Muster on Solstice

gregjm

We were on the Solstice for the May 17th sailing to Alaska. It was our third time on the Solstice.

The fire on RCCL's Grandeur of the Seas last evening gave me pause considering the muster drill that we had attended on Solstice when we boarded on the 17th of May.

I think Celebrity needs to rethink their muster process on the Solstice. In our case we were assigned muster station C1, which is Michael's Club. We arrived on time to the drill and found Michael's Club with standing room only. The drill is actually a video that was shown on one small screen that was totally out of view of the majority of the guests. There were many guests who were confused (especially first timers) and there was only ONE staff person inside Michael's Club to provide any information.

Also, during the bulk of the drill there were MANY guests that continued talking so loudly that you could not hear the video. At the very least, X should have more staff in each station to quiet the crowd when the video starts.

As we were leaving several people said they had no idea where they would exit if there was an emergency.

Lastly, I know I may be in the minority but I think that eliminating the need to attend the muster drill with a life vest diminishes the effectiveness of the drill and lessens guest awareness of what to do in an emergency.

Completely agree with comments about needing more staff who will enforce the no talking during the drill rule, however, disagree with this comment:

"Lastly, I know I may be in the minority but I think that eliminating the need to attend the muster drill with a life vest diminishes the effectiveness of the drill and lessens guest awareness of what to do in an emergency."

Because it turns out that having the passengers wear the life vests was a greater hazard than you might imagine -- passengers couldn't see where they were walking and tripped over the raised thresholds, and also tripped on the long "strings" left dangling from the life jackets.

Only a video in Michael's Club? We've been on 8 cruises on Celebrity and 2 on Azamara and the muster drills have always been very professional and well organized. I agree that it's nice that we no longer have to drag along the life jackets, but I think we should still have to actually proceed to the real spot on the deck where you would board a lifeboat. Hopefully they can at least quiet people down or heaven help the first timers. We're going on our first (and maybe last because we really like Azamara) Solstice cruise in August from Seattle to Alaska. I'll let you know if anything has changed/improved.

To the OP .... Make sure that you advise Celebrity of the exact date and time of this occurrence on the Solstice. The talking has to be stopped. Staff should have done this.

Just off a HAL ship and went through the complete drill (without life jackets) on outside deck.

I'm of a mixed mind on going out onto the deck but it really couldn't hurt.

HAL ship did not have suitable accommodation for persons to gather prior to going to the Life boat stations. X has always gathered in a public room and then gone out in years past. But the later practice stopped several yrs ago also.

Even outside with all quiet as it should be, half the folks could not see the life jacket demo from their cramped positions behind taller folks so it really is a toss up.

I also think that taking the jackets to a drill causes more issues than it is worth.

Not too different from flying. People don't watch the demo or video, talking throughout and the flotation device is under the seat (or the seat).

The staff should stop the talking but I agree with the practice of not brining your life jackets. I prefer they not be in staterooms too.

Odds are you'll likely be someplace other than your stateroom if an emergency occurred. Everybody running back to their staterooms in an emergency would create more havoc.

Completely agree with comments about needing more staff who will enforce the no talking during the drill rule, however, disagree with this comment:

"Lastly, I know I may be in the minority but I think that eliminating the need to attend the muster drill with a life vest diminishes the effectiveness of the drill and lessens guest awareness of what to do in an emergency."

Because it turns out that having the passengers wear the life vests was a greater hazard than you might imagine -- passengers couldn't see where they were walking and tripped over the raised thresholds, and also tripped on the long "strings" left dangling from the life jackets.

So what happens in a real emergency? Do these same passengers suddenly figure out how to don a life jacket?

In the event of an emergency the muster station is the place to go. Passengers would be led out to the lifeboats in an orderly manner, rather than having a crowd of people scrambling to get on. At every muster drill we have attended there have been a number of staff in evidence, although only one does the talking. I agree that conversation should be eliminated so that everyone can hear the announcements.

We have shivered through a drill on the open deck on HAL, and don't think this is any more efficient, and many conversations were still going on.

I agree that passengers should be quiet during the presentation.

On the other hand:

The video is also available in a multitude of languages on the TV system.

If you're unsure or confused about something, ask any crew member. They will either help you or refer you to someone who can.

Is there anyone who truly believes that an adult couldn't figure out how to put on a life jacket? The ones on a cruise ship are pretty fool-proof.

Harris

Denver, CO

I agree the staff should make sure everyone is paying attention, and that the crowding is managed effectively.

