Looking your best when you gained weight!!

I am going on vacation in a week and I have gained a good deal of weight...

I am about 30 pounds over my normal weight. I decided this would not ruin my vacation and sought out tips to look my best in a larger size....

Few things I have come upon doing research that I would like to pass along.

Make sure that your under garments fit correctly. Purchase a good bra and undies that are not cut to little.. Sites recommended mid waist undies. Good foundation is key.

Make sure that the pants you pick fit you. Go up to whatever size so that they are not snug. Tight clothes will make you look heavier... Stay away from lo cut pants and go for a wide pant leg.

Tops, again right size, not snug but more important not too big. Over sized tops will make you look larger than you are...

Use belts to accent your best features.

Jewerly, go for the larger bolder pieces and stay away from the more delicate necklaces.

So this was the information I was armed with when shopping today. I did not concern myself with the fact that I had to buy larger sizes but remained focused to purchase what looks the best at my present size..

Still not thrilled with what I purchased and how it looks on me but it is what I have to work with right now.

Hi,:) you make some interesting observations. I am guessing

they are "general statements", as we are all very different individuals.

I am not a belt person at all and as for jewerly? I try to wear what

I think matches my outfit. Sometimes smaller items and sometimes

a bit larger. I don't go for "BIG BOLD PIECES"....that is just not me.

I am not a "dainty" person either and I wear mostly medium

sized things (in jewelry).

As for undergarments? I definitely agree that wearing the right size

is important. Whatever the size happens to be. Being overweight

doesn't mean you have to look sloppy for sure. (I am way overweight).:eek:

Smoothdancer, thanks :rolleyes: to menopause, I gained 20 lbs. Did I mention :rolleyes:? :D I feel your pain at the 30 lbs you gained.

I go with "body skimming" now instead of "body hugging" to camoflauge (sp?) my roll of weight around my waist. I pretty much live in t-shirts, so now I am very conscious of the weight of the t-shirt fabric. I stick to heavier-weight t-shirts, and am able to be comfortable with how I look.

I'm glad you found some things that will work for your trip! You could not PAY me to wear a belt for any reason except to keep my pants/jeans in place :D

Being overweight doesn't mean you have to look sloppy for sure.

I think that is the key. Although I think it is getting a little better now (with the exception of Honey BooBoo), historically overweight people are portrayed as sloppy, messy, unkempt people. I have a friend who, like me, has had a weight problem all her life. Her mother always told her that she had to go out of her way to dress nicer and neater than everyone else. That way people would notice how well dressed she was rather than she needed to lose weight.

I really like your positive attitude and I understand completely what you are saying about clothes and especially undergarments. If they fit correctly it makes everything look nicer.

I keep gaining weight and then trying dieting to lose ... its so difficult to lose the weight. I have insulin resistance syndrome (metabolic syndrome) and am now going though my ob-gyn's weight loss program. All my testing is starting to come back much better and I've lost 26 pounds .. but still have a ways to go yet.

Have a wonderful time on your vacation .... Jan

I really like your positive attitude and I understand completely what you are saying about clothes and especially undergarments. If they fit correctly it makes everything look nicer.

I keep gaining weight and then trying dieting to lose ... its so difficult to lose the weight. I have insulin resistance syndrome (metabolic syndrome) and am now going though my ob-gyn's weight loss program. All my testing is starting to come back much better and I've lost 26 pounds .. but still have a ways to go yet.

Have a wonderful time on your vacation .... Jan

Hi Jan:).....for some reason I thought you were a WW person;)

I have been posting a bit over on the "lose to cruise" forum....I went

to my first 2 WW meetings......many people think it is such an "easy

program"......not me:eek:....to be honest, I think it is overwhelming.

and I need to get on it....but keep postponing...so much stress...

Despite my "jelly belly", people have commented on how much weight I have lost...

I have NOT...the only difference is...

Most days I work with a loose fitting white jacket over my clothes (School Nurse)...lately no ill fitting jacket...

So wearing the correct size and not too small or too large is the most flattering....

Trying to increase activity....thank God warm weather is here!!

I log everything that goes in my mouth when I am watching my weight...fitday dot com is free...it keeps me honest!

Bernadette

Hi Lois!!! I tried WW, but I had a difficult time with the point system and I went to the meetings for awhile, but I am a quiet person and there were one or two people at the meetings that didn't allow anyone else to talk, that I found it wasn't helping.

