How Regent Compares with Oceania

"We enjoyed the use of the Executive Lounge -- a quiet place to sit and work on the computer, have a cup or coffee or read the paper. It was generally very quiet in there. I avoided it in the morning as my DH verified that guests are not only wearing bathrobes but a woman sat across from him and brushed her teeth."

TC - Although I understand that you enjoy presenting us with a bit of hyperbole from time to time to add some zest to your review, would you be so kind as to confirm your earlier statement that there were pax wearing bathrobes in the Executive Lounge or (major yuck) brushing their teeth there? Isn't there some sort of attendant there who can tell them that their attire (and dental hygiene activity) is not appropriate??!!

Edited by freddie

Caroldoll: Please do not be upset by the posts. They reflect on the poster -- not on me or PCH.

To clarify a previous question, yes -- Regent and Oceania are owned by the same company. However, I disagree that they are run independently. Many of the operations are run by the same person (different people but handling both cruise lines). For instance, the President is the same for both cruise lines. Food, beverage, etc. are combined -- a good money saving move IMO. Excursions are also under the management of the same PCH manager. One cruise line is luxury and the other is premium plus. They are, IMO, not similar. If I were to go on Oceania and did not know they were owned by the same company as Regent, I would have no idea that this were the case.

As hard as I try to ignore posts that make no sense, the posters keep harping on subjects they apparently have no clue about. So....... for those who fall into this category I will explain. Should you actually go into the Review section of CC -- under any of the Regent ships (instead of simply talking about it), you would find many "reviews" that I have made....... from India, the Middle East, the Med., the Caribbean, etc. This thread is not and was never meant to be a review. It is an detailed comparison of Regent and Oceania. Regulars on the Regent board know this already as they are the ones that have an interest in Oceania.

Feel free to continue on this lame path that leads to nowhere. As a Regent customer for many years, I would never assume to know how Oceania customers think....... what their concerns are..... And, I most certainly would not go onto the Oceania board and question an Oceania loyalist in the manner that I am being questioned. Again, this reflects on the poster.

Freddie: Despite our differences, I enjoyed your post. I'm most pleased to hear that your friends block my posts -- certainly wish others would do the same. It would make the Regent board a much better place.

Like your "dog knows" comment. Assume that "cat knows" is also acceptable.

Must agree that my FDR/PCH comments were a bit over the top. May I blame it on jetlag? I so much want to deliver what I promised...a comparison of Oceania and Regent...and I am determined to do so. Although I am quite tired, I will do the "service" portion of the comparison so I can be done with this nonsense.

A quick word about tipping. Yes -- it is charged to your cabin unless your TA is taking care of it for you. Some staff are not covered by the automatic tip. Most notably is the Concierge in the Executive and Concierge lounge. Like many other passengers, we asked him many questions and asked that he arrange things for us. I tipped him separately at the end of the cruise. Also, our butler (who gets an automatic $6 per day -- definitely not enough). We tipped him as well. My advice to those of us not used to tipping on Regent is to not assume that the amount that your TA is paying covers everyone. Stewards/Stewardesses would also benefit from a bit extra. I am not telling anyone what to do...... only what to consider.

OKAY -- service on Oceania and Regent:

The Riviera crew represented 58 countries. Bravo Oceania! It was a pleasure to interact with people from so many walks of life.

The four specialty restaurants have absolutely incredible service. It is like they have a vested interest in the food that they serve. They are thrilled to be able to share their cuisine with you. Must admit that the servers in these dining venues are more excited - more involved and better than the servers in Prime 7 or Signatures. The servers on Oceania are the cream of the crop!

Again, no comment regarding service in the Grand Dining Room.

Service in the lounges was good. We were able to interact with the bartender and servers in the Grand Bar. However, we are able to do the same with the bartenders on Regent.

Terrace Café -- okay -- this is why I didn't want to talk about service. Remember -- this is the La Veranda equivalent. This restaurant is run with a firm but kind hand. These employees are the newest and most "green" (for lack of a better word). The manager insures that tables are cleared promptly (much more promptly than in La Veranda). I am impressed with the training program. There is a "however" in this.....

Servers from the specialty restaurants rotate into Terrace Café. It is very obvious which servers are experienced and which are not. IMO, all Oceania servers in the Terrace Café should learn to interact with the guests more. I noticed a couple of servers that chatted with guests, were friendly and cheerful all of the time. When I finally met them I learned that they were both from Regent!

For the most part, plates are not taken to your table. We tended to sit in the same place most mornings and therefore became known a bit. With a gentle reminder from the manager, they would take our plates to the table.

