Escargot?

floralscent

If you really like escargot, one option is Murano.

They have an escargot appetizer that is UNBELIEVABLE!:)

Trust me, just go, pay the $40 PP fee and enjoy.

The meal we had on Century last year was perhaps one of our top 5 ever.

Edited by curtdesilets
spelling

We're not paying $40.00 to get escargot. ;)

In that case we'll bring our own. A can costs about $5.00 here. :D

(kidding)

On our March Brilliance cruise, they were available, and we did have them every night.

The trick was to get them served suitably hot. The first night, they were served only warm. And those who eat escargot know - warm won't do. So.. back they went.

They went back 3 times, until the Maitre'd got involved and finally they arrived piping hot. And thats how they were served the remainder of the cruise. :)

Excellent service from our Maitre'd and Assistant waiter - In fact the best we've ever had on any cruise.

Speaking of S-car-go:

snail.jpg

Zooom zooom!

Edited by erin_cruisers

Here is an excerpt from an article from a year ago in a culinary magazine talking about the snail shortage of 2012. At this point in time, they are not anticipating a continued shortage. Only time (and costs $$$) will tell.

"Snails have been extremely scarce during the past two years in Indonesia. Packers normally source snails during the rainy season that lasts from November through March. Snails are obtained from the wild – they aren’t farmed like most of the European Helix snails are, and are therefore very sensitive to weather conditions. Last year the rainy season was very short and this year it was extremely tough, with lots of flooding in the area snails are usually found. One of the largest packers claimed that they couldn’t obtain enough raw materials to run the factory most days. They usually shut down the facilities during the dry season but this year they are planning to run longer and just keep packing as raw material comes in to fill orders. Since there are so many unfilled orders we can’t expect this situation to ease up until after next year’s rainy season."

Escargot was available on the Infinity from May 1 - June 3.

Your reports post cruise have been very helpful and that is the best post yet!!

Do you know, did this include Blu?

Here is an excerpt from an article from a year ago in a culinary magazine talking about the snail shortage of 2012. At this point in time' date=' they are not anticipating a continued shortage. Only time (and costs $$$) will tell.

[i']"Snails have been extremely scarce during the past two years in Indonesia. Packers normally source snails during the rainy season that lasts from November through March. Snails are obtained from the wild – they aren’t farmed like most of the European Helix snails are, and are therefore very sensitive to weather conditions. Last year the rainy season was very short and this year it was extremely tough, with lots of flooding in the area snails are usually found. One of the largest packers claimed that they couldn’t obtain enough raw materials to run the factory most days. They usually shut down the facilities during the dry season but this year they are planning to run longer and just keep packing as raw material comes in to fill orders. Since there are so many unfilled orders we can’t expect this situation to ease up until after next year’s rainy season."[/i]

I Would Love To Put This on My Resume:

European Helix Snail Farmer

I wonder if you need a good snail dog to rustle them up. :D

We're not paying $40.00 to get escargot. ;)

In that case we'll bring our own. A can costs about $5.00 here. :D

(kidding)

On our March Brilliance cruise, they were available, and we did have them every night.

The trick was to get them served suitably hot. The first night, they were served only warm. And those who eat escargot know - warm won't do. So.. back they went.

They went back 3 times, until the Maitre'd got involved and finally they arrived piping hot. And thats how they were served the remainder of the cruise. :)

Excellent service from our Maitre'd and Assistant waiter - In fact the best we've ever had on any cruise.

Speaking of S-car-go:

snail.jpg

Zooom zooom!

Bet there is NO shortage at that price! :)

Bet there is NO shortage at that price! :)

Clarification:eek:

The $40 for Murano... covers the entire meal. Escargot Tortellini is one of your appetizer choices. I was not saying it is an additional $40 for Escargot. Jeeshh!! :eek:

I Would Love To Put This on My Resume:

European Helix Snail Farmer

I know, right??

I think I might start telling people this at bars when they ask me what I do. Need to look into European Helix Snail Farming to make sure I get all the lingo down correctly....

Although...if it is easy enough to start up, I think I know a company that needs a few extra snails onboard its ships!

Clarification:eek:

The $40 for Murano... covers the entire meal. Escargot Tortellini is one of your appetizer choices. I was not saying it is an additional $40 for Escargot. Jeeshh!! :eek:

Didn't take it that way, but I would still suggest that if there is any shortage, the MDR would bear the brunt of the shortage, vs being served in Murano's where they do charge for the dinner.

• 2 weeks later...
was the "Escargot Tortellini" appetizer they serve in Murano.

Try it. Seriously!! :D

Thanks - may check that out - but the $40 pp charge to dine there is a bit off putting for me since I've heard good things about the MDR. Might be a bit more than I want to spend just to eat escargot. But nice to know there is an option.

Just wondering if anyone on a June sailing has had escargot on the menu in the MDR? We are sailing in November on Reflection and really look forward to escargot on our cruise.

Thanks!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...On Reflection this month (June 7th-June 17th, 2013), the crab stuffed mushrooms were on the everyday menu in MDR. They were yummy, but I really, really would like to have both the escargot and the mushrooms - a combination plate would be ideal!!!:p

News reports as far back as 2008 discussed the shortage

The shortage seems to victimize cruise ships more than land based eateries.

Plenty of cans of snails at our local super market and even the local brasserie has had them on their regular menu for as long as I can remember.

Escargots Provençale au gratin 5,95

http://lemanoir1.com/menu/regular?lang=en

I made escargot in mushroom caps just this past weekend. This is our favorite way to eat them. I slice cheese and place over them. Yummy :D

I HAVE noticed that the supermarkets are only carrying cans of tiny ones, not the large ones we used to buy. :(

Glenn

~~~~~

Sent using my mobile & Tapatalk

Just off the Infinity's London to London cruise that departed June 3rd. I think we had escargot every night as an option in the MDR.

YES!!!!!! :D :D Back in season finally! I may only have one entire meal of escargot...appy, salad, main course and dessert :p if those precious snails are available on our cruise.

YES!!!!!! :D :D Back in season finally! I may only have one entire meal of escargot...appy, salad, main course and dessert :p if those precious snails are available on our cruise.

Went on a short cruise on another line. Had both escargot and lobster in MDR. So... both are available out there.

Went on a short cruise on another line. Had both escargot and lobster in MDR. So... both are available out there.

While there may be a "shortage", there are plenty still available to the buyers willing to pay for them.

My guess not including snails is a cost cutting thing. While there is in fact a "lobster season" there is no such thing as "snail Season" :p:rolleyes:

Here's a garlicy blast from the past :cool:

2zrguug.jpg