Celebrity really got this right!

robinlynn

When the sailings for 2014 were announced a while back, I was both surprised and delighted to see that my particular Northern Europe sailing on the Eclipse was the only one adding LeHavre as the last port. France is and always has been, my very favorite destination and I felt that it was just my lucky fate that they chose that sailing for me to revisit , if even for one day!

But yesterday, as I was looking again at my itinerary, I saw that our one day in France was on June 6th, the D-Day anniversary. This year is the 70th anniversary of D-Day and there will be parades, memorials, and celebrations throughout the country, and especially, of course, in Normandy, where we will be!

My DH and I are thrilled. His Dad was one of those brave heroes, fighting his way from the beaches of Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the liberation of Paris, even liberating a **** death camp or two along the way. He fought under General Patton, receiving a Bronze and a Silver Star for his efforts. He was the kindest sweetest man you could ever want to know and he is greatly missed, even though it has been a while since he passed away.

We are so delighted to be able visit on this special day and share in the celebrations and reflections of the bravery of those men. We have been to Normandy on two previous trips, the second time with our adult children, but being able to be there on this special anniversary is very special. There can not be too many of these veterans left, but it will be so wonderful to share in these events with them.

Celebrity is offering at least three excursions that include the landing beaches and the Museum to the liberation at Caen. They are including a buffet lunch at Caen, since it is a very long day.

I really feel that Celebrity was on the ball with this one and for history buffs like us, we are delighted.

Thank you Celebrity...you really got this one right !

Robin:D

So happy to read your post.

There have been times in my travels when I wondered at my good fortune because of itinerary changes- ones that produced a great and worthwhile serendipitous experiences. There are many examples, but my two favorites- our friend and guide to see Romania had to cancel , but we ended up staying at an Inn run by a Transylvanian Count! And then we couldn't find a cheap flight from Romania to Croatia, but ended up in Istanbul, one of my now favorite cities.

While yours wasn't necessarily an itinerary change, it sounds as though it was meant to be. I wish you safe and happy travel.

Andrew

Did cruise critic really edit out the word n a - z i from your post? Ugh.

We did the d day tour last year on the eclipse TA and it was amazing. I am jealous for you because I imagine yours will be extra amazing being the anniversary. What we did and made it better was break way from the group and see it all on you time and your terms. It definitely made it more memorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did the d day tour last year on the eclipse TA and it was amazing. I am jealous for you because I imagine yours will be extra amazing being the anniversary. What we did and made it better was break way from the group and see it all on you time and your terms. It definitely made it more memorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always try to do a private tour, but we are a little concerned about lots of extra traffic on those small Norman seaside roads . Would hate to get caught in a big long log jam, while worrying about getting back on time, so are leaning towards a ship excursion for this port. On our last visit there, our family had the beaches almost to ourselves, but this time either way, I assume there will be crowds no matter which way we go

When the sailings for 2014 were announced a while back, I was both surprised and delighted to see that my particular Northern Europe sailing on the Eclipse was the only one adding LeHavre as the last port. France is and always has been, my very favorite destination and I felt that it was just my lucky fate that they chose that sailing for me to revisit , if even for one day!

But yesterday, as I was looking again at my itinerary, I saw that our one day in France was on June 6th, the D-Day anniversary. This year is the 70th anniversary of D-Day and there will be parades, memorials, and celebrations throughout the country, and especially, of course, in Normandy, where we will be!

My DH and I are thrilled. His Dad was one of those brave heroes, fighting his way from the beaches of Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the liberation of Paris, even liberating a **** death camp or two along the way. He fought under General Patton, receiving a Bronze and a Silver Star for his efforts. He was the kindest sweetest man you could ever want to know and he is greatly missed, even though it has been a while since he passed away.

We are so delighted to be able visit on this special day and share in the celebrations and reflections of the bravery of those men. We have been to Normandy on two previous trips, the second time with our adult children, but being able to be there on this special anniversary is very special. There can not be too many of these veterans left, but it will be so wonderful to share in these events with them.