I now just count calories and keep an excel spreadsheet of everything I eat. I've also used sparkpeople.com

I enjoy the lose board and the weekly weigh in as it gives me someone to talk to that understands how difficult it is. My doctor has me on so many calories per day and so much exercise .... slowly its working. Jan

Hi Lois!!! I tried WW, but I had a difficult time with the point system and I went to the meetings for awhile, but I am a quiet person and there were one or two people at the meetings that didn't allow anyone else to talk, that I found it wasn't helping.

I now just count calories and keep an excel spreadsheet of everything I eat. I've also used sparkpeople.com

I enjoy the lose board and the weekly weigh in as it gives me someone to talk to that understands how difficult it is. My doctor has me on so many calories per day and so much exercise .... slowly its working. Jan

Ahhhhh...ok. One thing nobody has ever called me...quiet:eek:...LOL

The team leader is very nice and everyone seems friendly but omg,

I have to weigh every item, count every point, write down everything.

And of course, when you are used to living a certain way? It is very

hard to change everything at once, overnight:eek:

Sorry, we seem to have gotten off topic.....sorry to the OP...didn't

mean to go off on a tangent.:(

Any thoughts on bathing suit choices?

While I am going to look for a well made and constructed suit that's all I have for ideas.

Beall's and Kohl's both have nice choices...I like tankinis myself.

Full coverage tops and bottoms but 2 pieces....much easier to

get in out and of;):)

It gets less overwhelming after a while. I've lost 100 lbs. with WW (and am now a leader). But yeah....overwhelming those first few weeks and/or if you are trying to change everything at once. Baby steps. Good luck :)

While I am going to look for a well made and constructed suit that's all I have for ideas.

I suggest you look at tankinis. Most are available as separate pieces, so you can buy what fits both your top and your bottom. And again, something that floats away from a problem area (for me, I carry a lot of my extra weight near my waist :rolleyes: ) so I have an empire-style top with underwire, and the lower part of the top is floaty. You can also find nice ones that have floaty skirt parts on the bottoms, if the hip/butt/thighs are a problem.

Swimsuits for all have quite a nice selection. My favorites are blouson types. Even picked up extra shorts from Target to go with the ones that came originally with skirts. Maxine brand fits me best but they have several brands. Recently at the Ross here there were several in the upper sizes that were cute, well-known brands.

It gets less overwhelming after a while. I've lost 100 lbs. with WW (and am now a leader). But yeah....overwhelming those first few weeks and/or if you are trying to change everything at once. Baby steps. Good luck :)

Congratulations:) I like the team leader but to be honest, she seems

to want us to change EVERYTHING at once. It is just too hard for me

to go 180 degrees in the other direction in 2 weeks.

There is a thread over on the Lose to Cruise forum. We should

probably take this over there.

Hi smoothdancer: the tips you gave are good tips for clothing choices. I always have weight issues and if I wait for them to be all gone to go on a cruise , I would not be going on cruises, so like you said . Work with what you have. I have a time dealing with being on the short side as well so many things that are flowey don't work on me , it just makes me look shorter. I also do not understand why the desigeners of larger clothing think that huge bright patterns would be something we would want to ware. NO... neat clean lines are my best choice , I like short sleeve sweater cover ups, and tone on tone colors. I hope that you had a good successful shopping excursion and have a great cruise.

And I have not seen you on the DWTS thread lately , always enjoyed your input on that.

Cori

Hi Cori... LOL The voice won out over DWTS this season, but I still dance!

Well Macy's is a bit more expensive than I wanted to go for shopping for vaca clothes I wont get too much use out of but it fit the bill. I did get a Tankini suit well made that I like lot. Yes, the top and bottom are different sizes!

I purchased a green and white dress that has a layered look with ruffles on the top, perfect style for warm weather. Yesterday I bought a dress gathered at the waist with a belt. In the store I liked it but once home I did not so that one will go back.

I will be spending the rest of the week nights hemming pants!

Smoothdancer- I agree with a 100% of your observations. I carry weight around my hips and thighs and I was surprised that the retro pinup girl style of one piece was most flattering on me.

Order online from Walmart to make it all the better

My surprise was because the magazines always tell those with heavy thighs to go for higher leg cuts. However those cuts seem to just reveal my saddlebags in all their glory ;)

Interested in hearing others thoughts

As a plus size with a large chest, I loved a tankini where the top had underwires for support. No blouson for me - I have an hourglass figure and a blouson does the worst for my shape. So dress your shape! Ruching is usually good ;-) I've bought Lands End separates for years (the Overstock prices + email coupons are usually nicely affordable!)

