Live and Almost Live from Carnival Sunshine, May 17-26, 2013

That has to be one of the best names for a boat "Lexington Blue". Did your uk girlfriend appreciate that name as much as I did. Lol

I doubt she saw it. She hasn't said anything. It is one of the ways I can tell if she has actually looked at the pictures. :p

I can't find too much info on the yacht. Did find a blog by a former captain.

I'm so sorry I must have missed it ill go back and look again

I found it sorry for repeating the same question already asked

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

No apology necessary - but thank you and accepted and please accept mine. I often multitask so wasn't really sure if I had posted here.

But yes, there are a variety of inputs available and the source select switch on the side of the TV seemed to work. I did not test beyond that - some options were locked on our TV.

I also did not try connecting anything, but think it works.

I never, ever bring my passport ashore unless required by law (lie St Petersburg, Russia). The odds of it being stolen or lost are far greater than me needing it. It stays locked in the cabin safe.

You can bring a photocopy if you wish.

One exception I might consider in the future - IF you are going to make a major purchase, I found out that some stores will do the paperwork for you to get the VAT back. One gallery in Venice in particular said they would have rebated me the VAT if I had my passport (needed for the paperwork).

I read on another thread that you need your passport in Dubrovnik. Not sure why. Have you had that experience?

I read on another thread that you need your passport in Dubrovnik. Not sure why. Have you had that experience?

Don't recall that and have been to Dubrovnik a number of times but maybe. When leaving the port area sometimes they would check something but I forget if it was a passport or just a picture id. We didn't go to Dubrovnik on this cruise and I haven't been in a couple of years.

In any event, Croatia is becoming a member of the EU in a few days so things may change.

Thank you for your answer. Of course it made me look up what differences there will be with Croatia joining the EU. One more question, if I may. ;) I have never been overseas. Is it better to exchange USD for EUR in the states or wait until you are in Europe? I have read some other blogs that say it is best to use the ATM's in Europe. What are your thoughts?

You do need your passport in Dubrovnik. In fact they will come on the shuttle bus and check.

Thank you for your answer. Of course it made me look up what differences there will be with Croatia joining the EU. One more question, if I may. ;) I have never been overseas. Is it better to exchange USD for EUR in the states or wait until you are in Europe? I have read some other blogs that say it is best to use the ATM's in Europe. What are your thoughts?

The best exchange rate is using ATMs as they use a central bank. Make sure you have a 4 digit pin (no letters) and use a debit card not credit card. A credit card would be used as a cash advance and you would pay interest from the day you withdrew cash.

I always have a few euros from previous trips but probably best to have a few euros from your bank to start just in case.

You do need your passport in Dubrovnik. In fact they will come on the shuttle bus and check.

The best exchange rate is using ATMs as they use a central bank. Make sure you have a 4 digit pin (no letters) and use a debit card not credit card. A credit card would be used as a cash advance and you would pay interest from the day you withdrew cash.

I always have a few euros from previous trips but probably best to have a few euros from your bank to start just in case.

Thanks Maryann! I appreciate your help.

A few brain cells are waking up. As I recall, we just held our passports up and someone did a quick look see. The didn't really inspect them. If you were in the back of the bus?

But I think that was because Croatia wasn't in the EU and wouldn't be surprised if it goes away.

I always use ATMs - ones that look like they are attached to banks and after I see someone else get cash out. There is too much fraud out there.

Also notify your bank before you go or they will likely decline transactions from foreign countries. The 4 digit pin is important.

If you use credit cards to charge purchases, and they have a smart chip, you will also need a 4 digit pin for that.

A few brain cells are waking up. As I recall, we just held our passports up and someone did a quick look see. The didn't really inspect them. If you were in the back of the bus?

But I think that was because Croatia wasn't in the EU and wouldn't be surprised if it goes away.

I always use ATMs - ones that look like they are attached to banks and after I see someone else get cash out. There is too much fraud out there.

Also notify your bank before you go or they will likely decline transactions from foreign countries. The 4 digit pin is important.

If you use credit cards to charge purchases, and they have a smart chip, you will also need a 4 digit pin for that.

Thanks everyone for all the passport tips!

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=scarlettmama&date=7-19-2013&text=&ship=Carnival Sunshine

Yeah it becomes the 24th state to join the EU, allowing people to travel in/out of Croatia with the same freedom as other EU states.

Yeah it becomes the 24th state to join the EU, allowing people to travel in/out of Croatia with the same freedom as other EU states.

Is that a driver for countries to join? I thought (and it may be lack of knowledge on my part) that it was economics.

Just off the Sunshine today. Worry not, the ship looks great and is running fairly well for the most part. Some glitches and issues...will report on all when we return stateside...but for now, if you are soon to embark, there is little cause for concern.

More to come.

F

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Is that a driver for countries to join? I thought (and it may be lack of knowledge on my part) that it was economics.
It is economic, EU membership allow Croatian to travel and work in other EU countries, it also give them access to a huge export market.

Passports carry them.

This is how you claim VAT back for goods in the UK the same will apply in Croatia. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/overseas-visitors.htm

And of course once Croatia joins the EU in July the sunshine will not leave the EU during its schedule so will not be able to sell duty free onboard

Sunshine has 3 more cruises that will visit Izmir, Turkey, so I think those cruises might have an exemption.

It is economic, EU membership allow Croatian to travel and work in other EU countries, it also give them access to a huge export market.

Passports carry them.

This is how you claim VAT back for goods in the UK the same will apply in Croatia. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/overseas-visitors.htm

Interesting. Thanks

Sunshine has 3 more cruises that will visit Izmir, Turkey, so I think those cruises might have an exemption.

I'll be stopping in Izmir on my September cruise, so I can report back if we had the duty free stuff. Hopefully we will qualify!

Just off the Sunshine today. Worry not, the ship looks great and is running fairly well for the most part. Some glitches and issues...will report on all when we return stateside...but for now, if you are soon to embark, there is little cause for concern.

I'm glad to hear you had a great cruise! Can't wait to hear more details once you get home!!

Archived