how aware are ship's excursions of the real world?

robinlynn

I was so excited last week when it came to my attention that our Eclipse May 24, 2014 cruise was going to spend its last day at Le Havre on June 6, the 70th anniversary of D-Day. I saw that the ship offered a full day at all of the main commemorative locations for this special day. It was suggested to me that I contact Overlord Tours, a top private company who specialize in these tours.

I did and I just heard back from them that they were not conducting tours at these sites just that day because "everything would be fenced off for the dignitaries who would be there that day".

I don't know what to make of this.

Could the ship's excursions planners be so competent and have enough resources to work around this:rolleyes: or are they that clueless of what is happening in the ports on their itineraries:eek:.

Needles to say, I am very disappointed....

Robin

Apparently the ship didn't have anything scheduled because they referred you to a private company that informed you that there would be no tours. It is not fault of the cruise line. What did you want to do go look at a fenced off areas? The areas were sealed off to visitors, nothing anyone could do about it.

Apparently the ship didn't have anything scheduled because they referred you to a private company that informed you that there would be no tours. It is not fault of the cruise line. What did you want to do go look at a fenced off areas? The areas were sealed off to visitors, nothing anyone could do about it.

Actually the ship is offering 2 different all-day excursions to the landing beaches, one of which I already booked and paid for. That is why I am so disappointed that it is probably undoable. Just wondering at what point Celebrity will realize that they have most likely sold me a tour that will not happen .

No reason to be so nasty.:rolleyes:

I was so excited last week when it came to my attention that our Eclipse May 24, 2014 cruise was going to spend its last day at Le Havre on June 6, the 70th anniversary of D-Day. I saw that the ship offered a full day at all of the main commemorative locations for this special day. It was suggested to me that I contact Overlord Tours, a top private company who specialize in these tours.

I did and I just heard back from them that they were not conducting tours at these sites just that day because "everything would be fenced off for the dignitaries who would be there that day".

Could the ship's excursions planners be so competent and have enough resources to work around this:rolleyes: or are they that clueless of what is happening in the ports on their itineraries:eek:.

Robin

Hi Robin,:) so you are saying you booked a tour with Celebrity but

it is not going to happen?:confused:...that would seem strange for sure...

or you were trying to book one and you won't be able to?:(

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that your tour will have an alternate itinerary -- there is some verbiage in almost all tour descriptions that the areas visited are subject to change, that the order of the tour may be altered due to local conditions, traffic, etc, and basically a lot of "wiggle room" on the part of the tour operator to allow them to substitute the sights seen, places visited and routes taken. So I suspect that the tour will take place, but it might not visit the places you are hoping to see. Or you might not get as close as you would like, or have access to all areas. The private tour operator has made the choice to simply not schedule any tours at all for that day, but I will predict that the Celebrity tour will take place in some shape or form.

Hi Robin,:) so you are saying you booked a tour with Celebrity but

it is not going to happen?:confused:...that would seem strange for sure...

or you were trying to book one and you won't be able to?:(

Hi Lois,

I booked the tour last week, assuming that with it being the 70th anniversary of D-Day, the excursion might fill up fast. But leaving my options open, and since I often use private tours as well, I followed through on a suggestion made by several CC members to contact Overlord Tours, as they highly recommended them due to their experiences with them. I made an inquiry with them and received a reply that they "were not running any tours of the D-Day sites, only on that day, June 6th, since they will be blocked off for security of the participants and dignitaries at the various events."

Needless to say, I was surprised and didn't know what to think. Still don't!:confused:

Robin

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that your tour will have an alternate itinerary -- there is some verbiage in almost all tour descriptions that the areas visited are subject to change, that the order of the tour may be altered due to local conditions, traffic, etc, and basically a lot of "wiggle room" on the part of the tour operator to allow them to substitute the sights seen, places visited and routes taken. So I suspect that the tour will take place, but it might not visit the places you are hoping to see. Or you might not get as close as you would like, or have access to all areas. The private tour operator has made the choice to simply not schedule any tours at all for that day, but I will predict that the Celebrity tour will take place in some shape or form.

I would guess that you are right...just don't know how promising a day it will be...I have been to Normandy on two other trips and they were such moving days, I was hoping this would be incredibly special seeing the veterans who are still alive being honored for their service. My father-in-law landed at Normandy and fought his way all the way to Germany under General Patton, receiving a bronze star along the way. This day would be a special tribute to him as well, as he passed away a few years ago.

I guess we will just hope for the best.

Robin

I would guess that you are right...just don't know how promising a day it will be...I have been to Normandy on two other trips and they were such moving days, I was hoping this would be incredibly special seeing the veterans who are still alive being honored for their service. My father-in-law landed at Normandy and fought his way all the way to Germany under General Patton, receiving a bronze star along the way. This day would be a special tribute to him as well, as he passed away a few years ago.

