Would you still cruise Celebrity

wallie5446

A quality Cruise is all I need to Cruise again with Celebrity.  

271 members have voted

1. 1. A quality Cruise is all I need to Cruise again with Celebrity.

As always, there is chatter about changes coming to the Captains Club program. I know, we all like to think we get something for coming back again & again. Would you cruise Celebrity just for the quality of the product?

A quality cruise is all I want from any cruiseline. Without more specifics why should a quality Celebrity cruise be picked over a quality cruise with HAL, RCI, Princess etc.

The problem occurs when the advertised product does not live up to expectations. It is cheaper to offer perks to reward returning cruisers than to attract new ones who are satisfied cruisers on a competing cruise line.

We've only sailed Celebrity and RCCL and been loyal to Celebrity the last 4 times because we're am looking to move up to elite. If they move elite too far away then we may still cruise Celebrity but will comparison shop across more lines. Right now we consider Celebrity first but probably would be more balanced in our choices.

Quality is the draw for me. The Captain's Club perks are just a bonus, and would have zero affect on my decision making, even if they canceled the program entirely. For me, choosing a cruise line is much more that just what freebies I can get out of them.

A quality cruise is all I want from any cruiseline. Without more specifics why should a quality Celebrity cruise be picked over a quality cruise with HAL, RCI, Princess etc.

The problem occurs when the advertised product does not live up to expectations. It is cheaper to offer perks to reward returning cruisers than to attract new ones who are satisfied cruisers on a competing cruise line.

I thought you had turned your back on Celebrity with that big announcement you made a few weeks ago that Celebrity was no longer good enough for you. And here you are, again giving us your opinion that the product is below your standards. Can't resist complaining? :D

Well, I think the poll could have been worded differently. I answered yes. Because I consider lots of different lines when picking a cruise. But I do give Celebrity and Princess an edge because I get freq cruiser benefits on both. The benefits do matter, we just do not decide solely based on them.

Hello:

Celebrity Cruises has some of the highest numbers of return passengers in the large ship segment...Cunard also....

While we all know a new level will be added, it would add no benefit for Celebrity to strip the elites of the perks they have come to enjoy. They will most probably ADD further perks to persons who achieve a new level and if ANYTHING reduce some of the perks Elites get....NOT eliminate...But before everyone says....This is conjecture...IMHO.

And to answer the question...Would we cruise Celebrity if there was no Captains club?....Answer is YES....As long as the product stayed consistent. HOWEVER we would look around more at other cruises..where lately we just loyally book Celebrity.

Safe sails everyone.

FWIW, I have been toying with the thought of trying a luxury line, such as Oceania. I for one feel that if the Elite lounge is taken away...a nice touch that I've really come to enjoy, that I will be trying other lines sooner rather than later. It's not even all about the free drinks for me. It's the social aspect, the friendly host, the nice little bites that get passed around. It makes me feel appreciated for my loyalty to them. They would be wise to make a new tier, let the elite + or whatever it will be called have a smaller lounge with top shelf liquor and let us regular elites keep our larger lounge and simply offer a toned down version of free drinks. I think RCC has something similar.

FWIW, I have been toying with the thought of trying a luxury line, such as Oceania. I for one feel that if the Elite lounge is taken away...a nice touch that I've really come to enjoy, that I will be trying other lines sooner rather than later. It's not even all about the free drinks for me. It's the social aspect, the friendly host, the nice little bites that get passed around. It makes me feel appreciated for my loyalty to them. They would be wise to make a new tier, let the elite + or whatever it will be called have a smaller lounge with top shelf liquor and let us regular elites keep our larger lounge and simply offer a toned down version of free drinks. I think RCC has something similar.

I am disappointed in Celebrity. After many cruises and many cruise lines, the product that I loved on Celebrity just isn't there. We loved the Zenith, the food, the service, but that has changed over the years. We have gone on all the luxury lines, and just do not think that Celebrity is for us anymore. We are going back to the Galapagos again, but after that we are booked on Silversea, and had booked the Reflection for a TA in a Signature Suite, and cancelled to go on Oceania. The price was within $500 and the product is much better. I think there is a market for Celebrity, but frankly have no interest in being on a ship with 3,000 other people. The perks were nice with Elite status, but not a determining point. Size of ship, service, and food are the most important for us.

If there were no perks at all I would likely sail RCCL ( where I have 450 nights and get lots of perks ) or try other lines. If there were no Celebrity perks, and I wanted a change I might as well try other lines . Particular perks like the lounge is not a draw for us but the combination of a few drinks, and all the other perks make for a nice incentive to sail Celebrity. We didn’t have much time to use the lounge on our last cruise ( the timing from 5-7 did not work well with a port intensive Med cruise) and frankly we spent some lovely time socializing with others at the wine tasting and tea.

In the past we considered Celebrity a step above RCCL but after the last Equinox cruise, they are even on our score card, and RCCL might even be better in terms of entertainment.