With a large chest, I NEVER want to tuck a shirt or wear a belt. Seems that my boobs hit the belt (and yes, that's WITH a properly fitted bra - a bra can only do so much:eek:) I love a knit dress that skims the body.....

I've lost 60 lbs this year and though I'm FAR from a hard body (or a teenager) I've bought bikinis. If I was wearing tankinis as a plus size, I'm sure as heck wearing bikinis at size 10. And if you don't like it, don't look;)

As a plus size with a large chest, I loved a tankini where the top had underwires for support. No blouson for me - I have an hourglass figure and a blouson does the worst for my shape. So dress your shape! Ruching is usually good ;-) I've bought Lands End separates for years (the Overstock prices + email coupons are usually nicely affordable!)

With a large chest, I NEVER want to tuck a shirt or wear a belt. Seems that my boobs hit the belt (and yes, that's WITH a properly fitted bra - a bra can only do so much:eek:) I love a knit dress that skims the body.....

I've lost 60 lbs this year and though I'm FAR from a hard body (or a teenager) I've bought bikinis. If I was wearing tankinis as a plus size, I'm sure as heck wearing bikinis at size 10. And if you don't like it, don't look;)

Congrats on your weight loss:)

Jantzen and Coco Reef are good brands. I've tried a bunch of tankinis, even bought a couple, but they just look bad on me. The give me no support (even with underwires and halters, I'm 34D), and no waistline (too straight down). I haven't worn regular bottoms in many years, only skirted bottoms. I look best in full-coverage, supportive bra-like or halter-bikini tops, with high-waisted skirted bottoms. I have a little belly and some back fat, but I still look slimmer this way than in the tanks. I also have a pair of swim shorts that have enough coverage, the kind that zips up and ties at the waist. So it all depends on your shape and where your "bulges" are.

Right I tried on a lot of Tankinis and found all are not equal.

Some fabric was too flimsy and did nothing for my shape.

I ended up with a Caribbean Joe with an empire that has a slight flair to it. pleased with the construction and a the little heavier fabric. I am a C and found the support adequate.

I also bought kind of pull on , waist roll down see thru pants, kind of a lace fabric, not exactly but best description I can come up with.. With the top being full coverage I found them nice alternative to a short dress like cover up.

Anyway can someone recommend one of the body shapers that will not be uncomfortable to wear thru dinner and evening. During my week-end shopping spree I have accumulated 30.00 in Khols cash!!

My biggest splurge today was a pair of coach sandles. Usually I dont care for coach because of the tons of knock offs of this brand, but they are so comfy, could not resist!! At this rate the shopping adventure may cost more than the actual vaca!! Its been fun!!

LOL. I have more to say...

Now I am on dress 2 going back to the store.

Have you gals ever noticed this thing, that a dress looks lovely looking in the mirror front on, you get excited and then you turn around to the backside AUGGG, looks horrible!

But anyway it took me a while to weed out my internet search of good advise for me, and the not so good... While I was happy with the uneven layered dress with ruffle, shopping today I came home with 2 more dresses, now that makes two going back!!

Layers was not the best choice. I fed into my insecurities that I needed lots of fabric and to my surprise the better choices for me turned out to be a stretch a-line. This dress is cool, it has diagonial fabric, all in the same material so you have to look close to see it is on a diagional. Boat collar works good for me. This may be my new go to little black dress. Knee length is also best for me.

The next dress I bought has a wide band gathered at the waist and then flows. Since my tummy is my worst enemy it brings the focus away from my problem area.

Lois you were right that my research came up with general ideas and we all are different. Still it was a good starting point for me.

One of my dresses is taupe and the waistband has crystals. While I should have gone with a silver shoe I dont like silver shoes so I went with a dull copper... I hope this is close enough and does not clash. Love the shoes and will be able to get a lot of wear out of them. The dress is a bit fancy for the resort we are staying at, but I wear cocktail dresses many evenings on non formal nights on cruises so I don't think I will be uncomfortable with my choice....

I cant wear metal jewerly at all on my arms or ears, even the best quality causes immediate rashes. I can no longer even wear my wedding rings. Pretty much am going with little to none.

Probably going with none.

One more evening shopping for under garmets and I think I am done, horray!

I have one shaper that I loathe, will find it, and post the name so you can avoid the "dancing like a drunk squirrel to get into it and the looking like an overstuffed sausage with a tummy" look that it gave me :D I honest to gawd thought I was going to have to call a friend to rescue me from it when I tried it on (ordered on the internet) :eek:

My Nancy Ganz shaper is pretty good, though.

Archived