I guess we will just hope for the best.

Robin

Robin, who suggested to you that you contact Overlord Tours? Did you call Celebrity with your questions about what is planned for the day? It seems like you're getting upset based on what one tour operator told you and while they're a very good tour group, they're certainly not the only one conducting D-Day tours. Just because they're not working that day doesn't mean that all other tour operators are following suit. I know of at least two high school marching bands in the Midwest who are currently doing fund raising for their trips to France to perform on 70th Anniversary of D-Day. Surely they're not performing for the sole benefit of dignitaries and assorted participants--I would expect there to be many, many people in attendance on this important day! Think of all the families like yours who have a personal connection to D-Day. Are they going to be blocked out from visiting? Strictly my opinion, but I think there will be plenty of tours just like the one you've booked (as well there should be). I'm sorry that you got the impression from Overland that tours on that day would be worthless because of all the special events planned for the day. If anything, I think being on a tour on June 6, 2014 would be twice as memorable. It might not be the same type of tour as on any other day simply because of all the extra visitors to Normandy, but a disappointing tour? No, I don't think so.

Actually the ship is offering 2 different all-day excursions to the landing beaches, one of which I already booked and paid for. That is why I am so disappointed that it is probably undoable. Just wondering at what point Celebrity will realize that they have most likely sold me a tour that will not happen .

No reason to be so nasty.:rolleyes:

You have now added information that wasn't in your original post. You didn't write that you booked an excursion thru X. All you wrote was that you contacted another tour company and they said that they will not be having any that day.

If you read what the tour thru X consists of it may not be affected.

Sometimes too many things are read into what is really offered in the tour. That has happened to us a few times, we expected more than what the tour was. Then reading the description after the tour it was exactly as described and not what we thought or wanted it to be.

Hi Lois,

I booked the tour last week, assuming that with it being the 70th anniversary of D-Day, the excursion might fill up fast. But leaving my options open, and since I often use private tours as well, I followed through on a suggestion made by several CC members to contact Overlord Tours, as they highly recommended them due to their experiences with them. I made an inquiry with them and received a reply that they "were not running any tours of the D-Day sites, only on that day, June 6th, since they will be blocked off for security of the participants and dignitaries at the various events."

Needless to say, I was surprised and didn't know what to think. Still don't!:confused:

Robin

Robin

Celebrity shore excursions are run by local tour operators rather than Celebrity itself. They do not offer tours until they have a contract with a local tour operator. From what you have said, there would seem to be three possibilities: either the local tour operator has messed up and the tour will be cancelled; the tour will actually take place with a revised itinerary as another poster has suggested; or the local tour operator used has arranged access the tour operator you contacted has been unable to arrange [often ships' tour have access to tourist sites on days or times they would otherwise be closed]. It is possible, of course, that the various areas are only out of bounds for part of the day and will be accessible once the ceremonies have been completed. It can take a very long time to set up these things but they are usually cleared away very quickly.

Unfortunately, you are unlikely to find out which is the case until you are on board although it may be worth contacting Celebrity to see if you can get a definitive answer. In the absense of such an answer, you could either keep your tour already booked and cancel it on board if, when you speak to the shore excursions staff, you do not like what is proposed or cancel your Celebrity shore excursion and try other local tour operators to see what they can offer.

Sue

Robin

Celebrity shore excursions are run by local tour operators rather than Celebrity itself. They do not offer tours until they have a contract with a local tour operator. From what you have said, there would seem to be three possibilities: either the local tour operator has messed up and the tour will be cancelled; the tour will actually take place with a revised itinerary as another poster has suggested; or the local tour operator used has arranged access the tour operator you contacted has been unable to arrange [often ships' tour have access to tourist sites on days or times they would otherwise be closed]. It is possible, of course, that the various areas are only out of bounds for part of the day and will be accessible once the ceremonies have been completed. It can take a very long time to set up these things but they are usually cleared away very quickly.

Unfortunately, you are unlikely to find out which is the case until you are on board although it may be worth contacting Celebrity to see if you can get a definitive answer. In the absense of such an answer, you could either keep your tour already booked and cancel it on board if, when you speak to the shore excursions staff, you do not like what is proposed or cancel your Celebrity shore excursion and try other local tour operators to see what they can offer.

Sue

There is another (4th) possibility, the X tour may be part of the dignitaries that are allowed in to the fenced off areas.:D

Robin, sorry to read this after all your excitement and our talk of serendipity! But something might still work out. I've travelled on several cruises that were visiting ports at the time of special shore side events, and the ship did coordinate so that passengers could take part. Fingers crossed for you.

Andrew

Well, thanks for all of the interesting and kind takes on this situation.

I will ,of course, keep my excursion booking and hope for the best. It would make sense that some kind of special arrangements must have been made by Celebrity. This sailing is the only Northern European cruise next summer with a stop at LeHavre, hopefully with the fact in mind that it puts us there on June 6.