Looking at La Veranda in the morning and at lunch -- they appear more experienced but can be lazy at times. When on "point" they are close to perfection. They interact with guests and are at ease doing so. Many remember our names.

The most awkward part of the Terrace Café is being served at the buffet. I totally get the sanitary part of being served but have never felt that food contamination was an issue on Regent. The food is watched over and removed if necessary. When it got to the point that I could not put a marshmallow in the chocolate fountain, it seemed a bit over the top.

At lunch we would walk up to the largest buffet station (in the middle) and would see up to 6 people standing there waiting to move food from the plate on the buffet to your plate. Some tried to make it a cheerful event but most looked bored. The two carving and hot food stations has equally bored employees. Only the guests could be more bored by the situation than the staff was. How many times can you try to explain that you would like a bit more (or less) of a certain item or would prefer this piece over another?

In my opinion, the carving station should be served by the staff, the cheese station should be served by the staff and the rest should be self-serve. This would require half of the staff to watch over the food and to assist the guests when necessary.

The grill area staff were nice and accommodating. By necessity, there is only one grill area (the same area that makes eggs in the morning). This area gets crowded. While on Regent, you order your eggs - give your table number and wait for it to be cooked and delivered, on Oceania you stand and wait for it. Therefore the people who have ordered and those who have not are standing around trying to figure out where they should be standing.

There does not appear to be enough sommeliers in the Terrace Café. Perhaps it is unusual to want a beer or glass of wine with lunch. While not a problem on Regent, we had to wait a while to get service. Then we had to wait again for the cards to be swiped and returned to us (not sure where they had to go to do this).

Waves staff also seemed a bit "off" (for lack of a better word). My DH went there for a salad as they had a particular lettuce that he likes. He indicated more than once that it seemed to be an effort to give him some lettuce and salad items.

Leaving the Terrace Café, we found our Steward and Stewardess to be very good. We did not see them much other than to say hi in the hallways. However, our suite was cleaned on time just about every day. This is the same service that we receive on Regent.

The butler....... first I must comment that our favorite butler on Regent is now the head butler on Oceania. He is on the Marina and we may see him in December.

Our butler, Swarup, was phenomenal. I could probably write a book about him. He must have planted a GPS system on us because he could find us anywhere on the ship. He would stop in at breakfast to see how we were doing and would do the same in the Executive Lounge and at dinner. He has worked as a butler at a top resort in India and plans to take another class when he is on vacation. He feels that his guests are on a once in a lifetime vacation and they deserve the very best service possible. He anticipates their needs and always has a smile. I have no doubt that he will be a head butler on one of the ships (hmmmmm, maybe we can steal him from Oceania?)

I feel that I have kept my promise. If I have forgotten anything I may pop in and post and will also check this thread for any Oceania/Regent questions.

In closing, these are both wonderful cruise lines. The food, service, ambience -- all incredible. Whether we decide to sail on Regent in November or Oceania in December is really dependent upon a personal issue -- whether we can be away during the holidays this year. Whichever cruise we end up on, I have no doubt it will be wonderful (and I won't have to do a "live" post from the ship:D)

Edited by Travelcat2

"We enjoyed the use of the Executive Lounge -- a quiet place to sit and work on the computer, have a cup or coffee or read the paper. It was generally very quiet in there. I avoided it in the morning as my DH verified that guests are not only wearing bathrobes but a woman sat across from him and brushed her teeth."

TC - Although I understand that you enjoy presenting us with a bit of hyperbole from time to time to add some zest to your review, would you be so kind as to confirm your earlier statement that there were pax wearing bathrobes in the Executive Lounge or (major yuck) brushing their teeth there? Isn't there some sort of attendant there who can tell them that their attire (and dental hygiene activity) is not appropriate??!!

I rest my case about Oceania being a Luxury cruiseline with half naked people in public lounges flossing their teeth....claaaaasssy FDR!:rolleyes:

And yes for the record we have cruised Oceania once only on the Nautica and have never cruised Regent although considering it for the 30 day Dubai to Cape Town but waiting to see what both Seabourn announces for that same time period and also Regents continuation of that cruise after Dec 21/4.

Confirmed! The wearing of bathrobes is apparently quite common in the Executive Lounge. Hopefully brushing of the teeth is not!

Horrors! Both regarding wearing of bathrobes and brushing teeth in public! I have seen a couple of men wearing bathrobes in the morning on regent, sitting in the smoking area on the pool deck, but I attributed it to partial senility and severe nicotine addiction.

