Chukka Beach Break in Falmouth???

Has anyone done this through RCCL? Any reviews or pictures would be appreciated. Also, I read that, even though the tour says it is only four hours, you can take any shuttle back to the port, as they leave once per hour; is this true? Finally, can you purchase lunch once you get there, or do you have to book it in advance? Thanks!

We just did this excursion in January; if you click on the link in my signature, there are lots of pictures of this beach.

If you choose the Chukka Beach Break (without lunch), you will leave port early- by 8am, and there is NO shuttle back until 1pm. Benefit to this is it is much cheaper ($29pp) and when you get the to the beach, you'll be the only ones there. And yes, you can get food there by paying for it. We didn't, so I don't know the prices.

If you choose Chukka Beach Break with Lunch, you won't leave until noon (or so) and when you arrive at the beach you will find the prime spots occupied by those who have been there all morning. This is NOT a big wide beach. I did read a recent review about a couple who went there and only got a plate of food for the extra $30 they charge you- no bottomless plate buffet.

When we went, we begged the noon driver (who dropped off the second load of people) to take us back to port, he finally agreed- 5 hours would have been too much.

The beach was very nice, but not amazing. Lots of stray dogs (which my kids LOVED), but that could be a huge turnoff to some people. Also, there will be folks wandering the beach bugging you about hair braiding, jewelry, etc. (Yes, I know, they say it's private, but trust me, there are vendors.) Didn't bother me, but might bother others.

We chose this excursion because it was the cheapest, easiest way to get in some beach time with the 4 of us without spending $400 going to one of the resorts.

Hope that helps!

My wife and I did this. Weren't too impressed. Swam around for a bit, laid around for a bit, and took the first bus back. Just wasn't that enjoyable to be packed on a very average beach with a lot of people.

Granted, we did the island excursion in Labadee the previous day and there were 25 of us, not (seemingly) 300 like at Chukka, so perhaps we were spoiled.

I was just there in February. I really liked it especially the close proximity to the pier. We did the ship $29 excursion.

P1120398.JPG

P1120384.JPG

P1120459.JPG

Edited by emmy

Thanks for the pictures and the reviews. Did anyone else experience the stray dogs? That would potentially be a deal-breaker for us.

While there in Feb and where we were sitting we did not experience this at all.

It is a laid back, lazy day.

We are beach folks so it fit our wants perfectly.

As for the dogs...there were 2. they did NOT approach us of bother us.

There are vendors, but a NO sent them on their way....it is Jamaica...

If you are looking for perfection, not gonna find it there. But is you are looking for a great, relazzing day at the beach, Chukka works.

We bought our lunch there...the jerk chicken was to die for!!!!!!!!!!

We were also there last February and enjoyed it. The beach is not huge but very pretty. The locals were very friendly and helpful and there were vendors on the beach but a "no thank you" was respected and we saw no dogs. I would recommend it. We didn't do the lunch so can't comment on it.

It is a laid back, lazy day.

We are beach folks so it fit our wants perfectly.

As for the dogs...there were 2. they did NOT approach us of bother us.

There are vendors, but a NO sent them on their way....it is Jamaica...

If you are looking for perfection, not gonna find it there. But is you are looking for a great, relazzing day at the beach, Chukka works.

We bought our lunch there...the jerk chicken was to die for!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto for us in February. We loved it and will return.

I have a friend who did this excursion last week from the Freedom and really enjoyed it. I know there was at least one stray dog, but it didn't bother her (but she did take a picture of it!). She booked the excursion without lunch (it was $20 cheaper) - but when she was at the beach, she was able to purchase the same lunch as everyone else for only $15 - so that might be the way to go.

My wife and her three girlfriends were just there on Freedom of the Seas and absolutely loved it. Based on their experience, I know that the next time we are in Falmouth, we will be taking this excursion. Last time we were in Falmouth we explored the new terminal area and didn't venture outside the gates.:)

Jusr for another idea....we did the little trolley tour which leaves from inside the gates. Our guide was very knowledgeable and we saw some of the town landmarks and their history including a very old church which had a small straw market outside. The vendors were NOT pushy at all which was lovely and I did purchase a couple of things (not the case when they get in my face):eek: The tour took about an hour; cost was $15pp and they returned back to the shopping area just off the ship. We enjoyed it and did not feel unsafe or threatened at any time. If you are not a "beach bunny", this might be an affordable alternative!:)

beach looks great

any red stripe

Yep there sure was!!! now we went to the bar and also asked for a good rum drink..I cannot remember the name but it was very good!

P1120418.JPG

We went there in January and liked it. There were some dogs but they were attracted by food. I had some potato chips but did not give them any and they left. Beautiful beach. Only saw vendors when I walked down the beach a little ways. We would go back. Just did just beach and not the beach plus lunch.

We did this excursion with lunch. While I would do the beach again I would not do lunch. It was rice and beans with chicken, not very good and certainly not worth the money. The beach is okAy, quiet and unless you want to go on a long excursion a good option. We have also done the Martha Brea rafting from here a different trip. It was a short trip also. We just do not like to spend hours getting to and from somewhere on land so was a good option for us. The beach was clean and no one bothered us.

• 6 months later...
Hi all. What ships were you on that offers this excursion? I'm going on the allure of the seas in march, and don't see this listed as an excursion. Just wondering if it's from certain ships? Thanks for your help.:rolleyes: Gary

Not offered anymore. :(

Not offered anymore. :(

Looks like it may have been replaced with Red Stripe Beach excursion. From the description, it sounds similar to descriptions here. In the description it is mentioned the beach is about 10 minutes from port.

Edited by denamo