Elite Drink Vouchers: vs Cocktail Party: Pick One

City_Woman

Elite Cocktail: Vouchers or Party ....PICK ONE  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Elite Cocktail: Vouchers or Party ....PICK ONE

• I love the vouchers. Get rid of the party.
    • I love the party. Get rid of the vouchers.

You make a good point. You're probably right to a certain extent.

It's not the free drinks for us. It's vacation and a cocktail party is a nice way to mingle and meet people eveyday in a social setting. Give passengers a choice. The unsocial types can get the vouchers! :D

Pssst...people socialize in lounges all over the ship, not just at the elite cocktail party. Nothing inherently unsocial about the voucher option....In fact, since the voucher people are able to socialize with all sorts of other people all over the ship, so maybe the unsocial types are the ones favoring walling themselves off at an elite party:D

Pssst...people socialize in lounges all over the ship, not just at the elite cocktail party. Nothing inherently unsocial about the voucher option....In fact, since the voucher people are able to socialize with all sorts of other people all over the ship, so maybe the unsocial types are the ones favoring walling themselves off at an elite party:D

PSSSST, that's your opinion.

For those who say we can "socialize" at any lounge...

There is a HUGE difference between the Elite social lounge and any other lounge on the ship... at least for people who don't travel "as a couple". I travel with my elderly mother and believe me when I say, couples don't offer us chairs at their table, or ask to sit with us, or strike up conversation from table to table. At the social hour thing the opposite is true... we can always seem to strike up conversations that just don't happen in any other lounge/bar on the ship.

And I do travel with my husband... the difference in the "friendliness" of other couples just confirms my experience.

Yes, it is just my opinion, and the previous "unsocial type" post is just your opinion:rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, are you Elite with Celebrity? From your first post here on CC in July 2011, you've only participated in three roll calls. Two of which were on Royal Caribbean. There are many things in life where people are recognized and saluted for there loyalty. Just because Celebrity has their Elite Cocktail gatherings in one of the lounges, doesn't necessarily mean one or all of us Elite Captain's Club members feel like elitists. If you're not Elite yet, maybe one day you will be and you might understand what I talking about.

There is a HUGE difference between the Elite social lounge and any other lounge on the ship... at least for people who don't travel "as a couple". I travel with my elderly mother and believe me when I say, couples don't offer us chairs at their table, or ask to sit with us, or strike up conversation from table to table. At the social hour thing the opposite is true... we can always seem to strike up conversations that just don't happen in any other lounge/bar on the ship.

And I do travel with my husband... the difference in the "friendliness" of other couples just confirms my experience.

During the coctail hour, the lounge is usually crowded. Of the couples we usually travel with, the men will always give up their seat to a woman or the elderly. You are right, most of the time it is not like that in the other lounges.

SDT

?..

BTW, I am Elite. I will be happy with whatever X gives us on Soltice in two weeks

Just out of curiosity, are you Elite with Celebrity? From your first post here on CC in July 2011, you've only participated in three roll calls. Two of which were on Royal Caribbean. There are many things in life where people are recognized and saluted for there loyalty. Just because Celebrity has their Elite Cocktail gatherings in one of the lounges, doesn't necessarily mean one or all of us Elite Captain's Club members feel like elitists. If you're not Elite yet, maybe one day you will be and you might understand what I talking about.

As mentioned earlier in this very thread, yes, I am elite. I have been since 2010. It is, after all, very easy to make Elite on X. X was the second line of five lines I sailed; it was the first line I reached the top level of the loyalty program. It only take about 4-5 cruises. Please do not lecture me; doing so is "unsocial."

Did you really review all my posts? If so, you did a suboptimal job of it; I have certainly been on more than three roll calls:rolleyes: Or did you just look at the last five months?:rolleyes:

I couldn't agree with you more. A few cruises back, my husband took a nasty fall in the dining room and was literally knocked unconscious. He was rushed to the medical facility, had an X-ray, got stitches and was put on antibiotics. Needless to say, he was not in much if a party mood for the remainder of the cruise.

He encouraged me to go the lounge every evening solo and I had a blast chatting it up with some great people.

Both my partner and I are elite members and absolutely love the party. We find it a great way to start the evening enjoying nibbles and drinks, meeting other people and getting to know the regular staff at the event. We would be very disappointed if Celebrity moved to the voucher system

Apparently the Elite only want to socialize with Elite. But you are so right. We went on Celebrity for the first time last year and the Sunset Bar became our home during the late morning/afternoon on sea days. We met others there the first time we went...and we socialized! Every day (even on port days in the afternoons) we went there and it was like we had come aboard as one big group and were all friends. We had a really great time!

Apparently the Elite only want to socialize with Elite. But you are so right. We went on Celebrity for the first time last year and the Sunset Bar became our home during the late morning/afternoon on sea days. We met others there the first time we went...and we socialized! Every day (even on port days in the afternoons) we went there and it was like we had come aboard as one big group and were all friends. We had a really great time!

Though others may give you that impression, rest assured that it is not universal. I am Elite and do not want to only socialize with other Elites. Your time at the sunset bar sounds delightful.

I liked the vouchers, being on late sitting I could use the vouchers around the pool without having to get dressed up to go to the sky lounge. On previous cruises without the vouchers I never went to the elite drinks lounge as it was too early.

Why do they have to have vouchers?

It says on our SeaPass Cards that we are Elite. We should be able to get the drinks at any bar/lounge from 5-7 that we would get in the Elite Lounge. They just need to have the list at each bar so the bartenders would know what is allowed.

Why do they have to have vouchers?

It says on our SeaPass Cards that we are Elite. We should be able to get the drinks at any bar/lounge from 5-7 that we would get in the Elite Lounge. They just need to have the list at each bar so the bartenders would know what is allowed.

