Cruise ship design?

My favorites are the grand lobbies or atriums (or whatever you call them). Like the ones on Princess best because there seem to be more places to just sit, relax, and take it all in (not to mention the international cafe is nearby).

I've not sailed on many cruise lines, but here's few things I noticed.

Dining room evolution on RCI:

1st ship I was on was the Nordic Empress. The dining room was in the stern with nearly floor to ceiling windows covering two decks. There was a main floor and an upper balcony area with an elegant staircase coming down in the center of the room.

I felt like it was a step backwards with dining room design when the Sovereign class ships were introduced. Separate dining rooms on two decks with low ceilings, nowhere near as much glass, no real elegance.

RCI then went back to the dining room type with balconies & staircases and a more elegant feel with the next class of boats. They look to be modeled after the style dining room the Nordic had.

Has anybody else noticed how dining rooms on the RCI Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class look similar to the dining room on Lusitania?

JM

There have been several threads where people said something like...

If you could design a ,,brand>>ship from the bottom up, what would you put on it

or what would you wish for, or

what would you like to see.

A seach could turn those up.

Just passed them over in reading threads

I remember that Stephen Payne, marine architect of the QM2, which is the only liner afloat, said something like- when you design a liner, you design the ship then tell them what they can put inside it; when you design a cruise ship; you're told what's going inside it and have to design the ship around that.....

One small detail we liked on the Celebrity Soltice were the automatic glass sliding doors that block the Atrium noise from each floor.

Our room was just a few rooms down from the atrium but heard zero noise from bands playing in the lobby.

Archived