Celebrity is offering at least three excursions that include the landing beaches and the Museum to the liberation at Caen. They are including a buffet lunch at Caen, since it is a very long day.

I really feel that Celebrity was on the ball with this one and for history buffs like us, we are delighted.

Thank you Celebrity...you really got this one right !

Robin

You are very fortunate. We have spent4 days in Normandy and will return.

The museum in Caen is not large, but it is very moving. The American cemetery is an extraordinary site. When we were there at the top of every hour either our national anthem or God Bless America was played. Everyone there stands motionless out of respect. It is extremely emmotional and makes you proud to be an American.

On a lighter note several years before our Normandy visit our family was in paris on June 6. The word around town is that is the only date that the French like the Americans.

Enjoy your trip. You will want to return to see more.

Dennis

nibird2

Robin

On a lighter note several years before our Normandy visit our family was in paris on June 6. The word around town is that is the only date that the French like the Americans.

Dennis

nibird2

I hate reading things like this. DH and I have spent several months in France in the last three years, and this is just NOT TRUE!!!! We have been treated so well everywhere we go, seriously. This rumor about the French hating the Americans is just bunk. When we spent a week in Normandy last year, we ran into a lady walking her dog and struck up a conversation. When she heard we were American, she was thrilled to meet us! We have discovered a small town that we just love in the very north of Brittany and have returned twice to visit. The owner of our small hotel said that less than 5% of his guests are American but he is always excited to host them.

We have never ever encountered one bit of anti-American sentiment in all of our visits there, so please do not perpetuate this myth.

On another note, I never advocate ship's tours, but in this instance it may be the best option, especially considering the small and easily congested roads. For anyone who has not been to the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach, I can't recommend it highly enough. It makes a beautiful eternal resting place.

OP, I am very happy for you, and glad that you are so appreciative of being in Normandy on that anniversary.

We used Overlord Tours last year from Le Havre to see the D-Day sights (and Overlord was great), but I think your concerns about congestion, etc. and your thoughts about using a ship's tour to eliminate any worry about getting back may be well founded on this one particular day.

I am also a history buff, and it was so incredibly moving to visit this part of France. My dad was in the infantry during WWII and landed in Marseille in 1944, then marched across France and Germany. At the end of the war, he was mustered out of France from Le Havre, so it was an added bonus for me to be there as well.

I've seen the same thing in posts in other threads. I think it may be an automatic computer edit -- certain words cannot appear here in CC. As to this word, I think that's ridiculous when it is being used not to insult someone but as an historical reference.

I hate reading things like this. DH and I have spent several months in France in the last three years, and this is just NOT TRUE!!!! We have been treated so well everywhere we go, seriously. This rumor about the French hating the Americans is just bunk. When we spent a week in Normandy last year, we ran into a lady walking her dog and struck up a conversation. When she heard we were American, she was thrilled to meet us! We have discovered a small town that we just love in the very north of Brittany and have returned twice to visit. The owner of our small hotel said that less than 5% of his guests are American but he is always excited to host them.

We have never ever encountered one bit of anti-American sentiment in all of our visits there, so please do not perpetuate this myth.

For us there are several factors:

1. Would this person be as rude in the US? The cab driver who tried to rip us off in Marseille was rude...but I would expect that a cab driver ripping me off would be rude anywhere, in any country. The gendarme that helped us with the rude cab driver was wonderful.

2. Are we in the city where the pace is faster, versus the countryside? San Francisco is a great place...but don't get in the way of commuters on a train or sidewalk! In the country, there's no rush hour, so no rush. People are calmer. Mostly true anywhere you travel.

3. Effort. If I make no effort to learn even the most basic parts of their language, customs or mannerisms, and have an expectation that, as I'm a tourist, they should help me, I can imagine a less than stellar reception. A little humility and gratitude goes a long way.

These three assumptions/attitudes have served me well in many countries.

