Maasdam and Veendam Canada Sept. 2013 price difference

marycang

The Veendam sails BOS to Quebec for $2099, the Maasdam sails BOS to Montreal for $2939 both are 7days. Why would the Maasdam be over $800. more than the Veendam for the same category.

Because the Maasdam is a nicer ship, in better condition.

Both the Maasdam and Veendam started life pretty much identical. As a matter of fact, the Veendam is younger than her identical sister.

But over the years the Veendam had some drastic changes made to her which did her no good, and did do some harm. The aft pool was removed, and replaced with a couple of Retreats.

The first one was not only a failure for what it was supposed to do, it also leaked terribly. As a result, the lovely overhead lights in the dining room are now held in by netting so they don't fall on the diners, or their food! :eek:

The fact that it's harder to fly in/out of Quebec City than Montreal could have an impact, too.

Given the choice of the two ships on an almost identical itinerary, I chose the Maasdam for this summer.

Because the Maasdam is a nicer ship, in better condition.

Both the Maasdam and Veendam started life pretty much identical. As a matter of fact, the Veendam is younger than her identical sister.

But over the years the Veendam had some drastic changes made to her which did her no good, and did do some harm. The aft pool was removed, and replaced with a couple of Retreats.

The first one was not only a failure for what it was supposed to do, it also leaked terribly. As a result, the lovely overhead lights in the dining room are now held in by netting so they don't fall on the diners, or their food! :eek:

The fact that it's harder to fly in/out of Quebec City than Montreal could have an impact, too.

Given the choice of the two ships on an almost identical itinerary, I chose the Maasdam for this summer.

Netting?! Is there a sign "Watch for Falling Fixtures"? Omg I never knew this!

I have monitored the Veendam and Maasdam June 15 cruise pricing for the past 10 months. For this specific date, the prices were closely mirrored b/w the 2 ships, though Maasdam appears to be selling out in some categories while Veendam still has most available as of today. It's all about supply and demand, and I believe the initial pricing for both were essentially the same. I actually booked on Maasdam first before switching to Veendam due the slight itinerary difference - cruising St. Lawrence river to Montreal vs. Sanguenay Fjord.

For various reasons mentioned above, the Montreal itinerary/Maasdam is likely more popular.

As much as I would enjoy overnighting in Quebec City and loving the idea of lower price cruise, I would not sail on the Veendam.

We sailed on her 2008 before her refittings and thought then that in a few places the air conditioning was not that good.

Since her refittings, she has had nothing but problems -- air conditioning, plumbing -- not good.

OP -- if you do decide to go on the Veendam, I hope you have a cabin where everything works.

Funny you should mention that. We are boarding the Maasdam on Friday. The supply and demand answer probably is the most important reason, but I'm sure other factors are there as well.

The Maasdam has an unusually loyal following even for Holland America. This will be our tenth cruise on the Maasdam. (Out of 30) She was our first HAL ship. As we were walking down the gangway after that first cruise, we were already juggling the budget trying to figure out how to get back aboard. For us there is no question, we would gladly pay the extra, or move down in stateroom class just to be aboard the beautiful and elegant Maasdam.

We were on board the Maasdam for our first cruise, the copper medalion, and on this Maasdam cruise, the silver medalion. If we live long enough to get to the next level, we will arrange to be aboard her.

We're booked on the Veendam in two weeks. From the looks at the offers out there on HAL's website, there should be some empty cabins left in case anything goes wrong with ours. Outside cabins are $379 per person plus taxes and fees.

We are flying to Singapore for an Asian cruise. Coming from Portland, Oregon the majority and affordable flights arrive at very early hours. We get in at 1:40 AM. What do you suggest as to where we should stay before we can check into our hotel after 1:00 PM? There is a travel hotel at the airport but it appears that is for people who have a long layover before continuing on a connecting flight. We are not sure what to do. All suggestions will be appreciated.

JudeeBradbury

Maasdam is a very popular ship; Veendam, not so much...for the reasons others have mentioned. We've cruised on both and had great cruises on both ships. Ryndam , too.

The Hotel Director for the first portion of our cruise this winter (Ryndam) was on our Veendam cruise last May. On the Ryndam, he told me the lights were being replaced with plastic versions of the beautiful glass Murano lights...on all "S" class ships. On the Ryndam, it appeared they have been replaced already. Don't know about Veendam or Maasdam...or Statendam for that matter.

We are flying to Singapore for an Asian cruise. Coming from Portland, Oregon the majority and affordable flights arrive at very early hours. We get in at 1:40 AM. What do you suggest as to where we should stay before we can check into our hotel after 1:00 PM? There is a travel hotel at the airport but it appears that is for people who have a long layover before continuing on a connecting flight. We are not sure what to do. All suggestions will be appreciated.

JudeeBradbury

When we have had early morning flight arrivals, particularly in Europe, we book our hotel for the day before and advise we will not be checking in until whatever time it will be. If you have paid for the room the day before it is ready and waiting for you and they take you to it immediately upon your arrival at the hotel.

You MUST advise in advance of the odd arrival time so they will not call you a 'no show'. This is a very common thing that people do.

Netting?! Is there a sign "Watch for Falling Fixtures"? Omg I never knew this!

It's not as bad as it would seem. I spent a week on the Veendam this time last year and I made it out of there without any flying light shrapnel:D:eek:.

Uh-oh :( I am going on this exact itinerary (overnight in QC) on the Veendam in June. This will be our first HAL cruise. Will I be disappointed???

As much as I would enjoy overnighting in Quebec City and loving the idea of lower price cruise, I would not sail on the Veendam.

We sailed on her 2008 before her refittings and thought then that in a few places the air conditioning was not that good.

Since her refittings, she has had nothing but problems -- air conditioning, plumbing -- not good.

OP -- if you do decide to go on the Veendam, I hope you have a cabin where everything works.

Uh-oh :( I am going on this exact itinerary (overnight in QC) on the Veendam in June. This will be our first HAL cruise. Will I be disappointed???

That I can't predict.

You may have a cabin that is perfect.

Some people don't mind a ship that is warm in places. We prefer to be cool all the time -- DH more so on formal nights when he wears his tuxedo.

It isn't bad. If we hadn't been sitting at the rail for lunch one day, we'd never have noticed it.

Personally, I like the decor of the Veendam more than the Ryndam or Maasdam. Coral...it's "my" color!

Sheila

Does the Explorations Café / library still have the lighter color wood?

We love that color -- I am not one for dark wood.

That I can't predict.

You may have a cabin that is perfect.

Some people don't mind a ship that is warm in places. We prefer to be cool all the time -- DH more so on formal nights when he wears his tuxedo.

No - I am the type to crank the AC down to 70...

Archived