If the product was a bit more upscale, i would consider it. Since it is even with other lines that give me lots of perks - then no.

m

Can't resist complaining? :D

Didn't you know that complaining is more fun than actually going on a cruise? ;) That's why there are so many arm-chair experts giving opinions when they seldom set foot on a ship.

All sorts of people claim that their choice of cruise line whether it be X, Y or Z is the best.

If this same question is/was asked on the other boards in reference to their choice, the results may be similar for each cruise line.

All I'm saying is that a quality cruise is expected by everyone who books a cruise.

For people who actually have varying cruise experiences throughout the year, there is not a simple yes or no answer. We enjoyed our one week experience on Oasis every bit as much as our Celebrity cruises over the last year.

As long as the price is right and the itinerary is enticing and one is aware of other competing quality experiences, a cruise line has to dangle a carrot to reward repeat business. What does the quality cruise of choice have to offer to prevent people from straying to other quality cruiselines?

What is a quality cruise? I'm sure that Carnival cruisers believe Carnival is a quality cruise. In fact a Carnival quality cruise is a lot cheaper than a Celebrity quality cruise, so Celebrity must have something more.

Burt

I am disappointed in Celebrity. After many cruises and many cruise lines, the product that I loved on Celebrity just isn't there. We loved the Zenith, the food, the service, but that has changed over the years. We have gone on all the luxury lines, and just do not think that Celebrity is for us anymore. We are going back to the Galapagos again, but after that we are booked on Silversea, and had booked the Reflection for a TA in a Signature Suite, and cancelled to go on Oceania. The price was within $500 and the product is much better. I think there is a market for Celebrity, but frankly have no interest in being on a ship with 3,000 other people. The perks were nice with Elite status, but not a determining point. Size of ship, service, and food are the most important for us.

Silversea? That is way above any Mass Market line. Oceania is probably

not as luxury as Silversea, but it is still luxury.

Even if I was unhappy with Celebrity I could never book either one

of those lines...way too much $$$$ for me.:eek:

Nice to have choices though:)

I havent voted because neither of the options fit us. We always look at Celebrity first, and I wouldnt be telling the truth is I said the perks didnt make the difference - they do, especially the internet, and laundry coupons. The drinks are nice but we tend to get a drinks package anyway!

Not having those perks would just encourage us to look more seriously at other lines, especially those who value repeat business!

I dont believe quality would improve by ending the captains club.

it is funny i was just reading an article that cruise lines are not picking up first time cruisers I am not sure if they need to other than the fact that current cruisers can only cruise so often and we are all getting older.

By offering stuff that should be "standard" to ELITES it makes it less likely a person will start with Celebrity.

How you you feel paying for drinks and finding out some old fart who had sailed 5 times was getting a free happy hour every day and they paid for an inside cabin and you were in a suite?

maybe they should offer first time cruiser specials to draw people in.

Silversea? That is way above any Mass Market line. Oceania is probably

not as luxury as Silversea, but it is still luxury.

Even if I was unhappy with Celebrity I could never book either one

of those lines...way too much $$$$ for me.:eek:

Nice to have choices though:)

Well, when you factor in everything is included, tips, drinks, etc, etc, the price can be very similar. Also, the cabins are all much bigger, so the least expensive can be a very good value. It is nice to get off without a bill. On some cruises the average is about the same.

I dont believe quality would improve by ending the captains club.

Or be reduced, either.

I book for the cruise itinerary, the cruise line, and then the cost. The perks are at the bottom of my decision making list. What good are perks if quality is not there? But, you can have quality without those perks. If perks are available, great. It's a bonus. But it certainly has no bearing for me in choosing a specific cruise.

So here we are near the end of the first 24 hours since I asked this question. 125 votes and 21 comments.

Why I asked the way I did.

We are 3 days into a cruise on another line last Nov, the wife see's a Celebrity Ship and says, 'we should have gone on Celebrity'.

We are not Elite, (will be in Nov) we have spred our cruise $$ around to 7 diff lines since '87. They all 'value' repeat customers, they all have customers that feel they give a quality cruise, as mentioned above. For us, in our cost threshold, the few $$ of perks we get from another line is not worth the cruise product.

While we don't always cruise on Celebrity, we do always consider X when planning a cruise. Often, the itinerary is the deciding factor for us.

No problem with the quality of X. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Us as well. We cruise based on itinerary rather than cruise line. I've enjoyed some cruises more than others but have never had a "bad" cruise.

Well, when you factor in everything is included, tips, drinks, etc, etc, the price can be very similar. Also, the cabins are all much bigger, so the least expensive can be a very good value. It is nice to get off without a bill. On some cruises the average is about the same.

Glad those lines are giving you what you are looking for:)

For me? Going solo? Looking at the prices of Silversea and Oceania?

Not happening. I think we are probably in very different brackets.

Not even close to similar prices for me.

But that is what makes the world go round;)

Archived