Andrew

On another note, I never advocate ship's tours, but in this instance it may be the best option, especially considering the small and easily congested roads. For anyone who has not been to the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach, I can't recommend it highly enough. It makes a beautiful eternal resting place.

Everyone has different experiences. Ours in France are not good but glad yours are. We must have just gone to different places. We have been to a hotel where the clerk asked the manager "they are Americans should we give them a room" and the answer was no. We have been at gas stations where after buying gas they wouldn't give us the key to the bathroom. I could go on but just to say we all have different experiences - your myth is my reality. Happy travels.

For us there are several factors:

1. Would this person be as rude in the US? The cab driver who tried to rip us off in Marseille was rude...but I would expect that a cab driver ripping me off would be rude anywhere, in any country. The gendarme that helped us with the rude cab driver was wonderful.

Andrew

Good points, Andrew. And as a counterpoint, we took a cab from the ship in Marseille to a rental car location. As we were processing the paperwork, the clerk got a phone call--from our cab driver! He had found DH's camera on the floor of the cab! He had already picked up a fare to do a day-long trip to Aix, but waited for us at a certain roundabout so we could make the exchange. His name, which we still remember, was Thierry Gibbier. So, to your point, there are good and bad people everywhere; there just isn't the anti-American sentiment that so many believe exists.

Makes me think back to our first trip to France together, which may have been after the Century cruise we took with you. When we got home, the first thing many people asked us about was how we were treated by the French. We had to stop and think about it; I clearly remember thinking, "Oh yeah, that's right. We WERE supposed to be treated badly!" but of course it never happened. And we have stayed in tiny villages, and spent weeks in Paris--treated equally well everywhere. . .

But yesterday, as I was looking again at my itinerary, I saw that our one day in France was on June 6th, the D-Day anniversary. This year is the 70th anniversary of D-Day

We are so delighted to be able visit on this special day and share in the celebrations and reflections of the bravery of those men. but being able to be there on this special anniversary is very special. There can not be too many of these veterans left, but it will be so wonderful to share in these events with them.

Celebrity is offering at least three excursions that include the landing beaches and the Museum

...but please at least consider a small group of 8 in a van with Overlord Tours. We did an all day excursion from Le Havre during Constellation's December transatlantic. They have an excellent website explaining the options and their guides are intimately familiar with the countryside, its roads, and your need to be back at the ship on time.

The knowledge and experience of their dedicated tour guides is absolutely mind boggling, and they have access to many places you will NOT see on a large tour.

The small vehicle will make maneuvering around any traffic much faster, easier, and more efficient.

The small group setting, and expertise of the guides, may be much more enjoyable than waiting for groups of 40-50 to board a bus.

Thanks to your Dad for his Duty and his Honor, that have given us our Country.

Saying all French people hate Americans is like saying all Americans are crazy a$$holes

Which is 98 % not true , there is always a couple of a$$hole out here :D

Other countries may hate your past and present governments , but very few people hate the individual person

In Paris they do not hate tourist, it just they think of tourist as being insufficient :p

Saying all French people hate Americans is like saying all Americans are crazy a$$holes

Which is 98 % not true , there is always a couple of a$$hole out here :D

Other countries may hate your past and present governments , but very few people hate the individual person

In Paris they do not hate tourist, it just they think of tourist as being insufficient :p

Well I think Americans have it lucky because having spent many years in France in my childhood the French are positively cold towards the English despite our efforts in the 2nd world war. We always try and speak a little french and they look at us like baffoons before reacting with perfect english. They love to see us struggle with the language despite making an effort. There is no love lost between the french and the english. We could of course have left them to the hands of the ( word cruisecritic will remove) n..........a.......z....i....s.....

Rarely have I seen such a positive read turn negative as quickly as this one. The OP's father is a

true American hero like so many of his generation. I'm pleased that the cruise will be meaningful to his family. Why not just be thankful that due to the sacrifices of others we are free to hold whatever opinions, factually supported or not, we wish.

First of all, thanks to everyone for your kind words....

