athens to paris then on to US--can we make it?

NoWhiners

Hi All

We will be flying from Athens to Paris after our cruise in October. I have read about how long and hard it is to get thru CDG airport. We only have 1 hour between flights (from paris to salt lake City) and now I am wondering if we can make it.

Does anyone have any experience with this? it seems to involve Schengen countries and if you need to go thru Customs.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

ML

What airline(s) are you flying?

It doesn't matter much because you will, more than likely, NOT make your connection in one hour.

CDG is a complex airport for unfamiliar travelers. Signage has improved but you may have to transit from one terminal to another.

You have several alternatives. If you have booked within the last 24 hours you can cancel your ticket and rebook. Think in terms of a three hour layover. You can pay a change fee of approximately $250 per ticket and find more reasonable flight connections. There may also be an added expense for the ticket as well. You can wait until you get to Paris and hope that the airline has seats on later flights. Take a list of your airlines schedules and those of their code share partners to make things go more smoothly.

I am guessing that since you are transiting through CDG you may be on either Delta or Air France, or both, on your way to SLC.

Good luck.....you will need it.

What are your options if you miss the connection?

An hour going through CDG is probably too tight but if you have good fallback options to get home on a later flight it might be OK to try.

We had an hour going through Frankfurt last year and didn't make it due to security and immigration but Lufthansa was able to put us on a later flight and we got home 2 hrs later than originally planned. We knew it was tight but figured if we missed the early flight we'd wind up on the later flight anyway so may as well book the early flight.

Thanks for all the info. We booked a direct nonstop flight from Athens to JFK for Oct 15. Last week, Delta called to tell us this flight stops operating on Oct 14 (typical airlines--why post the right schedule). There won't be a charge to book us a new flight, unless they claim that we can only take the ones they offered.

The new flight from ATH to CDG is AirFrance (not excited about that), then we fly Delta to SLC, which would be a great flight if we make it. There are a few other later flights with different routing back to ABQ if we miss our flight, and there is room.

And, not that it helps, but we actually have 1 hour and 25 minutes between flights--does that really make a difference?

Any thoughts?

ML

And, not that it helps, but we actually have 1 hour and 25 minutes between flights--does that really make a difference?
The difference between 60 minutes and 85 minutes would make a difference to me. Personally, I'd be reasonably happy to take an 85-minute connection there, if there are backup flights later in the day (which there are), even if I would ideally have preferred a little longer.

You'll have seen other replies from me on your other current thread.

Thanks for all the info. We booked a direct nonstop flight from Athens to JFK for Oct 15. Last week, Delta called to tell us this flight stops operating on Oct 14 (typical airlines--why post the right schedule). There won't be a charge to book us a new flight, unless they claim that we can only take the ones they offered.

The new flight from ATH to CDG is AirFrance (not excited about that), then we fly Delta to SLC, which would be a great flight if we make it. There are a few other later flights with different routing back to ABQ if we miss our flight, and there is room.

Any thoughts?

ML

An hour and 25 minutes is certainly much better then 60 minutes.

No one can guarantee whether all will work out but your chance is certainly a lot better.

Keith

The new flight from ATH to CDG is AirFrance (not excited about that), then we fly Delta to SLC, which would be a great flight if we make it.

Not sure why you say that....you'll get a meal and wine on your flight from ATH to CDG -- more than what you would receive from DL from JFK to SLC. AF inflight can be quite good, though still below the level of some Asian and Mid-East carriers.

Not sure why you say that....you'll get a meal and wine on your flight from ATH to CDG -- more than what you would receive from DL from JFK to SLC. AF inflight can be quite good, though still below the level of some Asian and Mid-East carriers.

FlyerTalker

Yes, we will get breakfast but may have to skip the wine--the flight leaves ATH at 7 am! That's too early for wine, even for me:)! I have read a lot of bad reviews about AF but have never used them. After this flight, I will have first-hand experience.

Thanks for the reassurance

ML

The difference between 60 minutes and 85 minutes would make a difference to me. Personally, I'd be reasonably happy to take an 85-minute connection there, if there are backup flights later in the day (which there are), even if I would ideally have preferred a little longer.

You'll have seen other replies from me on your other current thread.

Hi Globaliser

I was just getting ready to call Delta and saw this post and the one from Keith. Now I am thinking we should just keep the GDG to SLC flight. It only gets us home about 4 hours sooner, but we will be practically home once we get to SLC and one less airport stop than CDG-ATL and ATL-ABQ.

I know you said you would do it, and we are reasonable risk-takers. So, do you think we should roll the dice and stick with CDG-SLC or wimp out and take the CDG-ATL-ABQ route? I have seen some recent comments that make me think we can make the flight. And, we are travelling in October, not the middle of summer, which might mean less pax traffic (and maybe less security lines).

This whole thing would be avoided if CDG didn't think it was necessary to do the security check for people who are only transiting the airport!

Thanks

ML

The rules about security checks are at the demand of the US gov't for all flights going to the USA. Don't blame the airport.

I've been through those security checks and they are very very detailed and can take time.

