Thinking About First Hawaii Cruise - General Question

Thebosn1

For my 50th birthday I am considering a 15-16 day Hawaii cruise on Carnival. I have never been to Hawaii and never cruised the West Coast for that matter.

Is there much difference between the islands? I don't want each port call to be the same as the last. I assume it is like the Caribbean, where the islands are sort of the same but there are a wide variety of things to do depending on the port? The cruise I am looking at hits Maui, Honolulu, Kauai, Kona and Hilo. It sounds silly but are the islands very different from each other?

Also, the cruise I am looking at sails from one port and returns to another. Leaves Vancouver and returns to LA. Is this normal? Has anyone done one of these 16 day trips like this before?

Thanks for any input or info:)

Are they all a like? No! Are they dramatically different? No, probably not dramatically different. Each has it's own personality, although how much of that you can detect on a brief 8 hour or so stop is not much.

Kauai is very scenic, relatively unpopulated. Oahu is sort of like a big city, with great activities, and history, like Pearl Harbor. Maui (our favorite island) has a lot of everything, without being as crowded as Oahu.

Hawaii (the Big Island) is very rural, and has the active volcano.

All islands have beaches and water sports. Maui has by far the best whale watching, in season.

All of this info can be found with a little reading down the board. Some reading will find lots of people do cruises from the mainland- Vancouver, SF, LA, San Diego- regularly. There is also Pride of America's 7 day cruises sailing out of Honolulu. There are many threads about each of these possibilities.

Are they all a like? No! Are they dramatically different? No, probably not dramatically different. Each has it's own personality, although how much of that you can detect on a brief 8 hour or so stop is not much.

Kauai is very scenic, relatively unpopulated. Oahu is sort of like a big city, with great activities, and history, like Pearl Harbor. Maui (our favorite island) has a lot of everything, without being as crowded as Oahu.

Hawaii (the Big Island) is very rural, and has the active volcano.

All islands have beaches and water sports. Maui has by far the best whale watching, in season.

All of this info can be found with a little reading down the board. Some reading will find lots of people do cruises from the mainland- Vancouver, SF, LA, San Diego- regularly. There is also Pride of America's 7 day cruises sailing out of Honolulu. There are many threads about each of these possibilities.

Thanks. If I decide on Hawaii I will read deeper into the board, I just wanted a general idea. Thanks for the information!

We just returned from a hawaiian cruise. All the islands are very different even from one side of an island to the other . Such beauty! And LAVA. wow flowing into the ocean make sure your cruise will do a.nighttime sail past the lava it was one of the highlights of our cruise. We flew to Honolulu, stayed a few days then got on the ship.

Different from sailing the Caribbean. The 5 sea days were not rough at all.but cold and cloudy most days.

If we do this cruise again we would still choose to fly one way and sail the other, we like that we can really explore one island for a.few.days. hawaii haa alot to explore!

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Personal opinion!!!!

I would never cruise to Hawaii and spend more that half of my cruise at sea. I am also leery of the Pride of America as the only ship that does the Islands. They have to have an American crew, who IMO, are not as accommodating as others.

We have been on Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. If you have never been to Hawaii, fly to Kona, spend a few days with the volcanoes then go to Maui.

Out favorite Island is Kauai, and we have been there 3 times in 3 years!

We just returned from a hawaiian cruise. All the islands are very different even from one side of an island to the other . Such beauty! And LAVA. wow flowing into the ocean make sure your cruise will do a.nighttime sail past the lava it was one of the highlights of our cruise. We flew to Honolulu, stayed a few days then got on the ship.

Different from sailing the Caribbean. The 5 sea days were not rough at all.but cold and cloudy most days.

If we do this cruise again we would still choose to fly one way and sail the other, we like that we can really explore one island for a.few.days. hawaii haa alot to explore!

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Interesting, cold and cloudy huh? It is winter though so maybe that is why? I am looking at late summer early fall, hope to miss the cold wx. Thanks for the feedback!

Personal opinion!!!!

I would never cruise to Hawaii and spend more that half of my cruise at sea. I am also leery of the Pride of America as the only ship that does the Islands. They have to have an American crew, who IMO, are not as accommodating as others.

We have been on Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. If you have never been to Hawaii, fly to Kona, spend a few days with the volcanoes then go to Maui.

Out favorite Island is Kauai, and we have been there 3 times in 3 years!

The Islands are all different from one another from the look and feel of them to what you can do at each Island. They are all great and I highly recommend a cruise of Hawaii.

Keith

Thanks for the feedback, I apreciate it. What do you mean Pride of America is the only ship the "does the islands"? I am looking at Carnival they have multiple trips there from the west coast...

This is all great information thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback, I apreciate it. What do you mean Pride of America is the only ship the "does the islands"? I am looking at Carnival they have multiple trips there from the west coast...

This is all great information thanks again!