However, bringing our life jacked in my opinion is a safety hazard, not only to you but the people around you. In days of old when we did bring our life jackets to the muster station, I saw numerous people trip on the ties, and others stumble because the life jacket impeded their view. I think we need to take some personal responsibility for our own safety and if we don't know the proper way to put on the life jacket, ASK. One suggestion, try it on in your stateroom and if you have a concern, ask your Steward.

As to the matter of assembling at "your" lifeboat, there is no "assigned" lifeboat for any of us. Think about it for a moment or two. Recall the pictures of the Costa Concordia listing heavily with lifeboats not able to be lowered from one side because the ship was tilted so far. If they did assign lifeboats, and yours couldn't be launched because of a list, would you understand better then why there are no "assigned" lifeboats?

In an evacuation situation, the crew will move people from the inside muster station to a safe lifeboat for evacuation. The inside muster station is the safe area, and much much less risky in an emergency situation. Try asking the people who are on the Grandeur of the Seas now if they would rather have mustered indoors in relative comfort or outside as they did for several hours.

I think the way Celerity manages the Muster Drill is effective and appreciate their commitment to the safety of all their passengers. Where improvement should be focused is making sure people pay attention and address the overcrowding.

Agreed. Sailing on the Solstice within a few weeks.

On our last X sailing (Millie) all was quiet during our demo. At least from half the passengers. One of the dancers was demonstrating the use of a lifejacket.

I agree that passengers should be quiet during the presentation.

On the other hand:

The video is also available in a multitude of languages on the TV system.

If you're unsure or confused about something, ask any crew member. They will either help you or refer you to someone who can.

Is there anyone who truly believes that an adult couldn't figure out how to put on a life jacket? The ones on a cruise ship are pretty fool-proof.

Harris

Denver, CO

The information needed is typically on the back of the door, and as you mentioned, on the TV in many different languages. People who don't look this information up are probably the same people who would be talking or ignoring the muster presentation. For these people, there is no way you will force them to be aware of the procedures when they can't be bothered to care about them in the first place. These people scare the heck out of me because they would be the ones panicking, getting in everyone's way, and forcing themselves to the front of the crowds at lifeboats they aren't supposed to be climbing on.

gregjm wrote

I think Celebrity needs to rethink their muster process on the Solstice. In our case we were assigned muster station C1, which is Michael's Club. We arrived on time to the drill and found Michael's Club with standing room only. The drill is actually a video that was shown on one small screen that was totally out of view of the majority of the guests. There were many guests who were confused (especially first timers) and there was only ONE staff person inside Michael's Club to provide any information.

I think mustering on deck is a better idea. First, I want to know where the lifeboat is located (yes, in a major emergency I might have to go to another one but at least I know how to get from my cabin to the lifeboat). Second, I think there would be less talking than if people were crowded into a room. My last cruise was on Disney and we gathered on deck by the lifeboat. We lined up by cabin numbers. There were at least 4 members of the crew with each lifeboat. The only talking we had was a group of 4 who didn't speak English as a first language who felt they could talk through the directions in their own language. They were quickly shushed by the crew. Even the kids (and since it was Disney there were a lot of them) were well behaved.

BTW, back in 2005 we mustered on deck with out life jackets on Celebrity.

we did a BTB on the Solstice last year, both, the TA and the rt eastern Med muster drills were held inMichael's Pub. I too think that it was a terrible venue to hold it, 1/2 of the people could not see / hear the video.

As the ships have gotten larger there simply is not enough space to line everyone up on deck, wearing life jackets, as the procedure once was.

If a person doesn't know what to do in case of emergency there are hundreds of crew members to ask. The instructions are on the back of the cabin door. If you don't know how to get to the lifeboats, ask and find out.

Although all of our muster drills on X have been held in indoor venues, almost all of our RC drills were held on the lifeboat deck (don't know about Oasis/Allure, though). Although standing elbow-to-elbow in the hot sun (usually waiting for the inevitable stragglers) can get old in a hurry, I always appreciated knowing the exact spot where we would be evacuated, if necessary. In in the video drills held in the lounges/restaurants, they just tell you that you'll be led from there to your lifeboats -- sometimes, not even on the same deck as the muster station. :confused:

One change I did heartily applaud was eliminating the life-jackets from the muster drill. In the years we had to take them to the drill, I tripped over that sea of dragging straps more than once -- and many people got hurt doing that. If you want to try on your life vest in the privacy of your cabin, it's pretty easy to figure out -- and the cabin steward will be happy to help you, if there is a problem. Have to admit -- I do miss the good old days of looking around to see who would be silly enough to put that whistle in their mouth, without having any clue where it might have been! ;)

Just out of curiosity - if you don't have your life jacket (and we've been to both - with and w/o life jacket muster drills) - how does the crew know you actually showed up? the life jacket has the cabin # on it and I recall on Celebrity - they were able to take attendance by reading each life jacket.

