Live From The Royal Princess

Shogun

"Good thing it didn't Cinque Terre is today and it is supposed ot be strenuous...have a feeling it will NOT be as strenuous.

We received notice due to dangerous conditions, we will not be doing a portion called hte Path of Love...no biggie...we had just done all the Florencian regular stuff last year- so I looked for something different."

B~

we are VERY interested to hear what you find out ........we are scheduled on that excursion and don't really want to simply take a boat from one end to the other, missing everything in between, and a bus back to the ship ! :eek:

Hi there

The walk of love more like walk of divorce did this and the next three villages the walk is mostly paved and not to bad however keep going and goat track comes to mind the bits with the rope to pull yourself up gives an idea of how steep it was great views however never trust a local taxi driver who drops of you of at one end and says see you at the other village we got a train back yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

"Good thing it didn't Cinque Terre is today and it is supposed ot be strenuous...have a feeling it will NOT be as strenuous.

We received notice due to dangerous conditions, we will not be doing a portion called hte Path of Love...no biggie...we had just done all the Florencian regular stuff last year- so I looked for something different."

B~

we are VERY interested to hear what you find out ........we are scheduled on that excursion and don't really want to simply take a boat from one end to the other, missing everything in between, and a bus back to the ship ! :eek:

We are in the same boat -- scheduled to take it but not sure about just a boat ride/shopping trip/bus ride. Please let us know about this.

Ann

Hi There

If you can wait a few weeks will try and get answer for you

Logic would be to give it to staff captain of Royal but Princess might go for more experienced Captain

Yours Shogun

Thank you Shogun. We are planning on booking Regal when we go on Royal in October, so will be interested in who the Captain will be.

I enjoyed all of your impressions of Royal Princess and can't wait to board her.

Marianne

Those of you who have sailed Royal, do you know if they offer the UBD since the balconies are so small? I thought I read somewhere on CC that it was not offered and I checked the website and it doesn't show up under "specialty dining" as it does on the other ships. We are booked on Dec. 8 sailing and were hoping to celebrate our anniversary and DH birthday by doing the UBD. That is very disappointing if not offered, but I guess we'll have to eat at the Crown Grill or Sabatini's instead. I assume that means there also is no balcony breakfast either?

Looking forward to this cruise on the Royal and all she has to offer, but sounds like we will be disappointed with the balconies, but we will survive!

Thanks for any info.

Those of you who have sailed Royal, do you know if they offer the UBD since the balconies are so small? I thought I read somewhere on CC that it was not offered and I checked the website and it doesn't show up under "specialty dining" as it does on the other ships. We are booked on Dec. 8 sailing and were hoping to celebrate our anniversary and DH birthday by doing the UBD. That is very disappointing if not offered, but I guess we'll have to eat at the Crown Grill or Sabatini's instead. I assume that means there also is no balcony breakfast either?

Looking forward to this cruise on the Royal and all she has to offer, but sounds like we will be disappointed with the balconies, but we will survive!

Thanks for any info.

Apparently they manage it. Someone who's sailed did it and posted pictures. They bring a table for the Dinner, not sure how they're going to handle the Breakfast..that little foot stool they call a table won't handle it.

Bernadette,

I also want to add my THANKS for taking the time from your vacation to report back on the ship. So much wonderful information you've added! I'm looking forward to your final review once you get back and a new LIVE report by Carole (sunsetbeachgirl) starting this Wednesday! :D

And for Carole:

A few more to add to my other list ;)

- Can you see if Sabatini's is now open for lunch?

- Also, if you can get a picture of the Main Dining Room breakfast and lunch menus and post them when you get back?

- What is it that Vines offers in the Sabatini Flights and Bites and how much is it?

- What are the evening dinner hours for Alfredo's?

- Princess Live! Cafe is suppose to offer some sort of 'light bites' in the morning. Can you see what that is and what it costs?

It would be greatly appreciated and have a GREAT cruise!!! :D:D:D

Thanks for any info.

Hi Cruisegirl,

I have reposted the photos form the UBD on the Ryal maiden. We were in a standard balcony and although it was a bit snug it was still great.They do bring a larger table .

DSCN0985.jpg.b73de4eda45d4dad45cb0322765c1fbd.jpg

DSCN1026.jpg.d3fde4cc1007cdbc499bc1a0b8e866bd.jpg

Hi Cruisegirl,

I have reposted the photos form the UBD on the Ryal maiden. We were in a standard balcony and although it was a bit snug it was still great.They do bring a larger table .

So, the rumors of the demise of the ultimate balcony dinner are greatly exaggerated. ;)

It's still very expensive. I would like to see someone report on the winemakers dinner. Looks like there is good value on that one.

To any of you that took that excursion on this trip:

Please post the details. Did it meet your expectations? How did current closures affect the planned itinerary.

Bottom line: Was it worth it or do you wish you had chosen another tour instead?

Mike

So, the rumors of the demise of the ultimate balcony dinner are greatly exaggerated. ;)

It's still very expensive. I would like to see someone report on the winemakers dinner. Looks like there is good value on that one.

As with all rumors, no doubt on FB.:p

I would like to hear about the Winemakers Dinner also.:)

But doesn't it sound to you, through the use of the phrase: "it was a bit snug", that dinner for 3 or 4 (or more) would be impossible? There are an awful lot of cabins that are marked on the deck plan as accomodating 3 or 4 people. Are all of those passengers excluded from the benefit of a balcony meal? I don't think that that is greatly exaggerated.

Hi there thanks for link

Re news paper article it takes about a chill out night club in the sanctuary at night although pic is of the Retreat first l have heard of this

Yours Shogun

Hi There

If you can wait a few weeks will try and get answer for you

Logic would be to give it to staff captain of Royal but Princess might go for more experienced Captain

Yours Shogun

I too would love any info on the Regal you can find out. We are doing the Regal and have been following the Royal since I think this one will get more hype due to the Godmother being Duchess/Princess Kate and the Regal and Royal are supposed to be sister ships.

To any of you that took that excursion on this trip:

Please post the details. Did it meet your expectations? How did current closures affect the planned itinerary.

Bottom line: Was it worth it or do you wish you had chosen another tour instead?

Mike

While we were not onboard the Royal, we took the ship's tour on this April's Ruby TA and would not recommend it. The closure of the lovers' walk was due to a land slide and probably won't be repaired yet. This is what we wrote to Princess after we returned home:

Since the seas were rough, we were unable to go by boat. Taking the tour by train was a nightmare. The crowds were so large (there were several other cruise ships in port) that despite being jammed into the train like sardines, many people who were not on the tours were actually left behind to take later trains. The destinations themselves were horribly overcrowded, making it impossible to enjoy the sites. We did have an excellent guide, Marcella, who did the best she could with a disgruntled group of disappointed passengers.

Thanks Jonikal....

That is exactly the sort of thing that we thought could be a result of the closures and rough seas.... and .... your experience in April confirms the worst. I think we will be changing to another tour from Livorno.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

But doesn't it sound to you, through the use of the phrase: "it was a bit snug", that dinner for 3 or 4 (or more) would be impossible? There are an awful lot of cabins that are marked on the deck plan as accomodating 3 or 4 people. Are all of those passengers excluded from the benefit of a balcony meal? I don't think that that is greatly exaggerated.

No. You can reserve a cabin with a larger balcony. There are larger balconies on the Royal than the one depicted in the UBD pictures for two. They are midship on all decks. Some are aft, and some are forward.:) We have reports to confirm their existence. You can see them on the deck plans also.

Archived