Boring cruises over Christmas/NYE period

Is it me or are the cruises over the Christmas/NYE period for all cruise lines sailing out of any Australia/NZ port boring. I've had a look at all of them and nothing inspires me.

Are these cruise lines coming down in their masses and flooding the market with the same insipid cruises.

Is it me or are the cruises over the Christmas/NYE period for all cruise lines sailing out of any Australia/NZ port boring. I've had a look at all of them and nothing inspires me.

Are these cruise lines coming down in their masses and flooding the market with the same insipid cruises.

They have a captive overseas market who want to escape the Northern Winter and don't know any difference about the ports of call on offer.

Only the smaller, more expensive, ships offer anything exciting.

Its not you, we have also been looking at a doing a Christmas/ New Year cruise, and yes they are some what boring (Mind you we would not mind been up in the Pacific for Christmas), or expensive! and most of them are just doing cruise that cover just Christmas or New Year not both and the only cruise line that is doing a cruise that cover both Christmas and New Year is very expensive!

Its not you, we have also been looking at a doing a Christmas/ New Year cruise, and yes they are some what boring (Mind you we would not mind been up in the Pacific for Christmas), or expensive! and most of them are just doing cruise that cover just Christmas or New Year not both and the only cruise line that is doing a cruise that cover both Christmas and New Year is very expensive!

The Diamond Princess does one the covers both Christmas and New Year. Is that the one you were thinking of?

We too are looking for something to do over the Christmas period. From what I can see one of the issues is that there are so many public holidays - lots of places are closed - i.e. one cruise is in Melbourne on Christmas day - not too much will be open I wouldn't imagine.

We too are looking for something to do over the Christmas period. From what I can see one of the issues is that there are so many public holidays - lots of places are closed - i.e. one cruise is in Melbourne on Christmas day - not too much will be open I wouldn't imagine.

That is interesting. Usually cruises plan to be at sea for Christmas day, for that reason.

Will be a shock for any overseas visitors with our loadings on public holidays, as many think Australia is expensive already!

Which cruise is that. I know the one I'm looking at (Diamond Princess has 25 December at sea. The Dawn Princess has 25 December cruising the Fiordland and the Sun Princess is in Akaroa on the 25 December.

I can recommend the Diamond Princess for Christmas onboard. Unfortunately I had to get off on Christmas Eve but was onboard for and Easter and Thanksgiving at different times...the ship looked fabulous...all decked out in wonderful decorations.

Sue

The Christmas cruise would be aiming for a lot of families while the New Year's Eve cruise is normally the most expensive and aims for revellers. It's a good pay day for the cruise lines. There seems to be an oversupply of cruises to the South Pacific as they figure Christmas cruisers want beaches while New Years cruisers are split between beaches and nz. The problem I have with the Christmas cruises on offer is that most cruise lines are charging too much for the third or fourth passengers in a cabin and making it too expensive for families.

Princess has twin for 1899 and quad for 1830, RCI is 1322/1317, carnival balcony is 2327/2232. That means two twin cabins are almost the same as a quad share but quad share has half the space. Bad value quad share this Christmas. Even p&o the quad share kings are 1499/1399. Normally I would expect quad share to give you a 10-30% discount on ticket prices.

The Diamond Princess does one the covers both Christmas and New Year. Is that the one you were thinking of?

No, it's Holland America on the Oosterdam.

I think they should ALL plan their itineraries to be at sea on Christmas Day.

I agree.

Which cruise is that. I know the one I'm looking at (Diamond Princess has 25 December at sea. The Dawn Princess has 25 December cruising the Fiordland and the Sun Princess is in Akaroa on the 25 December.

Cruise that's in Melbourne on Christmas day is Celebrity Solstice.

We are on the Dawn Princess over Christmas & New Year - and we knew it wouldn't be cheap - but both holiday days are at sea - and that suited us. We booked last September two cabins - us and the grand kids (teens) we had to consider the allotted number of teens allowed - so we got in quick. I would have nose bleed if I thought of the cost - but paying weekly - it's all paid for. Now working on the OBC - which we are pre paying the same way - flights are booked an paid for - and breaking it all up into "bite size" pieces - has made it easier - don't feel the pinch at all.

Hubby & I are booked on the NY cruise on Voyager of the Seas. Will be nice to experience something diffent for NYE. Will be first time going overseas for my hubby, and will be my first time to the places that are our ports of call .... NZ, Fiji and New Caledonia.

What would be your suggestions for a better itinerary?

I dont look on them as boring or insipid.

They are after all limited to the ports that can accept them.

Compared to the rest of the world I think we do very well down here.

The Americans dont get much choice on the West Coast...same old same old Mexican ports.

The Americans dont get much choice in the Caribbean...same old same old...Eastern or Western Caribbean this year?

We have done the Au/NZ run a few times now...never been bored and always found something different to do at each port of call.....even if it is staying on the ship all day.....we did that once and it was fun having the ship to ourselves.

Also , and this is the trend for the bored cruise passengers overseas , the ships are reinventing themselves and adding new and adventurous attractions such as Rock Climbing Walls, and making the ship a destination in itself.

At least cruising gives you the chance to move around a bit, unlike a boring old land based holiday.....imagine going to the same beach year after year ..:D

Its just bad luck and a bad time of the year to be on holidays. Personally I would not book a cruise over Christmas. It is not the best time to be travelling. I would rather be at home with family over the period. That said it would be difficult to for the cruise line to orgainise cruises like that. Any public holiday the ports they visit is not really going to want to have people working to look after the passengers and organise tours etc. The crew are also away from their family and friends and are still forced to work. Even on land it is a hectic time of the year for anything. I cant imagine it being any less hectic for the cruise lines.

What would be your suggestions for a better itinerary?

More South Pacific options. Maybe mix it up with some runs up to Asia i.e Singapore and back. Far too many around NZ itinerary's. Especially out of Melbourne. That was a big complaint from some of the cruisers on the Dawn Princess over Christmas that there wasn't enough variety and how many times can you go around NZ.

I'm sure, if I want to book something over Christmas this year, I can probably find a cruise. It just struck me at first glance at the itinerary's, that its same ole, same ole.

Any cruise is better than no cruise. At the right price, of course! :D

If I had to pick an itinerary at the moment to book over Christmas/NYE break then I'm leaning towards the Diamond Princess on 23 December.

Archived