Cabin Question - Brilliance of the Seas

Hello, am new to cruise critic and this is my first posting. Booked on BOS for Baltic cruise this August and am very excited! This will be our first cruise holiday. Have chosen an E1 balcony cabin but read (after booking) in one of the forums that you have to step over sofa bed (when it's made up) to get to the bathroom. Is this the case as could be tricky in the middle of the night. Can anyone please advise? Many thanks.

Hello, am new to cruise critic and this is my first posting. Booked on BOS for Baltic cruise this August and am very excited! This will be our first cruise holiday. Have chosen an E1 balcony cabin but read (after booking) in one of the forums that you have to step over sofa bed (when it's made up) to get to the bathroom. Is this the case as could be tricky in the middle of the night. Can anyone please advise? Many thanks.

Yes, there isn't much room for more than 2 in E1s. They have the smaller sofa bed as opposed to the D1s that are a larger room with the full sized sofa bed. Either way you have to be careful when paying a visit to the bathroom during the night, there isn't much space between the end of the pullout and the dressing table.

Previously, we have left the bathroom light on for reassurance for the kids. It's worth checking the price difference if there are 4 in your cabin as sometimes the rate for an inside is not that much more than the 3rd & 4th rate when sharing a balcony. Plus you have the added benefit of two bathrooms. It all depends on your circumstances e.g. How old the kids are if sharing, are there only 3 of you etc.

Btw, Brilliance is a beautiful ship - one of our favourites. The Baltics is also a wonderful area to explore ;). Enjoy your cruise :).

Thanks for some wonderful tips. Travelling with my husband and son who is 14. Cabin apparantly sleeps 4 as it also has a pullman bed. My son is already 6 foot tall so hope either bed will be big enough! Also hoping that cabin revitalisations may rectify problem somehow. :)

Thanks for some wonderful tips. Travelling with my husband and son who is 14. Cabin apparantly sleeps 4 as it also has a pullman bed. My son is already 6 foot tall so hope either bed will be big enough! Also hoping that cabin revitalisations may rectify problem somehow. :)

Cabins will not be changed/cannot be changed as to bed size and configuration.

Just comfort yourself with knowing that since her launch almost 12 years ago, thousands of people have slept in her E1 cabins with sofabeds and lived to tell the tale!

:)

Thanks for your reply. Had seen something online referring to replacement furniture in the staterooms during the dry dock revitalisation and that is what I was referring to. Am really excited about going and just wanted some advice on that point. :)

Help needed. Can someone please advise whether the D1 cabin sofa bed would be more suitable for DS aged 14 and currently 6 foot tall, may have another growth spurt over the summer! Trying to piece comments together from other threads on CC but still unsure. One thread has said that the larger sofa in the D1 is 60 inches long. Does this pull out to a full double or does it open click clack style leaving more floor space but too short a bed to sleep in? Grateful for any help as have to decide soon. :)

I'd definitely let your son sleep in the pullman - then you don't have to worry about the sofabed being open.

The Pullmans IMO are more comfortable than the sofa beds and will eliminate the concern over floor space with the sofa bed opened up. I would just suggest to have your stateroom attendant open the Pullman and let your son try it - you and he may be pleasantly surprised.

Enjoy your cruise!

luvseaair, you may want to consider bringing a battery-operated candle or two for your stateroom. They offer a nice bit of light for added safety if someone needs to get up during the night. You chose a great ship, we loved our Radiance and Serenade cruises (sister ships of Brillance). :)

That sounds like a good idea! My friend has one of those and they do have a nice soft glow. The cabin we have booked is forward on deck 9 close to the elevator which looks like a good location. The other option is to upgrade to the D1 which is mid ship on deck 10. Don't really want to pay extra unnecessarily. This has helped, thankyou :)

Cabin apparantly sleeps 4 as it also has a pullman bed. My son is already 6 foot tall so hope either bed will be big enough!

Just wanted to add that the Pullman berths have a bed length of 1.98m (76"), so your son should be fine. :)

Keep an eye out for your category between now and sail time. You might be able to move up to a larger room at the same price. Log on daily and check the prices. Then call RCCL or your TA.

My sons were over six feet the last time we cruised with them, and they MUCH preferred the pullmans. I laid on them, and I agree, quite comfortable. My DD had a sofa bed last time we cruised on the Serenade, and I thought it was very hard. I would not have slept well on it.

Have a great cruise!

My sons were over six feet the last time we cruised with them, and they MUCH preferred the pullmans. I laid on them, and I agree, quite comfortable. My DD had a sofa bed last time we cruised on the Serenade, and I thought it was very hard. I would not have slept well on it.

Have a great cruise!

Isn't the Pullman directly over the main bed on the E1 & E2 cabins for 3 on Brilliance? I'm sure I recall it configured that way - horizontally across the head of the bed (I'm sure someone can confirm) :confused:. Just something else to consider if you don't like to sleep with anything directly above you :eek:.

I believe the pullman is above the bed. That's why son isn't keen, I think :confused: He likes the look of the side opening sofa bed but that photo is from a D1 cabin on FOS. Would they have same type sofa bed on BOS? :confused:

I believe the pullman is above the bed. That's why son isn't keen, I think :confused: He likes the look of the side opening sofa bed but that photo is from a D1 cabin on FOS. Would they have same type sofa bed on BOS? :confused:

Yes, very similar. I'm trying to think back to our trips on Brilliance and after our first E1 experience, we decided to move up to a D1 on our next Radiance class ship.

Our friends, who also travel with us and have 3 in their cabin, have had both configurations with their DS (Pullman and sofa bed). He prefers the Pullman (he is slightly younger than your DS), however they prefer him on the sofa! They hate him being directly above them :eek:.

Personally, we now have two cabins if the costing is negligible between the D1 and a balcony and an inside (obviously, not for you as only 3 of you). If it was a choice between a forward or midship D1, I'd take the midship (do check the plans to see what is above the cabin first) where there is less movement.

Whichever you choose, you'll have a fantastic time on Brilliance. We love her that much we're considering another sailing on her next year to Iceland :).

Thank you! You have been so helpful. The D1 cabin is 1072 aware it may have some overhang from deck 11 but looks like overhang will be shorter than some of the others. Looked at another thread for cabins under the Windjammer and doesn't appear to be a problem. We are all heavy sleepers. :):)

Archived