Full gratuities for children?

Flo71

But what about a neat 14 year old who sleeps on the cabin sofa and always eats with her teen club friends up at the buffet on Lido deck?

so? the server portion of the tips covers the Lido staff as well. they are still using a towel or three that needs to be washed and folded and replaced. the sofa needs to be taken down every morning and then remade every night.

Well, I think they should charge double tips for children.

I think many parents may also agree because the crew really works harder and caters to them and they tip extra because of the attention they were given and sometimes the extra work. I think sometimes the workers would rather have the children as many adults behave worse are are messier than most children.

The bottom line is that it is just a cost of cruising and if you don't want to pay it your choice is to not cruise Celebrity or the other lines which access this charge.

THANK YOU! This is one of the most eloquent descriptions of tipping and why a traveler should not try to avoid tipping staff.

It actually makes me very very sad and disappointed to see all these threads where people are talking about ways to avoid/reduce tipping on ship. For anyone that has actually gotten to know ship staff & a little bit about their lives off ship you know that these tips are the bulk of their salary & they work incredibly hard for it!

THANK YOU! This is one of the most eloquent descriptions of tipping and why a traveler should not try to avoid tipping staff.

It actually makes me very very sad and disappointed to see all these threads where people are talking about ways to avoid/reduce tipping on ship. For anyone that has actually gotten to know ship staff & a little bit about their lives off ship you know that these tips are the bulk of their salary & they work incredibly hard for it!

You are correct.

I am actually a chronic "over-tipper.:o" When I start, or participate in tipping threads, it is usually to try to reign myself in toward some kind of norm.

Having said that, I'm out there trying to save money in every other

possible way.... just not on tipping!

I am always in awe of the humility, grace, kindness and dignity of most of the Celebrity staff/crew. I say, "Tip early and often!!!"

I think that it's important not to forget that contributors to this board come from around the world, so what you view as perfectly normal may well seem quite strange to others. I personally sense that people are asking questions to better understand the process, not to find ways to get out of tipping. (Yes, there are exceptions. :() The OP expressed surprise that a child would be charged the same gratuity as an adult, but I don't recall reading about any attempt or desire on the OP's part to circumvent policy.

As for the staff working hard, I couldn't agree more. Their work ethic would shame many service industry employees.

I think it's appropriate to not tip for children if:

1) they eat all meals, sitting on your lap and sharing your plate, glass of water, dishes...this includes the buffet and ice cream;

2) they sleep in your bed with you and use the same towels as you use;

If both of the above are true, then you have a reasonable case for not tipping. On the other hand, if they aren't true, then they are placing exactly the same workload on the staff as any second/third/fourth person in a cabin.

1) they eat all meals, sitting on your lap and sharing your plate, glass of water, dishes...this includes the buffet and ice cream;

If both of the above are true, then you have a reasonable case for not tipping. On the other hand, if they aren't true, then they are placing exactly the same workload on the staff as any second/third/fourth person in a cabin.

Really?

I wish cruiselines would stop calling these things gratuities and just call them a 'resort fee'!

Kids sail free on NCL is a great deal- I tried to get my sister to come sail with us until we found out the only cabins for 5 available were $$$$ suites. To book two rooms would mean only 1 kid gets to sail free, as they are only free if they are passenger 3+, have to have two full paying passenger in the room first.

Wow, as if I needed another reason not to sail NCL...

If you had kids it be a big draw... :p

But I'm with you, I don't have kids and prefer to limit my cruises to kid under control lines... family lines have there place and my place is not aboard them. :p

3) you carry them everywhere (so that they do not track any dirt onto the carpets) -- surgically implanting a suitcase type handle on their back may prove useful.

I wish cruiselines would stop calling these things gratuities and just call them a 'resort fee'!

Kids sail free on NCL is a great deal- I tried to get my sister to come sail with us until we found out the only cabins for 5 available were $$$$ suites. To book two rooms would mean only 1 kid gets to sail free, as they are only free if they are passenger 3+, have to have two full paying passenger in the room first.

See, the "resort fee" makes me madder than anything else. What I wish they would do is include the gratuities in your cruise fare, and promote is as "All gratuities included".

