The NEW Celebrity Secrets thread (4/2013)

ghstudio

Would love to do a galley tour .... where more specifically did you go to get told to return for the tour? The samples would be great too!
Check the daily schedule, or ask the Captains Club host(ess). I asked in another thread and was told that they have them on all ships.

The samples are OK, but you can get food in other places on the ship. The tour is something you have to see! I actually went twice last cruise since they offered it on two different days. Be sure to bring a camera!

From the initial post:

They often offer some specialty dining discounts on the first day of the cruise. If you have a reservation where a discount would apply, you can ask for the difference to be credited to your account.

Walk around to the different restaurants after you board and ask if they have specials for that night. Don't rely on what the specialty dining desk offers. I got 50% off at QSine on our Silhouette cruise by walking in on the first day of the cruise and asking if they had any specials. I had booked a reservation there later in the cruise but cancelled it (we really enjoyed it, but the second time would not have had the same effect). Amusingly I tried to get Murano to do 50% off before that but the maitre'd there refused and made it seem like I was asking for something outrageous (I learned from someone else that he was giving 50% off later in the day, as I had read that previous cruisers had gotten). We ended up dining at QSine with another couple who was doing the same thing as us and had also been rebuffed at Murano.

"Egg crates" is the term used for the mattress toppers that you can request from your cabin steward. So-called because it looks like the paper carton which holds 12 eggs. If you are used to a very soft, comfy mattress, then the egg crate will be very much to your liking.:)

Aren't the new mattresses they've been putting in pretty soft?

You get amazing service from then on out. We have had extra canapes at night brought to us before dinner, extra strawberries, cookies with the decaff coffee we order at night and so on.

You also get service with a smile after that, too. Our steward said that they don't often have access to such things and that it was really nice to have it.

I have always been given excellent service- for instance, our steward found me a kettle on our Southern Caribbean Eclipse cruise. All the kettles were supposed to boxed up in Miami, awaiting Eclipse's return to Southampton, but one was found for me.

I had asked, not bribed!

Aren't the new mattresses they've been putting in pretty soft?

Yes, they're soft enough for us, but the egg crates make them more like a "pillow top".

Actually, we learned about the egg crates while cruising with Princess. On a 32 night cruise from Alaska to Bangkok we really needed that extra softness -- Princess mattresses can sometimes be like sleeping on a cement block (or at least they were for us, and we like relatively hard mattresses!).

My secrets aren't really secrets. I bring clip magnets (heavy duty) to hold invitations, etc. (the walls of every stateroom are metal after all). I also bring two highlighter pens, one for me & one for DH so we can mark up the daily paper with what we want to remember to do. Always have post it notes (good size) & gallon size zip lock bags. I put my beach stuff, book, lotion, $$ in a zip lock back inside a zippered pocket of my sling back pack. Love to see the different hints people come up with

This is not a Celebrity-specific secret, but it is a great tip.

We take a couple of bags of the mini-chocolate bars (Milky Way, Snickers, etc.) on each trip.

When we have someone bring something to our room, we wrap a dollar around one of those.

The crew loves them. The first time you hand it to them, they look puzzled at the lumpy dollar, but when they open it, they say, "Oh! Chocolate!"

You get amazing service from then on out. We have had extra canapes at night brought to us before dinner, extra strawberries, cookies with the decaff coffee we order at night and so on.

You also get service with a smile after that, too. Our steward said that they don't often have access to such things and that it was really nice to have it.

Great idea! Who doesn't love chocolate?

"Egg crates" is the term used for the mattress toppers that you can request from your cabin steward. So-called because it looks like the paper carton which holds 12 eggs. If you are used to a very soft, comfy mattress, then the egg crate will be very much to your liking.:)

Ah got it now! Thanks for explaining!

This is not a Celebrity-specific secret, but it is a great tip.

We take a couple of bags of the mini-chocolate bars (Milky Way, Snickers, etc.) on each trip.

When we have someone bring something to our room, we wrap a dollar around one of those.

The crew loves them. The first time you hand it to them, they look puzzled at the lumpy dollar, but when they open it, they say, "Oh! Chocolate!"

Nice idea, i already wanted to note it .... BUT as I live in the EU and don't have one dollars it's hard for me - the lowest bill here is 5 EUR thats 6-7 USD. That way the chocolate looks too cheap ;)

On HAL, there were half-price cocktails for happy hour in the Crows Nest every evening. Are there happy hour specials anywhere on Celebrity? They list a drink of the day in the daily, but I don't think they are discounted. DH and I are not big drinkers so do not buy the drink pkg. I did ask on my last cruise and the bar tender told me they did not have anything like that . Thanks.

I wonder if perhaps people are talking about two different areas? On our last cruise on the Solstice, you could not 'stumble in' to the relaxation room- you needed a special key. Not sure if all AQ have that programmed into their keys as we used the one day entry which is part of the Elite perks. We had to go to the desk and get a special key to enter. Not sure if it is that way on all ships?

Two different areas.

For access to the Persian Garden in the Spa area you need to exchange your AQ room key for a PG access key then hand back when you are finished.

The Relaxation Room is at the very forward end of deck 11 and needs no access key. Supposed to be a Spa waiting area and for use of AQ only. It was mostly empty there was no checking of who used it.

