Visa for Turkey

I apologize in advance if this information has already been posted. Someone on our roll call (Celebrity Constellation, Sept. 25, 2013) posted this web site regarding procurement of visas on-line, eliminating the need to do so upon entry (e.g., Istanbul Ataturk Airport).

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

I haven't gotten ours yet, but will do so. No need to stand in another line.

We will be going to Istanbul next week and the eVisa sounds like a great way to go. But, I see on the website that it may not be accepted 😧. I would hate to pay the $20 each and then have to repay.

Can someone please explain the procedure for obtaining a VISA at the airport?

Is there paperwork to be completed? Or is it only a matter of handing over your passport with some cash?

Thanks.

It is incredibly easy to just get your visa upon arrival at the airport. There is a line to get visas before you go through immigration (passport control) that you can't miss. For a US citizen you just hand over your passport and your $20. You will then receive a sticker in your passport and can continue on to immigration.

I would never pay anyone any extra $$ to do this in advance.

We will be going to Istanbul next week and the eVisa sounds like a great way to go. But, I see on the website that it may not be accepted 😧. I would hate to pay the $20 each and then have to repay.

Can someone please explain the procedure for obtaining a VISA at the airport?

Is there paperwork to be completed? Or is it only a matter of handing over your passport with some cash?

Thanks.

It is simply a matter of presenting your passport and paying the prescribed amount in cash (USD, Euro, GBP). You get a visa sticker in your passport and then proceed to the immigration/passport control line. However, the new eVisa would allow you to go straight to the passport control line and thus avoid the visa line (which does move fairly fast).

It is incredibly easy to just get your visa upon arrival at the airport. There is a line to get visas before you go through immigration (passport control) that you can't miss. For a US citizen you just hand over your passport and your $20. You will then receive a sticker in your passport and can continue on to immigration.

I would never pay anyone any extra $$ to do this in advance.

This price is the same whether you do it on-line or at the airport.

Not quite.....for UK it is £10 at the airport but on line they charge $20 which works out at around £13. However for cruises like ours that end in Turkey this is a lot cheaper than the $50 that the cruise line wants to charge.

Not quite.....for UK it is £10 at the airport but on line they charge $20 which works out at around £13. However for cruises like ours that end in Turkey this is a lot cheaper than the $50 that the cruise line wants to charge.

I checked the price for US citizens and it is $20 on line and also at the airport.

Forgive me for being naive....but I did not think US citizens had to obtain a visa to visit Turkey. This past Dec we cruised to Kasudasi(sp) and went to Ephesus and never once did anyone even mention a visa. We didnt get one at any rate.

Doug

Forgive me for being naive....but I did not think US citizens had to obtain a visa to visit Turkey. This past Dec we cruised to Kasudasi(sp) and went to Ephesus and never once did anyone even mention a visa. We didnt get one at any rate.

Doug

You don't need a visa if you are visited a port in Turkey on a cruise ship (e.g., a port call where you are not embarking or disembarking).

However, if you enter the country to embark on a cruise, or if your cruise ends in Turkey and you have to fly out, you will need to obtain a visa.

As others have said, it's a pretty painless process at the airport. A little less clear cut if disembarking from a ship.

We have never lined up more than about two minutes to obtain the visa at Istanbul airport. Plus, the visa area is between the gate and the baggage area. So, if you have bags to claim you either wait at the Visa area, or the baggage area, or both if the bags are slow coming down. I would never bother with pre buying a visa-much easier to get it when you arrive.

If you want to get wine prior to boarding, the best place-price and selection, is the duty free liquor store in the baggage claim area. I think that you are allowed to bring two bottles each into the country. We have found the selections and prices of wine in stores in Turkey to be poor.

The cost of the Visa is contingent on your nationality. It is actually a mirror of what your home country charges Turkish citizens to enter your home country. For we Canadians, it is, as I recall, $60. Americans pay $20, not certain about UK citizens. When we travel within Turkey and pass through domestic airports, the officials always check to see if we have a valid visa in our passports.

The cost of the Visa is contingent on your nationality. It is actually a mirror of what your home country charges Turkish citizens to enter your home country. For we Canadians, it is, as I recall, $60. Americans pay $20, not certain about UK citizens.

It's £10 for UK citizens.

I'm another one who wouldn't bother purchasing a visa online. I visit Turkey every year and have never waited for more than a couple of minutes.

• 5 weeks later...

We are Canadian citizens who are flying to Istanbul this Nov to board our ship Oceania Riviera. Oceania charges $99 per visa however now I see on this cruise critic blog that we can arrange for our own visas at the airport (?) Can a fellow Canadian please post their experience with this? If it is really that simple - we would much rather get our own visas at the airport. Thank you from Victoria BC

• 3 weeks later...

We are from Ontario and went to Turkey in June 2013. Spent 2 days in Istanbul prior to our cruise. We got our visa online I think that they will be eventually doing it all online. Canadians pay $60.00 USD pp for the visas. It was very quick, then you can go directly to the passport control at the Istanbul airport. There were people there is line that didn't have their visas and had to go back and get them.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Enjoy your cruise

Archived