I would check as much stuff as possible and go with minimum carry on baggage to include your medicines (and similar essentials), jewelry, cameras and other expensive electronics, travel documents, tickets etc.

Change of underwear, tooth brush and a clear shirt in your carry on as well.

It looks like you're doing the 7am AF (code-share with Delta, but AF metal) flight ATH to CDG, then the Delta flight 88 (DL metal) to SLC. I took flt 88 on May 10. Delta does indeed have it in their schedule as a legal connection. The AF flight usually lands in 2F and the Delta flight leaves 2E (last week, it left from the M pier of 2E) 2F and 2E are connected via walkways and a train. In a perfect world (Delta's ;)) 1.25 would be enough. But, I never like less than 2 hours at CDG. Any way you can spend the night at CDG and take 88 the next day? The flight is 11 hours, give or take (mine was supposed to be 11.15, but ended up being 10:50). CDG is now a much better transit airport that it used to be with all the busses you had to take, with the hardstands and standalone terminals. But, you still need time to get around.

Too bad you have to get back on a plane at SLC to ABQ: One of the nice things about living near SLC and having that flight is that you can shop duty-free at CDG and bring back some nice wine or spirits without having to worry about packing them in your checked bags to avoid TSA dog-and-pony show at SLC for the connection :D

It looks like you're doing the 7am AF (code-share with Delta, but AF metal) flight ATH to CDG, then the Delta flight 88 (DL metal) to SLC. I took flt 88 on May 10. Delta does indeed have it in their schedule as a legal connection. The AF flight usually lands in 2F and the Delta flight leaves 2E (last week, it left from the M pier of 2E) 2F and 2E are connected via walkways and a train. In a perfect world (Delta's ;)) 1.25 would be enough. But, I never like less than 2 hours at CDG. Any way you can spend the night at CDG and take 88 the next day? The flight is 11 hours, give or take (mine was supposed to be 11.15, but ended up being 10:50). CDG is now a much better transit airport that it used to be with all the busses you had to take, with the hardstands and standalone terminals. But, you still need time to get around.

Too bad you have to get back on a plane at SLC to ABQ: One of the nice things about living near SLC and having that flight is that you can shop duty-free at CDG and bring back some nice wine or spirits without having to worry about packing them in your checked bags to avoid TSA dog-and-pony show at SLC for the connection :D

slidergirl

Yes, I agree it is legal but we decided not to take the chance and have rebooked using ATH-CDG-ATL-ABQ. Globaliser also suggested overnight in Paris, but we decided we want more time there and will combine it with a trip to London in the future. CDG-SLC would have been a great flight but the guys I used to work with took this flight a couple of times and had nothing but trouble. Now they fly through Amsterdam. And, most everyone on CC advised having more time in Paris. See my post below for more details.

That is a great benefit to ending at SLC!!

Thanks for your help

ML

Hi All

I am posting this message on all the threads I started on this topic.

Just got off the phone with Delta--switched to the ATH-CDG-ATL-ABQ routing. So, now we have a little more than 4 hours at CDG. Seems like everyone agrees that will be enough time and allow for any issues. And, now our flight from CDG-ATL is on Air France not Delta, and we did get seat assignments already. But, seats from ATH-CDG are only assigned at the airport. Oh well, can't have everything.

I want to thank everyone for the advice, flight options and other tips. So nice to have this resource available--I owe each of you a drink!!

Thanks again for all the help

ML

Just got off the phone with Delta--switched to the ATH-CDG-ATL-ABQ routing. So, now we have a little more than 4 hours at CDG. Seems like everyone agrees that will be enough time and allow for any issues.
I think you will feel a lot less stressed doing this! I'm glad you're sorted.
But, seats from ATH-CDG are only assigned at the airport.
This whole thing would be avoided if CDG didn't think it was necessary to do the security check for people who are only transiting the airport!
Both of these are very common.

In particular, a security check between flights is actually standard practice around the world, with two main exceptions: a connection from a domestic flight, and (now) a connection from a flight within the Schengen area. While the latter exception would normally be permitted for the connection you're making, the fact that you actually have to be security checked between flights isn't that unusual.

Hi All

I am posting this message on all the threads I started on this topic.

Just got off the phone with Delta--switched to the ATH-CDG-ATL-ABQ routing. So, now we have a little more than 4 hours at CDG. Seems like everyone agrees that will be enough time and allow for any issues. And, now our flight from CDG-ATL is on Air France not Delta, and we did get seat assignments already. But, seats from ATH-CDG are only assigned at the airport. Oh well, can't have everything.

I want to thank everyone for the advice, flight options and other tips. So nice to have this resource available--I owe each of you a drink!!

Thanks again for all the help

ML

Go to the Air France website. Have your ticket number handy (the thing on your receipt that starts with probably "06xxxxxxx." Click on the "view/modify your reservation." Click on the "ticket number" radio button and enter your 13 digit ticket number and your last name. That will bring up your reservation in the AF system. From there, try to secure seats for the ATH-CDG flight. If you still can't do it, you tried. Many times, the intra-Schengen flights won't do seats until day of. This little trick in the AF system will be very important for you to watch those CDG-ATL seats. AF has a habit of arbitrarily moving/changing seats around and not letting you know about it. It happened to me 4 out of 5 AF trips, with the last one 2 weeks ago, and there's lots of anecdotal comments about this on the Delta flyertalk forum for those who booked Delta but had AF metal. Keep checking on it frequently up until your flight.

