Would you still cruise Celebrity

wallie5446

A quality Cruise is all I need to Cruise again with Celebrity.  

271 members have voted

1. 1. A quality Cruise is all I need to Cruise again with Celebrity.

Glad those lines are giving you what you are looking for:)

For me? Going solo? Looking at the prices of Silversea and Oceania?

Not happening. I think we are probably in very different brackets.

Not even close to similar prices for me.

But that is what makes the world go round;)

I think the solo deals are bad on most lines. We are fortunate to have each other, so we don't get it with those penalties as singles do. That is unfair for sure.

How you you feel paying for drinks and finding out some old fart who had sailed 5 times was getting a free happy hour every day and they paid for an inside cabin and you were in a suite?

I imagine the same way folks who pay $900 for a coach seat feel when a loyal frequent flyer gets his/her first class seat for free; the same way someone who pays $400 a night for a standard hotel room feels when a loyal hotel guest gets the Owners Suite for free. Perks aren't an entitlement; they are earned.

I think the solo deals are bad on most lines. We are fortunate to have each other, so we don't get it with those penalties as singles do. That is unfair for sure.

Hi:) oh, I wasn't trying to complain. I was just trying to say comparing

Celebrity to Silversea is like apples to oranges.

The price I pay? It is what it is......I love to cruise and as long as the

total is within my pricepoint? I am happy:D

I just know Silverseas is not in it;)

When defining a quality cruise, passengers on the same cruise can have a very difficult experience.

Here's a good read on the inconsistency of quality service:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1843107

I get it, this happens every cruise on every line. Was my question to simple minded, to simple worded.

Should I have asked,'Will you cruise Celebrity no matter how crappy it gets as long as you get free drinks, clean socks, and internet time'?

I've only cruised twice, expect to do lots more, will take two more cruises to be elite. But, it strikes me that all these frequent traveler programs are kinda like the emperor's clothes stuff. We are told that something is a perk, so we therefore conclude we are liking it. I'm really not sure that the perks one gets from any of these programs really in the end make a lot of difference - or any - if we are truly honest with ourselves. If you add up what you "pay" to qualify for the reward, not sure we really gain anything. And, what we pay includes "paying" by having to stick with a certain company. And, what you earn, as a perk or reward, I think it may sometimes be coveted more because someone feels they have been singled out as special - they have been told this is a good thing - rather than because they truly value the thing itself.

Just sayin.

I get it, this happens every cruise on every line. Was my question to simple minded, to simple worded.

Should I have asked,'Will you cruise Celebrity no matter how crappy it gets as long as you get free drinks, clean socks, and internet time'?

I read this somewhere:

"It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end" U.K.LeGuin"

If there is evidence over the last year that the quality is not consistent, from people who actually have cruised, then any company will have to resort to perks or gimmicks to keep and attract its customers.

Just look at all the programs that Celebrity has introduced over the last six months to attract passengers. I would really like to know how many people who voted yes actually booked a cruise recently without being enticed by 1,2,3 low air fares, $99 per day fares etc.

Celebrity seriously raised prices, continues to lower rates after final payment date and upsets a lot of cruisers who are now more willing to wait for a new lower price.

Obviously the "quality" of the product is not filling the cabins as expected without incentives.

Celebrity does have a quality product as do many other cruise lines.

A quality cruise at a fair price (however defined) is a reason to vote yes... but this is a competitive industry and that yes vote could apply to many cruiselines.

I agree. Celebrity has a great product. We do consider the benefits when we book, but we couldn't say we "wouldn't" book without them. If we'd never known about them, perhaps, but now that we've done several cruises experiencing the benefits it would be sad to lose them. I don't think it's the $$$ necessarily, although that's nice, I think it's the way that Celebrity makes us feel special for returning. If they lose that aspect then our egos wouldn't be as happy.

Tom

In my mind Celebrity would have a very long way to fall from what it is today before I would ever call it a "crappy" cruise line.

Maybe some folks here have much more refined tastes than I do.

In my mind Celebrity would have a very long way to fall from what it is today before I would ever call it a "crappy" cruise line.

Maybe some folks here have much more refined tastes than I do.

The statement was not literal.

A few comments I would like to address.

First off, the one benefit for single sailors.....is much better on Silversea....Where you can get many cruises for only 10% additional. For example...an Aquaclass Balcony in Europe is about $1700-2300 USD now. X2 if you are a single. However you can buy a 10 day cruise on Silversea with 10% single supplement for the same @ $4000.....AND have everything included.

We were big Silversea cruisers however we find the ships are too small....And on longer cruises, we get bored. With Celebrity's drink packages, and specialty restaurants, it gives us a "small ship" in a big ship feel...This has sold us. While Silversea definitely serves it up "Fancier" we find the food quality to be only a small notch above Celebrity.... It is more about big and small ship....what you are looking for. We go to the same bar and have the same cabin attendants so the "personal service" we get onboard both lines is usually excellent.

Silversea's incentives to sail is FREE Laundry after 100 nights.....up until the last day of your cruise....wrapped in tissue paper with a little Silver Seal. And a free 7 day cruise after 300 nights sailing....ugh.

Happy Sails to all.