My experience on my 2 Oceania cruises made me feel there is little difference between the two lines - just like a buffet, I can choose my amenities on Oceania. If I want all inclusive tours I can pay a lump sum for them on Oceania. If I want all inclusive liquor, that too is an option. Food is subjective, but again the two steakhouses have identical menus, Italian and French - as well, spa services are the same on O and R. The only major difference is there are lower category cabins on O. Staff is fairly interchangeable. Entertainment is a weaker option.

Since I will be on Riviera 28 days later this year in a PH category and I sailed Regent last year my basis for comparison will be quite valid. My experience tells me that my assumptions are acceptable for the style of cruising.

I totally agree with this statement: For those who keep equating all inclusive with luxury and lack of all inclusive as non luxury, I think that analysis is off the mark.

Think Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons -- it's all a la carte and it's all luxury.

Think Viking River Cruises -- it's all inclusive and nowhere near luxury.

Just because you are getting charged more for things you do not necessarily want does not convert a product into a luxury product. __________________

I totally get the sanitary part of being served but have never felt that food contamination was an issue on Regent.

If it helps, the concern is not so much food contamination but serving utensil contamination.

If the buffet is self-service, you are forced to handle the same utensils that others before you have handled and so are exposed to any hygiene lapses which other guests may have committed.

It is for this reason that we continue to avoid any self-service areas set up this way.

Couple of comments:

1. Yes, there is corned beef hash in the mornings at the Terrace Café. I love it and ate it often there.

2. I had the same question about why Oceania has staff at the bufffets to serve you and Regent lets you serve yourself and I asked Thierry Tholon, GM on our Riviera cruise why! he said it was all to do with hygiene. Having guests help themselves could transmit "bugs" on the spoons, forks etc used to serve the food. he was actually quite surprised that Regent allows self service.

3. I think luxury and all-inclusive have nothing to do with each other. And luxury is very subjective. What is luxurious to some is irrelevant to others. For me luxury is the service, the quality of the cuisine and the general environment. And, again for me, on this Oceania was top-notch!

I never saw anyone in a bathrobe in the Executive lounge...in fact I hardly ever saw anyone in there at all. But then I only went there in the afternoon to get a quick cup of Earl Grey tea before my cooking classes (class sadly conflicted with tea in Horizons which is just about the ultimate in luxury!!

Just stand at a buffet for an hour (any buffet on any ship or at any luxury hotel) and observe how people handle serving themselves.

After you gag, you will understand fully why Oceania does not permit guests to serve themselves. I, for one, am grateful for this approach.

Looking at La Veranda in the morning and at lunch -- they appear more experienced but can be lazy at times. When on "point" they are close to perfection. They interact with guests and are at ease doing so. Many remember our names.

The most awkward part of the Terrace Café is being served at the buffet. ... When it got to the point that I could not put a marshmallow in the chocolate fountain, it seemed a bit over the top.

...The two carving and hot food stations has equally bored employees. Only the guests could be more bored by the situation than the staff was. How many times can you try to explain that you would like a bit more (or less) of a certain item or would prefer this piece over another?

The grill area ... This area gets crowded. While on Regent, you order your eggs - give your table number and wait for it to be cooked and delivered, on Oceania you stand and wait for it. Therefore the people who have ordered and those who have not are standing around trying to figure out where they should be standing.

Sounds like the don't quite have the service "down" in these areas. I hope you made these comments in your comment card--this kind of feedback I'm sure would be useful. Adjectives like "lazy", "bored", "crowded" should give them pause, I hope.

Confirmed! The wearing of bathrobes is apparently quite common in the Executive Lounge. Hopefully brushing of the teeth is not!

Is this in the morning? Could it be people with bathing suits underneath, just trying to cover up? The teeth thing is just plain icky.

Hambagahle, thanks for the report on the corned beef hash!

And I also agree that all-inclusive does NOT equate to luxury. Radisson was a luxury line before it gradually went all-inclusive. They did always include tips, which I like.

Is this in the morning? Could it be people with bathing suits underneath, just trying to cover up? The teeth thing is just plain icky.

Yes -- it was morning. I saw the robes but my DH witnessed the teeth brushing. When I went into the lounge it was usually fairly empty. Some people just lack common sense. One man (dressed) was lying on the sofa reading the paper like he was in his own home. I found the Executive Lounge a wonderful place to use the internet and chat with the Executive Concierge when he wasn't busy. We don't watch television when we cruise so I caught up on the news from the very large screen television that was visible from the computer area. Baby Boomers like myself would not think of going outside of the suite without being dressed, wearing make-up, etc.:eek:

If it helps, the concern is not so much food contamination but serving utensil contamination.