I will think positive! If not, they will have to make available some additional excursions to other parts of Normandy. It is a gorgeous part of France and if I had to settle for a visit to Honfleur or Etretat,(the only other parts of the region we have not already visited on two previous independent trips..) I would be disappointed, but in the total scheme of things, I guess I could live with it.

;)Thanks again,

Robin

Throwing this out & it's kind of been mentioned, but sometimes the ship tours can get special priveledges. For example when we were in St. Petersburg, something was normally closed the day we were in port, but the ship tours got 'special access' that day. So the tour might have. Some kind of deal worked out.

Why not call Celebrity perhaps the Captains club and inquire as to what the excursion may actually be doing. It could very well be that they are unaware of the situation especially since it is more than a year away. I really can't fault them for that. Perhaps you will get some wheels turning at Celebrity.

Another thought,

"Overlord Tours, a top private company"

may be spouting sour grapes because they were not chosen by X as one of the cruise tour companies. Yes, most time, tours thru the ship are more costly than going private, but we also can get access to things and area's at time others can not.

Throwing this out & it's kind of been mentioned, but sometimes the ship tours can get special priveledges. For example when we were in St. Petersburg, something was normally closed the day we were in port, but the ship tours got 'special access' that day. So the tour might have. Some kind of deal worked out.

That has been my experience as well. The influence of the Celebrity/Royal Caribbean organization is so large that it can often arrange unique and rare opportunities to visit sites around the world that even local tour operators cannot. I would think that since this is a one time only visit to that port, Celebrity has worked out some arrangement.

Although not cruise related, here is an example of special arrangements a large organization can make: in the mid 80s my wife and I toured Egypt for two weeks with a large, well known tour company. They organized visits to the sacred areas of some temples that are rarely seen by anyone due to being high holy places, and even rented out the Great Pyramid for our group one evening so we could hold several celebrations INSIDE the pyramid. This was a very rare occurrence, something that had only been done a very few times before. Something I doubt the local tour companies could have accomplished.

When you are big enough, sometimes you can get special treatment.

Robyn, just to be sure, why don't you call ONE MORE private tour company and inquire about their tours that day?

I totally understand what you're asking about Celebrity understanding what's happening in the real world. They probably contract for all of the tours with each company in one big contract and no one thinks about the odd festivals and ceremonies and closings that go on due to local situations. So I would be as leary as you are. And, honestly, wouldn't they take advantage of the anniversary and offer the fact that they have special access for a special tour and charge extra?

I would check with at least one other operator and see if they say the same thing. Don't tell them what Overlord said, just inquire as to their availability.

Also, I don't think Overlord is in "sour grapes" mode, because they are making money hand-over-fist if you take a look at all of the reviews on Tripadvisor...they're a busy and well-known operation.

This is too important an occasion to leave up to chance with Celebrity's call center.

X does have a huge influence over what is and isn't included on excursions. I have been on several where we have been to special events/areas that the public would not normally get to (these were not always mentioned in the tour description). Have faith, follow it up with X. Remember that X are after your money long term as well as for the short term and as such, will do their best to keep you/people happy.:D

Don't give up hope! On a cruise long ago we were in Barbados for their Independence Day. Everything was closed, and we thought we would be bored, but Celebrity arranged for the two naval ships along side us (one from the US, one from Great Britain) to give tours to Celebrity passengers at no charge. We had a great time!

So, Celebrity does apparently have some sway, and hopefully your tour will be even better than expected!

Robin

I'm the guy that suggested Overlord Tours. If THEY are saying they will not run tours that day, I think it says a LOT about the company. That they will give up the revenue for that day because they KNOW they will not be able to deliver the kind of quality experience they want to be known for. (and that I appreciated) :cool:

It was kind of the same thing in Pearl Harbor on the 50th Anniversary there.

SSSOOO many people, and especially VIPs (the President in that case) completely clogging up the works, that you might want to think about just what kind of experience it would be. :o

I just hope you find satisfaction with whatever happens. Good Luck. ;)

I absolutely agree with Navyrotorhead. This is why I thought calling another tour company might help confirm if any of the locals think they will be able to deliver their usual itinerary.

Another thing might be to try searching the internet for 70th Anniversary Normandy Tours or something similar. Maybe there is some operation out there that has an exclusive to all the sites and sounds of the big day.

Do wait and see. As others have mentioned, I have cruised with a number of lines to numerous countries and have a number of experiences where places were closed to the general public, even other tour operators, but the ship's cruises had arranged for access. A great example was the Hermitage (sp?) in St. Petersburg. Two times it was closed for a holiday but we waltzed right in, much to the disgust of many other tourist, even some on bus tours, who were turned away. This has happened in a number of countries and cities over the years. Yes, maybe you will be excluded, but chances are on your side if my experiences were any example.

Archived