As I explained in my post. Pride of America does a 7 day cruise out of Honolulu. Just to the islands.

Interesting, cold and cloudy huh? It is winter though so maybe that is why? I am looking at late summer early fall, hope to miss the cold wx. Thanks for the feedback!

As is commonly discussed on this board, the first couple of days out of the west coast, and the last couple of days going back to the west coast, can be cooler and rougher.

We have traveled to Hawaii many times and have done 9 Hawaiian cruises --- it is our favorite itinerary.

I agree a R/T west coast is not the most efficient way to see the islands, but it is a heck of a great cruise.

Before my fist trip there 30 years or so ago, I had read in a tour book that to really get a grasp of the history of Hawaii, the book "Hawaii" by James Michener is a must read. I slugged my way through it. I think the first 50 or so pages just describes the the volcanoes erupting from the sea floor to create Hawaii. I is a very comprehensive story of the islands covering many centuries.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiyLvEEkgDIjgjxJtEVsw9bDII4yZniZL0yC-LK581aQHg_p4-3A

For Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America (the POA) cruise, you fly to Honolulu, board there, then spend the next seven days cruising to Maui, the Big Island of Hawaii, Kauai, and then back to Honolulu, Oahu. It's the only cruiseline that does that itinerary, and you get two days on each island. :)

Each island is very different and each have their own special personalities. Each island is also very different from one side to the other. The contrast of the East and West sides of the Big island are so different that it takes at least three days on the island to understand. Honolulu deservingly gets a bad rap because of it's very unhawaiian like big city culture, however a 40 minute drive in any direction out of Honolulu is some of Hawaiis most spectacular scenery that is hard to match in the rest of the world.

There two types of vacationers in my opinion who want to consider Hawaii. Those who are happy riding a bus all day listening to a guide tell them about the Hawaiian experience, and those who want to actually experience the Hawaiian experience. Sally and I will likely not cruise Hawaii again for a long time. We found that there is just to much stress trying to see Hawaii each day at the ports.

If you are wanting cruise Hawaii because you love cruising and Hawaii is just another interesting port you've wanted to visit, then you will enjoy cruising Hawaii. If however, you want to experience Hawaii the state because it offers a beauty that few other places in the world can offer, then I suggest saving the cruise for another time and instead rent a place to stay for a few days to experience Hawaii without the stress of waiting for tenders or trying to get back to the ship before it sails. If you are a beach person at all, you should save the cruise for another time because Hawaii has the most beautiful beaches in the world. If you enjoy hiking much at all, you might consider saving the Hawaiian cruise for when your knees and hips give out.

I'm not an anti cruise person at all, we cruise a lot. But Hawaii is best experienced at a relaxed laid back pace. I never felt that on the cruise.

Burt

I've been to Hawaii 5 times. In the olden days of 1988/89, Aston used to run some really great savings to book your Air & hotel for 5 days. Hubby & did Oahu. Then he had no interest in going back, so I did a 4 island with a friend (Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Hawaii). Fast forward to 1999 hubby again wanted to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center so we visited Oahu and Kauai. 2009 hubby and I did Hawaii & Oahu. 2011 I took my daughter and granddaughter to Maui. All of my trips have been land trips. I checked out the cruise, but the pricing was prohibitive.

I found renting houses from vacation rental by owner dot com to be a better bargain. We had 3 bedroom beautiful homes, a car and we drove all around the islands ourselves for half what they wanted for a cruise.

I like to do at least 5 days on each island to really SEE it!

I can't answer your question about sailing from Vancouver to Hawaii and back to Los Angeles. I liked cruising, but not enough to do 5 or 6 "at sea days". Have a great trip, whatever you decide to do.

Each island is very different and each have their own special personalities. Each island is also very different from one side to the other. The contrast of the East and West sides of the Big island are so different that it takes at least three days on the island to understand. Honolulu deservingly gets a bad rap because of it's very unhawaiian like big city culture, however a 40 minute drive in any direction out of Honolulu is some of Hawaiis most spectacular scenery that is hard to match in the rest of the world.

There two types of vacationers in my opinion who want to consider Hawaii. Those who are happy riding a bus all day listening to a guide tell them about the Hawaiian experience, and those who want to actually experience the Hawaiian experience. Sally and I will likely not cruise Hawaii again for a long time. We found that there is just to much stress trying to see Hawaii each day at the ports.

If you are wanting cruise Hawaii because you love cruising and Hawaii is just another interesting port you've wanted to visit, then you will enjoy cruising Hawaii. If however, you want to experience Hawaii the state because it offers a beauty that few other places in the world can offer, then I suggest saving the cruise for another time and instead rent a place to stay for a few days to experience Hawaii without the stress of waiting for tenders or trying to get back to the ship before it sails. If you are a beach person at all, you should save the cruise for another time because Hawaii has the most beautiful beaches in the world. If you enjoy hiking much at all, you might consider saving the Hawaiian cruise for when your knees and hips give out.

