If not Celebrity . . then what cruise line?

irishayes

Husband and I are in the planning stages of a Med cruise for September, 2014. We are not finding what we want with Celebrity, so I'm wondering what would be the next best choice? We've done NCL once . . never again. But I'm wondering about RCCL or HAL.

We would like a cruise which visits some of the French Riviera, Venice, and some of the Greek Isles. Not finding that, so I'm thinking maybe 2 separate B2B's; however, Celebrity doesn't have any 7 day cruises in the Med. 10 days is the shortest, and we can't do 20 days of cruising--14 is probably our max.

So I'm looking at other cruise lines because they have 7-night cruises to Western and Eastern Med. Breaks my heart because I'm sold on Celebrity.

So opinions on cruise lines as good as Celebrity?

Husband and I are in the planning stages of a Med cruise for September, 2014. We are not finding what we want with Celebrity, so I'm wondering what would be the next best choice? But I'm wondering about RCCL or HAL.

I think either HAL or RCCL would be fine choices..

Irishayes,

Visiting the French Riviera and Venice is doable; Visiting Vencie and Greek islands is also doable.

But going from the Western to Eastern Med with the Venice in the middle cannot be done in fourteen days.

Did a Western 10 cruise out of Barcelona, did a 11 day Eastern Med out of Rome. Each had only 2 sea days.

I suggest you look at Azamara. They have 7 day cruises throughout the Med. It is a little more than Celebrity but they include almost everything and give a discount on B2B. but I think you will have to pick two out of the three areas you want to visit.

Have a wonderful time planning your next cruise in Europe.

Try to find a Princess cruise that starts in one port and ends in another: Barcelona to Venice is a great itinerary or reverse. Balcony cabins are just a little smaller, but you won't be on ship much. Entertainment is great, food is fine with buffet set up in stations similar to the S class ships. Pricing is very fair.

our "step up" cruise line is oceania.....Despite it's faults, Celebrity is probably the best of RCL, Princess, HAL, Celebrity. We haven't tried azamara....just don't have faith that RCL corporation has their financial heart in better food quality, etc.

What was it that you did not like about NCL?

Well, I did not think the food was up to the level of Celebrity. But to be fair, what we hated about the rest of the cruise, was probably our own fault. We went on a Spring Break cruise out of Miami, because our youngest daughter had her college spring break that week and we wanted to take her.

It was the nastiest group of 20-somethings I've ever had the displeasure of being around. We heard after the fact that NCL sold unlimited drink packages to a couple of colleges and it resulted in the most unbelievable, disgusting behavior I've ever seen. Even our 19 y.o. daughter by the end of the cruise was saying "I hate people."

We wrote a letter to NCL, but they really didn't want to hear our complaints.

You didn't mention your Captain's Club level on Celebrity. That can make a difference. If by chance you are elite, then you would get crossover status of Diamond on Royal. Not sure of the lower levels, but something to check out before you decide.

I would look at Azamara...until the end of April they have a good promotion going on. We were celebrity loyalists, but loved Azamara and are sailing in Europe again with them this summer. The food is definitely superior, service very warm, great ports and longer stays. The rooms are smaller, as are the balconies.

our "step up" cruise line is oceania.....Despite it's faults, Celebrity is probably the best of RCL, Princess, HAL, Celebrity. We haven't tried azamara....just don't have faith that RCL corporation has their financial heart in better food quality, etc.

We are Celebrity loyalists, but LOVE Azamara. They food is incredible, especially in the specialty restaurants, which are free with Suites and the crew is even better than Celebrity, hard to believe, but true.

Try to find a Princess cruise that starts in one port and ends in another: Barcelona to Venice is a great itinerary or reverse. Balcony cabins are just a little smaller, but you won't be on ship much. Entertainment is great, food is fine with buffet set up in stations similar to the S class ships. Pricing is very fair.

Very good advice;);)

IMO European cruises are more about the itinerary than the cruise line. I would use an online cruise search engine to find itineraries that meet my criteria then i would research the cruise line and ship.

I encountered the college drink package spring break deal on NCL more than 10 years ago, I had no idea they still did it:eek: I do avoid spring break on all cruise lines these days, makes for a more relaxing cruise.