If the buffet is self-service, you are forced to handle the same utensils that others before you have handled and so are exposed to any hygiene lapses which other guests may have committed.

It is for this reason that we continue to avoid any self-service areas set up this way.

Thank you for your post. Your point did not occur to me. After thinking about it further, with the money that can be saved by not overstaffing the buffet, perhaps Oceania can supply gloves:confused: In any case, I may use some method to avoid touching handles on Regent.

Gerry, hopefully you do not feel that way. It is unfortunate that people who do not know posters on the Regent board decide they know what we are thinking or doing. You and I have posted opposing views for years without getting snarky. So much of my review coincides with yours -- the absolute best food in the specialty restaurants, service, etc. If I offended you in any way, kindly let me know.

Caroldoll is a dear friend. She was Crystalized years ago. She doesn't like Regent at all and I bash Crystal (to her only) all the time. I am thrilled that she loves Oceania and that she will take more cruises in the future. I wanted her and her DH to meet us on the Riviera but it didn't work out.

Only posting this to highlight that people who make assumptions ....... well, you know the rest.

It also seems that some posters have not noticed that we are booked on the Marina in December. I was checking out flights only this morning. I must really hate Oceania.

I do have a negative ...... Oceania Air. IF we cancel this cruise it will be because of them (or if I truly need to be home during the holidays). They are impossible to deal with -- will not give information unless you are ready to deviate on the spot (pretty hard to do when your TA is doing the work for you -- how can they approve flights for us?) We paid Regent $1,000 each (above deviation that we no longer have to pay for) to fly American Airlines. A couple of months ago we checked flights for our Oceania cruise and they would not let us use American airlines at all. If this remains the case, we will probably cancel and we will be disappointed. So, we can fly American airlines on Regent and not on Oceania? So much for the companies being the same.

My rant for the morning!

Edited by Travelcat2

I do have a negative ...... Oceania Air. IF we cancel this cruise it will be because of them (or if I truly need to be home during the holidays). They are impossible to deal with -- will not give information unless you are ready to deviate on the spot (pretty hard to do when your TA is doing the work for you -- how can they approve flights for us?) We paid Regent $1,000 each (above deviation that we no longer have to pay for) to fly American Airlines. A couple of months ago we checked flights for our Oceania cruise and they would not let us use American airlines at all. If this remains the case, we will probably cancel and we will be disappointed. So, we can fly American airlines on Regent and not on Oceania? So much for the companies being the same.

My rant for the morning!

Just one point you may want to consider

Just book your own air & not worry about what flights Oceania will or will not give you

I prefer to book my own air but have used the deviation system with O with good results

YMMD

Edited by LHT28

... We enjoyed the use of the Executive Lounge -- a quiet place to sit and work on the computer, have a cup or coffee or read the paper. It was generally very quiet in there. I avoided it in the morning as my DH verified that guests are not only wearing bathrobes but a woman sat across from him and brushed her teeth. ...

If I see that its going on YouTube:D

TC - did you notice what Pinot Grigio was on the list when you prepaid? Or didn't they have one? We saw a man in the Neptune Lounge on HAL with a bathrobe and when he bent over you could see he didn't even have undies on :eek:

TC - did you notice what Pinot Grigio was on the list when you prepaid? Or didn't they have one? We saw a man in the Neptune Lounge on HAL with a bathrobe and when he bent over you could see he didn't even have undies on :eek:

:DThat is so funny about the man on HAL. Hope he kept his bathrobe closed.

They do have a Pinot Grigio on the list but do not recall the brand. There is someone posting live from the Riviera on the Oceania board -- they have to full liquor package. Why don't you try asking your question there and maybe they can look it up for you. Hope they can help.

Caroldoll is a dear friend. She was Crystalized years ago. She doesn't like Regent at all and I bash Crystal (to her only) all the time.