I'm not an anti cruise person at all, we cruise a lot. But Hawaii is best experienced at a relaxed laid back pace. I never felt that on the cruise.

Burt

Great Post!

Burt

That is very insightful, thanks very much. Your response is really helping me make up my mind.

We have traveled to Hawaii many times and have done 9 Hawaiian cruises --- it is our favorite itinerary.

I agree a R/T west coast is not the most efficient way to see the islands, but it is a heck of a great cruise.

Before my fist trip there 30 years or so ago, I had read in a tour book that to really get a grasp of the history of Hawaii, the book "Hawaii" by James Michener is a must read. I slugged my way through it. I think the first 50 or so pages just describes the the volcanoes erupting from the sea floor to create Hawaii. I is a very comprehensive story of the islands covering many centuries.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiyLvEEkgDIjgjxJtEVsw9bDII4yZniZL0yC-LK581aQHg_p4-3A

Haha thanks for the feedback! You are not going to get me to read Michener that easily though! I don't mind the sea days, so the long crossing may actually be fine with me. You make an interesting point, along with others, that for actually experiencing theislands, the cruise may not be the best choice. Thank you.

As is commonly discussed on this board, the first couple of days out of the west coast, and the last couple of days going back to the west coast, can be cooler and rougher.

Thanks, I didn't notice your POA comment in your first post. Got it, thanks for the feedback.

We want to go to Hawaii in November. Can't decide whether to cruise from West coast or go on POA after flying there. I have heard a number of time that POA is inferior. We usually go on Holland America, food is good and lots of good service. Is POA really that bad???

We want to go to Hawaii in November. Can't decide whether to cruise from West coast or go on POA after flying there. I have heard a number of time that POA is inferior. We usually go on Holland America, food is good and lots of good service. Is POA really that bad???

no, POA is not that bad. Read some of the latest reviews.

Your choice boils down to what do you want as the main event? A Cruise or to see Hawaii? sailing from the mainland the main event is a cruise with a side of Hawaii. POA or a land trip, the main event is definitely Hawaii. You have to pick what suits your needs.

.......Also, the cruise I am looking at sails from one port and returns to another. Leaves Vancouver and returns to LA. Is this normal? Has anyone done one of these 16 day trips like this before?....:)

I'm curious about which cruise line you found this cruise on....haven't seen that one come in any of my searches. Might be great for us as we love Vancouver, don't mind sea days, spend 4 weeks a year in Kona so it would be nice to just visit a couple of other islands, then end up almost at home! How much we'd like it would all depend on which ship/line.

Edit: Never mind, just found it - Carnival Miracle. That's why we didn't see it, always exclude Carnival from our searches.

Yes, POA was really that bad. The only good thing about it was the Hawaii itinerary. The cabins and veranda's were much smaller than HAL, the beds were terrible. Food in the main dining room was very poor however food is very subjective. To get a reservation for the specialty restaurants you had to call between 8 and 9 am. Both SIL (in a different cabin) and I had our phones on speed dial and never during the 7 day cruise did either of us get an answer. Our cabin stewarts did keep our cabin clean but BIL and Sil did not have clean cabin until late afternoon. Almost all employees on the ship refused to talk to anyone, turning their heads away, giving out the strong impression that it was beneath them to even say good morning. Our cruise was several years ago and hopefully things have changed.

Yes, POA was really that bad. The only good thing about it was the Hawaii itinerary. The cabins and veranda's were much smaller than HAL, the beds were terrible. Food in the main dining room was very poor however food is very subjective. To get a reservation for the specialty restaurants you had to call between 8 and 9 am. Both SIL (in a different cabin) and I had our phones on speed dial and never during the 7 day cruise did either of us get an answer. Our cabin stewarts did keep our cabin clean but BIL and Sil did not have clean cabin until late afternoon. Almost all employees on the ship refused to talk to anyone, turning their heads away, giving out the strong impression that it was beneath them to even say good morning. Our cruise was several years ago and hopefully things have changed.

No offense, but your cruise was in 2007. A lot has changed on POA since then.

Haha thanks for the feedback! You are not going to get me to read Michener that easily though! I don't mind the sea days, so the long crossing may actually be fine with me. You make an interesting point, along with others, that for actually experiencing the islands, the cruise may not be the best choice. Thank you.

I was fortunate enough to have Gavin Daws as my history professor at the University of Hawaii. If you don't want to read Michener (and I did), I think you will much prefer his writing style.

http://www.amazon.com/Shoal-Time-History-Hawaiian-Islands/dp/0824803248/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368919649&sr=8-1&keywords=shoal+of+time

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=molokai+daws&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amolokai+daws

Be cautious. Big Island Revealed/Maui Revealed are good guide books but they are not written by local folks and so some of the information is not culturally correct.

Renee (displaced local girl)

Archived