Sailing AquaClass for the first time - what should I know?

tuffy0317

Originally Posted by POPDISPLAY viewpost.gif

IMO, not worth the SUBSTANTIAL upcharge from a guaranteed veranda. At the time of my booking, $400pp extra.

We will be cruising AQ on the Silhouette in January - first time AQ. only $200/pp extra over cheapest balcony; and $100/pp extra over CC (which we have cruised before). Friends of ours have cruised AQ before and loved it. So much so that my husband would only go on this cruse if we booked AQ!

Just finished 18 days on the Solstice. We were in Aqua class and ate in

Blu

for the first few days. Then we got sick of it and switched to the MDR for dinners as the food was more interesting and the table mates were much friendlier. Blu has mainly tables for 2 so it is not so social. We used the Persian Gardens once and didn't have the tea or afternoon snacks. So for us Aqua class was not worth the money as all we used it for was breakfast for a few mornings. However it is very quiet if that is what you are looking for.

Yes, if you're looking for social, then the MDR is the right place for you. We like our table for 2 and have no desire to socialize with strangers, so Blu is perfect for us. However, the tables in Blu are close enough together that I have seen many people initiate conversation.

Michael

Originally Posted by POPDISPLAY viewpost.gif

IMO, not worth the SUBSTANTIAL upcharge from a guaranteed veranda. At the time of my booking, $400pp extra.

We will be cruising AQ on the Silhouette in January - first time AQ. only $200/pp extra over cheapest balcony; and $100/pp extra over CC (which we have cruised before). Friends of ours have cruised AQ before and loved it. So much so that my husband would only go on this cruse if we booked AQ!

Now, without experiencing Blu and the other aqua perks, how can you say that it's not worth $400? I think once you have tried Blu, you can give a valuable opinion....but giving one without having even tried it is, shall we say, suspect.....

Now, without experiencing Blu and the other aqua perks, how can you say that it's not worth $400? I think once you have tried Blu, you can give a valuable opinion....but giving one without having even tried it is, shall we say, suspect.....

I think she tried to quote someone else who said it wasn't worth $400 pp, but she's paying $200 pp more. For some reason, the "close quote" command din't work.

This is also our first AQ, but we are elite. Is the Blu breakfast better than elite? We sail in June on Equinox, but really enjoyed the elite bkfst on Infinity last Nov. Does elite still have the mimosas & bloody mary's?

My DH is a real plain meat & vege type, the photos of food in Blu look wonderful, but too "fancy" (ie-tasty) for someone like him? I guess we can always MDR.

Also, AQ and concierge were same price- I thought I was giving up my bottle of "bubbly" and afternoon snacks for Blu, but it seems like I still get them. Is this correct?

Ready to start packing!

This is also our first AQ, but we are elite. Is the Blu breakfast better than elite? We sail in June on Equinox, but really enjoyed the elite bkfst on Infinity last Nov. Does elite still have the mimosas & bloody mary's?

My DH is a real plain meat & vege type, the photos of food in Blu look wonderful, but too "fancy" (ie-tasty) for someone like him? I guess we can always MDR.

Also, AQ and concierge were same price- I thought I was giving up my bottle of "bubbly" and afternoon snacks for Blu, but it seems like I still get them. Is this correct?

Ready to start packing!

The elite breakfast is unchanged...yessto the BM and Mimosa's. The Blu breakfast gives you far more choices including eggs and pancakes, etc. The elite breakfast has better (free) coffee if you get expresso/cappuccino. We generally have breakfast in Blu and then go to the elite breakfast for coffee.

You will have less of a problem finding food your DH likes in Blu then in the MDR. Blu can serve sauces on the side, change vegetables, etc. They have had a salad with Lamb Chops and offered to just make a plate of lamb chops and vegetables. They are very flexible....and there is an everyday menu, similar to the MDR with steak, chicken and fish.

