Internet access

GadgetRick

You don't mention the ship but I believe all have internet access. On some ships you have to go to certain areas of the ship and others have wifi in the cabins. It is often very slow (think less than dial-up slow) and very expensive. Most cruise lines offer a package deal (rates and times vary) or you can buy by the minute (usually in the area of 75 cents/minute).

There are times when there is no access available.

...not to work but I do a lot on the Internet (like so many others).

I may be reading your cryptic language wrong...but be aware that like most public networks "a lot" of what "so many others" access on the internet will be blocked by the ship. Will be nice to have a week off from it. :rolleyes:

Ah, a bit steep on price. Not surprising but a bummer.

LOL! Not looking to view anything crazy, just bum around as usual. Being disconnected or connected doesn't make or break a vacation for me. But I like to keep in touch with my friends, etc. :)

Thanks for the info!

Wifi is slow and it can sometimes take 2 minutes or more just to download one page. You won't find people just doing Internet stuff because its so slow and very expensive. Also, don't use your smartphone to do the Internet because you'll come home to a phone bill in the four or five figures. With smartphones you're accessing the Internet using the ship's satellite at $2.49 a minute.

As previously mentioned use the free sites in port. Sending an e mail can take 5 minutes of your purchased time. Complicated web pages can take up to 10 minutes to load depending on how many ships users are online and how busy the web site is you are trying to access. Most ships have wireless anywhere onboard but some places are better than others. A low deck with an inside cabin is about the worst. Too much steel for the signal to pass through without being attenuated to the point of being useless. Save your money for something else.

There are ways to get it speedy enough to do a Video Chat and get it free. Penthouse suites on Princess get free WiFi that is good enough for Video Chat. One place you cannot go is Cruise Critic this whole site is blocked along with others as has been said. The reason is Princess is owned by Carnival and Carnival owns Cruise Critic. We will be using Video Chat from our next cruise back to my Granddaughter and other friends.

There are ways to get it speedy enough to do a Video Chat and get it free. Penthouse suites on Princess get free WiFi that is good enough for Video Chat. One place you cannot go is Cruise Critic this whole site is blocked along with others as has been said. The reason is Princess is owned by Carnival and Carnival owns Cruise Critic. We will be using Video Chat from our next cruise back to my Granddaughter and other friends.

Huh? Wha?

1. Princess discontiuned the benefit of unlimited internet minutes for suite passengers nearly a year ago (though existing bookings were grandfathered in);

2. I was on Grand Princess in December and had no problem accessing this site. The "urban legend" that the ships are monitoring here and disabling access for the remainder of the voyage if anyone onboard posts anything negative is exactly that. And your statement about "ownership" of Cruise Critic is completely wrong and will probably get this thread deleted.

Yes, I'm gonna ask...is there Internet access onboard? No, not to work but I do a lot on the Internet (like so many others). Would be nice to have it.

sure if you are willing to fork over the money for slower than dial up connection speed. also many sites are blocked due to bandwidth issues.

I've never heard that Princess can't access CC. I thought all cruise lines could access it. I know I've read and posted to CC on several cruise lines.

This has to be one of the most erroneous posts I have ever seen.

- Passengers in suites no longer get free internet.

- Carnival does not own Cruise Critic.

- Princess does not block access to Cruise Critic.

This has to be one of the most erroneous posts I have ever seen.

- Passengers in suites no longer get free internet.

- Carnival does not own Cruise Critic.

- Princess does not block access to Cruise Critic.

Not only that, but Princess doesn't have Penthouses, either!

Archived