Free Stuff to do at Key West

kramonas

We did most of this--except the cemetery--when we were there in January. I will say that trying to peak into the Hemingway estate isn't the easiest thing to do, and the ticket booth is pretty much right at the gate. We did pay to go in (the only non-shopping thing we paid for), and it was interesting, but the cats were definitely the highlight.

I'l be in Key West in May. I like to do walking tours so these are great suggestions.

I heard that a vendor in KW sells key lime pie on a stick dipped in dark chocolate. I sure would like to find that place. Has anyone seen it?

Nice thread:). We booked the fascination for November...just because it goes to key west! Did the Hemingway house last time and thinking about the Truman White House...has anyone done this..is it worth it or should we go back to the HH....loved the kitties there:)

I'l be in Key West in May. I like to do walking tours so these are great suggestions.

I heard that a vendor in KW sells key lime pie on a stick dipped in dark chocolate. I sure would like to find that place. Has anyone seen it?

That would be Kermit's. Best key lime pie you'll ever had, and this coming from a guy who doesn't like key lime pie, but the stuff on a stick is excellent.

4) Walk all the way to the end of Whitehead. you are at the "Southernmost Point of the US". Take Pictures.

Southern most point in the continental U.S. you mean. Hawaii is much further south, but Floridians tend to forget that. :p:D

I hope to get to Key West someday. I've always wanted to go there but have not made it yet. I enjoyed reading the things to do list above.

I love Key West. It gets a bum rap at times but it's a great place. Plenty of friendly folks. Two years go we decided to rent a home for the week in the Truman Annex and it has now become a yearly vacation for us. We will be back in October leaving just before Fantasy Fest gets under way. I do suggest getting there at some point. Unfortunately a few hours by cruise ship does not do Key West justice. :)

I love Key West. It gets a bum rap at times but it's a great place. Plenty of friendly folks. Two years go we decided to rent a home for the week in the Truman Annex and it has now become a yearly vacation for us. We will be back in October leaving just before Fantasy Fest gets under way. I do suggest getting there at some point. Unfortunately a few hours by cruise ship does not do Key West justice. :)

I think that I may have to google that.:) I can only imagine...:D

oops...

Im going on a carnival cruise the week after the Oasis, which Does stop there.

I thought i was on the carnival board...

arrg. ill leave it anyway, im sure something stops there...

If it's as it used to be, Carnival doesn't dock in the same place. You'll need to shuttle out of the port on a trolley/tram of some sort. RCI always had the good pier.

Gina

So Bahama Village is a "slum" area? Sorry, but I think that's a pretty crappy way to describe it. In no way, shape or form is it a slum. There are a few public housing buildings, converted from old military barracks, but the entirety of Key West is far safer than most Caribbean islands. And another thing I need to correct you on is there is plenty to see west of Whitehead. One of which is the USCGC Ingahm museum. The walk through Truman Annex is beautiful and Fort Zachary Taylor state park has the best beach in Key West, not to mention a civil war era fort to explore.

And by the way, Carnival docks at either the Outer Mole or the Westin dock (Pier B), not Mallory Square.

Here's more "free stuff" to do in Key West.

1. Go to the Crown Plaza (La Concha) hotel on Duval. Take the elevator up to the roof top balcony and enjoy the incredible view of Key West.

2. Walk along the Schooner Wharf pier and enjoy the many photo ops of tall ships, charter fishing boats and private yachts.

3. Go to the picturesque and quirky Key West cemetery.

4. Enjoy the free Eco-Discovery museum which has exhibits displaying Florida Keys coastal animal,fish and plant life.

5. Walk the length of Duval and visit shops and galleries along the way. Walk back on Whitehead. You will see the Key West Light House (but you must pay to tour it) and you will see Hemingway's home but you will have to pay to get in.

6. Pose for photos by the unusual statues outside the front, side and back of the Customs House Museum.

Of course Key West does welcome your money. There are plenty of good spots to eat, many exist only in Key West and no place else. At least try a chocolate-covered Key Lime pie slice.

I think that I may have to google that.:) I can only imagine...:D

Ask Paul (Aquahound) about it. :) being a local, I'm sure that he has some stories to tell.

I cannot confirm nor deny any Fantasy Fest involvement. ;)

It's something you just have to experience for yourself. But yeah, Google is a good start. :D

So Bahama Village is a "slum" area? Sorry, but I think that's a pretty crappy way to describe it. In no way, shape or form is it a slum. There are a few public housing buildings, converted from old military barracks, but the entirety of Key West is far safer than most Caribbean islands. And another thing I need to correct you on is there is plenty to see west of Whitehead. One of which is the USCGC Ingahm museum. The walk through Truman Annex is beautiful andT Fort Zachary aylor state park has the best beach in Key West, not to mention a civil war era fort to explore.

And by the way, Carnival docks at either the Outer Mole or the Westin dock (Pier B), not Mallory Square.

While I totally agree with what you say, there is a daily fee to enter wonderful Fort Zachary Taylor State Historic Park. The fee is cheaper if one walks in. I mention the fee only because this post was about "free stuff" to do in Key West. That said, I certainly think the fee is money well spent.

So Bahama Village is a "slum" area? Sorry, but I think that's a pretty crappy way to describe it. In no way, shape or form is it a slum. There are a few public housing buildings, converted from old military barracks, but the entirety of Key West is far safer than most Caribbean islands. And another thing I need to correct you on is there is plenty to see west of Whitehead (Whitehead is west of Duval, not east of Duval). One of which is the USCGC Ingahm museum. The walk through Truman Annex is beautiful and Fort Zachary Taylor state park has the best beach in Key West, not to mention a civil war era fort to explore.

I agree with Paul.

There is too much erroneous information in the first post to address.

If one were to turn right onto Fleming from Duval to go to Whitehead you would meet a lot of oncoming traffic since it is one way.

And since Truman, Eaton and Simonton are not main streets I won't even go there.;)

Mike:)

This is meant to be WALKED not driven, not too many places to rent cars at the port, and im sure most cruise passengers wouldn't rent a car for the 4-5 hours that the ship is there...

there are sidewalks on BOTH sides of Fleming, so its perfectly safe to walk the short block to whitehead.

There is a big difference between a "Safe" area and an area that is "PERCEIVED" as not safe.

I am sure most areas west of whitehead are "safe", but it is far from "Perceived" as safe for tourists.

Im sure if you live there, your perspective is different, but for a visitor, Key west has ALOT of work to do to make their "PERCEIVED" image west of whitehead better.

• 2 months later...