Has the net been removed from Veendam MDR?

UPNYGuy

It was still there in January. There's no reason to believe it's been removed since, as there is much work needed to be done for that to happen. The ship has been in constant service, so there was no time to do the required work.

I am not looking forward to dining beneath said net. :rolleyes:

Likely it doesn't add anything positive to the ambience.

To be honest I barely noticed it. I think people make too gmuch of it on cruise critic.

Was it to keep ceiling from falling?

Specifically, to keep the lamps from falling out of the ceiling.

The netting is tight to the ceiling, not draping down. It's not unattractive, imo, but does not allow the lamps to contribute to the ambiance as they were meant to.

To be honest I barely noticed it. I think people make too gmuch of it on cruise critic.

It was more of a curiosity thing. Doubt DW and I will be annoyed by it. We are just enjoying the S class while we still can, and making the most of it.

I am not looking forward to dining beneath said net. :rolleyes:

Likely it doesn't add anything positive to the ambience.

Don't look up. The ceiling is still beautiful, it's just the netting that isn't.:):)

IMO, I don't think the ceiling is going to be fixed. The sockets that hold the bulbs got wet and rotted out because the retreat poolettes leaked water down to the cabins below it and into the ceiling of the MDR. It would be a very large and expensive undertaking to fix that beautiful ceiling, and if Veendam is really to be sold, why would they do that? It's a shame.

ANyone know what happened to the engineer who designed those poolettes?

Definitely not a factor on our 20 day cruise in Jan. on the MS Veendam. Great crew and great cruise for us.

Hope your cruise is as good as ours.

Thanks. I hope so. We are very much looking forward to it.

We have some wonderful memories of Veendam cruises from years past but I'm not looking forward to that netting. I love the "S" class ceilings and it hurts me to see that.

I'll remind myself to not look up. :D

IMO, I don't think the ceiling is going to be fixed. The sockets that hold the bulbs got wet and rotted out because the retreat poolettes leaked water down to the cabins below it and into the ceiling of the MDR. It would be a very large and expensive undertaking to fix that beautiful ceiling, and if Veendam is really to be sold, why would they do that? It's a shame.

You are likely right, Carol.

About the engineer? :eek: :D

Not a clue. !!!

Veendam is being sold?

Many of us here are under the impression all of the "S" ships are for sale.

Of course, no one has posted any official announcement yet we keep hearing it 'here and there'. :)

It was confirmed to me by the Hotel Manager (and by the FCC) on our last Ryndam cruise that Veendam is on the block. FCC stated that one other S class is as well, just cant recall which at the moment. Basically, the only S that hasn't been brought up as blocked by someone at HAL has been the Maasdam.

My money says he/she was promoted.

It was confirmed to me by the Hotel Manager (and by the FCC) on our last Ryndam cruise that Veendam is on the block. FCC stated that one other S class is as well, just cant recall which at the moment. Basically, the only S that hasn't been brought up as blocked by someone at HAL has been the Maasdam.

Thank you for your information.

They tried to drown him in the original poolette, but the ship turned, the water all ran out, and he walked away dry as a bone.

we spent 21 days on Veendam and did not even notice the net after a short while. Actually my husband had not noticed it at all, it was after I explained to somebody else the reason behind the netting, that he finally saw it was there.:rolleyes:

And to the poster who is worried about Veendam; I was very worried as well and was even contemplating on cancelling. Glad I didn't. She was fine! Even though the retreat thingie at the aft is not the best idea somebody could think of, I do now have a soft spot for her and think back on her with a smile. Veendam was good to us.

Archived