On HAL, there were half-price cocktails for happy hour in the Crows Nest every evening. Are there happy hour specials anywhere on Celebrity? They list a drink of the day in the daily, but I don't think they are discounted. DH and I are not big drinkers so do not buy the drink pkg. I did ask on my last cruise and the bar tender told me they did not have anything like that . Thanks.

One Equinox a few weeks ago they listed a happy hour in

a) Passport Bar late afternoon around 4-5pm

b) Quasar 11pm - 12pm.

Nice idea, i already wanted to note it .... BUT as I live in the EU and don't have one dollars it's hard for me - the lowest bill here is 5 EUR thats 6-7 USD. That way the chocolate looks too cheap ;)

No problem if you want to exchange some € (we also live in the EU) at the Guest Relations desk after you board. The exchange rate isn't great, but it will be easy enough to exchange €20 for approx. $25 (rate right now is $1.32 = € 1). That way you're sure to have enough single dollars for the room service deliveries. €5 is a lot to tip for a room delivery of breakfast or something simple. (Or, maybe change some €€ at any bank before you leave home. The currency onboard Celebrity is generally $$, even on the European cruises.)

Wishing you a great cruise on Reflection!!:)

Check the daily schedule, or ask the Captains Club host(ess). I asked in another thread and was told that they have them on all ships.

The samples are OK, but you can get food in other places on the ship. The tour is something you have to see! I actually went twice last cruise since they offered it on two different days. Be sure to bring a camera!

Thank you with 2 sea days on the Silhouette I'll be sure to check it out & always have my camera ready!

Check out the link below to a thread that has great pics of the brunch. Edit....check out post 3, picture one, background.....white chocolate fountain.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1611134

This thread has been so helpful. So we will be on Reflection in November - will there be a brunch? Is it in the MDR? On a sea day?

What times are the brunch usually? I really loved the photos and would love to check it out.

Thanks!

Would love a galley tour - we sail on Reflection in November. Is that offered? What do we do to get on this? Is there a fee?

Watch the daily schedule, or ask the Captains Club host when it will be (or ask your assistant maitre'd, let them earn their tip).

It's free. Note the person you were replying to said "We had the free galley tour on the Silhouette TA in April".

Edited by MisterBill99

Would love a galley tour - we sail on Reflection in November. Is that offered? What do we do to get on this? Is there a fee?

Last time we scheduled a galley tour when it was announced in the daily. You had to call the given number and make a reservation in advance a day or two. No fee.

Last time we scheduled a galley tour when it was announced in the daily. You had to call the given number and make a reservation in advance a day or two. No fee.

What ship was that and how long ago? In late 2011 on Silhouette, you just showed up in the MDR at the specified time and they took people in groups.

This thread has been so helpful. So we will be on Reflection in November - will there be a brunch? Is it in the MDR? On a sea day?

What times are the brunch usually? I really loved the photos and would love to check it out.

Thanks!

From what I have read on the boards, it is usually held on the last sea day from like 11-2. It is not heavily advertised. There will be a mention in the daily paper and your waiter may mention it after dinner the previous evening in the MDR.

From what I have read on the boards, it is usually held on the last sea day from like 11-2. It is not heavily advertised. There will be a mention in the daily paper and your waiter may mention it after dinner the previous evening in the MDR.

I think this is another one where you should ask the assistant maitre'd and let them earn their tip.

I do love the MDR Brunch, and have missed it on 1/3 cruises because I didn't read my Celebrity Daily. I have missed several other things - great presentations and panel discussions as well. I am getting a little more disciplined - its all there!

Having said that, brunch can be a little like "embarkation day" in the Ocean View - enthusiastic, competitive, anxious... and there is no where you can walk and not step into someone's camera shot:eek:.

I totally agree with this! We missed it on our first cruise because we booked in a cooking class in Murano before the Celebrity Daily was available. We now know that it is generally held the last sea day, but seriously how would we have known this on our first cruise? We now chat up the sommeliers on the first day to find out when all the wine events are on. Again on our first cruise we were shocked when a champagne tasting was canceled because only three of us turned up. The event was titled "Sabring at Sea" so we speculated that it was lost on most folks that the event involved using a sabre to open a champagne bottle. We also strongly suspected that there was little advertising other than the listing in CD. BTW, very cool! The staff did it for us and then let us finish up the bottle. They were very kind and apologized that they would not be opening up the more expensive champagne that was supposed to be included in the tasting, but of course they did not charge us for the event. I certainly don't think restaurant staff should go through everything, but a mention of special events such as the brunch would be nice. So my addition to secrets are: 1) Read the CD line by line 2) ask the sommeliers about wine events 3) ask the wait staff about special events 4) ask fellow cruisers about their favorite events.

No problem if you want to exchange some € (we also live in the EU) at the Guest Relations desk after you board. The exchange rate isn't great, but it will be easy enough to exchange €20 for approx. $25 (rate right now is $1.32 = € 1). That way you're sure to have enough single dollars for the room service deliveries. €5 is a lot to tip for a room delivery of breakfast or something simple. (Or, maybe change some €€ at any bank before you leave home. The currency onboard Celebrity is generally $$, even on the European cruises.)

Wishing you a great cruise on Reflection!!:)

Good one, gonna change at the guest relations then!

Thanks alot, I hope it will be great as the last one on the Equinox :)

btw, "Captain's Club Host" - where do i find her/him? :confused: