Live From The Royal Princess

Shogun

One of the regular center elevators faces port, another one faces starboard.

I see that on the deck plan now; didn't notice it at first. I still think that's enough to tip you off to the direction you are facing.

Looks like there's no chef's table in my future. Only things I would have from the above is the lobster tail, sauvignon blanc and coffee. Look at all the money I just saved! :D

I agree. and add to that I don't drink.

Now that the very first cruise is over on Sunday? Why don't we give it six months before trying to deduce if they are a failure or not. I'm sure you're keeping your fingers crossed. ;)

Dave, what may wind up being a total fail in Europe, might work in the Caribbean. I have made my feelings known on those things (can't stand them and it's the first time on Princess that I've notice different classes of chairs in public space around pools). I hope they fail and Princess takes them down.

Hopefully I got this right...

The Chef's Table Lumiere

Hors D Oeuvres

- Lobster Tail on Buckwheat Blini

- Beef Tatare

- Smoked Duck Breast

- Carpaccio

Wines

- Nicloas Feullatte Brut

- Pouilly Fume Sauvigon Blanc

- Domaine Mollet Maudry

- Tracy Sur Lorie

- Francisan Magnificant

Main Course Items

- Ceviche of Scallop and Tuna

- Roasted Rack of Veal

- Cognac Flamed Crayfish

Desert or other

- Mango and Drambuie Sorbet

- Mille Feullie of Gorgonzola Mousse

- Sweet Onion Compote

- Cholalte Dome With Passion fruit

- Creme Brulee

- Carmal lava Center

- Mango Sorbet

- Home made Mignardsies

- Excellant Blend of Tastes colour and smells

- Coffee

Chef's Table sounds divine! It's something i'd definitely do when I cruise solo. DH doesn't eat meat or drink wine.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I see that on the deck plan now; didn't notice it at first. I still think that's enough to tip you off to the direction you are facing.

My last cruise was in January and if I remember correctly, when you got off an elevator and there was a hallway on each side, you could look toward either side and see a sign that said something like "odd numbered cabins" or "even number cabins." I wasn't paying attention to it because I knew where I was going. Needless to say, I think most, if not all except first time cruisers, have found "sign posts" or "sight markers" that would tell them where they where and which way they had to go to get to their destination.

I like the LEFT is EVEN and RIGHT is ODD. But the best description of how to tell the difference was one of the crew members (officer) told me once that "the worst thing that could happen on a cruise was when they found out that there was no PORT LEFT!" He was referring to wine, of course!

Dave, what may wind up being a total fail in Europe, might work in the Caribbean. I have made my feelings known on those things (can't stand them and it's the first time on Princess that I've notice different classes of chairs in public space around pools). I hope they fail and Princess takes them down.

I hope so too, the sactuary is ok as its a seperate area, but slap bang in the way of a pool. I really do hope they fail. Other pay for options on princess have so lets hope so

My last cruise was in January and if I remember correctly, when you got off an elevator and there was a hallway on each side, you could look toward either side and see a sign that said something like "odd numbered cabins" or "even number cabins." I wasn't paying attention to it because I knew where I was going. Needless to say, I think most, if not all except first time cruisers, have found "sign posts" or "sight markers" that would tell them where they where and which way they had to go to get to their destination.

I like the LEFT is EVEN and RIGHT is ODD. But the best description of how to tell the difference was one of the crew members (officer) told me once that "the worst thing that could happen on a cruise was when they found out that there was no PORT LEFT!" He was referring to wine, of course!

Funny about the no port left joke. ;)

I was a little slow and hadn't noticed the "odd number cabins on the starboard and even number cabins on the port side" signs until our fourth cruise. Once you realize those signs are there you quit finding yourself walking half the length of the ship on the wrong side and going the wrong direction. :confused:

Looks like there's no chef's table in my future. Only things I would have from the above is the lobster tail, sauvignon blanc and coffee. Look at all the money I just saved! :D
Not in mine either. I wouldn't have any of the hors d oeuvres or main course items. I don't know enough about wine to know whether there are any I would like. We usually order a house merlot if in the mood. None of the desserts sound appealing. I do drink coffee.

With the news of the untimely death of 51 year old actor James Gandolfini, I thought the following was the quote of the day:

"Us poor "rotund" and underfed Aussies (who live to eat) are dying to know."

Thanks so much for the info. Exactly what I was afraid of about the running track. Fortunately, I am doing a half-marathon just before my cruise in October and will be slacking off a bit. I think I learned last year that doing two cruises just before a marathon isn't the best idea.

I didn't mean to imply that I hog the treadmills when there are people waiting to use them. I don't, but I wouldn't want to be told to get off if their were unused treadmills available. I have found the first day or two at sea are the only days where there would be a problem. After that, treadmill use drops quite a bit.

