Elite Vouchers? We don't need no stinking vouchers

jeffbook

Elite vouchers were first trialed on the eclipse fall 2012 sailing where there were roughly 800 elites....too many for the sky lounge. They first tried giving each elite two drink vouchers for use that night (dated and good from 5-7), but quickly increased that to three coupons each night. Vouchers were good in any bar other than the martini bar, molecular bar and maybe another one. After the cruise, Celebrity decided that the trial worked and that they would use vouchers on any cruise where the number of elites was too large for the available venues.....essentially for cruises with over 600 elites.

It does work and unlike the elite cocktail event, you can take a drink or wine out of the venue into the dining room if you want.

Elite vouchers were first trialed on the eclipse fall 2012 sailing where there were roughly 800 elites....too many for the sky lounge. They first tried giving each elite two drink vouchers for use that night (dated and good from 5-7), but quickly increased that to three coupons each night. Vouchers were good in any bar other than the martini bar, molecular bar and maybe another one. After the cruise, Celebrity decided that the trial worked and that they would use vouchers on any cruise where the number of elites was too large for the available venues.....essentially for cruises with over 600 elites.

It does work and unlike the elite cocktail event, you can take a drink or wine out of the venue into the dining room if you want.

Wasn't the first ship with the vouchers the Reflection on its inaugural transatlantic last year?

Wasn't the first ship with the vouchers the Reflection on its inaugural transatlantic last year?

Eclipse transatlantic came earlier than Reflection.

I believe that Eclipse consistently had more elites on board as well in the Caribbean during the winter.. many voucher cruises.

Vouchers? OK with me.

Cocktail party? OK with me.

I appreciate the reward for my loyalty however X delivers such. As the cocktail lounge can get crowded, I'd probably rather have vouchers. That would allow me to enjoy various venues. And carrying a glass to dinner or back to my cabin sounds appealing, too.

We're on Eclipse now & have the vouchers. We love them because we aren't stuck trying to get service in a very busy Michael's Club. The last two nights we have had our drinks with our feet in the pool :)

We had the vouchers on our 14 night Eclipse the end of Jan, and we liked it. We would have a couple drinks, then would get unopened cans of coke for later that evening, or the next day for lunch. Worked well for us! I think it is a great way to go when there are way to many Elites to use Michaels lounge. If it wasn't done this way, it would be total confusion with that many people trying to get a drink in the 2 hr. timeframe. We could use them almost any bar around the ship. We went to the sky bar many times.

We had a lot of elites in the Skylounge on the Solstice on the Queensland cruise, but we enjoyed the social side, despite the crowds. Where else do you meet people you have something in common with. Alas the world is becoming a bunch of automatons, with IPODS and buds in the ear NO social exchange.

We had a lot of elites in the Skylounge on the Solstice on the Queensland cruise, but we enjoyed the social side, despite the crowds. Where else do you meet people you have something in common with. Alas the world is becoming a bunch of automatons, with IPODS and buds in the ear NO social exchange.

Gee. Thanks.

Had I discovered Cruise Critic before our first cruise, comments like that would have given me cause to reconsider.

We're on Eclipse now & have the vouchers. We love them because we aren't stuck trying to get service in a very busy Michael's Club. The last two nights we have had our drinks with our feet in the pool :)

Hi Janinie,:) hope you are having a good cruise and when you get

across the pond, say hi to Elaine and Derek for me too:D

When did vouchers start to replace the Elite evening cocktails on some ships/cruises?

This is what I get for not cruising since our Canadian fiasco on Summit last Sept-Oct.

We loved the vouchers and would love to see them stay in place!

Judy

We loved the vouchers and would love to see them stay in place!

Judy

I agree! On my December 2012 TA cruise, we got our 3 vouchers every evening in our cabin and we would use them in the martini bar. We had the same server who took care of our drink orders. Anytime we walked into the martini bar area, he would see us and quickly find a spot for us to sit. I usually used the 3rd coupon for a glass of wine to take to dinner. This voucher format worked so much better than trying to get even just one drink up in the observation sky lounge when there were hundreds of other elite members.

Monica

We are on the Infinity TA leaving May 1st and received an email yesterday from Celebrity that because of the amount of Elites on our cruise, we will have vouchers for the cocktail hours. We have not had the Elite cocktail hour at Michaels Club for at least the last 3 cruises we have been on. Seems to me, the Sky Lounges should be able to handle Elites. Most likely a way for Celebrity to cut some costs....no staff to handle the appetizers or drinks. We'll see how it goes on this cruise as it will be our first with vouchers...:confused:

We are on the Infinity TA leaving May 1st and received an email yesterday from Celebrity that because of the amount of Elites on our cruise, we will have vouchers for the cocktail hours. We have not had the Elite cocktail hour at Michaels Club for at least the last 3 cruises we have been on. Seems to me, the Sky Lounges should be able to handle Elites. Most likely a way for Celebrity to cut some costs....no staff to handle the appetizers or drinks. We'll see how it goes on this cruise as it will be our first with vouchers...:confused:

If you've bee reading these before, you might realize that the Sky Lounges just really can't handle 800 or more elites. It's like going to Disneyland, standing in line to get in at opening. As good as the servers are, they just just really can't handle it, at least until the first seating leaves. On our last transAtlantic, we often waited until then--or wouldn't find a place to sit. Yes, they tried to ease it by sending those with more points/days/status to Michaels, but that was jammed, too.

We're holding approval/disapproval until after the next cruise next month.

Don't forget that they've taken almost half the sky lounge and turned it into the fun factory. There really isn't room for huge groups up there any more. I expect that the connections party will be very crowded.

I've never experienced the voucher system before, but am looking forward to giving it a try on the TA.

While we are not quite (yet) Elite on Celebrity, reading this thread about drink vouchers totally increased my interest in obtaining that goal.

I think this is a terrific perk (even more than the Elite happy hour), especially in comparison to some other cruise lines.

Don't forget that they've taken almost half the sky lounge and turned it into the fun factory. There really isn't room for huge groups up there any more. I expect that the connections party will be very crowded.

I've never experienced the voucher system before, but am looking forward to giving it a try on the TA.

Linda:

(OT) Please post here with all things Infinity when you return? :):):)

Thanks in advance!!

Seems to me that when there are just too many Elite members ,like on TAs ,the voucher system is best . My DW would enjoy one glass of wine & I like my scotch . The other 2 vouchers each ,we would get sodas for the next day & leave them in our state room .This all works for us:p:D

We would also prefer vouchers as they are much more flexible. On Med cruises times of excursions etc means one can not always be changed for dinner in between 5 pm and 7pm. A voucher to use as you get back on board in the bar of your choice is a massive plus to us.

However we have only just reached Elite and therefore have not experienced an Elite evening and might change our minds if this is available on the Reflections this summer. As we have a very, very, quiet roll call this is likely to be the case.

Archived