laundry question

OK I am sure this is crazy but going to ask any way.

We are taking a 12 night cruise with 6 people. We can't travel with enough luggage to last the 14 days we would need. So how does everyone handle that?

Do you find a laundry mat? Use the ship services etc...?

We have done a bit of traveling while living here so laundry mats are pretty accessible and easily used while eating etc... but this is our first long cruise and not sure I wan to deal with it.

So what do you do?

Thanks.

You have choices.

As Keith said, some cruise lines have self-service laudramats for passenger use. Price is usually $1 or $2 per load to wash and to dry.

Ships offer laundry service, for a fee. Some will offer a "all that fits in a bag" special for $20 or so.

You can wash things in the sink

You can find a laundramat in port.

We wear outfits (everything but underwear) several times. Underwear can be rinsed out in the sink. You only need half the clothes that you think you need. Most people don't even wear half of what they bring.

When I'm on a cruise I like being pampered. No way I'm going to spend time doing laundry. :eek:

HAL has an "unlimited" laundry package - around $7 per day per cabin. Best deal on the planet. On our recent 19 day cruise we sent laundry out about every 3rd day. Our T's and slacks came back ironed and neatly folded. I have instructed my clothes they won't be getting that kind of treatment at home. :D

Thanks all, we have learned to travel lightly always lol. We travel with one shipped bag on 2 week trips for a family of 5. We will have to wear more than once most things, we always seem to live in hot humid climates so few winter clothes lol.

I have read the NCL Star doesn't have laundry.

Hopefully we can wait until they do a special to get things washed.

Thanks again.

Really don't want to spend my time in port at a laundry mat.

We rent apartments with washer at least any time we can. It is a life saver lol.

Be careful-- Ship washing machines wash on hot and dry on hot. Only send out your sturdiest clothes. Nothing that will shrink or bleed.

You will get a paper bag to send out, it holds an amazing amount of clothes. Take a pix of what's inside just-in-case something goes missing.

When we took a tour of a Carnival ship each bag of laundry was put into a mesh bag and put into a machine that held 100pounds of llaundry. When done the clothes were sent thru a very hot mangle to dry and (kindof) press.

Can you get Febreez at the PX? It's a life saver. If not here's several recipes- just put them into a spray bottle

1 cup fabric softener

1 cup white vinegar

2 cups water

2 cups water

1 cup fabric softener

3 cups water

3 TBS fabric softener

3 TBS rubbing alcohol

2 cups water (warm)

1/4 cup fabric softener

1 TBS baking soda

Be careful-- Ship washing machines wash on hot and dry on hot. Only send out your sturdiest clothes. Nothing that will shrink or bleed.

3 different ships I've done laundry on (2 different cruiselines) and the washers and dryers are just like at our local Laundromat. You can set the temperature to wash/dry at whatever you want.

Or are you referring to the laundry that is sent to the ships laundry to do? I've read that they don't have different temperatures.

I pack for 7 - 10 days (whatever I can get into my carryon). If the ship has self service laundry I'll do that, or send it out if they don't.

I'll wash undies, bras in the sink. Some of my tops are thin/light enough to do in the sink and dry ovenight as well.

Thanks all, we have learned to travel lightly always lol. We travel with one shipped bag on 2 week trips for a family of 5. We will have to wear more than once most things, we always seem to live in hot humid climates so few winter clothes lol.

I have read the NCL Star doesn't have laundry.

Hopefully we can wait until they do a special to get things washed.

Thanks again.

Really don't want to spend my time in port at a laundry mat.

We rent apartments with washer at least any time we can. It is a life saver lol.

None of the NCL ships have self-laundry. However, at least once a week they have an 'all you can stuff in the bag' laundry special for about $20. Those bags hold a LOT if you tightly roll the clothes and stuff socks and briefs into the corners. We've always been pleased with the service. Shirts are returned on hangers and everything else is nicely folded. I dion't send delicates.

I pack for 7 - 10 days (whatever I can get into my carryon). If the ship has self service laundry I'll do that, or send it out if they don't.

I'll wash undies, bras in the sink. Some of my tops are thin/light enough to do in the sink and dry ovenight as well.

I wash my delicates in the sink but send out DH's shirts, polos, pants, underwear, shorts etc.

Rather than bring woolite or other gentle laundry soap, I use the ship's provided shampoo. If it is delicate enough for our hair, it is delicate enough for my 'dainties'. :)

I wash my delicates in the sink but send out DH's shirts, polos, pants, underwear, shorts etc.

Rather than bring woolite or other gentle laundry soap, I use the ship's provided shampoo. If it is delicate enough for our hair, it is delicate enough for my 'dainties'. :)

Now that's a great idea - I would never have thought of that.

I use the shampoo too and wash out my underwear and workout gear. If a ship has a self-serve laundry, we use that. If they have 'bag' specials, we usually do that, if needed.