Have your ticket number handy (the thing on your receipt that starts with probably "06xxxxxxx." Click on the "view/modify your reservation." Click on the "ticket number" radio button and enter your 13 digit ticket number and your last name.
Actually, to be pedantic the 13-digit ticket number should start "006" if the ticket is issued by Delta.

Actually, to be pedantic the 13-digit ticket number should start "006" if the ticket is issued by Delta.

Hmmm, I have to check this out. All I have is an itinerary #--maybe if I go to the Delta site, I can get the ticket number and try slidergirls's trick. Thanks for the help I already feel less stressed!

I had a perfectly lovely flight CDG-ATL on AF last year. Good food, good wine, and some of the friendliest FA's ever. :)

from your lips to AF's ear!! That would be a welcome change from recent flying.

Thanks

ML

Go to the Air France website. Have your ticket number handy (the thing on your receipt that starts with probably "06xxxxxxx." Click on the "view/modify your reservation." Click on the "ticket number" radio button and enter your 13 digit ticket number and your last name. That will bring up your reservation in the AF system. From there, try to secure seats for the ATH-CDG flight. If you still can't do it, you tried. Many times, the intra-Schengen flights won't do seats until day of. This little trick in the AF system will be very important for you to watch those CDG-ATL seats. AF has a habit of arbitrarily moving/changing seats around and not letting you know about it. It happened to me 4 out of 5 AF trips, with the last one 2 weeks ago, and there's lots of anecdotal comments about this on the Delta flyertalk forum for those who booked Delta but had AF metal. Keep checking on it frequently up until your flight.

Wow, this is a terrific tip--thank you so much!! I went to the Delta site, found a place to view receipt and found the ticket numbers. I will start trying when we get closer to the flight--maybe in late July? might try now, just to test out the process. NOTE: i just tried and it didn't work but it is way too soon. At lwast I know what to do now. it would be nice to at least know our seats in advance but at that point, all that matters is that we are on our way home!

Thanks again--how do you guys (you and globaliser) know so much???

ML

Globaliser - you are right about the "006". It was a typo on my part.

I used to travel for business. You'd be surprised at all the tricks you can learn! I've flown AF internationally and intra-Europe a few times - I have enjoyed them. Now, they were all Business-class, but still... My last one was on May 8, from FCO to CDG. Nothing wrong at all. A little breakfast, a few trips down the aisle with beverages. What's unusual for Business is that it still has the 3-3 seating, but the middle seat is not used and it has a tray/armrest put on the seat. It's kind of nice to have that extra arm space.

Are you flying coach or Business? If Business, be sure to ask for directions to the airline lounges!

At CDG, the M pier of 2E has a very nice duty-free area. And, if you can get into the AF lounge there, it is amazing!!!! It had a better breakfast buffet than most hotels!

Enjoy your flights and your cruise!!!

Any thoughts?

ML

We had 90 minutes last fall using Air France for all flights and barely made it running all the way. If it was me, I wouldn't do it again. It's far too stressful for me.

I absolutely agree with you. Our meal was actually very good, much better than other carriers.

Thanks again--how do you guys (you and globaliser) know so much???
Me, I've been flying since I was aged 5½ weeks, and normally I average about one flight a week (but grouped into trips of course). It's all for leisure and I have to pay out of my own pocket, so I like to make sure I'm getting good value (while remembering that this is not the same as the lowest price). Add in a general interest in a fascinating industry and the way it works, right down to techie detail like how to read and understand detailed fare rules. And, these days, ready access to very good Internet tools to help plan travel - and to the collected wisdom of FlyerTalk, from which there is much to learn, particularly from real road warriors.

Very glad to have been able to help you get to a satisfactory outcome.

Are you flying coach or Business? If Business, be sure to ask for directions to the airline lounges!

At CDG, the M pier of 2E has a very nice duty-free area. And, if you can get into the AF lounge there, it is amazing!!!! It had a better breakfast buffet than most hotels!

Enjoy your flights and your cruise!!!

Thanks Slidergirl. Unfortunately, Business class is not in my future. Like you, when I traveled to Europe when I was working, I flew business and it was nice. Now, that we are paying, we will live with Coach. we are really looking foward to this trip and appreciate your help.

ML

Me, I've been flying since I was aged 5½ weeks, and normally I average about one flight a week (but grouped into trips of course). It's all for leisure and I have to pay out of my own pocket, so I like to make sure I'm getting good value (while remembering that this is not the same as the lowest price). Add in a general interest in a fascinating industry and the way it works, right down to techie detail like how to read and understand detailed fare rules. And, these days, ready access to very good Internet tools to help plan travel - and to the collected wisdom of FlyerTalk, from which there is much to learn, particularly from real road warriors.

Very glad to have been able to help you get to a satisfactory outcome.

Globaliser--way better than satisfactory. Couldn't have done it without you!

ML

Archived