Australian SLANG words for our Overseas visitors!

Bogan = Trailerpark redneck trash, sorta. But they aren't necessarily poor. Indeed, some of the highest in the land are bogans.

A redhead is known as a ranga.

If you are easily offended by non-PC language or don't have a sense of humour then prepare for a rough ride with Aussie slang/vernacular. It's not intended to be rude or offensive, it's just part of the national character not to take these things too seriously and some of them are extremely expressive and funny if you don't get uptight about it.

If you are called an "effn b*^%#¥d" it is either an insult or a term of the utmost respect and affection. The trick is working out which applies!

What???

I have never heard the term 'ranga' before until I read this thread. As a child I recall my father saying a red head was called 'blue', but that was 40 years ago.

And if anyone referred to me as an 'effn' anything I would not consider it anything but what it is - trash talk. No trick needed to decipher that one!

Where do you live to think Australians speak like this?

It all sounds so foreign to me & I consider myself an average Australian.

Low brow humour isn't funny, & it's not a lack of sense of humour that would make anyone cringe at all this gibberish, it's being proud to be Australian & not enjoying having us portrayed as an uneducated, uncouth lot. :rolleyes:

Why some people insist on clinging to this outdated, inaccurate concept that Australians are a slang slinging, swearing & unrefined lot, then wearing it as some sort of badge of honour is beyond me.

Time to grow up people, this is 2013.

While ockerisms are not too common now, the aussie language is constantly evolving. Some trash talk is juvenile, but it is still used and may not necessarily be trashing anyone in particular. :D

Some people may wish aussies to grow up, other may say get with the times.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I have never heard the term 'ranga' before until I read this thread.

Really? Ranga is a very common term for redheads these days - I live in Sydney. I think 'blue' is as you say an old term.

I agree that most of the slang mentioned in this thread is pretty old and not in common usage these days, except in the hearts & minds of people longing for the old days?

As others have said language is constantly evolving. I suggest someone 60 or 70 years old talking with a teenager would perhaps not be able to understand too much. Terms like 'fully sick' or 'my bad' would likely confuse, and there the ones I understand :eek:

Come on aussies come on. This is a fun thread take it the way it is meant. Even our previous Prime Minister asked for " a fair suck of the sauce bottle".

Actually it was 'fair shake of the sauce bottle' (a slightly less crude version?) that Kevin Rudd ended up on You Tube for, obviously a sign it was considered unusual enough for the Prime Minister of our country to get noticed.

Although following on from past Labour Prime Ministers like Bob Hawke it's hardly surprising.

Although to her credit Julia Gillard has mostly managed to have shaken off the ockerish tone of her parties political past & proven to be at least someone that doesn't make you cringe every time she opens her mouth in the international forum.

Yes, I'm sure this can be a fun thread amongst Australians who enjoy slang, but this thread was aimed at informing Americans about how we speak, so based on that agenda, I believe it's important to present the more balanced viewpoint.:)

Anyhow, I'll leave you to enjoy your thread, if I want to get in touch with the slang loving culture I'll seek out some old reruns of 'Prisoner' or some other 1970's 'quality' Australian TV drama.;):D

Come on aussies come on. This is a fun thread take it the way it is meant. Even our previous Prime Minister asked for " a fair suck of the sauce bottle".

I thought it was 'Fair suck of the Sav?' Must be the NSW version of Strine.

Steak and Kidney - Sydney

Brisvegas - Brisbane

Brissy - Brisbane

Tasmania - Tasweiga

Dogs Eye and Horse - Meat Pie and Sauce

Mystery Bag - Meat Pie

Giraffe - Carafe of Wine (I actually said Giraffe on Celebrity Solstice in March, the buffet waiter thought I was nuts.)

Any more?

Edited by NSWP

Yes, I certainly realise that, I was asking where in Australia you live that people use 'effn....something' as a potential term of respect?

Look, I don't condone gratuitous bad language but as usual it's all about context. When we go to the footy at the G (there's a clue where I live) the language can get pretty ripe but its said in good humour and like I say it's sometimes wonderfully inventive and amusing and unless you're a complete wowser - there's another great Aussie term - it's hard to be offended by it. Like I say, context is everything.

Look, I don't condone gratuitous bad language but as usual it's all about context. When we go to the footy at the G (there's a clue where I live) the language can get pretty ripe but its said in good humour and like I say it's sometimes wonderfully inventive and amusing and unless you're a complete wowser - there's another great Aussie term - it's hard to be offended by it. Like I say, context is everything.

The G is another shortened name that the Internationals may know as the MCG or the Melbourne Cricket Ground. A great sporting arena for more than just cricket.:D

What???

I have never heard the term 'ranga' before until I read this thread. As a child I recall my father saying a red head was called 'blue', but that was 40 years ago.

Wow, I can't believe you have never heard of the term 'ranga' for a red head it's in common usage. So is 'ginga' and occasionally 'ginger ninja' but only if you are a friend. :D

I think the term 'blue' is not regularly used any more, but most people still know it's meaning.

Edited by Bella cruiser

I love" "Good thanks" in reply to howa goin? - it has gone world wide - I watch UK programs and they use it now - everyone says "good thanks" - even if their leg is dropping off - and in some cases - in reply to a totally different type question - for example - when someone hasn't listened to what you have said and it is your first sighting of them for the day - like: "Are you here for the whole day? - reply: (because they haven't quite heard what you said - they reply) "Good thanks" - I am sure I am not the only one to come across this. But good thanks is classic - love it.

Edited by dizzy1948

I have a friend from brisbane. He is a complete bogan. It always amuses me when he drinks and starts rambling on using various aussie terms. Also when you ask him to do something he always replies "meh! Can't be bothered." He is a lazy bogan :)

Bogan or not, I often find that in the US or on US cruise ships, we do have a language barrier. Who knew? I agree Ranga is in very common usage,post #2 who spells it wranger appears to not know where it originates from. Generally a term used with affection, can be substituted for Fanta Pants.