how aware are ship's excursions of the real world?

robinlynn

Since it is still a year away, I am going to just make a leap of faith and just sit tight and keep my ship excursion. Will contact X down the road, but doubt if I will get any info from them this far out about any specifics.

Hopefully more info may become available as things get closer.

Maybe some activity will start on the roll call for my sailing, and I will find out more about other options. So far, my roll call is the least active of any for next summer's Europe's sailings, but it is still early.

Thanks again for all the observations and advice. You have all been great!:D

Robin

Since it is still a year away, I am going to just make a leap of faith and just sit tight and keep my ship excursion. Will contact X down the road, but doubt if I will get any info from them this far out about any specifics.

Maybe some activity will start on the roll call for my sailing, and I will find out more about other options. So far, my roll call is the least active of any for next summer's Europe's sailings, but it is still early.

Robin

Hi Robin, good morning....your last paragraph? Please don't feel like

your roll call call is the "least active":eek:.....I booked a cruise for next

May (to the Med) and the roll call is barely active too....it is a long

ways out.....;)

Robin

I recommended calling them in an earlier post and I would do that as soon as possible. IF it is cancelled at least this far out you may be able to make other arrangements. The worst thing I would fear is getting on the ship and having them tell you the tour is cancelled for the same reason you knew a year before. I believe however that chances are when you mention it, whoever answers the phone is going to ask you what D-day is.

We have friends from the UK who participate in WWII related events as re-enactors (they have an ambulance from that period that they drive to events all over Europe), and who plan to participate in the anniversary events in Normandy. They were mentioning earlier this year that the 70th anniversary is going to be one of the biggest ever to make it especially memorable for the soldiers who are fast "aging-out" (their description), and whose numbers are rapidly dwindling.

Unless the operator of any tour to the area has made special arrangements, I imagine the events on that particular day will require them to re-route the itinerary not just because of the expected crowds, but because of the security measures for the protection of dignitaries who might be in attendance.

Personally, I'd keep the booking (doubtful you'll get a straight answer from anyone as to what they will do that day this far out), but be prepared with alternative plans just in case.

You are getting an honest answer and I don't know why you would think differently.

There will be dignitaries and vets and their families by the thousands there that day from many countries and if you think a bus load of tourists from a Celebrity (or any other) ship that day will be important enough to move in on all those many ceremonies you are mistaken.

That is a very special day and regular tourists will not play a big part in it by far. I don't think there is anything hard to understand about that.

It is special day, not a day for an hour or two from tourists from ships.

You are getting an honest answer and I don't know why you would think differently.

There will be dignitaries and vets and their families by the thousands there that day from many countries and if you think a bus load of tourists from a Celebrity (or any other) ship that day will be important enough to move in on all those many ceremonies you are mistaken.

That is a very special day and regular tourists will not play a big part in it by far. I don't think there is anything hard to understand about that.

It is special day, not a day for an hour or two from tourists from ships.

I think you missed the whole point of the OPs post. She booked the tour with Celebrity, a private tour operator said they are NOT doing tours that day because they are not permitted into the area. She wants to know if Celebrity's tour operators or Celebrity are aware of these conditions and wants to know if her tour will actually go off. No one said anything about anyones importance but if one tour operator can't operate there than how about the ones Celebrity hires. That is all she is asking, your post obviously does not understand that and was a bit snarky when a legitimate question was asked.

I think you missed the whole point of the OPs post. She booked the tour with Celebrity, a private tour operator said they are NOT doing tours that day because they are not permitted into the area. She wants to know if Celebrity's tour operators or Celebrity are aware of these conditions and wants to know if her tour will actually go off. No one said anything about anyones importance but if one tour operator can't operate there than how about the ones Celebrity hires. That is all she is asking, your post obviously does not understand that and was a bit snarky when a legitimate question was asked.

Thanks. You saved me all that typing!;)

I think you missed the whole point of the OPs post. She booked the tour with Celebrity, a private tour operator said they are NOT doing tours that day because they are not permitted into the area. She wants to know if Celebrity's tour operators or Celebrity are aware of these conditions and wants to know if her tour will actually go off. No one said anything about anyones importance but if one tour operator can't operate there than how about the ones Celebrity hires. That is all she is asking, your post obviously does not that and was a bit snarky when a legitimate question was asked.

No, I didn't misunderstand. However to the point, I don't think Celebrity will be allowed in that area and will just direct the tour to another area. Perhaps some of the Overlord highways and byways along with the beautiful cemeteries along the way. Personally, I would rent a car (which we have done several times to visit Juno Beach) and try to be an observer if at all possible.

Archived