How Regent Compares with Oceania

• 2 months later...

TC,

I have a couple of questions.

1.How did the passengers compare to the usual Regent passengers? Similar? Different?

2. Did pax dress more casually than on Regent? On our one O cruise on Riviera in the Caribbean, we saw several pax who wore shorts and even tee shirts (beachwear) around the ship at night in many venues. Also I did see a few bathrobes in the Concierge lounge.

Thank you for your review.

Edited by digtexas

TC,

I have a couple of questions.

1.How did the passengers compare to the usual Regent passengers? Similar? Different?

2. Did pax dress more casually than on Regent? On our one O cruise on Riviera in the Caribbean, we saw several pax who wore shorts and even tee shirts (beachwear) around the ship at night in many venues. Also I did see a few bathrobes in the Concierge lounge.

Hi..... will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability ..... in reverse order:

1. For the most part, dress was more casual than Regent. However, in the specialty restaurants, I saw men in jackets and women in dresses. This surprised me. Not only did we see bathrobes in the Concierge Lounge, we saw a woman brushing her teeth:eek: IMO, there should be a dress code in this lounge. We also saw shorts and tee shirts around the ship at night. I believe that this attire is acceptable in the Terrace Café.

2. If I am 100% honest about your first question, I will no doubt be flamed. Oh well..... here it goes....... yes, most of the passengers on Oceania are different than Regent passengers. Most/many have upgraded from Princess, HAL, Celebrity and even Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Personally, I think that it is better to move from mainstream to premium to upper premium to luxury (if that is what you want).

IMO, it is not reasonable to think that everyone will love luxury cruising. There was a time in my life where I would have been very bored on Regent. I wanted to dance, party and have lots of cocktails. As recently as my 50th birthday, I was climbing a wall and trying a trapeze at an upscale Club Med. We also loved long slides into swimming pools.

It seems that some people like the "idea" of luxury cruising. Everyone should do what they enjoy. We loved sailing on the Riviera. The people were great -- easy to talk to. The staff was amazing! For us, Regent gives us the comfort and ambience that we are looking for.

While it sounds as if I have gone on a "rant", I am simply explaining, from my point of view, why the people on main stream, premium, premium plus and luxury cruise lines are different. It has to do with state of mind -- not age.

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat, I still love long slides into swimming pools, rock Walls, cocktails, but it wouldn't give up regent to get the slide and the rock wall! I am definitely looking forward to our trial cruise on riviera though, just to get some variety. But if regent had offered a cruise of the length that I can take (14 days or less in clouding travel time) in Australia or Asia, I would have taken it in a heart beat instead.

Travelcat,

Thank you for your response. Yes, we also got the feeling on Riviera that there were more pax moving up to O from mainstream lines than there were moving down from luxury lines. Although I realize that one is allowed to dine in shorts in the Terrace, it was still a little disconcerting to see shorts and tee shirts in various venues around the ship at night. Actually seeing a couple of pax in bathrobes getting coffee in the morning in the Concierge lounge did not bother me.

We did not find the crew to be as warm and engaging as many that we have encountered on other luxury lines but perhaps service is meant to be understated, or that was just our experience on our one O cruise on Riviera.

We did like it enough to book a London to London itinerary for next summer on Marina.

Travelcat, I still love long slides into swimming pools, rock Walls, cocktails, but it wouldn't give up regent to get the slide and the rock wall! I am definitely looking forward to our trial cruise on riviera though, just to get some variety. But if regent had offered a cruise of the length that I can take (14 days or less in clouding travel time) in Australia or Asia, I would have taken it in a heart beat instead.

I still love long slides into the swimming pool but do not think I could do a rock wall anymore. I'm looking forward to your posts from your Riviera cruise. Not sure whether you are into art or not....... I'm not but kept finding myself studying the art on the Riviera. Not everything is what it seems and not everything is the same style. When is your "trial cruise"?

Not much into "art", but I do love great interior design. Our cruise is January 23, so a ways off. I have seen pics of the interior of the 2 large Oceania ships, and they look beautiful.