Well done Sir! - I shake your hand - A most sensible, and probably the best, suggestion yet! - I will pass your post to my to my contacts in RCL - But I have no doubt they have already read this!! - Hi Sarah!

The problem I see with using the "Elite" on your sea pass card instead of a voucher is that your cabin mate may not be Elite. They will still need vouchers for that person as your cabin number isn't on your card. Vouchers also limit the number of drinks you can get... imagine how many drinks a couple of dishonest Elite passengers could get for their friends in two hours by trolling the bars. LOL The vouchers limit who gets them, and how many drinks are "free".

The problem I see with using the "Elite" on your sea pass card instead of a voucher is that your cabin mate may not be Elite. They will still need vouchers for that person as your cabin number isn't on your card. Vouchers also limit the number of drinks you can get... imagine how many drinks a couple of dishonest Elite passengers could get for their friends in two hours by trolling the bars. LOL The vouchers limit who gets them, and how many drinks are "free".

You make a fair point - But have no doubt CC could put software into the key card to limit the number of drinks. Let us suggest 1 drink for an Elite without any CC history/tier points or days. Then increasing the number of drinks up to say 6 for an Elite Gold [new tier] with a full compliment of cruise credits/days - The sea pass could then be used in the Lounge, or in any ship bar -

However, one thought Elite perks were for Elite members.

Could it be suggested that a non-Elite cabin mate receiving and using Elite vouchers is not 100% correct?

You make a fair point - But have no doubt CC could put software into the key card to limit the number of drinks. Let us suggest 1 drink for an Elite without any CC history/tier points or days. Then increasing the number of drinks up to say 6 for an Elite Gold [new tier] with a full compliment of cruise credits/days - The sea pass could then be used in the Lounge, or in any ship bar -

However, one thought Elite perks were for Elite members.

Could it be suggested that a non-Elite cabin mate receiving and using Elite vouchers is not 100% correct?

If non-Elite cabinmates are allowed accompany their cabinmate in the Elite party for drinks, does it not make sense that non-Elite cabinmates receive vouchers so they may accompany their cabinmate in a bar for drinks? That seems internally consistent...not I have come that expect consistency;)

I recently sailed. I looked forward to the daily Captains Club morning lounge and afternoon cocktail party. I rarely drink. I do enjoy gathering in a separate place with people who enjoy Celebrity cruises. It is also nice getting to know the Club rep.

I can't speak for anyone else but your statement about only socializing with Elites couldn't be further from the truth.

The reason I like the Elite lounge is because I find that people who attend tend to be very sociable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying first time cruisers aren't friendly, it's the fact that you meet up with the same people at the same time which fosters friendships.

Though others may give you that impression, rest assured that it is not universal. I am Elite and do not want to only socialize with other Elites. Your time at the sunset bar sounds delightful.

As wonderful as the Internet is, there are always people like you that prove it produces an unpleasant side effect. That's people that feel they can say whatever they want, no matter if it's true or not. NOWHERE in this entire thread has anyone said or implied they only wanted to socialize with other Elite members. Saying something in cyberspace does not make it true.

And just in case you were wondering, I did read every fifth page of your almost 3000 posts. Each page encompassed approx. 2 months of posts.

SDT

As wonderful as the Internet is, there are always people like you that prove it produces an unpleasant side effect. That's people that feel they can say whatever they want, no matter if it's true or not. NOWHERE in this entire thread has anyone said or implied they only wanted to socialize with other Elite members. Saying something in cyberspace does not make it true.

And just in case you were wondering, I did read every fifth page of your almost 3000 posts. Each page encompassed approx. 2 months of posts.

SDT

Hmmm, SDT, aren't you the one who called people who disagreed with you about a vouchers "unsocial types?" Is THAT something really something you would say in person? If so, I am sad for you. If not, then perhaps you yourself might be an internet "unpleasant side effect" (your words, not mine, and very unkind words at that...again)? Though it may hurt, maybe it is time for a long hard look in a mirror. And please stop the personal attacks...you do not know me no matter how much time you waste reading old posts.

And I did not say that Elites only want to socialize with Elites. Nor do I wish anybody to think that of Elites. Still a side effect of X calling us "Elite" and then giving us exclusive access to a premium venue at a premium time is that some onlookers see us as off-putting elitists. Postings that imply that socializing with other Elites is superior to socializing with non-Elites further that impression. And, whether you like it or not, that impression was made on at least one non-Elite CC member. Perhaps that is part of the reason the voucher are leading 2:1.

What is wrong with Elites wanting to socialize with other Elites anyway?

Since this is still considered a democracy, I understand that if one wishes one may socialize with whomever one chooses whether another person likes it or not!

There shld be no nasty comments regarding same either as that does not say anything positive about the poster...

Ones choices are an individuals and shld be respected as such!

Besides, this thread is all about choosing between 'vouchers & parties' not social personal preference!

I would like to apologize for making the comment that apparently Elite only want to socialize with Elite...I didn't quite mean it the way it seemed to come out. So - anyways, enjoy your parties and beverages!

If non-Elite cabinmates are allowed accompany their cabinmate in the Elite party for drinks, does it not make sense that non-Elite cabinmates receive vouchers so they may accompany their cabinmate in a bar for drinks? That seems internally consistent...not I have come that expect consistency;)

Sir, you are consistent in your thoughts and deeds, being that it is okay to accept something to which one may not be correctly entitiled. For my part I would decline, as one with a conscience would not feel comfortable.

You and me have a difference of opinion, which is encouraged by these threads to be aired in a full and fair discussion.

I hope you and the friend enjoy the drinks.

Archived