We will be Elite after this cruise but dont really care much about it. After all the complaining etc. I probably wouldnt bother going just for free drinks no interest. I love cruising and as long as the food, entertainment, itinery and cabins are good I will go. I do love Celebrity so far as the ships never feel crowded and the staff is always friendly. Just my thoughts:D

How you you feel paying for drinks and finding out some old fart who had sailed 5 times was getting a free happy hour every day and they paid for an inside cabin and you were in a suite?

maybe they should offer first time cruiser specials to draw people in.

That old fart had to cruise in 5 CC or suites to get his "free" drinks that fast, and even so that isn't a big deal. I'd care more if I found out the adjoining cabin cost 1/3 less than I paid, if I booked early and the neighbors didn't. Or in the case of 123 Go, finding out I missed out on an $88/day sale.

As for first time cruiser specials, I will say it can be a double edged sword. Carnival forums are full of people saying that the environment on board is targeting first timers at the expense of variety for the repeat cruisers, and by cutting corners because the first timers don't know better.

A few comments I would like to address.

First off, the one benefit for single sailors.....is much better on Silversea....Where you can get many cruises for only 10% additional. For example...an Aquaclass Balcony in Europe is about $1700-2300 USD now. X2 if you are a single. However you can buy a 10 day cruise on Silversea with 10% single supplement for the same @ $4000.....AND have everything included.

We were big Silversea cruisers however we find the ships are too small....And on longer cruises, we get bored. With Celebrity's drink packages, and specialty restaurants, it gives us a "small ship" in a big ship feel...This has sold us. While Silversea definitely serves it up "Fancier" we find the food quality to be only a small notch above Celebrity.... It is more about big and small ship....what you are looking for. We go to the same bar and have the same cabin attendants so the "personal service" we get onboard both lines is usually excellent.

Silversea's incentives to sail is FREE Laundry after 100 nights.....up until the last day of your cruise....wrapped in tissue paper with a little Silver Seal. And a free 7 day cruise after 300 nights sailing....ugh.

Happy Sails to all.

Hi,:) the SS might be lower, but if the actual cruise price is more than

a person can afford or wants to pay then the lower supplement does

not help.

From everything I have read, offereing a lower single supplement

is not uncommon on the high end luxury lines but the base price

is way more money than many of us can or want to pay.

I was not meaning to get into a SS debate.:eek:.....

The elite status was nice to go in the evening to Michaels Club on the Century. There were not many elites, so it was a quiet pleasant place to sit and enjoy before dinner. However on the big ships and lots of elites ( hate that word ), those big gatherings, our vouchers just isn't appealing. Also, on the smaller lines, they have laundry facilities, so it was easy to throw a load in and put it in the dryer when you were not busy. That is convenient. My husband usually did it.

We are very disappointed in the vouchers and the anticipated changes. We have tried every line at least once, some many times, even back to the Big Red Boat and Dolphin [my guess is many don't even remember them :)]. We have several Celebrity cruises scheduled. If we took them, we'd be at 26 with Celebrity, but just this weekend talked about cancelling them & going on Princess. It is the smoking policy that is the deciding factor for us when picking the line. Princess is now very close to Celebrity with their smoking policy. We have to decide this week.

We cruise Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard and NCL... the only one that is a standout in the group is Cunard. The others are all very similar... with the exception of NCL where there is less emphasis on dress and more emphasis on "freestyle".

We look for the itinerary... then the ship.

We are elite on Princess and Celebrity... but just as happy with going on another line. Cunard really surprised us... service, food and entertainment excellent. We enjoyed a TA on the Queen Victoria so much we booked the same ship again six months later in the Mediterranean.

I am disappointed in Celebrity. After many cruises and many cruise lines, the product that I loved on Celebrity just isn't there. We loved the Zenith, the food, the service, but that has changed over the years. We have gone on all the luxury lines, and just do not think that Celebrity is for us anymore. We are going back to the Galapagos again, but after that we are booked on Silversea, and had booked the Reflection for a TA in a Signature Suite, and cancelled to go on Oceania. The price was within $500 and the product is much better. I think there is a market for Celebrity, but frankly have no interest in being on a ship with 3,000 other people. The perks were nice with Elite status, but not a determining point. Size of ship, service, and food are the most important for us.

I think you are mixing apples and oranges. Celebrity is a premium cruise line, not a luxury one such as Oceania or Seaborn therefore your level of expectation should not be the same. We think dollar for dollar Celebrity provides an excellent product. We have had very few issues with Celebrity over the years but on those occasions when we have Celebrity has made it right. No questions asked.

The problem with the question is the assumption that the Celebrity product is still "quality." We have only cruised Celebrity once (and enjoyed Summit very much), so loyalty perks isn't an issue for us. But many threads on this board show that long-time Celebrity cruisers are quite conscious of continuing cutbacks.

One that I'm aware of, which did affect my enjoyment, is the lousy coffee they serve nowadays. Another is the ever higher prices for the specialty restaurants.

We are looking at the new Viking Oceans cruises. Much closer to all-inclusive (with a stated commitment not to "nickel and dime"). I think this will be a real threat to Azamara, but may also lure away those who long for the "old" Celebrity.

I think you are mixing apples and oranges. Celebrity is a premium cruise line, not a luxury one such as Oceania or Seaborn therefore your level of expectation should not be the same. We think dollar for dollar Celebrity provides an excellent product. We have had very few issues with Celebrity over the years but on those occasions when we have Celebrity has made it right. No questions asked.

Hi:)....I said the same thing earlier....(the apples to oranges analogy)

but was basically told I was incorrect. I am guessing you will be

told the same thing.

Archived