On Location...... This sounds Great!!

sail7seas

I just received an e-mail from HAL and included was the following:

spacer_10x10.gifspacer_10x10.gifspacer_10x10.gifspacer_10x10.gif'On Location' Brings Local Flair On Board spacer_10x10.gifWe're bringing local culture and cuisine on board in exciting new ways through our new On Location program. Delight in artisan workshops like steel drum lessons in the Caribbean or tai chi with a master instructor in Asia, enjoy local entertainment, and savor the regional culinary specialties served in our restaurants — all to enhance your cruise experience.

On Location will be available on all ships by the end of 2013. To find out more about availability on current sailings, or for more information about the On Location program, consult your Travel Professional, call 1-877-724-5425, or

visit www.hollandamerica.com. Or use the Plan a Cruise tab on Facebook.

This sounds like something we could really enjoy. Happy HAL is trying to innovate new activities and bring a taste of the ports to the ship. Can't wait to experience some of this.

Anyone heard of the program? This is the first I've heard of it.

This sounds like something we could really enjoy. Happy HAL is trying to innovate new activities and bring a taste of the ports to the ship. Can't wait to experience some of this.

Anyone heard of the program? This is the first I've heard of it.

Sounds much better than a zip line or onboard surfing.:)

Sounds interesting. It would be great if they started on our October Atlantic Coast cruise with whole live main lobsters on-board!:rolleyes:

That would be some very nice "Local Fair.":)

One can hope. :)

Sail - I read about it somewhere, but I can't find it or remember where. It "might" have been a blip on Facebook - not sure.

Found it on Facebook - May 7, 2013 (about the same as Sail just posted)

Holland America Line Goes ‘On Location’ with New Activity Program to Immerse Guests In The Culture And Activities Unique To Each Cruising Region

Local experts bring destination-centric experiences on board. From steel drum lessons in the Caribbean to tai chi on deck with a master in Asia, Holland America Line is bringing local culture and cuisine on board like never before through its new “On Location” program. The itinerary sets the scene for guests to indulge in localized experiences that make time on board as culturally enriching as visiting the ports of call.

On each cruise, a Location Team from the region either visits the ship or sails on board and shares unique, personal insights with guests through lectures, demonstrations and performances. They provide information about local customs, the way of life, off-the-beaten-path port highlights and secrets that only a local would know.

249022_10151455688538406_2015772154_n.jpg

The new daily blurb is called "On Location", but I don't remember any specific "local" entertainment or activities on the Eurodam in the Spring. They could be developing some interesting programs, though. Hope so. :)

Sail - I read about it somewhere, but I can't find it or remember where. It "might" have been a blip on Facebook - not sure.

I haven't seen it mentioned here on CC but I may have missed it.

Anyone know of a thread on this forum?

I'm happy to read they will be offering things of this sort. World Cruise and Grand Voyages have some of that so it'll be nice for the shorter cruises to also enjoy such things. :)

sail, 'on location' is most likely for the rich folks like you in suites, not for the majority of passengers. when i first started cruising, cunard countess had local bands, dancers, etc. on all cruises where appropriate; the sail-away steel band performance on the aft deck in grenada was splendid as was the military concert band in barbados, in high uniform i might add. and in other ports, locals sang and danced and taught the dances of the day. i remember a 'limbo' that was SO festive. and i have videos and pics to prove it all. nothing like that now. those festive times hooked me on cruising; now nothing but the hal cats, a pitiful duo in the lounge, high school entertainment, and canned, obnoxious jazz played loudly on the lido, and a crap-==== guitarist in the lounge they now call 'mix.'

oh, how fun it used to be, because of the ambience, the music, the excitement of it all. but no more. remember the dancing on the aft deck at sail-away? now, hardly anyone is there. i think that says it all, and smoking or non-smoking, i think hal has lost its excitement; hal could offer more than cunard, if it tried. not carnival, of course, but a real taste of the destinations. you know, we only know another people through their culture; only another destination through its mores and folkways. bring it aboard, and lots of us will continue to love hal and cruise again. thanks, for listening to my comments; they are not intended to be 'rants.'

They had this on our Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in April. From San Diego to Hawaii we had events each day. There were 4 or 5 people from Hawaii on board. They did lei making (they were beautiful fresh flower leis that did not cost you to participate), bracelets, taught the hula and had a show before they left, did ukelele lesson (not as easy as it looks), lectures etc. It was really noce to have them on. Each day they had 3 or 4 different things going on along with all of the regular ship activities. It was a nice addition to our day.

It's on the Holland America site blog, and I think was also mentioned on their facebook page. I check the HAL blog regularly, there's always lots of news on there.

There was a real effort at the cuisine portion of the program on the Maasdam Montreal to Boston run last week. There were a couple of afternoon events with French and New England cuisine running for a few hours.

I didn't attend, but did notice them in the daily program, conveniently now called On Location.

I haven't heard that HAL was starting this. RCI has done what they call "Incursion" cruises. We got caught in one in 2004 from Puerto Rico. We did not realize what this was and it ended up being a terrible cruise. Announcements were first made in Spanish, then English (as it was really discounted to the folks of Puerto Rico), Spanish menus, music, etc.

Our tablemates spoke only Spanish, I don't speak Spanish and neither does my friend, so it really had a huge impact on our cruise.

I would NOT be interested any kind of local culture happenings o"on location".

I haven't heard that HAL was starting this. RCI has done what they call "Incursion" cruises. We got caught in one in 2004 from Puerto Rico. We did not realize what this was and it ended up being a terrible cruise. Announcements were first made in Spanish, then English (as it was really discounted to the folks of Puerto Rico), Spanish menus, music, etc.

Our tablemates spoke only Spanish, I don't speak Spanish and neither does my friend, so it really had a huge impact on our cruise.

I would NOT be interested any kind of local culture happenings o"on location".

What do you object to about this ?

Found it on Facebook - May 7, 2013

Holland America Line Goes ‘On Location’ with New Activity Program to Immerse Guests In The Culture And Activities Unique To Each Cruising Region

Local experts bring destination-centric experiences on board. From steel drum lessons in the Caribbean to tai chi on deck with a master in Asia, Holland America Line is bringing local culture and cuisine on board like never before through its new “On Location” program. The itinerary sets the scene for guests to indulge in localized experiences that make time on board as culturally enriching as visiting the ports of call.

On each cruise, a Location Team from the region either visits the ship or sails on board and shares unique, personal insights with guests through lectures, demonstrations and performances. They provide information about local customs, the way of life, off-the-beaten-path port highlights and secrets that only a local would know.

I'm not sure it's so important who mentioned it where or when. :D

I'm really interested to hear people's thoughts about this new program. To me,

that would be far more pertinent and of interest.

JMO....

Archived