Husband and I are in the planning stages of a Med cruise for September, 2014. We are not finding what we want with Celebrity, so I'm wondering what would be the next best choice? We've done NCL once . . never again. But I'm wondering about RCCL or HAL.

We would like a cruise which visits some of the French Riviera, Venice, and some of the Greek Isles. Not finding that, so I'm thinking maybe 2 separate B2B's; however, Celebrity doesn't have any 7 day cruises in the Med. 10 days is the shortest, and we can't do 20 days of cruising--14 is probably our max.

So I'm looking at other cruise lines because they have 7-night cruises to Western and Eastern Med. Breaks my heart because I'm sold on Celebrity.

HAL has very interesting itineraries . Check out their web site . Celebrity & HAL are close in many respects . Royal Caribbean is not like Celebrity ;although they own Celebrity .;)

You no doubt need to 1st find a itinerary you like & then read the past passenger reviews of that ship here on cruise critic,:)

Cliff

So opinions on cruise lines as good as Celebrity?[/quote

Maybe the new "Royal Princess" might be a good alternative. From what has been released so far it looks like it is going to be quite a spectacular ship.

So opinions on cruise lines as good as Celebrity?[/quote

Maybe the new "Royal Princess" might be a good alternative. From what has been released so far it looks like it is going to be quite a spectacular ship.

Depends on her itineraries for these folks . One ship can't do all itineraries at one time . HAL seems to have the most interesting itineraries. We often comment to ourselves that if X copied HALs itineraries they would be just Perfect :p:D:p

cruise line word association:

NCL - colorful, freestyle, cool, modern, nickle and diming

HAL - elegant, old school, 1971, itineraries

Carnival - overcrowded, ersatz, gaudy, party, youth, suburban, lively

Celebrity- ?

I'm crossing my fingers that I will become a Celebrity convert come August..

Took Crown Princess on a 7 day cruise in February. As an Elite on Celebrity, I prefer X, but I found the ship to be very comparable in terms of food, passenger demographics, activities, etc. Would not hesitate to choose Princess again if price and itinerary were acceptable- especially in a mini-suite which is a room category X doesn't offer (bigger room and not that much more costly).

Well, I did not think the food was up to the level of Celebrity. But to be fair, what we hated about the rest of the cruise, was probably our own fault. We went on a Spring Break cruise out of Miami, because our youngest daughter had her college spring break that week and we wanted to take her.

It was the nastiest group of 20-somethings I've ever had the displeasure of being around. We heard after the fact that NCL sold unlimited drink packages to a couple of colleges and it resulted in the most unbelievable, disgusting behavior I've ever seen. Even our 19 y.o. daughter by the end of the cruise was saying "I hate people."

We wrote a letter to NCL, but they really didn't want to hear our complaints.

I really hate you had a bad experience with NCL because honestly, I'd recommend them to ANYONE! The two NCL cruises I've been on surpass any cruise I've done to date. The last aboard the Star out of NO was the best ever. The staff onboard is seriously interested in your cruising experience. NCL is my first choice if itinerary is available.

Oceania has some great Med cruises. We did one Barcelona to Rome visiting southern and western Italy. Another cruise was Athens to Istanbul - Greece, Egypt, Israel and Turkey. We like the open seating - no need to rush to dinner. There is not a lot of entertainment options like the larger ships - but we were so busy visiting ports we did not have many late nights on the ship.

Celebrity is our favorite cruise line. That said, we did a 14 night med cruise on NCL and it was fantastic. We had a Penthouse suite (basically a very big balcony cabin). Cruise started in Barcelona and ended in Southhamptom. Barcelona is fantastic, proably the best port we visited on the cruise. We spent two days precruise in Barcelona. Just my opinion, but with the cost of airfare and precruise hotel, I would not consider a 7-night Med cruise. But I understand the some people have time limitatioins. Food on NCl is not quite as good as Celebrity but NCL has many alternative restaurants which are very reasonable and very good. Also, with the Penthouse suite, we were able to eat breakfast and lunch in a private dining room and the food was fantastic.

Archived