The "resort fee" is the biggest money grab I've ever seen out of hotels. Whether I want their wi-fi, gym, or whatever else it includes, I must pay for it. Caesars Entertainment, who for years touted "no resort fees", now have switched to it. Why??? More money of course. And what pisses me off the most, is Caesars had the gall, in their press release, to say "Our customers demanded that we provide them with these services". Yeah, right, we demanded that you charge us an extra $25/night for something most of us don't use or need (especially in Vegas). Include it in my room rate, and offer me "Free wi-fi and gym"

Whew, sorry, rant over. Peace and love, peace and love. HEY NOW

Just stop the argument. It's pointless. Just adjust the fares up and eliminate the tips. Many cruise lines are up front about not expecting tips.....and they charge more. If cruise lines had remained with the passing out the envelopes at the end of the cruise and people had tipped well, we would not be discussing this issue. If you get good service, then tip. If you don't get good service, then vacation elsewhere.

I never cruise or go to an establishment that offers "kids" free promotion. I value my sanity.

I am a strong proponent of traveling with my kid, but that said, I agree that I hesitate to attend anything where "kids" or "whomever" is free.

Unfortunately most people value free things at every penny that they pay!

I never cruise or go to an establishment that offers "kids" free promotion. I value my sanity.

They are cruises during off peak vacation time that offer it. Even with the free, I bet still not many kids on the cruise. My sailing with NCL is under that offer, guess I'll see when I get there- but I just don't see too many families taking their vacation between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Kids Sail Free is the only way they can get bodies onto the ship!

They are cruises during off peak vacation time that offer it. Even with the free, I bet still not many kids on the cruise. My sailing with NCL is under that offer, guess I'll see when I get there- but I just don't see too many families taking their vacation between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Kids Sail Free is the only way they can get bodies onto the ship!

Celebrity offered a free drink package, it sure filled the ship :).

I think full tips for children are fair. I also tip quite a bit above and beyond when my children receive extra attention, which so far, has very much been the case. My children do not however make messes in the stateroom. I cleaned hotel rooms in college and taught my children at a young age that overworked, underpaid hotel workers are NOT there to clean up after them, just like their overworked, unpaid mom isn't there to pick up after them at home!

Just stop the argument. It's pointless. Just adjust the fares up and eliminate the tips. Many cruise lines are up front about not expecting tips.....and they charge more. If cruise lines had remained with the passing out the envelopes at the end of the cruise and people had tipped well, we would not be discussing this issue. If you get good service, then tip. If you don't get good service, then vacation elsewhere.

"Many"? How about "a few". All the cruise lines I would ever consider cruising with have similar tipping policies. I can't afford to do the luxury lines with their "all inclusive" (aka: "very expensive") cruises, so those aren't lines I care about.

One of the main reasons many (and this time the word "many" applies) cruise lines have given up on the tipping envelope method is that many people would conveniently "forget" to use them, or would give an insultingly low tip. The current system is just fine, seems to be working well, and the only thing that needs improvement on is educating people that this is the custom of the cruise line, and passengers are expected to abide by them. Just like visitors are expected to abide by the customs of the places they visit. Nothing different about it. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". It amazes me how many people from countries where tipping isn't the norm complain about tipping and try to figure out all the ways they can avoid it, but if I visit their country, I'm an "arrogant American" if I don't follow the local customs while there.

I agree the argument is pointless since there really isn't anything to argue over, but your 'just adjust the fares..' is a bit pointless also since I don't think the CEO's for all the cruise lines are on these forums, and wont all do the same. few Lines include it in their fare...most have gratuities.

And except for a first-time cruiser, or someone coming off a limited cruise experience, all are well aware of these requirements.

And as to the envelopes, we'd be discussing this as much as we are now...there is always a group who take offense anytime there is even an inference they should shell out a few bucks more than the minimum. This Thread is an example of that. And we come up with every excuse in the book including "why should I trip for my kids when they are 1/ the size of me!!" An excuse as lame as all the rest.

Den

I personally sense that people are asking questions to better understand the process, not to find ways to get out of tipping.

Thank you! You were the only person on this whole thread who didn't assume I was trying to circumvent paying the gratuity for my 14 year old!

In fact, I often double the staff gratuity. How come you're the only one here who didn't jump to conclusions?

Archived