Prescription meds

dpluta

Hi.

Between the wife and I, we have several prescription meds that we need to bring on our cruise. Does anyone have any experiences regarding how strict security is about meds needing to be in its original bottle? It will be a pain (and too bulky) to bring each bottle.

Thanks.

Hi.

Between the wife and I, we have several prescription meds that we need to bring on our cruise. Does anyone have any experiences regarding how strict security is about meds needing to be in its original bottle? It will be a pain (and too bulky) to bring each bottle.

Thanks.

You might have more of an issue if you are flying and if any of the meds are controlled, but the port has never looked at any of DW's meds which she typically carries in a weekly container.

I have never had an issue, but we have always asked our pharmacist for a duplicate label and smaller bottle on the repeat closest to our cruise, so we don't have to carry on the 3-month refill size.

Your pharmacist shouldn't have a problem doing this, it's just an empty bottle with a label.

Enjoy your cruise !

We take ours in the weekly pill box.

We take the original bottle for the controlled meds.

Nobody has ever questioned us about them.

We do the same (weekly pill box + original bottle for controlled substance meds) and have never had a problem at the airport or cruiseport.

My weekly pill box also has a lot of vits. & min. I usually do take the paperwork describing what the pill looks like, dose, etc. for any meds that I absolutely have to have.

My personal opinion as I did have all my bags opened and inspected at the port, if it is a medication you have to have to function or a controlled substance I would keep it in the original bottle. Anything else I would use a pill box.

My personal opinion as I did have all my bags opened and inspected at the port, if it is a medication you have to have to function or a controlled substance I would keep it in the original bottle. Anything else I would use a pill box.

I agree 100%...DH takes controlled substances and we bring them in the original bottles.

Hi==hi

hi.

Between the wife and i, we have several prescription meds that we need to bring on our cruise. Does anyone have any experiences regarding how strict security is about meds needing to be in its original bottle? It will be a pain (and too bulky) to bring each bottle.

Thanks.

hi------regarding your medication----please--please bring your medicine in the original bottle-----i have seen horror stories of people who misjudged the amount--or dropped or lost a pill and could not refill---so------bring the bottle---irene and john--57 cruises on carnival---

I actually get my meds from Caremark in the 90 days supply incredibly huge bottles. Was able to fill the same meds at a local CVS who was able to fit every script in a small bottle with a label.

My fiance' gets them from Medco and the bottles are a lot smaller, and I don't know why Caremark likes to waste plastic but they do.

I have been on a cruise and trips to Mexico and I would never go on either without my prescriptions in scripted bottles. I have heard many horror stories about people locked up in jail over "suspicious drugs". Also, you can buy many drugs at ports and in the airports and have heard people being questioned when coming back in the states for more pills than what the script was for.

You can take a chance if you like, but for me...no WAY. I don't want the extra worry when coming back in the states.

I take my vitamins in weekly dose trays. Prescribed meds are in original bottles. I usually take an extra week or two of the prescription meds in case of emergency!

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

My wife takes hers in one of those weekly pill boxes. And just to be safe, she takes an itemized list of everything she takes just in case someone asks, although that has yet to happen.

I do the same but I take twice as much as I need in case of travel delays...

I have never had a problem on a cruise or flying to Europe or Costa Rica. Anything questionable or easily portable like cold tablets, I do leave in the container...

Hi.

Thanks.

The law clearly states: "any prescription medication especially a controlled medication must be carried in its original container with your name and labeled as such from the issuing pharmacy"

I really don't know what security would do but why take a chance of having it taken especially if you need it.

My other point is this....if you are traveling in the U.S. to get to the ship and you are stopped by a police officer they "can" by law arrest you for carrying a controlled medication without the proper container and identification. You said it was for pain and I assume it may be a narcotic....I would keep them in the original bottle.

I too will have to take something for pain due to a blown disc in my neck.

I usually keep an old bottle and split the prescription between the two of them. In case you lose one of them you at least have others to carry you through.

Good luck!

As a pharmacist---albeit a hospital pharmacist--- I have some community experience.

Please, please, please take your original containers. Especially for the narcotics. You don't want a rogue police officer trying to make an example out of you and wasting hours/night of your time confirming you are actually prescribed the drug. Also it's much easier for the pharmacist to "transfer" or "get a copy" of the Rx if you have the original container (albeit this would be for US vacation/ports only).

1. I always bring more than a weeks supply because you never know what may happen.

2. I always travel with everything in original containers. It has solved at least one issue of being stopped and my bags checked. Not sure I really want to be spending hours explaining that it is a vitamin and waiting for someone to confirm it

Hi.

Thanks.

Hi, You are asking a very simple question, and will get two simple answers. My question to you, is more complicated. How much do they weigh? My wife has about 10 and she carries them. My next question is what is the law? You did not ask for that. The other question is what would happen if you lost you "pill" box with everything in it, as opposed to one pill bottle? What about if you need it for onboard the ship to refill. They have some limited supplies. What about if you need an ermergency refill in port? Does not matter if 50,000 people were not asked. All it takes is for you to be asked.

So this isn't a question for a message board. You will find the answer by looking at the laws, and rules of each country you visit, and determine what risk factor you are willing to take for the sake of saving a 1/2 pound or less of weight.

Archived