George and I used to rock climb many years ago. I wouldn't do that anymore. In fact, I made him get rid of all the ropes, etc. but I think I could still handle a wall, though perhaps not on a moving ship.

We have done a few Caribbean cruises on O

Yes some will wear their daytime attire into the evening but for the most part many change into nicer dress ..some men were in Jackets & suits though not required you are free to wear them if you choose

I have not witnessed too many people in shorts wandering the ship in the evening ....usully during the late afternoon & dinner you will see some

People like to stop in the bar before changing for late dinner

I have read people wear bathrobes in halls on Regent so not sure if that is considered something that only upscale people do or not :rolleyes:

We have done European cruises & the evening wear is much different ..not as casual

Each cruise will have a different passenger mix so it is hard to say whether this dress code infraction (in your eyes) will be like that on every cruise

In my experience it is not the same every cruise

Pick an itinerary, cruise line that suits your needs/wants & not worry about what other people do

Lyn

YMMV

Since shorts are permitted on Oceania in the evening, it isn't really surprising that we saw people dressed in shorts (not in the specialty restaurants). I have to laugh about bathrobes on Regent. It is rather strange to see a Regent passenger in a bathrobe but I have seen a bathrobe used as a cover-up going to/from the pool and early in the morning going to the coffee machine (rather tacky but it happens occasionally). Not sure what Regent's dress code says about bathrobes:)

In any case, Oceania is more casual than Regent which sort of makes sense. IMO, the specialty restaurants on both cruise lines deserve better than polos and ultra casual slacks.

In fact, the restaurants and the balance of the ship deserve what the cruise line sets as appropriate dress. If people don't like the dress code of any cruise line, they are free to move on to a cruise line where the dress code fits their humble opinions. Polo shirts and pants other than denim are perfectly appropriate for specialty restaurants as well as the balance of the ships of both cruise lines after 6 PM.

Don't understand why passengers who claim to love a particular cruise line post opinions that differ from the cruise lines posted rules. Guess they really don't like the particular cruise line as much as they claim to??

Edited by rallydave

I am amused by people who are indignant that those who do not like the dress code of any cruise line should just move on and choose a different line yet they are not willing to accept a cruise line's smoking policy and just move on if they do not like it.

I am amused by people who are indignant that those who do not like the dress code of any cruise line should just move on and choose a different line yet they are not willing to accept a cruise line's smoking policy and just move on if they do not like it.

Not sure who is indignant but dress code is not a reason to change cruise lines (IMHO). When looking at Regent, I am one of the people who voted for the more relaxed dress code...... didn't realize that it was the beginning of a slippery slope to sloppiness. We dress the way we feel is appropriate (always within the dress code). My DH would not feel right having dinner with an officer in a polo shirt and casual slacks but that is his decision and he does not impose it on others.

I had no problem with the dress code on Oceania but did giggle a bit after seeing a man in very old, sloppy long shorts and a t-shirt in the elegant elevator around 10:00 p.m.

Extremely good point about smokers. (Oh no -- now this is going to become both a dress code and smoking thread -- that is frightening:-)

Not sure who is indignant but dress code is not a reason to change cruise lines (IMHO). When looking at Regent, I am one of the people who voted for the more relaxed dress code...... didn't realize that it was the beginning of a slippery slope to sloppiness. We dress the way we feel is appropriate (always within the dress code). My DH would not feel right having dinner with an officer in a polo shirt and casual slacks but that is his decision and he does not impose it on others.

Not looking to start a war, but I sure would like someone to explain the mystic of dining with officers. Maybe a better bottle of wine....maybe more attentive service. But in reality, the officers are employees, just like other employee but better paid. I know this is part of a luxury ship's culture, but why?

I've been sailing for more years than many of you are in age and I just don't understand it.