Jackie, as you have NEVER been on Crystal...I do not understand how you can bash a product you have never cruised on? I have NEVER cruised on Regent and have many friends, some are dear friends that love Regent and I would never bash Regent. I am so happy for my friends and am delighted that they are happy with any cruise line they sail on. As a matter of fact, I met a lady (first time meeting her) this morning while I was working out. She is taking her first cruise ever on Regent in a few weeks and I was so excited for her. FWIW, she also looked into Crystal but the Baltic itineraries didn't work for her due to her time parameter. While I've not cruised any other Lux line besides Crystal, I am extremely familiar with all the other LUX lines based on my own research, feedback from friends and what I read on this board and other places.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

I have seen people wear bathrobes in public areas on all of our cruises. I have no idea if some people are nude underneath. On some ships, people wore the bathrobe when they were going for a treatment at the spa. On some ships, people wore the bathrobes when they were going to sit in the hot tub or for a swim. I've seen people wear them to the laundry room. I've seen many people wear them while they are sitting on the balcony when we are in port. I have seen people wear them when they are getting early morning coffee on deck. I've never been offended by a bathrobe. I have been offended by some of the swimwear onboard.

When I go for my early morning walk, I get dressed as quietly as possible so I do not wake my DH. I do not "do" my hair, put on make up or fix myself up in any way other than to brush my teeth, in my own cabin. I do not worry about what others might think of how I look.

I am enjoying reading this thread. I am taking note of those parts that are of interest to me. Thanks to all of the posters.

When I go for my early morning walk, I get dressed as quietly as possible so I do not wake my DH. I do not "do" my hair, put on make up or fix myself up in any way other than to brush my teeth, in my own cabin. I do not worry about what others might think of how I look.

I am enjoying reading this thread. I am taking note of those parts that are of interest to me. Thanks to all of the posters.

I guess I have been lucky I have not really seen many people wander around in bathrobes

I have seen a few wear them over swimsuit to the pool

They had a bathrobe breakfast on Oceania a couple of times (tacky in my opinion) people did have clothes on underneath

I do not wear make up so you have to take me as I come :D

Maybe some blush when going to dinner

Enough with false accusations. I have not bashed Oceania or Crystal. If you think I have, link me to the post!

I have stated repeatedly that I did not a policy on Oceania. I have been harder on Regent than any cruise line. While I love the ships and the crew, I used every opportunity to post my dislike for the policy that corporate was going to put in place. This went on for months. Posters that actually have been reading the Regent board certainly know this. The areas where I have been critical of Oceania have to do with a specific policy (that I sure as heck are not going to rehash now).

What I find lacking in some of these posts is common sense. How many people would go on a cruise costing several thousand dollars without knowing something about it? Most people are not going to try each and every cruise line to see if they are going to be comfortable. Places like CruiseCritic give readers the opportunity to hear different views Reading websites and travel magazines adds to the knowledge we have before making a cruise booking.

I would never tell someone not to go on Regent, Oceania or any other cruise line just because we may not want to sail on it ourselves. I do tell them about policies and our experiences.

IMO, one of the main reasons these threads have been such a pain is that posters are not discussing issues -- they are attacking. On the recent dress code thread, there was a discussion about collared polo shirts. The policy clearly allows them. I clearly think they look cheap and wish they were not allowed. People attacked me for my view instead of giving their point of view. If you like polo shirts and think they look great -- say so instead of attacking.

I do not think that Oceania and Regent are alike. Others may disagree. There could be several good debates on this particular issue. However, for some, it is better to attack the poster than give the subject some thought and offer their point of view.

Edited by Travelcat2

I think all this is because Jackie did use the word "bash" when talking about Crystal, but said she did it privately. And she probably used the word loosely.

I have not been on Crystal, and don't intend to be. I'm not bashing them, but there are good reasons why I'm not interested. Anybody has the right to this type of opinion.

As with Oceania--I believe Jackie has felt very strongly in the past that Oceania was not for her--she's now changed her mind. Good for her.

The areas where I have been critical of Oceania have to do with a specific policy (that I sure as heck are not going to rehash now).

IMO, one of the main reasons these threads have been such a pain is that posters are not discussing issues -- they are attacking. On the recent dress code thread, there was a discussion about collared polo shirts. The policy clearly allows them. I clearly think they look cheap and wish they were not allowed. People attacked me for my view instead of giving their point of view. If you like polo shirts and think they look great -- say so instead of attacking.

Three things:

First, I actually would be interested in hearing your opinion(s) on the classism for which you criticized Oceania prior to sailing. Having now been on the ship, did you find it to be a positive / negative / neutral?

Specifics to include differential boarding times, priority tenders, specialty restaurant reservations, etc would be welcome.

Second, having not actively participated in the recent dress code fight, I recognize some of those by whom you may feel attacked to have given their point of view - that being, if they are clearly within the dress code, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks (about polo shirts or otherwise).

Third, you know you engender strong feelings in some here. Take it all with a grain of salt. Keep that which you find useful and discard the rest.