Escargot?

floralscent

I read awhile back that Celebrity was not serving escargot in the MDR due to a possible shortage. Is this still true? We are sailing on the Silhouette in May and really would love to taste that great appetizer again!

If not served, is there a comparable substitute?

I read awhile back that Celebrity was not serving escargot in the MDR due to a possible shortage. Is this still true? We are sailing on the Silhouette in May and really would love to taste that great appetizer again!

I understand that there is still a shortage that make it nearly impossible to keep the ships stocked at a reasonable price.

In the same dish they server sauteed mushroom caps stuffed with minced crab meat. If you cross your eyes and have 4 glasses of wine before the first course, it almost seems like escargot. :D

How about those huge snails that are invading Miami - they'd make quite a meal.

Oops Karen - I see you beat me to it.

Edited by Mrs. CJD

Love the comment about the huge wild Escargot in FL...:D.

But this situation is RCI- company wide as we had none on the Allure in October and this was true on the Eclipse in February..........we were also told about the shortage and they were substituting bay scallops made in the same way on the Allure but nada on the Eclipse

I wonder what is happening on Holland America and other lines owned by Carnival................Anyone know if they have a shortage???

Edited by skiron
Addition

Love the comment about the huge wild Escargot in FL...:D.

But this situation is RCI- company wide as we had none on the Allure in October and this was true on the Eclipse in February..........we were also told about the shortage and they were substituting bay scallops made in the same way on the Allure but nada on the Eclipse

I wonder what is happening on Holland America and other lines owned by Carnival................Anyone know if they have a shortage???

This sounds delicious! How did they taste?

The server at the Blu was from Indonesia and its not quite the harvest season yet and hence a huge shortage. Paul the cruise director also answered this question while at the star chef show and he said their contract supplier in Indonesia had no inventory yet so they had to use stuffed mushroom to replace the escargot from the menu.

So I assume that would be true on both parts and I learned something new from this 4/6 cruise. I did not know Escargot were from Indonesia. Wow !!!!

Shortage??? Source from Indonesia??? What the... Huge supply in Florida. Just read about the giant African land snail infestation down there. Check it out.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us/florida-giant-snails/index.html

All Celebrity needs to do is send out their crews on a snail hunt when they're in port to bag as many as they need. Win.. Win.. Cruisers get their Escargots and Florida solves their infestation problem.

On the Reflection during the galley tour the head chef was asked why no escargot and he said he misses them also because the mushroom caps cost more.

Just ask for extra garlic butter and those mushrooms will taste the same.

We were just off the MILLENNIUM a couple of weeks ago,

on a S.E. Asia cruise.

I am VERY PLEASED to report, that they were on the "Everyday Menu", and,I ordered them "everyday". ;)

It got so our waiter always had them for me, and, of course, fresh French bread bagutte to sop up the garlic butter... YUM!!!!! :D

Do not know if they are fleet wide, but,

they sure were in S.E. Asia... :)

• 3 weeks later...
Looking for more updates. On Princess last month, no escargot and it's only on the menu one night. They said that it was a world wide shortage...

Hopefully Celebrity has theirs onboard ;)

We were on the Emerald Princess March/April 2013 for a ten day Cruise. On the first formal evening my wife had escargot. As she was eating it the Head Waiter stopped by to chat for a moment and my wife commented how good the escargot was. The Head Waiter asked my wife if she would care to have escargot every evening. She declined.