Alaska - Skip Ketchikan, full Day in Victoria

We have taken two HAL Alaska cruises R/T from Seattle in the last three years. Both have had similar itineraries culminating with a morning in Ketchikan and then a short evening in Victoria before returning to Seattle. We would greatly prefer bypassing Ketchikan for a full sea day followed by a full day & evening in Victoria before returnng to Seattle. Are we alone in thinking this would be nice?

We have taken two HAL Alaska cruises R/T from Seattle in the last three years. Both have had similar itineraries culminating with a morning in Ketchikan and then a short evening in Victoria before returning to Seattle. We would greatly prefer bypassing Ketchikan for a full sea day followed by a full day & evening in Victoria before returnng to Seattle. Are we alone in thinking this would be nice?

Good idea for repeat cruisers. All first timers want to hit the high points of Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan. Would be nice if they varied the itineraries from ship to ship, from cities like Seattle, where there is more than one ship. Allow longer time in fewer ports maybe. If one takes a whale watching excursion in Juneau, there is usually little time to explore the city to see the cute Orthodox Church or go out to the Shrine of St. Therese or hike up into the rain forest. There is not enough time in Victoria to properly see the gardens and have a leisurely tea at the hotel, since it is so late in the day.

I'd much rather have a full day in Ketchikan and then a full sea day for the last day. I can't think of any reason to even stop in Victoria except the stupid law about needing a foreign port. We wouldn't have gotten off the ship there last week but it was our mother's first time there and we took them to tea. I've been to Ketchikan 5 times and could happily go back every year. You do have to get away from the shopping area by the dock to really see Alaska though.

Victoria's pretty, but I'd rather have Ketchikan too. It was one of my favorite ports in Alaska. In fact, I came home and researched property costs there... Couldn't afford them. ;)

I find Ketchikan pretty much a tourist trap and would rather have the day in Victoria. It would be nice if HAL did it as a full day once per season so people could have a choice.

Roy

I find Ketchikan pretty much a tourist trap

Roy

Huh? We went kayaking in remote Orcas Cove and hiking around Ward Lake, and we saw about 3 other people on these excursions. It sure didn't seem like a tourist trap.

Also, you can certainly have a port day in Ketchikan AND at full day and night in Victoria very easily. Just disembark the ship at Victoria and take the Victoria Clipper back to Seattle the next day (or the following day). The Victoria Clipper is a very pleasant ride, almost like getting another excursion!

<snip>

Also, you can certainly have a port day in Ketchikan AND at full day and night in Victoria very easily. Just disembark the ship at Victoria and take the Victoria Clipper back to Seattle the next day (or the following day). The Victoria Clipper is a very pleasant ride, almost like getting another excursion!

That's a great idea.

I find Ketchikan pretty much a tourist trap and would rather have the day in Victoria. It would be nice if HAL did it as a full day once per season so people could have a choice.

Roy

Have you gone a few blocks beyond the dock area? They've definitely ruined it right there but you don't have to get far to get to actual Alaska.

I would prefer to skip Victoria and stay all day in Ketchikan.

Sept will be our 10th HAL R/T Seattle cruise to AK. Love HAL but would change lines if they remove Ketchikan from the itineraries. :eek:

I would prefer to skip Victoria and stay all day in Ketchikan.

Sept will be our 10th HAL R/T Seattle cruise to AK. Love HAL but would change lines if they remove Ketchikan from the itineraries. :eek:

I agree with you completely, I don't care for Victoria at all. Bill

Why would you want to ditch an Alaska town on an Alaska cruise for Victoria?:confused: I love Ketchikan, been there many times and find something new every time, it's my favourite of the 3 usual ports and I definitely wouldn't want to swap it for Victoria.

This will be my first Alaskan Cruise so I would be disappointed if we skipped Ketchikan. While Victoria is a pretty city and I enjoy strolling around there, I much prefer the idea of actually seeing Alaska.

I too like Ketchikan - it is Alaska after all. One does need to get away from the dock area to see the really neat things about the town. The funnicular up to Cape Fox Lodge and lunch there is one of our favorite things. For those who want a full day in Victoria, other cruise lines do spring and fall coastal cruises that stop for the day there and sometimes Nanaimo which is fun as well. Princess and NCL come to mind - possibly Celebrity.

I would agree, but I've been to Ketchikan 12 times. However, if I were traveling with friends who had not been to Alaska I would hate for them to miss Ketchikan.

It's no different for any itinerary or port we repeat again and again be it Alaska/Canada or Canada/NE or the Caribbean etc

We all have our favorites as well as some ports that seeing once or maybe twice is more than enough to last us forever. :)

We have to pick the itinerary that pleases us the most. There are sometimes impediments that get in the way such as date, availability of cabin we want, air/travel arrangements but pick that which offers the most of what you want. :)

I, too, agree that cruise lines should mix up their Alaska offerings a little bit more. I am not particularly a huge fan of Ketchikan - it is more appropriate for people on their first cruise who want to think they are seeing the "real" Alaska. After several visits there, I would also prefer to spend more time in Victoria, or even Nanaimo, or anywhere that's not the usual Alaska cruise tourist traps. I applaud HAL for bringing back their 14-day itineraries on the Amsterdam. More cruise lines should offer variations on their 7-day itineraries for those of us who have been to the same ports over and over again.

Michael

Since I live in WA, I can easily get to Victoria any time I want, for as long as I want. Much as I like Victoria, it isn't Alaska. Add me to those who wouldn't want to give up Ketchikan. Get outside of the town -- we did a nature walk, and there was nothing touristy about it. :)

As far as I can tell, never having been that far north and west...

Victoria = Real City with real history and real city life

Ketchikan = A small town tarted up to look old-timey in order to exploit its dubious historic nature, and thus attract tourism. I grew up in one of those kind of towns, and don't really want to go to that sort of place when I'm on vacation. FWIW, Bar Harbor on the Canada/NE itineraries strikes me the same way.

Victoria wins, no question.

Ketchikan = A small town tarted up to look old-timey in order to exploit its dubious historic nature, and thus attract tourism.

It didn't used to be that way. I will never forget my first view of Alaska, looking out the cabin window seeing that old town in the mist. I was swept back to the 1890's instantly.

Since then the dock is much further out, and covered with Caribbean jewelry shops. But, you can still get away from it all, and see sights close to what I saw that time so long ago. You just have to work at it a little more, that's all.

Archived