Yes, just like at the local gym, January is jam-packed and by Feburary things slacken off. :D

Funny about the no port left joke. ;)

I was a little slow and hadn't noticed the "odd number cabins on the starboard and even number cabins on the port side" signs until our fourth cruise. Once you realize those signs are there you quit finding yourself walking half the length of the ship on the wrong side and going the wrong direction. :confused:

Not alone lol....

On our last cruise (Ruby) we stayed in a mini-suite that had a completely uncovered balcony that could be seen from above. It never bothered me. But then we usually don't do anything naughty outside. <g>

My attitude was "Let them eat their hearts out."

"Usually don't" is not the same as NEVER. :)

(sorry, couldn't help it)

Hopefully I got this right...

The Chef's Table Lumiere . . .

Desert or other

- Mango and Drambuie Sorbet

- Mille Feullie of Gorgonzola Mousse

- Sweet Onion Compote

- Cholalte Dome With Passion fruit

- Creme Brulee

- Carmal lava Center

- Mango Sorbet

- Home made Mignardsies

- Excellant Blend of Tastes colour and smells

- Coffee

I suspect that "cholalte" is really "chocolate." Shogun's typing is always an adventure in reading comprehension.

What is that white structure just aft of the Retreat Pool?

Also, what is the traffic flow like through the Princess Live Cafe? That looks really tight in there. Thanks!

According to the deck plans, it's the elevator lobby and ladies/mens rooms. Nice that they're so close. What ship is it I'm thinking of where you have to walk miles to get to the bathroom? I wanna say the upper deck of the Neptune pool on the Crown, but I can't remember. . . . anyway, glad there are bathrooms nearby this pool.

I've always though that Princess Live seems very claustrophobic. Definitely not a venue I'm eager to try out.

Thank you. Those are great photos and I' m so happy to finally see them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Has anyone seen photos of L108 or L107? I have just changed to L108 for my cruise next year after seeing the M107 photos and it appears the similar staterooms on Lido are substantially larger. Great to see some photos starting to be posted. Thanks.

Having enjoyed the chefs table (and the galley tour prior to it 4 times so far,) you are making me rethink doing it when it is my turn on the Royal.

thanks for the heads up!

We have done the Chef's Table twice, once at $75 and once at $95. We thought the jump to $95 was steep, but Chef Convery's imaginative menu made the evening worth the money and was much better than Shogun's, IMHO. Thought about trying to get an invite to a CT on our upcoming cruise(s), even at the ridiculous price of $115. After Shogun's post, we will aim for the Winemaker's Dinner and forget about the CT on the Royal.

It's at the Retreat Pool, an Adult-Only area, and located on the aft wall of that outdoor space. It looks across the pool towards the Retreat Bar.

9053425766_c9941ce575_c.jpg

This really is a wonderful photo. However, I wonder how long it will be before someone is overheard telling off another someone to "get off my ledge". In the photo, the lady is resting upon one of the few places surrounding the pool which are available to sit. Unfortunately, I have come across quite a few people on cruises who would expect that the ledges surrounding the cabanas "belong" to each cabana. It looks like there can be potential conflicts since these ledges are the only place directly around the pool to rest -- yet, they encroach upon the "exclusive" area of the cabanas. Maybe I am jaded, but I have lived too long in New York to not expect that some lively discussions will take place over who the ledges belong to in these areas...

After Shogun's post, we will aim for the Winemaker's Dinner and forget about the CT on the Royal.

We're also looking at the $40 Winemaker's Dinner which we could do nearly 3 times for the price of the $115 CT.

After four of the CTs at $75 we haven't done any since increasing to $95 and had considered the CT on the Royal. Unfortunately while the table & accessories seem to have improved the experience itself doesn't appear to be as good as before.

This really is a wonderful photo. However, I wonder how long it will be before someone is overheard telling off another someone to "get off my ledge". In the photo, the lady is resting upon one of the few places surrounding the pool which are available to sit. Unfortunately, I have come across quite a few people on cruises who would expect that the ledges surrounding the cabanas "belong" to each cabana. It looks like there can be potential conflicts since these ledges are the only place directly around the pool to rest -- yet, they encroach upon the "exclusive" area of the cabanas. Maybe I am jaded, but I have lived too long in New York to not expect that some lively discussions will take place over who the ledges belong to in these areas...

Your observation actually came up in another thread recently. I responded that I personally couldn't imagine someone just hopping up on the little wall itself directly in front of someones cabana when it was occupied just out of respect for the person renting it. That's not to say that it won't happen. Of course that ledge directly in front of the cabana doesn't 'belong' to that cabana, and the shallows just on the other side of the cabana is also fair game. Both ends of the pool and the areas between the cabanas also have the ledge, as well as lots of areas in and around the pool where you can sit in the shallows or get in deeper. I guess we'll have to wait a few months to see how this plays out.

Passengers on the Maiden Voyage

9104241209_d72130fa3c_o.jpg

(Credit gocruiseuk)

Archived