Henry,

If you are referring to me, I was not the slightest bit indignant at the sloppy dress, but on a personal level, I do prefer the atmosphere to feel a little more upscale in the evening, meaning at least a pair of dockers and a polo or button up shirt. I was aware of the rules, and what others wore had no effect on me, but like anyone, I have my preferences. Having said that, I enjoy a casual atmosphere and have gotten into the dreaded dress code battles on the Crystal board with the few who still think that Crystal should retain formal nights.(which have now changed to "formal optional", which allows polo shirts, casual slacks with a sport coat)

So, to each his own. Some people probably find the look of men's feet in flip flops appealing!:D

Not looking to start a war, but I sure would like someone to explain the mystic of dining with officers. Maybe a better bottle of wine....maybe more attentive service. But in reality, the officers are employees, just like other employee but better paid. I know this is part of a luxury ship's culture, but why?

I've been sailing for more years than many of you are in age and I just don't understand it.

Quite agree with you. Sometimes one can glean some useful information from an officer, and on occasion some officers can be amusing. Otherwise, it's probably more the snob appeal of being "chosen" to dine with an officer.

Quite agree with you. Sometimes one can glean some useful information from an officer, and on occasion some officers can be amusing. Otherwise, it's probably more the snob appeal of being "chosen" to dine with an officer.

I didn't "see" the post you quoted. I agree that some people like dining with officers for "show" but that is not usually the case. We have known some of the men and women on Regent ships for many years. We met one G.M. when he was Food & Beverage Mgr. We met a H.R. Manager a long time ago - she is now on Oceania. We dined with her one night on the Riviera. These hard working men and women do not have a lot of extra time to chat with people - except at dinner. We are not "selected" to have dinner with them....... we nag them (well, sort of -- we nag Paul Reynolds -- love to tease him on CC because he doesn't read it:-)

Certainly do not expect everyone to be as interested in Regent and the people who work on the ships as we are. Some of these people feel like part of our extended family and we look forward to seeing them - it is part of our cruising experience. It is a bit sad to learn that passengers dining with officers are being judged. Just do not understand that way of thinking.

Edited by Travelcat2

I didn't "see" the post you quoted. I agree that some people like dining with officers for "show" but that is not usually the case. We have known some of the men and women on Regent ships for many years. We met one G.M. when he was Food & Beverage Mgr. We met a H.R. Manager a long time ago - she is now on Oceania. We dined with her one night on the Riviera. These hard working men and women do not have a lot of extra time to chat with people - except at dinner. We are not "selected" to have dinner with them....... we nag them (well, sort of -- we nag Paul Reynolds -- love to tease him on CC because he doesn't read it:-)

Certainly do not expect everyone to be as interested in Regent and the people who work on the ships as we are. Some of these people feel like part of our extended family and we look forward to seeing them - it is part of our cruising experience. It is a bit sad to learn that passengers dining with officers are being judged. Just do not understand that way of thinking.

Don't let your paranoia intrude.

No one is judging you for choosing to dine with whomever you want.

If you don't jump to conclusions and read my post carefully, you will see that I am simply mystified by the interest put forth to achieve this.

That I don't understand it is my problem, not yours..

Don't let your paranoia intrude.

No one is judging you for choosing to dine with whomever you want.

If you don't jump to conclusions and read my post carefully, you will see that I am simply mystified by the interest put forth to achieve this.

That I don't understand it is my problem, not yours..

It's not the paranoia or the jumping to conclusions nor the lack of reading the entire post, the issue is the fact that you are on the persons ignore list and your post can't be seen by this person. You have joined the good peoples list so enjoy the lack of any responses or arguments.

I'm not judging anyone; neither was Responder. Just stating facts. Some people genuinely enjoy the company of officers or staff, others do it for the "show" part as you refer to it. I've been fortunate enough to be seated with many officers/staff (including Mark Conroy on Regent) on many different cruise lines. Most were good company; some were dreadful. Frankly, I normally prefer the company of other passengers.

It's not the paranoia or the jumping to conclusions nor the lack of reading the entire post, the issue is the fact that you are on the persons ignore list and your post can't be seen by this person. You have joined the good peoples list so enjoy the lack of any responses or arguments.

You bet!

Just stand at a buffet for an hour (any buffet on any ship or at any luxury hotel) and observe how people handle serving themselves.

After you gag, you will understand fully why Oceania does not permit guests to serve themselves. I, for one, am grateful for this approach.

and yet again you and I agree!!

Jancruz1