Would your cruise have less problems with an American crew?

Gypsywych

You have to be kidding. An American crew would be a disater. How many Americans do you know that think giving good service is a priority. Americans are spoiled and feel they are above doing the type of work on a crusie. They would expect you to wait on them

You have to be kidding. An American crew would be a disater. How many Americans do you know that think giving good service is a priority. Americans are spoiled and feel they are above doing the type of work on a crusie. They would expect you to wait on them

Like!

You've never received good service in a restaurant or hotel here in the states? Americans will give good service, but not for what the crews are paid now;).

The article writes specifically about American officers. It doesn't mention service personnel.

LOVE!

Hence the statement, "Jobs Americans won't do". :)

You've never received good service in a restaurant or hotel here in the states? Americans will give good service, but not for what the crews are paid now;).

And that was the problem with NCLA. They never attempted to attract good help with good wages. Therefore, they ended up with a staffing problem.

I can only imagine they also didn't attempt to improve the on board conditions for the employees, that the foreigners put up with.

I am from coastal Maine where a lot of non-Americans work during the summer tourist season. I remember a restaurant owners saying that American teenagers or college students were lazy and that he would need to hire three American teenager to do the work of one foreign worker.

Not saying I necessarily agree because I was once an American teen who worked two jobs 70-80 hours a week. But working on the ship is a hard life.

All one need do is look at the experience of NCLA.

I was just about to post the same comment.

There is NO WAY an American crew would be better than the foreign crews currently employed by the lines now. There are always a few exceptions, but overall, the reviews of the NCLA crews are horrible when it comes to their overall service, or lack thereof.

I too think there are plenty of Americans who would do a fine job. Unfortunately, it is my understanding that the wages paid to most cruise workers could not sustain an American- our cost of living in the U.S. is just too high. I think there are lazy people everywhere and hard working people everywhere. There are lazy Americans and Americans who would do a great job. There are lazy people from other countries and those who are hard workers. No country has a monopoly on laziness or hard work. Let's not unnecessarily inflate our own egos, but let's also not bash ourselves when it is unwarranted.

Um, I'm not a cruise expert like many here, but when I read that article, it suggested would cruise ships have less issues with American OFFICERS, not an entirely American crew referring to the recent cruise ships issues, not whether or not you were seated on time for ATD or if your soup was hot or not. Or the way I interpreted was akin to, would there be less issues if the ship was managed, or it's operations overseen my US officers. Didn't really see where the article reference an entirely American crew for all onboard services.

This.

The article writes specifically about American officers. It doesn't mention service personnel.

There are a number of American Citizens and others with Green Cards who are officers on cruise lines which we all sail.

They may or may not be American born but they are Americans.

It would be impossible to get American workers to sign a contract and work on a cruise ship. I don't know one American person that could work as hard as some of the crew I've met on the twenty five cruises that I have been on with my family since I got the cruise bug in early 1983. Most people I know like a 9 to 5 job during the weekdays with nights, weekends, and holidays off. If it was possible to find an all American crew the cruise fare would be at least double or triple the cost. Will never happen in my lifetime or whats left of it!

Um, I'm not a cruise expert like many here, but when I read that article, it suggested would cruise ships have less issues with American OFFICERS, not an entirely American crew referring to the recent cruise ships issues, not whether or not you were seated on time for ATD or if your soup was hot or not. Or the way I interpreted was akin to, would there be less issues if the ship was managed, or it's operations overseen my US officers. Didn't really see where the article reference an entirely American crew for all onboard services.

I wonder why someone would think American officers would make a cruise better? On more than a dozen cruises on various cruise lines I've always been impressed by the work the officers do, including the Captain.

Watched a recent news report about a strawberry farmer in California. He stated that half of his crop would rot on the vines because he couldn't find enough Mexicans to pick the fruit. When he hired an occasional American they would show up for work on the first day, stop for there lunch break and never return for the afternoon shift. If Americans picked a basket of strawberries the price would be $10.00 instead of the usual $3.00 of $4.00.

The maritime unions success in obtaining "American level" wages has understandably resulted in the virtual complete demise of American flag shipping. When global competition is on a level playing field, American wages make competition essentially impossible. There are very few industries which can compete in the global economy while paying "American level" wages.

How long has it been since you have seen a camera, a TV set, or virtually any manufactured item small enough to ship, which was made in the US. Even subway cars in New York are made in Canada or, more improbably, Japan - by Kawasaki - who imports iron ore from the Great Lakes ports and West Virginia coal to make the cars and then ship them back to the US. Sure, we have great wages -- for those who can get manufacturing jobs - but we cannot afford to pay many workers those wages.

As the global economy becomes more integrated, American workers will have to work harder, or accept lower pay, to be able to compete with lower expectations of overseas work forces. --- which lower expectations permit we cruisers to so far afford to enjoy the level of service we experience on our cruises.

in a five star restaurant where the staff is properly trained and has education beyond that of a High school diploma? yes.

WDW notwithstanding, the rest of the country? not so much.. at best you may find an individual who has a little personal pride and who may go above or beyond, but nowhere will you find the level of attention to detail that you find on even the most inexpensive mass market cruise lines.

There are a number of American Citizens and others with Green Cards who are officers on cruise lines which we all sail.

They may or may not be American born but they are Americans.

When you say Americans, do you really mean US citizens. I have a fee friends from Peru. They call themselves Americans because they were born and live in South America.

When you say Americans, do you really mean US citizens. I have a fee friends from Peru. They call themselves Americans because they were born and live in South America.

I would call them Peruvians.

Archived