We pack enough for 7 days or so no matter what length cruise we are on, and wash the things that are actually dirty as needed on longer cruise. Our longest has been 15 days, though. I suspect if I was going on a really long cruise, like 30 days or more I'd want more clothes along just for variety.

...So how does everyone handle that?

Do you find a laundry mat? Use the ship services etc...?

We have done a bit of traveling while living here so laundry mats are pretty accessible and easily used while eating etc... but this is our first long cruise and not sure I wan to deal with it.

So what do you do?

Thanks.

No way would I waste my few precious hours in a port doing laundry! We already don't have enough time to do everything we want without having to find a laundry mat and hang around til the laundry is done. Much rather budget to send to the ship's laundry service. Let them spend the time working on my laundry, not me!

3 different ships I've done laundry on (2 different cruiselines) and the washers and dryers are just like at our local Laundromat. You can set the temperature to wash/dry at whatever you want.

Or are you referring to the laundry that is sent to the ships laundry to do? I've read that they don't have different temperatures.

The sent out laundry.

I always take pictures of everything that is sent out. One time I sent out several of DH's golf shirts and one didn't come back. I was asked to describe it -- couldn't. We did get his shirt back after a couple of days. The pictures can be erased once you get the clothes back.

Do be careful what you send out. Everything is washed in huge machine in hot water and dried on hot.

I do my delicates in the sink. HAL has a bath shower gel that I use -- works fine for me.

I did the self-serve laundry on one of our cruises - NEVER AGAIN! It wasted my vacation time on something I hate. DH knows we will be paying for the laundry service. I do wish that all ships had the option that HAL has - the all you care to send out for a set price for the cabin! That was invaluable on our last Alaskan cruise, and I'd opt for on probably all cruises!

Another option is to sail enough on a cruise line to qualify for free laundry. I am not sure which lines offer this as a benefit in their loyalty program. Princess does. To qualify, you need wither 15 cruise credits or 150 nights on Princess.

Another option is to sail enough on a cruise line to qualify for free laundry. I am not sure which lines offer this as a benefit in their loyalty program. Princess does. To qualify, you need wither 15 cruise credits or 150 nights on Princess.

If you book a category "PS, S, SA, SB or SC" Suite on HAL ships, all laundry and dry cleaning is included in the price,

They also provide free pressing and laundry (not dry cleaning) for people who rank as Four Star Mariner (200 cruise day credits) or Five Star Mariner (500 cruise day credits).

I use the shampoo too and wash out my underwear and workout gear. If a ship has a self-serve laundry, we use that. If they have 'bag' specials, we usually do that, if needed.

We pack enough for 7 days or so no matter what length cruise we are on, and wash the things that are actually dirty as needed on longer cruise. Our longest has been 15 days, though. I suspect if I was going on a really long cruise, like 30 days or more I'd want more clothes along just for variety.

We did a 33 day cruise from the cold of Northern Europe (Iceland, Norway etc) to the heat of the Caribbean on NCL and only packed enough for 9 days (using layers for cold days). The only hand laundry I did were my bra's. We used the weekly special for everything else. We plan to do the same thing for our upcoming 26 day cruise on NCL from Copenhagen to Miami and through the canal.

If you book a category "PS, S, SA, SB or SC" Suite on HAL ships, all laundry and dry cleaning is included in the price,

They also provide free pressing and laundry (not dry cleaning) for people who rank as Four Star Mariner (200 cruise day credits) or Five Star Mariner (500 cruise day credits).

Although not as good as HAL's free laundry perk, on NCL, Platinum members get the bag special free, regardless of cabin type. That helps the budget, especially on long cruises.

Wow guys. Thanks for all of the info. Unfortunately all italian clothes shrink in hat water hahah so we may be buying new clothes in port lol.

I will definitely bring some febreeze or make it. Thanks for the recipes. I will plan on using the ship laundry. And you guys are right. I HATE laundry lol.

BTW how do you hang them? Bring a Rick Steve's style Line?

Hopefully we will earn the "free" laundry status one day. But the military doesn't pay well enough for a family of 5 to do too much cruising lol. By the time we earn it will will probably have grandkids haha. And that better be in the far future lol. As my oldest is only 15.

We did a 33 day cruise from the cold of Northern Europe (Iceland, Norway etc) to the heat of the Caribbean on NCL and only packed enough for 9 days (using layers for cold days). The only hand laundry I did were my bra's. We used the weekly special for everything else. We plan to do the same thing for our upcoming 26 day cruise on NCL from Copenhagen to Miami and through the canal.

Kudos on packing for such a long cruise with lots of weather variations. That would be my goal too. I have packed in a carry-on for an 8 day cruise/vacation when we took 7 grandkids along and didn't want to pay so many luggage fees, so I know I can pack light.

It's mostly about shoes!

Archived