Irrespective of what the web site says (or doesn't say), Aqua Class gets all the perks of Concierge class plus some....so yes, you still get your bottle of bubbly and canapes in the afternoon (or you can request a cheese platter instead).

Ready to start packing!

The 2 breakfasts are like comparing apples to oranges. Breakfast

in Blu is a regular menu...omelets, pancakes, bacon, etc....and in my

opinion, excellent:D. No free booze, if you would like that then the

Elite Breakfast would be where to go.

I had a filet for dinner in Blu and it was excellent......you can

see the menu outside the restaurant and what they are serving

each night for dinner. Maybe you can see if he will be adventurous

and step outside of his comfort zone;)....the food really is delicious.

I would think that the cost difference between an obstructed balcony to a much higher deck unobstructed balcony would, by itself, justify much of that cost, even to an inexperienced cruiser.

I hope so, as that is why I did it. I had no idea what Blu was at the time I booked my first Celebrity cruise, which is in January. The idea of sitting on my balcony and looking at a lifeboat wasn't worth the savings to me. Blu and the other perks are now an added bonus.

Yes, if you're looking for social, then the MDR is the right place for you. We like our table for 2 and have no desire to socialize with strangers, so Blu is perfect for us. However, the tables in Blu are close enough together that I have seen many people initiate conversation.

Michael

We feel the same. We have many opportunities to meet passengers in other areas. Have always had a table for 2 in the MDR because we always ask for select or anytime dining. In Blu if you desire you can converse with the people at the adjacent tables.

I often wonder how many passengers have ever went into restuarant and when asked how many have asked to be seated at a large table full of strangers? :D

We feel the same. We have many opportunities to meet passengers in other areas. Have always had a table for 2 in the MDR because we always ask for select or anytime dining. In Blu if you desire you can converse with the people at the adjacent tables.

I often wonder how many passengers have ever went into restaurant and when asked how many have asked to be seated at a large table full of strangers? :D

Strange question - out of all my/our cruises we have only ever moved table once, and that was from a table of 6. It simply wasn't big enough for us as we like 10 or above. This move was on the Indi of the Seas and was put onto a table for 14 - turned out to the be the BEST table ever !

Dining for 2 just doesn't go right on a ship - we cruise to mix and meet/make new friends, and don't like to be sat like to the 2 that don't mix in whatever dining room you're sat in - just goes against the grain.

Blu is great, however we've just got of the Reflection and we were a group of 12 (in Blu) and they struggled on several nights to accommodate us all at the same time on the same table. However for 9 of the 16 nights they sorted a long table for us all and it was perfect.

Get stuck in we say, spread your wings a little and reach out to meet new people - you never know who you bump in to.

I often wonder how many passengers have ever went into restuarant and when asked how many have asked to be seated at a large table full of strangers? :D

It is a very different thing. Agreed, we would never do that at home, but vacation is different and sometimes you are sitting with those people for 14 days. We always request a large table and traditional dining and we have met some really great people. It is nice meeting up with the same people each night and chatting about your day, etc. Some of the people we have met at supper have ended up keeping in touch with after. We used to always request tables for 2 and now I can't imagine going back, we now request tables for 10!

Sue

We also have done aqua class once. It was nice but would only book aqua over a regular balcony if the price was the same...I would not pay more for it. We like a table for two also and have no problem getting one in MDR select area.

make sure you go to breakfast in Blu - that is really lovely and relaxing, just get there before 9am or you'll miss it.:)

What time does Blu open for breakfast? Do you have to make reservations?

Good morning, we are sailing on the Infinity for the first time in September and in Aqua for the first time. Does anyone know if all the bathrooms in Aqua on the Infinity have been completed renovated? I'm wondering now after reading TxnAquarian note about not all had been renovated on the Summit....thanks for your input! :)

What time does Blu open for breakfast? Do you have to make reservations?

not only don't you have to make reservations in Blu for breakfast or dinner....they don't take them. Just show up....

Archived