Secondly, I can't believe they bleeped out N.A---Z. I either, considering the context in which it was used! As an aside to this, we are going to Berlin for a day on this cruise. My first time in Germany I am looking forward to it, even though it is another very long day. I am glad this sailing has 5 sea days...we will need it!

Thirdly, we have been to France about 10 times... 3 weeks at a time...have taken the trains, driven to almost every region of France spent weeks in one region or another, and, with the exception of Paris, have always found the people to be gracious and friendly and kind. Our favorite region of all is the Dordogne Valley. That will be our next trip after the cruise (we'll have to wait to accumulate more FF points!)

Parisians , IMHO, don't treat Americans any worst than they treat any other non-Parisians. Like anywhere, I have met some really rude Parisians, like the lady who tormented me by blowing smoke in my face on purpose at dinner, or the lady in the Tourist Office who slammed the CLOSED sign in my face after I patiently waited on line a half hour for a city pass. But we have also met many wonderful and friendly Parisians..

If you want to meet amazingly kind French people, go to the countryside...all of the beautiful little hamlets and villages and small towns all over France.

But that being said, I still think Paris is the most beautiful, wondrous city in the world ,even though a bit of the shine is gone:(

Lastly, I will check out Overlord Tours. Thanks for the recommendation.

I will see what they have to say about by-passing some of the traffic and some of the crowds. Normally I wouldn't think about going there on a ship excursion, but, like I said, I don't know what kind of crowds we might face on those narrow Norman roads.

Thanks again for all of the nice comments.

I love this board!

Robin:)

But that being said, I still think Paris is the most beautiful, wondrous city in the world ,even though a bit of the shine is gone:(

Robin, I'm so happy for you!! Enjoy your visit to Le Havre and the celebrations. BTW, I agree with you, Paris is the most beautiful city in the world. The food, the art, the history... it is wonderful.

Robin, I'm so happy for you!! Enjoy your visit to Le Havre and the celebrations. BTW, I agree with you, Paris is the most beautiful city in the world. The food, the art, the history... it is wonderful.

Thanks so much!

Robin

Lastly, I will check out Overlord Tours. Thanks for the recommendation.

I will see what they have to say about by-passing some of the traffic and some of the crowds. Normally I wouldn't think about going there on a ship excursion, but, like I said, I don't know what kind of crowds we might face on those narrow Norman roads.

Thanks again for all of the nice comments.

I love this board!

Robin: one thing about Overlord Tours (which as I noted above we LOVED): they are a very small group of guides and they book up very quickly. I would imagine that the demand for their services will be even greater on the date you are going. So if it's at all of interest to you, I would highly recommend emailing them now. Also, if you don't get a reply quickly, try again or use another email account or have someone else email them; when a group from my Roll Call was booking, for some reason I was the only person whose emails to them were received.

Also, they are pricey -- same price for one person in their 8-person van as it is for 8, so it's good to have a group.

Whatever you do, have a GREAT day!

Robin: one thing about Overlord Tours (which as I noted above we LOVED): they are a very small group of guides and they book up very quickly. I would imagine that the demand for their services will be even greater on the date you are going. So if it's at all of interest to you, I would highly recommend emailing them now. Also, if you don't get a reply quickly, try again or use another email account or have someone else email them; when a group from my Roll Call was booking, for some reason I was the only person whose emails to them were received.

Also, they are pricey -- same price for one person in their 8-person van as it is for 8, so it's good to have a group.

Whatever you do, have a GREAT day!

You'er right, they are pricey. If a group of 8 could get put together it would be doable, but at over 900 Euros, someone would really need to get a group of a minimum of 6 to make it possible. But their site states that only one person makes the reservation for the group and that person is in charge of collecting the money ahead of time from the rest. Sounds great if a group that is travelling together wanted to go, but it is just my DH and me,.and I would not want to be responsible for coming up with that much cash and then trying to put together a group and have to collect cash in advance from strangers who I don't know and don't know me.

Sounds like a good tour though. I will wait and see how things evolve on the

connections board, and maybe a group can be put together.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Robin

I

Archived