I do think the muster drills should be outside on the deck by the life boats so we know where to go in the emergency, but there has to be a better way than lining people up in rows starting from the back in the order in which they show up. I'm a 5'2" claustrophobic so I can't see what is happening and start getting sweaty and panicky standing there amongst people so close together.

On the cruise I just got back from we were directed from our muster stations into the theatre, which Imo caused alot of confusion as we were following staff with billboards and it wasn't clear at the end exactly where the real muster station was.

Having said that, I was far more concerned about how long it took to get from Deck 11 to Deck 4 down a staircase behind a sea of elderly people. In a real emergency I can only hope that cruise ships don't sink quickly.

...As to the matter of assembling at "your" lifeboat, there is no "assigned" lifeboat for any of us. Think about it for a moment or two. Recall the pictures of the Costa Concordia listing heavily with lifeboats not able to be lowered from one side because the ship was tilted so far. If they did assign lifeboats, and yours couldn't be launched because of a list, would you understand better then why there are no "assigned" lifeboats?

In an evacuation situation, the crew will move people from the inside muster station to a safe lifeboat for evacuation. The inside muster station is the safe area, and much much less risky in an emergency situation. Try asking the people who are on the Grandeur of the Seas now if they would rather have mustered indoors in relative comfort or outside as they did for several hours.

I think the way Celerity manages the Muster Drill is effective and appreciate their commitment to the safety of all their passengers. Where improvement should be focused is making sure people pay attention and address the overcrowding.

Excellent answer. I think that if they lead people to life boat stations that people would presume that they could or should head there in the event of an emergency causing major problems and confusion. In a real evacuation a substantial portion of the people would probably NOT be evacuated on lifeboats at all but rather through evacuation chutes. They don't even mention these during the muster drills - probably because they don't want people rushing to these and crowding around them causing confusion and logjams in an emergency. If you're curious about these Google Viking Evacuation Chutes and the next time you're on a ship note the orange doorway type device out on the hump promenade area just outside of Cafe al Bacio. When viewed from the outside, like in photos of the ships, these looks like a big off white boxes - one on each side of the ship along the hump area.

Just out of curiosity - if you don't have your life jacket (and we've been to both - with and w/o life jacket muster drills) - how does the crew know you actually showed up? the life jacket has the cabin # on it and I recall on Celebrity - they were able to take attendance by reading each life jacket....

They take attendance now checking you off a list after asking your name and cabin number and inspecting your sea pass.

...I do think the muster drills should be outside on the deck by the life boats so we know where to go in the emergency....

The precise reason they do not take you outside by the lifeboats during the muster drill is so that you will know where to go in an emergency. As explained above this is not a specific lifeboat station and the last thing everyone needs in an emergency is a lot of people ending up in the wrong place at the wrong time. What they need is everyone heading to central locations near multiple evacuation options to await instructions.

"Just out of curiosity - if you don't have your life jacket (and we've been to both - with and w/o life jacket muster drills) - how does the crew know you actually showed up? the life jacket has the cabin # on it and I recall on Celebrity - they were able to take attendance by reading each life jacket."

Now they have all staterooms listed and a crew member checks you off. If you happen to get missed, as happened to friends of mine last week, you are sent a letter to your stateroom with further instructions.

"I do think the muster drills should be outside on the deck by the life boats so we know where to go in the emergency,"

Your muster station is where to go in an emergency. Not the outside deck -- the inside muster station.

" but there has to be a better way than lining people up in rows starting from the back in the order in which they show up. I'm a 5'2" claustrophobic so I can't see what is happening and start getting sweaty and panicky standing there amongst people so close together."

Precisely what happened in yesterday's fire situation. Some people fainted from the stress while standing out on the deck in their life jackets. The better way to handle a muster drill is to do so inside, at the assigned muster stations, especially as ships have gotten larger and carry more passengers than can fit out on the decks, donned in life jackets, the former procedure.

Something that was mentioned during a question and answer session on board Reflection last year was that the ship carry's three times the number of life vests needed to evacuate all passengers. 1) There are the ones in your stateroom - enough for the capacity of that stateroom, regardless of how many are actually sharing that room at the time. 2) There are more in the muster area - enough for the occupants of every stateroom assigned to that area. 3) And yet more near the life boats - enough for the capacity of the lifeboat.

They DO NOT want passengers to go back to their staterooms if an emergency is called. The last thing they need is for people getting themselves into serious trouble trying to go below to their staterooms, or getting in the way of the evacuation of people already there. DO NOT go back there. Go to your muster station. In a serious emergency, nothing in your stateroom is worth risking your life for.

Archived