether to bring any gear or not.

Ok, going on our first cruise in July (Carnival Fascination). I'm a photographer and wouldn't mind bringing one of my cameras (you'd be surprised how little I carry it with me--too much like work!). I know there's a safe in the room but not really big enough for the few things I'd bring. How safe is it to have hidden in the cabin somewhere when not in use? I realize nobody can say for certain but just want to get an idea of whether I should bring one.

Thanks.

I bring two to three cameras and a laptop and usually leave all out on the desk. I haven't had a problem yet. So, if you are worried, just put your stuff in your luggage and put the luggage under your bed. You should be fine.

You may want to look into a KYSS (Keep Your Stuff Safe) bag. I have seen people discuss on these forums and looked it up myself.

Is a "slash proof" soft side tote bag; zipper locks as on luggage and there is a retractable chain you loop through your deck chair or other item then lock the chain to the zipper. I think there were two sizes and multiple colors.

May be worth it for peace of mind. You could use it in your cabin to secure your camera and accessories that will not fit in the safe.

My Nikon D40 & it's assorted lenses spent it's downtime in my Lowepro Fastpack 250 backpack. Had no worries about my camera, lenses, or laptop. My camera bag was in the corner of our cabin, near the foot of my bed, and nobody bothered it. The laptop I kept in the closet.

Laptop gets set up on the desk when I get to the cabin, and it stays there until I leave.

Camera, lenses, never took any time to hide them or anything.

Never had a problem.

Also, OP, since you are a photographer, there is a board on CC dedicated to photography, check it out.

You may want to look into a KYSS (Keep Your Stuff Safe) bag. I have seen people discuss on these forums and looked it up myself.

Is a "slash proof" soft side tote bag; zipper locks as on luggage and there is a retractable chain you loop through your deck chair or other item then lock the chain to the zipper. I think there were two sizes and multiple colors.

May be worth it for peace of mind. You could use it in your cabin to secure your camera and accessories that will not fit in the safe.

Also, if you have a laundry bag, stashing something under your dirty clothes would be a possibilty. After all, who would want to dig through someone's dirty undies and smelly socks in the hope of finding something valuable?:eek::D

I just bought a PACSAFE Travel Safe 20L to use for our electronics in our cabin. We have friends who had their room safe broken into and things stolen. I also plan on using it for beach day since you can lock it to a tree or other immobile object while you are out swimming or walking on the beach.

I just bought a PACSAFE Travel Safe 20L to use for our electronics in our cabin. We have friends who had their room safe broken into and things stolen. I also plan on using it for beach day since you can lock it to a tree or other immobile object while you are out swimming or walking on the beach.

If they broke into a "room safe" I am sure a "PACSAFE Travel Safe 20L" would be child's play to the perps.

First my experiences of late are with Princess who we now cruise excluisivly with. I have never had a bad experience leaving stuff out in the cabin including my wifes expensive camera and three lenses. I have left cash out and never lost a penny. The cash was by mistake but it was all there when we came back from port. Maybe it's just me but I'm a trusting person until you prove me wrong. We always make sure both the cabin and balcony doors are locked when we leave but other than that we don't take any other precautions. I've found more stuff left behind in cabins from the previous occupants than I could ever loose.

My oldest brother is always taking pictures wherever he goes, expecially on cruises. He brings his big professional camera, and also a waterproof digital camera with him. He keeps his waterproof camera in his closet, while he's not using it. But he keeps his professional camera in it's case, and carries it with him around his neck while on the ship.

I bought one of these for upcoming trips as well. Apparently room safes aren't standard in hotels overseas.

I have taken lots of camera equipment, computer equipment, and other electronic gear and have never locked up one thing on board a ship, and have never lost a single thing. In Alaska I had my DSLR with about five lenses, a netbook, iPod, phones and DW's small point-and-shoot Nikon. Never had a problem at all. Period.

In the Galapagos, we were on a small, small ship, but they didn't even lock the cabins. I had two DSLRs, a bunch of lenses, etc., and no problem whatsoever.

Now, if you are going ashore in a place where there is an issue with pickpockets and thieves, then you might want to get something slash-proof.

How interesting! I actually thought that the cabins are absolutely safe. I am also going to take my Nikon D7000 and lenses. Of course it’s insured, but I still don’t want to lose it. To tell the truth I’m more worried about the ports in Italy. Is it safe to carry such a camera?

My camera bag isn't a camera bag - it's a Timbuk2 bag that works great and doesn't scream MY CAMERA IS IN HERE! My DSLR is in the Timbuk2 bag when I'm not using. I have a little pocket camera that I take to the MDR & everywhere else & I'm rarely without it.

While the stewards to leave the cabin doors open while cleaning a few at a time, I've never felt like I had to hide my stuff - more like just put it away where it belongs. The only things we've locked away in our safe are our wallets/billfolds, cell phones, and passports. We get cash &/or wallets out as we need them.

I've taken computers and camera equipment valued at more the 10K on many a cruise and vacaton/hotel. Almost never put into a "safe" simply tuck into a drawer or luggage to conceal them and was good. Manytimes the computers were just left out on the table and okay.

Just hide them, and you will be good!

Archived